Mike and Marti Greer
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 03m 49s
Overall Rank = 373/751
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 51/66
Pre-race routine:

Awake at 4 AM. Ate the usual - OJ, Golean bar, coffee, milk. Packed up and drove the event site. Setup transition area. It's great when the transition spaces are assigned. Need to buy a head light. It was tough to do this in the dark. Visited the porta potty as many times as possible. I had scouted out the tranisition area the day before.
Event warmup:

Swam in the beach cove; mostly just to get wet and adjust the wetsuit and goggles.
Swim
  • 38m 36s
  • 1930 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim started out much better than at the Buffman & Squeaky Oly. I started about mid pack and to the outside. This was a good position. I didn't get swum over like at Buffman. I didn't have the breathing problems that I had at the Buffman. My navigation was not good. I kept pulling to the right. At times I was way off the bouy line and had to turn back towards the bouy. About midway through I noticed some of the white Jazz caps from the speedy young ladies in the wave behind my wave. This was kind of a bummer. When I saw those caps I thought maybe I was swimming much slower than I was actually swimming. Overall the swim was pretty uneventfull. My goal time was 39 minutes. I beat my goal by a few seconds. This is also the fastest pace I've swum in a race.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim straight. I know I swam some extra yardage just because of pulling to the right.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

In my race plan I put in 2 minutes for each transition. I didn't realize how far we would have to run back to our bikes. My wetsuit got stuck around my ankles. I tried to do the step-on-the-wetsuit-pull-the-foot-out thing, but that didn't work. I think it's better to just sit down and slide my feet out.

Sit to take the wetsuit off. I tried to take it off standing up. Why? I don't know. Open up the bike shoes. Once again I forgot to undo the shoe straps.
Bike
  • 3h 01m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

I had been doing a lot of reading about triathlons. In Gordo's book "Going Long" he says long course strategy is about 'not slowing down'. In other words, find a pace you can maintain in all 3 sports for the duration. Ride the bike too fast and the run suffers.

So, I planned to ride the first half hour in z1-2, the next hour in z2 and the last hour and a half in z2-3. Well it didn't quite work out that way. As it turned out, I rode most of the race in z2-3. Anyway, I planned not to ride the bike as hard as at the Buffman. At the Buffman my HR averaged 157 and my run suffered. Here my HR averaged 148 and I ran better. I also changed my bike to a 12x27 (instead of 12x23). That helped also.

I love this course. I loved the hills. The Spiral Staircase was fun. The whole bike course was a blast to ride.

On big rides like this, riders tend to group together based on speed. I played 'cat and mouse' with a group of riders. There were two Clydesdales that would pass me on the flats and then I would pass them on the hills. We went back and forth like this for just about the whole race. Finally, on the last climb I passed them and didn't see them again. There was also a woman that I passed on the hills and she would pass me on the flats. With about 10 miles to the finish she passed me. I looked at her calf and she had a 52 written on it! That's what's so amazing about this sport; pro's, elites, men, women, all ages competing on the same course. And you never know who will kick your butt on any given day.

At the half way point I was feeling great - relaxed, hydrated, strong. So, I decided to kick it up an notch and went to the top of z3 and lower z4. With about 10 miles to go I went to z4 (and still got passed by a 52 year old woman!).

My hydration went well. Drank two bottles of Cytomax and ate 3 Gu. Also, drank half a bottle of plain water. I planned to eat 4 Gu but couldn't get the last dose of Gu out of my Gu flask. I think Bento box would work better than a flask.

I rolled into T2 and beat my goal time of 3:07:00. And my pace was the same as Buffman - 18.5 mph. That made me happy to ride the same pace, on more hills, at a longer distance and with a lower average HR!

Not much. I'm pretty happy with this ride. I could say ride harder, but then my run would suffer.
Transition 2
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

This was a long transition. I had to pee really bad during the last 10 miles of the bike. I considered stopping on the bike to pee but decide to wait until T2. It felt like I was in the porta potty for an hour.

Undo the shoe laces.
Run
  • 2h 16m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my limiter. I had two goals for the run - a time of 2:10:00 and not to walk any of the run.

The bike to run transition was easy. I got right into the run. This might have been due to the long T2. After the first mile split I thought this is too fast. I slowed my pace and kept a steady pace for the first 9 miles.

I ran up the hills. There were lots of people walking up the hills and I began to wonder if I was using the wrong strategy of running up the hills. I mean everyone was walking up the hills. I stuck to my plan and didn't walk. I hate running down the hills. I would rather run up a hill than down.

I ran pretty easily to the half way point and turned for the finish. At this point I started looking at my watch closely. My goal was to go sub 6 hours. When I got to the half way point it appeared I might be able to go sub 6. With about 4 miles to go my watch said 5:20. That meant I needed to run less than 10 min/mile. I thought I would give it a try. I still had one hill to run up before the down hill to the 10 mile mark and only 3 miles to the finish. I was pretty tired by this time and my legs were acheing. About half way up the hill I had to stop and walk. I walked for about a minute and then started running again. One run goal missed. I hit the 3 mile to go mark with about at about 5:30:00. Still had to run sub 10 min miles to go sub 6. Tried to run faster but there wasn't much left in my legs. At two miles to go I realized I couldn't make the sub 6 and walked through an aid station. And walked through the final aid station. I ran the final mile to the finish.

All in all it was a good run for me. Even though it was a long, hard, hot run I still felt more comfortable running than I ever have.

Start slower and stick to the plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and was kind of delerious. I was looking for my wife and walking around and turning around and couldn't find her. She was standing not 20 feet away taking pictures of me! Drank a bottle of Endurox. Met up with the rest of the BT gang. Drank more. Ate some watermelon. Drank a Coke. Then almost puked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running needs improvement. Run lots!

Event comments:

This is a tough course. But I enjoyed it. The race is well organized.

My overall goal time was 6:00:00. I missed it by 3:49. I could have saved that amount of time by better transitions. Oh well, I was still happy with my performance.

It was great meeting the BT'ers - Cavu9, jldicarlo, kaenolani, christy, joe_m, alpine87, grvfrog. Thanks guys for a great time.

Last updated: 2005-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:36 | 1930 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 48/66
Overall: 377/751
Performance: Average
Avg HR 152
Suit: Pro Motion Full
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle. From the beach, out through a narrow pass, then east into the rising sun, north across the lake, turn west, then south and exit at the boat ramp.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:20 | 56 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/66
Overall: 341/751
Performance: Good
Average HR 148
Wind: Strong
Course: Modified out and back with 8 hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:16:12 | 13.1 miles | 10m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/66
Overall: 405/751
Performance: Average
Average HR 156 I forgot to hit the lap button on my watch a couple of times. But here they are anyway: Mile splits 1 - 9:30 2 - 9:54 3 - 10:24 4 - 10:25 5 - 10:24 6 - 10:22 7 - 11:13 8 - 10:00 9 - 9:58 10 - 10:50 11 - 10:53 12 - 11:10 13 - 11:16
Course: Out and back with 3 hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 11:40 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Half Ironman

Great to see and meet the BT'ers at Buffalo Springs - Cavu9, Alpine87, Joe_M, grvfrog, kanoelani, christy, jldicarlo.  Thanks guys for the good times.

TJ

Edited by zia_cyclist 2005-06-27 11:50 PM

2005-06-28 12:55 AM
in reply to: #185047

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Half Ironman

Wow!  That's an awesome report.  Sounds like you were able to execute your plan pretty much to the minute which is great.

I also suffer from the miss-the-goal-time-by-a-couple-of-minutes syndrome.  I think I have a goal time, and then my body wants to hit that time exactly, only usually its off by a couple of minutes (in the wrong direction, naturally

2005-06-28 3:27 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Fabulous race Tommy!  Your bike was awesome!  You really rocked on what sounds like a difficult course.  Congratulations!  Now...when is your IM?? 
2005-06-28 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Great race!  But I think you are still delirious if you are saying you love the course and hills...sick sick sick sick sick!

Awesome job though!

2005-06-28 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Great race! I think you did amazing.
2005-06-28 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I agree - the bike course is like a scary rollercoaster!  "Can we do it again Dad?"  
Looks like I'll be going back and reading "Going Long" for more useful tips.   You had an excellent race!  Great job sticking to your plan.

Hope to see you at more bars races   That was a fun weekend!

2005-06-28 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Great race Tom.  Enjoyed meeting you and your wife.  This was a great race weekend and a memorable time for me...thanks for being a part of it!
2005-06-28 7:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Sounds like you had a great time and race!   Way to go!  I would like to do that one some time soon!
2005-06-28 8:49 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Awesome race!  I love the "cat and mouse" thing......drives me crazy when that happens!  You did great!
2005-06-28 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Good race... looks like you had a good time...

Wished I could say the same... seems like at some point during the race, my body decided to come down with a cold. Made the run absolutely miserable... and, that evening even worse.

Great to see you and your family...

Joe Moya

2005-06-29 1:06 AM
in reply to: #185935

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Great race.

2005-06-29 8:41 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great race!  Nice job on the bike sticking to your plan.  I hope I can show the same discipline when I do my 1/2.  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Half Ironman Rss Feed