General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
competitor.com
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was really excited about this race cause it's VEGAS and I *heart* Vegas. Plus I got a free entry from my girlfriend who works for a sponsor. Can't beat that.

Flew out Friday night after work, and immediately hit the town. Met up with Appa and Kido and saw Mrs. Kido's show (again) - very fun. Headed to the expo Saturday and it was such a cluster I could hardly handle it. Thousands of people. In your personal space. So loud. So obnoxious. I must be getting old. Met up with Eric there and hung out with him the rest of the day/night. Randomly saw Amber and her crew in the Wynn - awesome! Mexican the night before and I estimate I walked between 5 and 7 miles all day. Probably the worst thing I could have done the day before a race. By the end of the day, everything in my body hurt. My chest/pecks (?), tricepts (?), quads, inner/outer thighs, and especially my feet. DUMB LISA.
Event warmup:

Walked about a mile from Tropicana to the start line at Mandalay Bay with Eric. It was so calm and surreal to see the strip completely shut down from all traffic. Watched the sun rise as we made our way to gear bag drop off, porta potties, and the coralls. Said bye and good luck to Eric (his first full marathon!) and found Corall 11.

While I was shivering, I saw a guy with the Wichita Marathon shirt on - he was from Winfield and we chatted for about 15 minutes before the waves started going off. Shuffled up to the start line, which was really cool - music/band was playing and LOTS of energy and excitement. Fun fun!
Run
  • 2h 26m 11s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I wasn't in shape to PR (2:05) but I wanted to hit around a 2:15, which I thought was completely do-able. Boy was I wrong.

The first couple of miles I was just under 10/min/mile and feeling really good. Loving the chaos of the thousands of runners, loving the energy and costumes - OH THE COSTUMES! Elvis's, Sesame Street characters, Santas, Elves, Lady Gaga, showgirls, you name it. So awesome. I even ran through the first 2 or 3 aid stations without having to stop , just grabbed the cups and kept going (BTW, that lemon Cytomax was GOOD!!).

But then around mile 5 or 6, my pace slowed to a 10:45ish even though I felt I was exerting the same amount of energy as before. It was bizarre. I was pushing hard, but not going anywhere! Very frustrating, and confusing. Then EVERYTHING started to hurt. My feet (BAD), my quads, my hammies, my calfs... basically everything below my hips except for my knees (which is odd in itself that my knee didn't hurt).

I nursed my GU from mile 6.5-7.5 thinking it would pep me up. It didn't. I started taking walk breaks - just felt super achy all over. Very very slowly the miles ticked away and I just kind of gave up on everything. I still had fun people watching, and I even stopped to pet some dogs at one point. I mean, who cares at this point, right?

Shuffled the last few miles so slowly, I was in a lot of pain and so very frustrated. So very, very frustrated.
What would you do differently?:

Rest the day before.
Post race
Warm down:

Medal, picture with showgirl, little bit of food, gear bag. Then I headed to the finish line cause I didn't want to miss Eric coming in. Made friends with some ladies from Canada and they let me come right up to the gate so I could watch. Got a good pic of Eric coming down the chute (woohoo! 3:28 for his first marathon!) and then headed to the Family Reunion area and Brett Michaels concert.

The concert was actually way more entertaining than I thought it would be! Met up with Cord, Eric and Eric's friend Tater and we jammed out with Brett. Best part of the day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Body fatigue. Lack of speed work. Mental shut-down.
When I got home I checked my first half marathon time to see, and yup, this one was 2 minutes SLOWER than that one. This was my 8th half marathon and it was by far, my worst performance ever. Sad face.

Event comments:

Obviously the Rock 'n' Roll series knows how to put on a great event and a great party! A huge race, but so much fun. A bit of advice to anyone thinking about it: block off most of the day before and reserve it for RESTING YOUR FEET! It's way too easy to get caught up in "Vegas" and inadvertently walk miles and miles and miles the days before. Save the sightseeing and such for the days after the race. Lesson learned.

Last updated: 2010-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:11 | 13.2 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Up and down the Las Vegas strip.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-06 8:07 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon

2010-12-06 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3239027

User image

Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon
I was looking for you but didn't see you!  Glad you had a good time in Vegas... you should definetly come back next year and join in on some of the great tri's we have.
2010-12-07 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3239103

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have always worried about that being a problem for this race - good to know.  Sometimes bad races happen to good people, tough lesson to live with.  It looks like it was a fun trip otherwise!  Way to stick it out.

2010-12-07 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3239903

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm glad you had fun!  It's a BIG race, and it's hard not to feel like cattle...  And I agree with EVERYTHING based on last year...

From the expo, the crowds, the costumes, even the lemon Cytomax!  YUMMY!!!!
2010-12-07 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Nice RR..

way to stick with it even though it was tough..

You finsihed it thats all that matters in the end.. go back next year and kick butt..

i have a plan to do all 17 rnr races..
2010-12-07 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I can relate.

To just about everything you said. Except that 2:26 would be a huge PR for me!

Foot pain is the WORST. You stuck with it, though, and did great. You enjoyed yourself in Vegas.... and isn't that the MOST important thing??

xxoo

2010-12-07 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Some races are just tough! Who knows why.  Great job at sticking it out and making it as fun as possible!  I like petting dogs too! And you got a fun trip out of it.

The next one will be better!

2010-12-07 8:26 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Shake it off!  We all have off days....you've proven you can do much better and you'll do it again!!
2010-12-08 3:19 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Way to HTFU and get to the finish. I am jealous that I wasn't there this time. Hope you had a good time in the desert!
2010-12-08 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
mmm... Lemon Cytomax - sounds yummy! That stinks about your race, but you can't be too hard on yourself after the awesome year you've put together up to this point!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed