General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 39m 51s
Overall Rank = 208/266
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 37/41
Pre-race routine:

(Overall is female only)
Friday: Drove from Minneapolis with my friend/racemate Carrie. Took about 5.5 hours and my shoulders were sore - great. Drove to the park for our packets and then drove all but 3 miles of the course. Our hotel was nearby and really nice, except for a strange smell to our room. Unfortunately that ended up permeating everything we owned... eww! Had a nice dinner at Shipwrecked, which ended up being right on the run course.

Saturday: Got up and did a short ride (on part of the run course, near our hotel) and quick run. Went back to the race site around noon. The sprint in the morning was finishing up. We got in the water for a practice swim and I was very nervous. The water was wavy and we learned later that 30-something folks were pulled from the water. Crazy, considering it was only a 1/4 mile swim. This didn't bode well! I felt like swimming was impossible with the current/waves and I was in no way better prepared for my swim because of it. I spent the rest of Saturday worrying. We also attended the race meeting, which was very informative and well worth our time. Met some family/friends for an early dinner and managed to get to bed around 9:30 and slept fairly well.

Sunday: 4 came around WAY too early. The forecast was for rain overnight and it was cool and wet, but not really raining like we were worried. I packed my things in the race packet bag instead of my tribag just in case, and used individual bags for my run and bike stuff too. Had my usual breakfast of bagel, pb, banana and coffee and had some ibuprofen just in case :) Packed up the car and headed to the race site. We ended up being in the first 20 or so cars. We walked our stuff to the transition area, which we hadn't seen until today. It was so sweet - we had individually marked spots. It was so easy we could have slept in for another hour! Oh well. We milled around the race start area looking for our crew for a while. They announced they'd be delaying the race for 30 minutes due to a storm coming towards us. We did get rained on periodically, but it never got very bad. Amazingly, the water was FLAT. I must live under a lucky star! I couldn't believe it!

I walked back to transition to grab my wet suit before it closed and found my mom. I told her to meet at the swim start, but it was a little confusing to her not being a racer. When I saw her I immediately teared up in relief of seeing someone who would sympathize with me. I was still really worried about the swim and had so many pent up emotions about the whole event. She calmed me down and we got my stuff and walked back. Then we stood around and waited. Carrie's wave was 13 and mine 14, so we had a long time to watch the other swimmers start.
Event warmup:

I decided to wear my noseplug, a "crutch" I haven't used for a year in races or the pool. I am so glad. I did a little swimming to get used to that again and get wet. I was so glad to see the water was more than manageable compared to the day before. I finally was able to get lined up on the beach and head toward the start.
Swim
  • 45m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I set off and maintained my cool the entire time! I couldn't believe it. I just swam carefully from buoy to buoy and got it done. I have no complaints. Even stayed cool when the waves from behind passed me. When I got to the swim exit and I popped up much to the surprise of my fans. They knew I was worried and were stunned by my time. Victory!
What would you do differently?:

Not worry so much!
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Used wet suit trippers for the first time. Next time I can do this even faster, but I talked to them for a few seconds. Pretty cool. My transition area was in a great position, right on the main path for bike and run in/out. So lucky. I popped on the hydration backpack, glasses, helmet and shoes and was off. We were arranged by number so ladies in my AG were nearby. Fortunately being a slow swimmer makes finding my bike pretty easy :)

Be ready for the strippers.
Bike
  • 3h 21m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

This was harder than I hoped. Started out into a headwind as we headed south to Sturgeon Bay. Then we headed into the country for an out and back with a loop and some moderate hills. It rained pretty steadily for about miles 20-40 at least. Carrie's family/friends cheered for us at about 10 places which was amazing. I passed Carrie after an hour, so we gave them a little challenge watching for us.

In my training rides I always allowed myself some longer pit stops, which was a mistake. I was getting pretty sore on this ride. Unfortunately the valve on my hydration pack was leaking, but the rain took care of that. I did managed to drink my whole 70 ounces of sport drink (500 cals) and take 4 gel bursts every 30 mins or so. With the rain I didn't take a lot of water, but I didn't let up on the nutrition otherwise. That was my main goal.

Around mile 40 I started to get really bored and really tired of the whole ride. I stopped for a potty around there and it helped to get off the bike for a minute. Around mile 50 I realized my tire looked pretty low in the front so I stopped to check it - yep, soft. I only had such a short distance left, so I checked the tire for any obvious problems and when I didn't see any I decided to inflate it a little and keep going. This was my first use of the co2 cartridge and fortunately it worked as advertised. I tucked it in my pocket and rode until mile 53. I stopped again and reinflated, this time getting the little inflator stuck on the valve - ARGH! Fortunately I managed to get it off and rode it in. It never went completely flat, so I was happy and think I made the right decision. I am not great at changing tires and it was gritty, I might had suffered another flat.

More riding, less stopping on training rides.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

I decided to use the portpotty in transition, which wasn't the best use of time due to layout. Otherwise I was very fast and happy with how it went.

Hold it.
Run
  • 2h 27m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was mostly amazing. I left transition and felt immediately comfortable and ticked off mile after mile around a 10 m/m pace. I alternated sport drink and gels at each aid station, so that took some time (walked). The hill at 3 wasn't as bad I thought it might be. Running through Egg Harbor was fun and saw my crew at the corner by Shipwrecked. I felt amazing and they looked pretty surprised to see that I was happy! The hill at 6 was intense and I walked as did most around me. There was a sweet downhill back to Egg Harbor, saw the family/friends again, and then continued south. Until now I ran the whole time except for the aid station and just felt like I was in someone else's body. It was very overcast and drizzly - my kind of weather.

After mile 9 started the bluff (FINALLY) and it was much worse than I thought it would be. I seriously could have crawled or used the guardrail to pull me up. It was hard to stay excited. The crowd was really helpful and Carrie's mom walked partway down to walk with me, which was really really nice. I crested the hill to more cheers and was really glad to be done.

Despite this victory, and knowing it was virtually downhill from there, this is where it started to get really hard. I hadn't run much beyond 10.5 miles in training in a long time. The bluff hill took a lot from me. The next stretch is long and flat and so many people were walking, it was hard to stay motivated. I alternated a slow run/ short walk and soon ran across my new BT friends. Walked with them for a minute before I decided I better get my move on. Used the very tilted portapotty around mile 11, scary but necessary. I've never pottied so much in a race before, but it was all good. Finally hit mile 12 and tried really hard to be positive. By now my knees and quads really hurt. The last 1/3 mile or so is straight downhill and it was AWFUL. There were lots of folks cheering, even more folks leaving (sigh) and I was really hurting. I "ow ow ow"ed my way down the hill. Then I see the finish and I'm ready to cry again, which happens to me sometimes. I was never so glad to be finished and mostly held it together until I passed my family/friends and the photographer. Then I was so overcome that everyone who saw me was worried, thinking I was cramping or otherwise hurt. I assured them I was okay, just a baby. Got the medal and left the chute to meet my mom.

Run splits: 9:43, 10:24 (Gatorade), 10:14, 10:42 (gel), 10:50 (Gatorade), 11:19 (hard hill), 11:19 (other half of hill, gel), 10:40, 11:24 (bluff), 14:05 (this must be where I hit the potty) , 12:43, 11:22, 12:30.

More training never hurts. A mental toughness might have sped me up a little at the end. But all in all, this went about as well as I could have hoped. This is not my best half marathon, but it's actually a minute faster than my worst standalone half :)
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched my glutes which were super tight. I needed to head back to the finish to wait for Carrie and she was through soon. Was a huge relief that we were done! I still can't believe it.

I couldn't stand to drink any more water. I then felt a tiny bit queasy so I got a bbq sandwich and Fresca and felt a lot better. Packing up and leaving a race is always such a buzz kill.

All in all I have no regrets about this day and was really lucky to have my friend Carrie to share it with, as well as my mom for making the trip.

Event comments:

This really is the best executed race I've encountered. The area is beautiful, everything was wonderfully organized and I really enjoyed it. While I don't feel the need to return, I would recommend this race to anyone. I am looking forward to passing this message on to the RD.

Last updated: 2009-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/41
Overall: 226/266
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full Velocity 3
Course: Dog-leg right about 700 yards, then returned wide to the swim exit approximately 150 yards past the swim start. Each buoy was numbered so you figure out your progress and evenly spaced. The most perfectly measured and set-up swim course I've ever done.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:21:53 | 56 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/41
Overall: 221/266
Wind:
Course: Started out fairly flat with a headwind, then rolling hills into the countryside. Really pretty scenery, pretty good roads.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:27:10 | 13.1 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/41
Overall: 198/266
Course: Mostly flat except for 3 decent hills around 3/4, 6 and 9/10. Very glad I knew the course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-20 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman

2010-07-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2993283

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman
Nice job out there.  You left me in the dust just after the bluff there!  Great to meet you too!

I think you should do the bluff every year! :-P
2010-07-20 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Superb race!  Sounds like you had a plan and stuck to it, which paid off.  Congrats on your first half.  Guess I need to start writing my rr now...
2010-07-20 9:07 PM

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Awesome job!!! It was great to see you before the race. Pretty awesome that you had the cheer crew with you to witness your first half:-)

So, you've got your first half under your belt... what's next?
2010-07-21 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
WAY TO GO! Be proud!
2010-07-21 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Awesome job! Great RR - i could totally feel your anxiety over the swim.  But you rocked!

2010-07-21 10:41 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Congrats, Em! Great race.
2010-07-21 11:04 AM

User image

Elite

Great job and a great report.  I am very impressed with how you had a plan and you followed through with everything.  Great pacing, hydration and nutrition stratedgy.  You da bomb Emily!!  Might as well sign up for Madison with me next year now.

2010-07-21 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2994713

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Regarding the plan:  Hiring a coach, pretty simple!  I am motivated by money, as it turns out

Regarding IM: Hells no!  I'll never luck out like this again with good weather (yes, rain and cool is good).  Anyway, I couldn't be more happy to be done.  I couldn't/won't do double.

mndiver - 2010-07-21 11:04 AM

Great job and a great report.  I am very impressed with how you had a plan and you followed through with everything.  Great pacing, hydration and nutrition stratedgy.  You da bomb Emily!!  Might as well sign up for Madison with me next year now.

2010-07-21 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2994779

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Awesome job & great report - CONGRATS!!
2010-07-21 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job Emily, I knew you'd rock!  Way to execute your plan!

2010-07-21 1:20 PM

User image

Great job! Congrats on your first HIM!!!
2010-07-21 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

woooo hoooo! Great job!

I did the sprint there a few years ago and really, really liked it! Super organized and lots of nice extra goodies.

2010-07-21 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Nice job on your first HIM , Emily!  I always like reading your race reports. 
2010-07-21 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

Great Job!  I did the sprint the day before and was so happy to see calm waters and overcast skies for everyone out there on Sunday.  You rocked it!!

2010-07-21 6:01 PM

Although it would have been nice to see you at HOLT, I can give you a pass if you put in a race like that!  Very nicely done and enjoy that proud feeling that you have definitely earned.

2010-07-21 8:00 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Nice job Emily.  I did Door County Oly in its first year, so I know how tough that bluff hill is.  We escaped most of the rain at Racine 70.3 on the same day.  Congrats!

2010-07-22 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Congrats on a great race Emily!
2010-07-23 11:23 AM

woooooT!!  and a big ^5  great job!!

i did have to lol @ "What would you do differently?:Hold it." regarding your potty break!
2010-07-23 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3000165

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Thanks Brooke   I laughed when I wrote that - wondered if anyone would notice.  It's true!

smartstrongsexy - 2010-07-23 11:23 AM woooooT!!  and a big ^5  great job!!

i did have to lol @ "What would you do differently?:Hold it." regarding your potty break!

2010-08-04 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3000357

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Congrats on the great race and great report!

2010-08-04 4:00 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
great report... I admire your sense of humor and stick-to-it-ness. I don't think I could change a bike tire too quickly and have yet to use a cartridge myself. he he.
Nice job!
2010-08-13 12:35 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Emily, you have such a great up beat attitude. Nice race report and congrats to you. I did this race a couple years ago and you are absolutely right that the RD does an incredible job.
2010-08-13 6:27 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats!

Door County is so beautiful great location for HIM.

Super execution..you should be proud...nice first HIM.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed