General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Trail Run - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Trail Run - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Issaquah, Washington
United States
4th Dimension Racing
33F / 1C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 46m 31s
Overall Rank = 82/170
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/35
Pre-race routine:

Granola w/soy milk and some coffee at home with the fam. Shoot the breeze with hubs and son (daughter at a sleepover).
Event warmup:

Sit in car playing on phone, keeping warm. Shiver a bit during pre-race briefing, then warm up on the trails after the race started.
Run
  • 2h 46m 31s
  • 13.99 miles
  • 11m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

My first true trail race beyond a 10K in Bridle Trails, which is nothing like these trails!! Steve (SWBKRUN) threw down the challenge to run this race, and I took it. Glad I did!! It was super hard for me, but it was a good experience and fun to try to prepare for it by doing some longer runs on Cougar and also on the course. Going into the day I had three goals: 1) No injuries or rolled ankles. 2) Don't finish last. 3) Hit a 2:45 or faster.

It was fun to scope out people during the pre-race briefing -- I didn't really know anyone here (never saw two guys I had run with the previous weekend who were supposed to race). One woman totally stood out -- she had on more makeup than Tammy Faye decked out as a French whore on
Halloween. What is up with that??!! (Mind you, my best friend Abbe puts on makeup before her races so she'll look good for her photos, and I give her endless shit about it. I'm just not a make up kinda gal!!) Was surprised that this woman was out on these rugged trails, figured with her there I could meet my goal of not being last (is that totally mean??!!)!

Started off with a downhill down a wide trail, then you turn right and just start going straight up. Ooof. I put my head down, focused on my breathing, took little steps, and just started channeling my inner little engine that could. But wait!! All of these people were totally walking, WTF?? On the first hills? WHATEVER!!! Passed a bunch of them as I chugged along. Then there was some downhill, and here came all of the people I had already passed zooming by me... including Tammy Faye!! Holy shit! I knew I was slow at downhills but this was not good. I also got a glimpse of how this was gonna go... all of these people were gonna walk the uphills and then pass me on the downhills. Damn!! Oh well, I'd do what I could and try to get ahead of them on the ups and go from there. Just can't be last.

Powered along up the hills, oh they are steep. Made it to the first aid station and stopped for some water and powered a couple of chomps. (In a trail race you stop at the aid stations -- none of this grab-and-go -- so people bunch up a bit.) Tammy Faye took off ahead of me and this was not OK. I had a new goal on the day... don't let this make-up-clad woman beat me. I passed her in short order as we had more climbing, but I knew there would be a lot of downhill into the bog before the turn-around at 8-ish miles. I'd have to do what I could.

Sure enough, heading down I got passed and passed and passed. But I didn't roll my ankles and I tried to push a wee bit past my comfort zone. I get really nervous about having a fall that will lead to (another) injury, so I am fairly conservative. It's OK, it works for me. Of course Tammy Faye zoomed by me (she was a little jack-rabbit on those downhills) with numerous others. Must not be last -- remember there is a lot of up after the turn-around and you can make up time. This mentality was totally new to me -- I am so used to being the last one up hills with the company I keep!

Cool to have an out-and-back part of the race as you got to see the lead stud-muffins powering up as you are heading down. Damn, they are fast! And there were plenty of ladies kicking some serious ass as well. Awesome!! Saw my friend Porter, who was in for the 50K -- he's pretty much a stud and was looking good to me, fun to give him a shout-out. I had no idea where the turn-around was, so seeing people coming back I really didn't know how far ahead of me they were. Oh well, keep chugging along. Saw Tammy Faye -- damn, how far in front was she and could I catch her?? Ahhh well, just run my race, do my thing, remember my three goals.

I knew after the turn-around things were gonna be hard for quite awhile. What goes down must come up. I kept hearing Steve in my head ("There's no walking on Cougar!!" "Steady does it -- finish going up with enough in the tank to continue on without needing to stop." "Focus on your breathing -- concentrate on the exhale."). You get the picture. Sorry to admit this, Steve, but I did end up walking sometimes going up. I was surrounded by walkers and it was steep and hard and, well, I was still working super hard and doing my best. I did pass Tammy Faye coming up from the turn-around and I figured I'd work to put distance between her and me so she wouldn't catch me at the end. I fell into pace with a young gal for most of that stretch. She was behind me for a bit, then I let her pass, then I passed her again (while she was walking and I wasn't, yeah!) -- we weren't talking much, but I think we both appreciated having each other there. I tried to keep my walking to a minimum and when I'd see people walking ahead I'd try to catch them and pass them (knowing they'd probably get me at the next downhill, but whatever).

Finally made it back to the aid station -- knew we only had about 3 miles left. Stopped and chugged some water and some EFS and had some chomps. Tried not to lollygag it... looked up and here came Tammy Faye. Shit!! I took off.

Was still running with my girlfriend who did the climbs with me. When we made it to the turn-off back to the main trail I knew we had about 2+ miles left and it was mostly down. I looked at my watch to see how I was doing with the 2:45 goal and crap, it looked like the race was gonna be long. That wasn't part of my plan! Oh well... Maybe I'll be 2:45 or faster at 13.1, I'd try to check it out. I fell into a train of people where I was in 2nd place. Earlier in the race I let people pass me on the downhills by stepping to the side, but I decided at this point anyone who passed me had to do it on their own -- I was hanging on to this one. One or two people did pass me, but mostly there was just the train behind me and I was sticking close to the one woman in front. I saw Tammy Faye in the train -- shit. We were running out of time and I really wanted to beat her!! Am I shallow or what?! At the bottom of the single-track we had a .5-mile climb, so I hoped I could hold off Tammy Faye and maybe power on past a few peeps.

Made it to the bottom and started chugging up. My hill partner ended up in front of me -- she had more in the tank than I did but I tried to hold on. Even though the race was going to end up close to 14 miles, I saw I was also close to my 2:45, cool!! Get 'er done! I passed a couple of people -- I was breathing really loud and one guy commented about how I was really trying to gut it out. "Hell yeah, that's why I'm here!" I told him (as I passed him). Finally saw the finish and made it in. AT LAST. And I beat Tammy Faye!! Looked at the Garmin: 2:46, damn it! But 13.99 miles. I'll take it. I did it!

What would you do differently?:

Not a whole bunch. Maybe not walk some of the hills. Maybe walk a bit more? Learn how to run better going downhill?
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Porter who had opted out of the 50K. Talked with him a bit. Got a piece of gourmet pizza and a beverage. Had several shortbread cookies with Nutella (HEAVEN!!!). Had some hot cider. Got chilled and hobbled back to the car, dreaming of seat warmers and sitting down. I was hurtin'!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My wussy and conservative approach to running downhill!

Event comments:

Awesome race, well-run and super friendly. The trails were gorgeous and in amazing condition. Glad the weather held for the day. Loved it!!!

Last updated: 2011-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:46:31 | 13.99 miles | 11m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/35
Overall: 82/170
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly single-track trails. HILLY. Rocks, roots, and mud.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-20 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Evergreen Trail Run - Half Marathon

2011-11-20 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3908865

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Evergreen Trail Run - Half Marathon

awesome job you slacker!  sorry the other girls bailed on you.

edit.... HOT TUB!!!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-11-20 10:27 AM
2011-11-20 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
LOVED reading your RR, Kyla! Fantastic job out there! Congrats!!!
2011-11-20 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Ha! Great report; congrats on beating Tammy Faye!  It's funny, the things that motivate us sometimes.
2011-11-20 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Great race Kyla.  I'm not a make up girl either.  Way to stick it to Tammy Faye Wink
2011-11-20 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Great job Kyla. That chica you speak of is the rep for Running Skirts I believe. Was she wearing a skirt with compression socks? Fake tata's? If so that is her. Actually pretty nice!I am very bummed I couldn't be there. I will go out and do on my own soon.

2011-11-20 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Great job kicking Tammy Faye's azz!!

Great run on what sounds like a tough course!

2011-11-20 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3909020

User image

Holy moly, that sounds like a tough course! You're awesome for taking on such a challenging race and running up all those hills! Congratulations on making all 3 of your goals!
2011-11-21 7:19 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
I love it!!! Such a great RR, you really are amazing. No rolled ankles AND you ran the ups (and beat your cover girl)....nice! 50k here you come......
2011-11-21 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
What an entertaining RR!  Racing a clown up and down mountains in the forest...  HA!  Great job on hitting your goals!
2011-11-21 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Nicely done.  Way to gut it out!

2011-11-21 9:38 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Awesome job!  Always fun to try something new and kick it in the butt!  Here's to downhilll running next year!
2011-11-21 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3909928

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
LOL, great race report.  Sounds like a tough a$$ course, great job!
2011-11-21 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Way to go on a killer course! and kick Tammy's tush!

2011-11-21 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
I loved it - Tammy Faye LOL!!!  Glad you were able to beat her.  I can relate a bit about handling those hills on a trail run but my issue is walking up the hills.  Everyone passes me (walking too) like I'm standing still.  WTF!!!! I don't get it.  Anyway great race - it sounded super hard!!!! 
2011-11-22 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Tough gal! Way to go!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Trail Run - Half Marathon Rss Feed