United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 17h 31m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So I'm going to start with Race Week. I got into town Wednesday evening. Made plans with Luis to swim Thursday morning at Tempe Beach Park. We stood in line and registered and planned for a bike ride. In the meantime, we found Betsy (biobabe) and her friend Lil. I ended up riding the course almost 2 hours with Betsy that day. Luis had to take his bike to the shop. I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing at this house we rented in Tempe. It was nice. I had dinner with some friends from my club that evening at Gordon B - Ray, Derek, Christina and Rupert. Thursday made plans with Faeron and Arlene (a friend from LATC) for a swim on Friday...what a different day it was at the lake when we arrived on Friday. It was packed and fun and exciting. Dave (Dave699) was there and came over and said hello. On our way out of the water we found another LATC friend Debbie. I hung out at registration with Arlene, Faeron and Dave. Later on I found Luis again and then in line I found Tanya (standswithfist) and Paulette (paulettejo). I also saw Max from LATC....this may not seem like that exciting of info to you but I want to remember everyone. I still probably forgot someone. Friday night at the athlete dinner me and my family sat with Tim (waterdogg)! I hadn't seen him since I registered for this race last year. Saturday morning took my bike and gear bags and dropped them off and then went to the airport to pick up Jackie and my coach Gerardo. Before I left the lake, I got to meet Julia (juliapurr) who had come to cheer and she had just taken a dip in the lake - what an amazing girl she is. After the airport, we made a quick stop at the store and back home for the pre-race party at my place ----thanks everybody for coming I had the best time! First to arrive was Jerry, his wife Sherry and son Trey, Todd G came with his son Luke but wasn't able to stay long. He dropped off the wristbands for everybody (which I still have a ton of if you want some let me know). Guests were Tanya, Paulette, Chris (cordova61), Rick (azstaterick), Todd (tcovert), Liz, Luis (velasqu7), TJ (Zilla), Dave and Carise (Mrs. Sapper), Jessica (jezzieswims) and her hubby Charlie, Faeron, her bf and her family, LATC friends Ray, Gerardo, Gary, Lisa, Cheryl, Jackie - how's that for a pre-race routine? All this time, I kept wondering when I was going to have the heart attack - the shitting a brick about the race - never happened!! Good times...seriously great times.
Event warmup:

No warm up - please it's Ironman!
Swim
  • 1h 31m
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was all good - no great! I just put my head down and swam. I got kicked in the face twice - not too bad but on the way back it could have been really bad if I hadn't picked up my head up just in time to notice that I was swimming up on Mr. Breast Stroke Man. Ugh! I actually had more contact on the way back than out to the turnaround. I found my groove quickly and swam into and sighted off the sun to the turn around. I hit the turnaround at 37 minutes. I was stoked. On may way back I managed to hold my own and swam just off the buoy line which is probably why I had more contact but that's where I stayed. At one point a girl swam over me and she stopped and said sorry and when I laughed and said it was okay she said you know what? I said what? and she yelled WE'RE SWIMMING AN IRONMAN SWIM! Hell yes!! I hit the stairs at 1:27! The volunteer helped me up and I had to stand there for a minute and get my head together and then off I went to the strippers - this is the coolest thing ever I have to say. Needless to say, I was ecstatic about my swim. You can see like ALL of my teeth in the picture I'm smiling so big. I LOVED IT.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I think I did great.
Transition 1
  • 22m 33s
Comments:

Ok, I know this was a long time. UGH! I got my bag no problem. I got into the tent and it was a mad house! My feet were like blocks of ice - I wasn't that cold coming out of the water but walking on the cement to the tent my feet got so cold they hurt. There was no place to sit and all the volunteers were helping someone. I just went to the corner and started doing my thing. It's hard to put clothes on a wet cold body. There was grass in there which was stuck on my feet and pretty much all my stuff that was on the ground. Finally got a mylar and sat down and put shoes on and everything else. I would get yelled at later by my friend Jackie and I quote, "What the hell were you doing in there?!"

Next time ( oh come on, you know there will be one!) I will wear the sports bra and top that I will wear the rest of the day. Hopefully I will have a volunteer to help me too. I honestly didn't even conceive of the notion that it might be crowded in there...I didn't expect to have such a kickass swim and not be last or close to it.
Bike
  • 7h 53m
  • 112 miles
  • 14.21 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride. I kept it steady and there was very little wind for us. It was in our faces on the way out on the first lap, in our faces on the way back to town on the second and kind of in the middle on the third loop. Just when it seemed to get long and kinda boring I hit the turn around and zoomed back to town. I saw Todd and Liz who were out at bike special needs - it was fantastic to see them so many times and I looked forward to it each loop. I saw Dave out there and I heard my name called out a bunch too by other folks but I didn't see in time who it was as they passed. Sorry about that but thank you for the shout - I felt great. Tim said hello as he was finishing up and I was heading out to my third. I was able to keep my tude in check and not get grumpy and sang songs when I was out there like "whatcha gonna do with all that junk? all that junk inside that trunk?" People are great at races..good job Dolores! nice work! Yeah, I had a good time out there. Oh and this was my longest ride ever!

Go faster - I'm faster this year than last year on the bike. I'll be working on it. But on this day I think I did well. I did awesome with my nutrition and water and didn't feel completely toasted when I was done.
Transition 2
  • 06m 20s
Comments:

Much better than T1 thanks to Jackie who I almost clocked. I love her but I wanted to hit her there for a sec. She yelled at me about my earlier transition and was up my ass to get me out on the run course as fast as possible. I didn't get to sit still even for that minute I was dreaming about the last half hour on the bike. Oh well.
Run
  • 7h 40m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 17m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where it got ugly (well at least not really ugly til mile 15). By the first mile marker - which I thought was so far away already - my PF foot had said hello. My right calf was tightening up. Great. Limping already. The plan was to do a 5/1 and I had hoped to get at least 18 miles in on the bum foot. That plan did not work - the stopping and starting running walking thing was killing me so I decided to only walk aid stations since it hurt less to run than it did to walk. That lasted til about mile 15. Up to that point, I felt pretty okay and the foot was holding up. I wasn't moving very fast but faster than walking. At about mile 15 my left IT band and hamstring decided to make an appearance and cramped up just enough to stop me from running, I changed strategies and tried a 2/1 which looking back on it now I don't know why I thought that would work if a 5/1 didn't work before but I just thought if I could run some it'd be better than walking. No go. At about this same time, I really started to dread that third loop. I saw Jessica twice on the run. She told me I looked great. Luis said that too when he passed me. They were on their third loops I think and really almost there. They looked awesome. The second loop really started to suck and I did not want to go out and do it again plus I was hurting. I admit it I wanted to sit down. I was not having fun and this was supposed to fun right? I rode that thought for a few miles but still didn't stop walking. I came across my friend Brandice at the start of the third loop and started crying. I also saw Todd and Liz again here and they had signs with my name on it! so cool - thank you! She walked with me and told me how she knew if I quit how pissed I'd be to just shut it and keep going. We got to aid stations and she didn't help - she made me do it and looking back now it really took my mind off things for a second. She kept saying I'd make it in time and I had begun to have a glimmer of hope that I could do 9 miles in 2 1/2 hours and I tried to walk faster. There was no more running by this time. I had made the cut off with some time but I had to really move. It hurt and it sucked and I hated that run course. I picked up my daughter and my dad at about mile 21 I think. My spirits were better but I had started to accept that I probably wasn't going to make it by midnight and Mike was not going to say my name. I was moving slower and I had to stop and pee at almost every aid station. My dad was so funny he kept saying where is that damn finish line? I can hear it but I can't see it! This is part of the deal..I knew that I'd hear it the whole time I was out there. Why I thought it was funny I don't know. The volunteers on the course kept saying those hateful things like "you're almost there" and "two more miles!" which were not true! It seemed like we heard "two more miles" like 3 times and then hit the 22 mile sign - that's 4.2 miles liar! The course sucked especially around that time. Can I ask you something? WTF was that smell by the bridge? and why was it so damned dark under that overpass by the horses? I almost fell on the ground right there! Anyway, Mike Reilly or not I was finishing the course - I was so close but not close enough. I just kept going. They offered me a ride back - no thanks. With about a mile and a half left walking through Tempe Beach Park with my daughter, my dad, my bff, my coach and 3 friends, I finally finished at 12:31 a.m.. I had an extra special finish. and hey, I FINISHED!

Lots.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My dumb foot and my slowness.

Event comments:

What an experience. I loved it. Ironman does things right. I can't wait to do it again but I probably won't until 2011 and somewhere else - I have to work on not hating that run course in Arizona. Thanks to all the BT friends out there on Sunday - I hope I didn't forget anybody. It meant a lot to me to have friends out there.

Last updated: 2008-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:31:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full Suit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 22:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:53:00 | 112 miles | 14.21 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back 3 times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
07:40:00 | 26.2 miles | 17m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat mostly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-29 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2009-11-29 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2534724

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona

You rock for pulling ourself out of that deep ,dark, icky place and FINISHING. 

Mike Reilly or no Mike Reilly, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!

Edited by QueenZipp 2009-11-29 4:31 PM
2009-11-29 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Yee!!! I love this race report! You are such a kicka$$ Ironman -- it's amazing and totally inspiring the way you kept plugging at it and fought your way to the finish. I love how much support you got from your friends and family too. It says so much about your character that you had such amazing people helping you along the way.

Major congratulations, Dolores. I hope I can be there cheering you in person at your next IM!
2009-11-29 5:08 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
You pushed through a tough run. I'm so proud of you for finishing. You really did look strong out there. Enjoy your recovery, you rock!
2009-11-29 6:13 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
It was so great to see you smiling away every time you rode by out there...you even looked downright cool and collected when we saw you at the start of the dreaded 3rd loop of the run.

Way to go sticking it out for 140.6!  We were really pulling for you after those sucky DNFs this summer.  Y'know if you do consider IMAZ again in 2011, you just might have Liz out there on the course with you...just sayin'.  

Congrats on the finish...enjoy your recovery!

(Oh, and thanks again for the party!)
2009-11-30 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Such a great Race report! So glad you finished and were able to share it with your family!

Sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you when you were here (racing at home actually made it tougher to make it to social events, LOL) but I am looking forward to seeing you train for another  

2009-11-30 9:26 AM

Pro
AZ
Way to stick with it and finish that bad boy!!!  Awesome swim and bike! I hear you on the tough run! BUT you never quit! that's what matters!!!  And the smell under the bridge......yeah....it's always there.  Tasty, huh? haha! Someone said once that it's run off from the horse stables, but I don't know.  It's just soooooo bad. Anyway....you'll get yours in 2011! I know it!
2009-11-30 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Who cares about what some stupid arbitrary number on a clock says? You finished.

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!
2009-11-30 12:35 PM

User image

Expert

Dolores! I'm so proud of you. What a long way you've come. You trained long and hard for this race and really put in a heck of a days work. If it wasn't for those pesky injuries you would have had it. I'm so glad you got to cross the finish line. As you know I was watching on line and man I was freaking out! I was so so happy to hear that you did it. Congratulations!

2009-11-30 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Dolores..way to get 140.6 miles done!

Very proud of you and glad you passed on that ride and finished with loved ones.

Great swim and bike...run was good until mile 15..best of all you kept going and overcame all obstacles put in your way.

Congrats!
2009-11-30 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Dolores, you are my hero.

Way to hang tough out there and make it happen. More often than not, a race like this is about how we handle what gets thrown at us throughout the day and you took it all in and finished strong.

It was so cool to see you out on the bike course. I got more than a bit of a charge out of it and was glad to see you finishing up the bike. (It was at that point I knew you were gonna finish)

Your motto "Never F**ing Quit, no matter what" sure helped me get through the day.

2011 is certainly going to be your year as you pick up your 2nd Ironman. (But where is it going to be???) If you looking for a great course, check out Coeur d'Alene. Water can be a bit cool but it is green and leafy and quite a contrast from Phoenix.

Take care and recover well.

2009-11-30 2:23 PM

User image

Master
I'm with Slave Driver. You DID do the whole thing! How many other people in this world got up that morning and did what you did?  That was a great race report, it was great to see you, and you're going to do great next time too without having to deal with those crappy injuries!

P.S. Thanks for the swim pic link.  It was pretty funny   

2009-11-30 8:48 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

I am so proud of you!

You put in a great year of training and you just kept going out there.  What a GREAT role model you are for your daughter!!!

2009-11-30 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
you have a heart of a champion....rather.....a heart of an IRONMAN!!!!

great race report. I think it's my favorite one I've read for IMAZ!

CONGRATS
2009-12-01 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Great race report, Dolores! You are awesome! I got teary eyed reading the end of it when you finished. But, I really enjoyed things like your party (wish I could've gone!), the stanky bridge, the woman who talked to you during the swim, the fact that that you wanted to clock your friend, the volunteers lying about the mileage, and your dad wondering where the finish line was! So fun to read! No matter what, you are an ironman in my book! Cool
2009-12-01 5:45 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Great RR......YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!  Congrats on sticking it out through a painful run.  Yep, 3 loops on that course was a killer.

2009-12-03 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
I am so, so impressed with you. Way to gut it out! I have so much respect for you saying no thanks to the ride and finishing the race. Totally awesome. That is really something to be proud of.
2009-12-03 9:12 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Super committment out there!! Very proud of your effort the whole day and going the full distance! Congratulations. I think I saw you on the run, but wasn't sure if it was you or not--talked to Dave later and asked if you had an LA Tri Top and he said yes. Sorry I didn't say hi!!
2009-12-04 3:57 PM

Dolores - you remind me so much of a gal I know named Joan!  She's one hell of a broad; doesn't let anything get her down, and smart?  OMG - she's a wealth of knowledge!!  She got me out of some jams, let me tell yah.  You know, reading your race report was magical -- I felt like i was there.  You're an IronMan Dolores - plain and simple.   You did it.  You know my motto?  Nothing worse than shoulda, coulda, woulda.  You did EFI!!!!  You can look back on that starry (stinky) night and know you did it.  All of it!!  Not part and then got some ride from some flirty Irish guy in an Explorer - nope; you did all of it!!  YES DOLORES: YOU DID IT!  As such, you...are...an...ironman.  Oh hell yeah, and you know i'm going to be right there with you for 2011.  Some race somewhere is gonna be really sorry he messed with us!!

xoxo

2009-12-04 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Well done on a tough day.  This distance is tricky.  You need a lot to go right and the volume is very tough on the body.  You completed an amazing journey.   One that very few people will ever complete.  I had PF earlier this year. It is not nice. I 'm not sure I could have done 26 with PF blowing up. You are tough. 
2009-12-06 6:30 PM

User image

Dolores got her official finisher's medal from the official people!  And although not in Mike Reilly's voice, she did get to hear "Dolores Schutzman, you are an IRONMAN!!!" from our club announcer, and got a rousing ovation from the 200 or so people in our tri club. 

We love you, Dolores!

2009-12-06 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Gail!  Oh wow you posted that picture.  Thank you.  I wanted to add to the report that after I finished one of the race directors told me that I should come to the awards banquet that he could probably "scare up a medal for me". I went to the banquet the next morning and gave my information to them and was told that they would mail it to me. This past Friday I got a package in the mail in it contained a finisher's medal, hat and T-shirt!! Yay!! Weeee!!  I didn't want to say anything before I got it just in case I didn't get it.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed