United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 29m 8s
Overall Rank = 1351/2431
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 68/133
Pre-race routine:

>>WARNING<< this is LONG! but when I look back on this in the future - I don't want to forget anything!! :)

Josh and I arrived in Madison on Friday afternoon. Registered, went for a 15 min swim then drove to Beloit to visit with Josh's grandparents in the nursing home and had dinner with Josh's parents in Janesville. Drove back to Madison and went to the race meeting. Saw Anke, Misty and Nick there. Then went back to the hotel and rested.

Saturday I checked stuff in around noon then went back to the hotel for a nap. Had dinner @ 530pm with Josh, Mom, Dad, Sarah, Bridget, Scott, the kids, Carl and Kathy at Angelos - yum and FUN! Back to our hotel after and the crew got a game plan together for race watching. Had about 3 glasses of wine over the course of the night (at dinner and after - normal the day before a race), felt full and sleepy and was in bed by 11 at the latest. Awoke at 4 after a super night sleep. Ate a bagle and a banana and drank a gatorade and had a couple cups of coffee. Drove to Menona terrace - Josh found a money parking spot about 3 block from the start. I forgot to put my helmet sticker on (oops) so had to go back into the T1 room and do that, then pooed then walked down the helix with Josh (DH) and Sarah (SIL). Saw Misty at the top though and had a nice hug - how awesome and random to see her up there!! On the way down, picked up Nick who was flying solo. At the bottom of the helix, put on the wetsuit and stood around for a few minutes. At about 630am - got in line for the water. it was packed! Last time i was kinda late into the water and super stressed - didn't want that to happen again. I was walking in line when the gal sang the national anthem - it was good, but I remember thinking 'why is this song taking so long?' Was in the water with about 6 min to spare. Got a spot about 5 meters to the right of the ski jump and 10 meters back. Seemed pretty open at the time, i guess. It was awesome to be in the water looking up at the fans on the terrace and to hear mike riley say "today, you're going to be an ironman!"

Event warmup:

Tredding water for 5 min - WAY better to be in the water at the start than still in line!
Swim
  • 1h 19m 8s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy contact batman. The most I've ever had in an IM swim. I'd find clear water and enjoy it for 5-10 strokes before someone came zoomin in from some angle - I felt like I did a really good job sighting (sighted the crane one way and a tall clump of trees the other way) and I had some very swervy people around me. I got totally clobbered in the face by some guy - i happened to take a breath exactly as his arm came down on my nose - ouch! had to stop to fix the goggles. Had LOTS of arms land on my back...it would hapen over and over again, before I'D finally adjust my cocurse to get out of their way. Had lots of hands grab my feet - i stopped kicking each time and they went away pretty fast. I had to adjust my route a bunch as people kept vearing into my path - but oh well. The men were pretty persistent - I was usually the one who moved. The ladies moved when they bumped into me - so polite :) Pretty busy till the first bouy, very busy on the short side, and cleared a bit on the back stretch. then busy again on the angle back to the swim finish. I tried to draft but I'd either catch the feet and have to go around, or have to move because someone swerved into me - so bad job drafting overall. I had to STOP and pee 3 times (I CANNOT pee while swimming - go figure. I tried ALL summer, just can't do it!) The WHOLE swim wass Super easy for me. I never breathed too hard, never felt the burn in my arms or shoulders - super low effort which, was my goal. Mentally, I felt like the one loop was shorter than the double loop (only once down and once back then done vs two loops) and I liked that. My feet felt kinda cold at the very end, but nothing too bad. Also, on the angle back, I could see the top of the weeds and I felt like I was flying past them - pretty cool. I was happy with my time when I got out, but probably could have taken 5 min out if I hadn't stopped to pee or adjust my route so many times. I never felt panicy or stressed or overworked so over all, very happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

start in a different place. but you just never know...
Transition 1
  • 11m 56s
Comments:

was stripped by a couple tiny girls (but they did a good job) and jogged up the helix (it was cold on my tootsies!) - saw Castro just outside the door to the terrace. :) grabbed my bag and ran into transition room. had to stand around for a few seconds before i was able to get a helper - i didn't want to just sit and not have someone come to me as i needed help getting down my dry sports bras and stuff becuase i was wet. I did a complete change because it was pretty chilly in the AM so I added a couple extra minutes for sure onto my time. Was told to run with shoes in hand out to bike (because it was slippery) and put them on at the bike so i did. Also, rolled up my tube-sock arm warmers while on the way to my bike spot. They didn't have my bike out and ready so I put on my shoes and told a helper which bike was mine and waited a second or two for them to get it off the rack. ran with bike to the mount line and was off down the helix. - overall pretty smooth, calm and consistent moving and decision making while changing.

Not do a full change. But I was happy that I was totally dry as it was slightly chilly - I prob would have been cool had I been wet.
Bike
  • 6h 42m 32s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

OKEY dokey here we go! My plan/goal was to go STUPID EASY on the stick and stay easy throught the whole day - easy up the hills, peddle down them (not coast because I shouldn't need recovery if i'm going easy up them.)Also to be right on with nutrition and feel rested when done with the bike- ready to run.

So right out of the helix I came up on my mom and dad on the side of the road crouded over a biker lying in the grass on the side of the road - what was that?! (turns out he was cut off, had to veer into the grass and crashed. ended up totalling his bike, had dislocated shoulder and broken hand from what they could tell as he was lying there - M&D said he was picked up by medical but they were first on scene to help. bummer for that guy!! hope he's ok!) Anyway - took it SUPER easy on the stick. like, STUPID easy. didn't pass on any hills, drank and settled in. Felt GREAT coming into verona. After that I picked it up a little bit still staying in Z1 - low Z2. eating and drinking right on schedule (1/3 waffle every 15 min, then a gu at the top of the hour). The perform leaked super bad (prob because the foil top ws stuck in the screw top and it didn't seal) and i was a mess! but still doing good.

The first loop was great - the hills betweeh Cross Plains and Verona went super well and I never got above 160 bpm. And i was passing people while peddling downhill :) I was on top of shifting so as to use my big ring efficiently and was feeling great. I saw my orange-shirted family a TON out there! they had great signs, blow up monkeys and went crazy every time i passed. I was able to see them up ahead so I'd sit up and wave and then they'd go wild - it was SO AWESOME!!! 50 meters before I was to start the 2nd loop, i was lapped by the mens leader as he turned back to madison - kinda cool to see that - last time i was lapped in cross plains!

At special needs I exchanged my nutrition, put on a bit more chamois buttr and took off my tube sock armwarmers. I was planning on throwing them, but i only ever thought about it after i passed through the feed zone and there were no trash cans - didn't want to litter so just folded them down around my writs till SN.

Second loop was great too although for some reason, my front shifting got screwed up and on one hill, it wouldn't shift to the small ring and i had to climb in the big ring - no biggie, but i felt the legs burn on that one. After that I was leary of getting into my big ring and didn't do it as much unless I KNEW a large downhill was coming and I really needed it. (maybe it was sticky form all the perform?!) Second time on the big hills was good again a bit harder, but still able to spin easy and stay in low Z3 max And still lots of people which was really uplifting. Still was good with the nutrition. Oh, and passed Bob on the hills on Garfoot - good to see a buddy out there! Again, saw the family TONS out there - my fav part of the whole bike course - my crazy, screaming, jumping family!!

I had to go pottie at mile 20 and told myself that I'd stop at the next port-a-pottie - well EVERY porta pottie i saw after that has a line and I had it in my mind that i didn't want to stop so i didn't... I had to pee for so long! it was uncomfy (especially on bumpy parts of the road) but not unbearable. I wasn't drining a TON because it was cool so i was able to make it back to T2 without peeing!

Once back on the stick I started to get uncomfy in the saddle and noticed a headache. My legs still felt pretty good though. Just cruzed into madison, nothing too hard. Had a gu about 10 min out. Saw dad riding his bike on the path by the lake - that was fun :) Up the helix, which felt easy off the bike and felt sturdy on my legs - SUCCESS! I was able to jog into transition :)

I LOVE the spectators on that bike course!! I saw 'naked ladies' boys in speedos, Chewbaca, a crazy clown in the random bushes, great signage and awesome, supportive fans. How cool?! It was a blast out there and it helped that i felt good. Really really great day.

I didn't expect to be any faster than my previous IM bike times (7:10ish) but came in at 6:42 feeling better than i ever have. So success that my legs felt fresh for the run and bonus that i was faster - yay!!

I think I could have pushed it a LITTLE bit harder and still felt good for the run (really, I didn't push at all...), but I totally didn't want to burn out so I'm really happy with how this went. I think overall, I could get another 15 min or so off my IMWI bike time in the future. I just have to find the line and get as close to it without going over into the burnout zone. we'll see next time :)
Transition 2
  • 07m 48s
Comments:

I felt great coming off the bike! was able to jog into the bag room, grab my bag and jog into the changing room. Got a helper right away. Bike shorts off, tri shorts on, running shoes on. Braid out, ponytail in, tied ribbon in hair, race belt on and out the door, put on visor as i ran out. had to pee SOOOOOO bad and stopped in the porta potty for a min or two then was off. jogged to the water people, walked and had a cup then jogged out ot T2.

I think the was within 5 seconds of my last IMWI T2. I took an extra minute taking out my braid and putting my hair into a ponytail AND tying a ribbon in it. (but it was so cute!) but I'm ok with this time.
Run
  • 5h 07m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

ok - here's where the adventure starts!

My plan was to run the first 13.1 (walking water stops and observatory hill) then run as much as possible after that. drink water and perform at stops. eat a gu at mile 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 and maybe 23-24ish, start drinking broth when available. OK.

I turned onto the finish road right as the male winner was finishing - kinda cool to hear that. Followed my plan to run to the water stations, walk through them while drinking.

First loop: My first few miles were FAST (for me): including the walking through the stops, they were uner 10 min and my HR was low. I felt great but remembered that I needed to make the running last and purposely slowed down. most of the fam rotated through both parts of State Street while Mom and Dad had their bikes and kinda biked all over so I saw family a bunch over the course of the run - AWESOME!

I felt SUPER great up till about mile 12 - then started to feel nauseous. Was able to keep running though and made the goal of running the first 13.1. (yay!) But at that point I didn't feel good - it's weird - i felt strong leg and effort wise, but SO nauseous so it was hard to run.

Loop two: After the turnaround i had to stop consuming so much at the water stops. I hadn't been drinking much before, but every little sip made me feel so yucky. I did have a SIP of water and a SIP of perform though at every stop from about 13.5 - 19 miles. (continued with the gu every 4 miles up till mile 20) Felt SO gross and slowed down ALOT in those miles (but was able to keep running) At mile 16ish (the water stop under the bridge) i had a broth - didn't sit right AT ALL gave me a side ache - so now i had an ache AND was nauseous - bummer. BUT somehow, i was able to keep running and the side ache eventually went away leaving just the nausea. around mile 19 i started to feel super gross and was considering slamming a bunch of water just so i could puke. I was walking about 50 yards past some of the water stops and a few times had to really try hard not to puke. deep breathing, swallowing, whatever, until it finally got a bit better - better enough to run. I was kinda in a bad place mentally - i felt SO bad, but felt SO good - like, if i didn't feel so nauseous, I could have totally been faster. my HR was LOW the WHOLE run... but i couldn't do anything to get rid of the nausea. At mile 22ish (the water stop under the bridge again) i had my last hydration for a while. Just couldn't put any more in. But, still, i was able to muster up strength from somewhere to RUN through that crappy feeling! So, as crappy as i felt, i was still stoked that I was running.

It helped to see mom and dad out there so much and I knew that because they were moving on their bikes, they could pop up and I could see them at any time. Every time they saw me they told me how proud they were of me and how awesome i was doing and I wanted to run for them!! I couldn't really chit chat with them because I felt so bad and they told me not to talk. a few time they just rode there on the opposite side of the road from me for 50 yards or so, just watching, not saying anything. I knew they were there though and it helped me SO MUCH to keep running. I KNOW i drew strength from their presence out there and it meant so much to me to know they were so proud of me. (tears as i write this!!) So - I continued to run to each water station. I saw my mom and dad one last time before the bridge under the walking path and they said they'd see me at the finish and it gave me some energy. At the kohl center i had a SIP of water then resolved to run to the end. Saw Josh about a mile from the finish and he told me I was making HIM proud (love!) and that i was doing well and almost dome. I picked up the pace a bit, ran through the last water and heard the crowd at the finish.

About 3 blocks from the finish i heard someone ask "what time is it" and a girl answered him "8:26, that means we're at 13:26" and i looked at her in total disbelief as said "shut the f**k up! ...oh gosh! sorry for the F-bomb I just had no idea we were at that time!" I think she kinda laughed. (I felt so bad for swearing! ha!) I was TOTALLY suprised at the time! I had my time on the bike, reset it for the run and never really did the math. I could finish in under 13:30! I NEVER even considered that as a goal for the day and I was STOKED to say the least!

So away went the nausea and I ran on air down the finishers shoot (there's magic at that finish line!), heard my family cheering at the corner by SN and totally ignored them (not thinking clearly - sorry family!) and slapped hands with the crowd and pumped my fists in the air and heard Mike call my name "Tracy Olson, Eau Claire!.... You're an Ironman!" (NEVER gets old) and ended up at 13:29. SHUT THE F**K UP!!! yay!

My biggest win for the day was the fact that other than the water stops and O hill, i RAN THE WHOLE MARATHON!! I am so proud of that! I'm proud of the crazy deep digging i did to run even though i felt SO GROSS! I think it helped that I never thought of the run as a marathon, but instead as a 13.1 mile run, then a bunch of 1 mile runs. I never thought of how far i had to go other than the next water stop. 'just run to the next waterstop' i told my self over and over again. I think it could have been faster, but I'm proud of my performance.

**AND I PRd by 1hr 45min!!** Previous best IMWI was 15:15 (2009), last time (2010) was 16:10 (that was a bad, bad, day) Feels SO good to be able to improve so much and HAVE FUN!!

my stand alone marathon time is 4:25 - this marathon was 5:07 so pretty good for me - I'm sure i could get 20 min off my IM marathon time if I wouldn't have been nauseous, but I don't know how to fix once it happens...
Post race
Warm down:

Got caught, took a picture and made my way out of the finishers area to my family. We sat by a bench and just chatted and it was awesome! I felt GREAT! I had a chocolate milk and a couple bites of pizza (still kinda nauseous) and we just hung out for a half hour or so. It was only 8:30 - pretty early and everyone was just so happy!! Josh got my bike and I started to get cold so we all went on our ways back to our separate hotels and the night was done. Stopped at taco bell for a crunch wrap supreme (i NEVER eat those but for some reason craved it) and ate about half. showered and went to bed. Great, great GREAT day!!

The journey this year was the best yet, and the race was SUCCESSFUL and i was HAPPY when done. I WILL be back for a fourth time at IMWI, maybe 2014. :) I LOVE this race and this day and my family!!

Also - BEST VOLUNTEERS IN THE BUSINESS!! Seriously - so helpful, supportive and just AMAZING! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Event comments:

I'm just so happy about this year's journey and race. I wasn't going to sign up for 2013, but at noon last year when online registration went on I had a mini breakdown and knew my decision not to do it was not the right one. I called josh and told him i was going to register and he said "ok babe" and so i did and felt instantly better. SO glad I did - BEST YEAR EVER!!!

Last updated: 2012-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:08 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 59/133
Overall: 1158/2431
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Changed this year to 1 loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:42:32 | 112 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/133
Overall: 1364/2431
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 16 mile stick, 2 x 40 mile loops with hills, then the 16 mile stick back to madison
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:07:45 | 26.2 miles | 11m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/133
Overall: 1394/2431
Performance: Good
ave HR 133 max HR 155
Course: 2 loops pretty flat with one large hill and just a few very small ones.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-15 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2012-09-15 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4412841

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
You had a fantastic race Tracy!  It was great seeing you out on the run course!  When are we doing our next one?
2012-09-15 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4412858

User image

Expert
Western WI

WI_tri_guy - 2012-09-15 5:47 PM You had a fantastic race Tracy!  It was great seeing you out on the run course!  When are we doing our next one?

read what i wrote on your RR!

2012-09-15 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Wow, that is awesome. Your family is soooo supportive and the way it helped you made me well up. Great job and congratulations!
2012-09-15 6:27 PM

User image

Seattle
Shut the f*ck up!!!! great race Tracy!!!!! In so proud of you!
2012-09-15 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
That's crazy. Your run really proved what you are made of. Awesome job, and a PR by 1:45. Holy Moly! Huge congratulations.

2012-09-15 11:49 PM

User image

Master
Wow.  First off, I know what you mean about getting strength from your family.  Such a boost when you are struggling and then there they are.  Second, you got mental strength, woman!  Great job running the entire marathon.  Congrats all around!
2012-09-16 1:44 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I'm a fan of gory-detailed race reports CONGRATULATIONS, IRONTRACY AGAIN!!!

Pummelled your way through the swim smashfest pretty damn fast, perfect bike execution (not too easy! The perfect run after shows it!), and running the whole mary ... killing a PR ... that's like IRONMAX!!!

2012-09-16 9:07 AM

User image

Expert

seriously, don't worry about the f-bomb.  It made me smile that you were so happy with the time. 

Great job on the PB!  we must have been withing 10 minutes of each other all day long.

2012-09-16 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Simply awesome!  I want to do a race where I get to say "shut the f*ck up" upon hearing my finishing time.  That's my new goal
2012-09-16 3:24 PM

VERY awesome post.  Thank you!

2012-09-16 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Way to go Tracy!  Great RR, how great it must have been to have your family there.  Quite an awesome performance all the way around.
2012-09-17 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

Sounds like you and I started the swim in very similar spots and suffered similar amounts of abuse.

Congrats on your BIG PR!  Running the whole marathon is def impressive.

2012-09-17 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Super race and good job sticking to the nice disciplined bike plan.  Way to fight off the issues on the run and you are right about there being some type of magic at that finish line.  Big congrats on shattering your personal best....GREAT Job Ironman.
2012-09-17 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Outsanding race. Congrats on blowing away the PR!
2012-09-17 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4413441

User image

Coastal Carolina

amd723 - 2012-09-16 1:21 PM Simply awesome!  I want to do a race where I get to say "shut the f*ck up" upon hearing my finishing time.  That's my new goal

I'm with Ann Marie that's a goal

Great job on a PR way to smash it.

2012-09-17 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4414362

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Great race!  Terrific race report. Way to go!  Cool
2012-09-17 10:49 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations on the great race and the new PR!!  Add me to the list of people who one day gets to say "Shut the F*** up!" about my race time. 
2012-09-17 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow! Awesome race!!! How incredible to have your family there cheering for you.  I know seeing my family's faces gives me a boost too. Way to HTFU and push through the nausea on the run.  Next time my body tells me to stop on a run I'm going to remember what you did at IMWI.

I've read the other RR from IMWI and the consensus is that the swim was a slug-fest.  I don't understand the holding the feet thing.  It's one thing to brush someones feet but to hold them?! Seriously people!

Nice job on the PR too! You rocked it! And how awesome to have Mike Riley remind you that YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!! (again)

2012-09-17 12:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Soooo much good in this report!!       A tremendous PR, a fabulous run, a smart bike, your wonderful, loving, supporting family and the f-bomb (too funny!)!  Way to dig deep, keep pushing, and find it was all worth while.  Super job!!
2012-09-17 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Thanks for the love, friends! If anyone is ever considering this race, ids ay GO FOR IT! It's just awesome!

2012-09-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4415811

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race and congrats - way to DESTROY your PR!  Nice RR too - I enjoyed reading it, thanks.
2012-09-19 12:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Great RR!  Way to kick butt and demolish your PR!

I saw my BEST SUPPORT CREW EVER (wife and son) multiple times during the race, they also had bikes.  It was so great to see them.  I knew where they were for the bike (4x) but they just kind of popped up on the run.  It really does make a difference. 

You are an Ironman!

Edited by mjewen 2012-09-19 12:36 AM
2012-09-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4417886

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-19 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4414761

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race and an awesome PR!  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 1