Revolution 3
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 38m 7s
Overall Rank = 312/1063
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 6/36
Pre-race routine:

Rode up with a buddy the day before, checked in stuff and hung about. Met some friends and talked about the miserable day they had in the Oly. Went to bed about 9pm, got up a 3, got my stuff ready, made 2 pb&j's and headed up. Transition was easy to set up, met Elaine and other friends, talked a bit, walked with Kelly and Shaun, met Jeff.

As i am standing by my bike a girl walks up, she might be 5" tall and maybe 100lbs, she goes...i have a really strange question...ummmm ok, i am the king of nutso questions, hit me.

I am a woman pro, and my Rudy Project helmet is missing a sticker and they will not let me race??? Can i have a sticker from your Rudy Project helmet so mine can pass tech??
Ummmmm wow, really??

Well, how about i do one better, I have a spare TT helmet in my car, it is black, but you are more than welcome to use it for the race. Her face lights up like a Christmas tree, that would be AWESOME!! She asks how far my car is, i said, right there (about 100 meters from Transition) she is like AWESOME!!! So we walk over, and i ask her name (i have no idea who any of the women pro's are or men pro's for that matter except Matty Reed, Richie C and Rinnie) and she says Angela Naeth, i am bib# 2. Cool, get to car and here ya go, i will see ya a couple hours after you finish. She was soooo nice and truly grateful, and my helmet took 3rd Womans pro. I still have her hemlet sticker on my helmet, it will probably never come off, lol.
Event warmup:

Took a short 3-400 meter swim into the lake to the first buoy. The water was really really nice. Felt great in warm up.
Swim
  • 36m 10s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

The most brutal swim start ever, i was into a lot of contact..People this is a mile .2, really??? Finally got free and found feet#1, i would get next and could not get by him, so i dropped back and drafted till the first red buoy, i lost him in the sun and found feet#2, same thing, followed him till red#2 and lost him at the turn, only to find feet#1 again. My best HIM ever, felt good the entire way. Drafted really well, and did not drift left till the last 6-700 meters.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, my best HIM swim ever.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

great transition, other than the amount of stuff my neighbor had all over the place, it would only get worse. had some trouble geting my shoes on, but that was a byproduct of being in cramped quarters.

practice a few times before first race of the season
Bike
  • 2h 44m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, so i am running out of T1 and do a sweet flying mount, friends and the people are screaming and cheering, go to pass a girl right at the turnout and hit some bumps and the between bars bottle goes flying off...great, fortunaltey i had also put my run nutrition in my back pockets, so i was not too worried, just annoyed. First 10 were uneventful, rode within my self, spun up hills, had good descents, next 10 were the same, really fast down past the Dam, managed the hills, putting in a moderate but not insane effort. 40k at 1:07, still have not been passed. Start of the big climb and i have not passed anyone in 10 miles, was wondering if there were even any AG in front?? Finally the fasty fast young little guys start to go by, just at halfway 2:21. Nothing special till the last few descents. The last big down hill had me north of 55mph, and the bike started to do the death wobble, got out of aero and tried to slow down, it would not stop shaking violently, get to bottom past the police officer and got below 15mph and it finally settled, that was the most scared on the bike i had ever been. Took the rest of the course easy and started to make sure i felt good for the run. Gorgeous course, the hardest 56 miles i had ever done to this date at that pace. i felt comfortable and strong the whole bike. Slight cramp at mile 48 or so, but i spun it out and continued on. Came up hill past the people they were cheering and yelling it was awesome!! had a good finish to a flying dismount and carried bike into T2, there were maybe 20 bikes total in the whole area, it was really cool to be in an almost completely empty transition.

lose weight
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Stuff littered everywhere, the guy next to me had gym bags and crap everywhere, it was freaking stupid how much stuff was there. I could not get to my stuff without tripping over his, if i was a nasty bastard i woulda yard saled his stuff all over the place.

get a cleaner rack mate
Run
  • 2h 13m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I got out of t2, did not know where run out was....duh!!!! Idiot, pay attention before hand instead of BS'ing with everyone. Started out good, down hill running easy, just before the turn i walked a bit, i was not feeling right, only 5-6 seconds here and there, but walking already. I do not want to make this long, basically it was a walk run struggle the whole day, i had sections i was running great, then mind over matter and i would start walking for a bit, waked 80% of the major climb, got through that and ran for a couple miles well, then walked again. This continued for the rest of the run. Go past the people at the last turn and felt great, was on track for a 2h HM, got to the aid station and it all went to hell, cramps, quads and hammies etc. ran/walked till the last turn around, Clyde # 4 passes me about 11.8 and i shut it off. Wallked all the way to the turn to home and the people. i then ran to the finish. The people stand out there all day to watch you finish, you run past them regardless how much running at that moment sucks balls, they deserve better and every last ounce of your effort.

run a lot more, lose more weight
Post race
Warm down:

i was not really feeling well, my stomach was pretty upset, which was new, i had never had GI issues before. Walked around met a lot of friends and tried to just calm down. Finally felt better an hour or so later and got some food and a few beers hung out with friends and reminisced about the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weight, run training, being lazy when i should not have

Event comments:

This race does not set up well for me and my size, i got my ass handed to me by it and others of my size in the race. Take it as a learning experience and continue on and get ready for a flat fast Patriot in 2 weeks. This was a setup race for that race, i raced hard and did the best i could with the ability i have, it was not good enough. I am ok with that, sometimes you need a kick in the balls and reality check to get better and make better choices.

Last updated: 2011-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:10 | 1931 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/36
Overall: 259/1063
Performance: Good
Suit: Neosport Sleeveless
Course: Big Ole rectangle, after speaking with the RD and friends and a few pro's the consensus was the course was long.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:16 | 56 miles | 20.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/1063
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 4300 feet of go fuck yourself if you cannot climb. At race pace this is the toughest 56 mile ride i had ever done...EVER maybe one of the hardest rides period.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:55 | 13.1 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/1063
Performance: Below average
Course: hills hills and more hills, 2 turn arounds and a total tease as you come by the park and make a left away from it.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-05 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

2012-06-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4245721

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
Rudy - congrats on finishing a tough race! Lots of highs and lows ... remember even though the last part sucked you had a great swim and a great ride! Looks like a pretty darn solid finish to me!
2012-06-05 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

About time we see your report---Great race Rudy!

How cool is it to be able to lend your helmet to a pro???

You are a beast on the bike, steady in the water and a better runner than your time reveals. Lighter helps us all, and I am working on it too...Damn toastitos!!

congratulations to you-wish we could have hooked up for a beer or two after but I was dazed and confused after this race

another time, perhaps...

2012-06-05 11:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-06-05 1:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

Nice riding Rudy! You've got a heckuva motor in there.

Did you see that Naeth put up the fastest women's bike split?

2012-06-05 3:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Thats some serious riding! Nice race Rudy. Can i borrow your helmet sometime? No wait, can I borrow your legs?

2012-06-06 3:04 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Nice job Rudy and great report!  As if the course was not hard enough adding a 10 mile bike TT the day before adds to the affect.  Congrats on the swim PR and battling on the run!
2012-06-06 4:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-06-06 5:26 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Love the description of the bike course!!  Will have to remember that one.

Fantastic swim & bike splits, after killing those that run must have been another kick in the pants.  Giving the spectators what they deserve.....Good sportsmanship.

2012-06-06 9:25 PM

Master
Northern IL

From Naeth's blog:

"Even before the race, the day didn't start smoothly; my helmet was missing a CSPS sticker and I was stuck. The race director, Charlie, was awesome enough to find me another helmet but it was not Rudy Project, and Rudy  it has to be! I thought perhaps a fellow competitor would have one and, low and behold, a guy named Rudy wearing all pink and a pink Rudy aero helmet (I swear I'm not making this up) had a spare black one in his car! Rudy saved the day."
2012-06-07 4:37 AM

Champion
Knoxville area

Great job Rudy! Like a Beast!

Loved the race report...4300 of GFY is nothing for you

2012-06-07 9:54 AM

Master
San Antone, Texas

Rudy, awesome race and what a great read!  You had the ultimate experience there with Naeth, and your bike split is amazing, even with the 4300 feet of GFY!

Kickarse dude!  I hope to have a race like that sometime soon.  Kudos bud!

2012-06-07 1:41 PM

Great job Rudy, and awesome story about lending your helmet.
2012-06-16 6:57 PM

Master
Guilford, CT
Rudy!  Great to meet you in person finally!  Kill it at Patriot!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Rss Feed