General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why s/b/r, not s, b or r? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-03-25 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Why s/b/r, not s, b or r?

This has been asked in other ways, but I'm curious about why people choose triathlon rather than any, or even several, of the individual sports.

I realize that many (myself included) choose tri in addition to the others, so I'll stipulate that.  However, putting the three together adds a level of complexity (logistics, training, etc.) not found even when training in all three but peaking for one type of race or another.  I ask this mostly about the races, as training combines the three disciplines but the "sport" of triathlon truly comes together at the event (rather than "just" some very fun cross-training).

So, why did YOU gravitate to the s/b/r tri-sport "over" (or in addition to) the individual s, b or r?

<answers self>

For me, I like the "doing" of all three individually, but I'm not one who likes pool-type races.  Nor am I one who only wants to "ride," even for long distances - I like the clock and racing - and I'm not as interested in crits (I like my collar-bones), which seem to be the more common US road events (although I know this is evolving, with Fondos and the like). 

If I were to pick only one of the sports in which to compete, it would be running (although I'm not particularly fast), as there are lots of events and distances.  But, I really like OWS and riding. 

Ergo, lump 'em together as parts of one sport, and I get to "do" all of them in training and also as races - with beer after!  Plus, I get to partake of a bunch of single sport events (mostly running with some nice rides) in training.

All in, for me it's the easiest way to satisfy the desire to race AND the desire to swim, bike and run.

And, in an effort to be completely honest, it just seems that much more bada$$ than a local 5k run, but without going over the top.  Wink  (this is in jest - there are many single-sport bada$$ events, so smile at this, don't flame!)

You?

Matt

2013-03-25 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4673631

User image

NC
Subject: RE: Why s/b/r, not s, b or r?

Easier to conceal my slowness.

2013-03-25 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4673636

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Goosedog - 2013-03-25 2:27 PM

Easier to conceal my slowness.

Ha!  I recently told someone that I excel at physical mediocrity, so I really like tris...

Sadly, it's more true than funny for me. 

2013-03-25 1:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-25 1:42 PM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've always enjoyed all three of the sports individually going back to my youth.  I'm now at an age where I need more recovery time between workouts and have become more susceptable to overuse injuries.  Therefore the inherent "cross-training" aspect of triathlon is a good fit and accomodates my limitations very well.

Mark

2013-03-25 1:45 PM

Pro
Bellingham, WA
For me it has been a progression from being a runner.  With injuries over the years from running, I could cross train with swim and bike.  I like to swim and bike but love to run and s/b/r keeps me in the game.  Funny thing is now I'm top quarter in my age group swimming and biking with running being my weakness.  I still do a lot of running events and have been improving dramatically this year.  I dream of one day putting it all together.  It's tough to get good at three things at the same time but is a great challenge.

2013-03-25 1:53 PM

Master
Livonia, MI

I started running and enjoyed training and competing.  After a few years I started thinking that given my background with competitive swimming as a youth that I might be decent at competing as an adult.

I just put up with the biking because there just isn't enough aquathon opportunity out there Wink

Edited by noelle1230 2013-03-25 1:57 PM
2013-03-25 1:56 PM

Calgary, AB

It limits the monotony.   If I get sick of running, I can spend more time in the pool.  If I get disenchanted with swimming, I can focus more on the bike.

Extra bonus nerdy reason -- it's kind of an interesting optimization problem.  Lots of different options and trade-offs.    My time is limited -- how do I divide it for the greatest impact?   (I'm also an ardent fan of playing Civilization for much the same reason)

2013-03-25 1:59 PM

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Had you told me even two years ago that I'd be excited about triathlon, I'd have shook my head and convinced you that I was really only a runner.  Due to injury, I bought a bike and someone in my ride group convinced me to give Masters Swim a shot. From there, I was hooked with the cross-training, and the racing is just a progression from there.

I probably always knew, in my head, that cross training was good for me. I just never wanted to give up the run training as I was chasing down the PRs for running at various distances. It took getting injured for me to give it a shot. I really like training for all three disciplines now. My competitive nature requires the measure that races provide. 
2013-03-25 2:18 PM

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

For me, honestly (and some people may not like this answer), it was Ironman.  I wanted to do one, badly.  VERY badly.  And now (getting ready to train for my 5th) I'm addicted....LOL.

I really consider myself a runner.  I do WAY more of that than anything else (unless training for an IM).  I like to swim, too ~ have a swimming background.  But, the ONLY reason I bike is because it happens to fall between the two .

I know (it has been argued on here countless times) that many people believe that Tri is more than just Ironman.  And that's ok, we all come to the sport for different reasons.  For ME, it was the call of the distance......one that I will forever respect.

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-03-25 2:28 PM
2013-03-25 2:20 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I started in triathlon because it seemed fun and a lot of my friends were doing it. I discovered that I don't really like running, but I really really like cycling, so for the past 6 years I haven't raced any triathlons, but I've done a lot of bike races. 

2013-03-25 2:24 PM

Pro
Cross training. I was a runner growing up.  Doing a triathlon race is not the biggest deal for me, it's the training.  I am in for IM Tahoe this year, and I doubt I'll race at all before then.  I've done enough races at all distances, so I don't feel the need to do many anymore....the IM is the last distance I ahven't covered...so now it's time.  I have two kids who race, so I'd rather watch them than be in the race.
2013-03-25 2:27 PM

For the past 2 years, I have mulled over why I don't give up swimming and running to just focus on bike racing.  I still haven't come up with a clear answer...but I suppose the fact that I keep signing up for a couple of tris a year tells me that I must enjoy it...at least a little.

Tris still only make up about 20% of my race calandar though.

2013-03-25 2:28 PM

This is my first post here, and I'm not a triathlete...yet.

I started cycling - mountain biking, specifically - a few years ago. Lost a bunch of weight doing it. I got to where if I was traveling and couldn't ride, I missed the workout. Well, running shoes are easier to pack than a bike. The final part of the equation came last summer after I wrecked my shoulder on the mountain bike. First, the doctor said "swim." So I started to swim, a modified breaststroke since that was all I could do with my shoulder. Then I started riding a borrowed (now purchased) road bike because the bumps riding MTB hurt my shoulder. Now that I'm doing all three, the thought crept into my brain... "Why not try a triathlon?"

It has become a kind of bucket list thing. At first, as I got more fit, I began to think about a half marathon. But I'm really not that fond of running. The only kind of pure bike racing I'm going to do is MTB. And my swimming... well, I am just now, three months after shoulder surgery, able to swim freestyle. My technique needs a LOT of work.

So, yeah, it's not a matter of "why?", it's a matter of "why not." I'm going to give it a go. I will finish. I may be slow and may never do it again, or I may love it. At 44, having been fat and out of shape most of my life, I'm never going to be great at this. But, because of what I just said in that last sentence, just finishing will be a an accomplishment.

2013-03-25 2:30 PM

Regular
Euless, Texas
I wanted something 'more'.  I got into running again about 5 years ago, after taking a little hiatus after high school track & cross country.  I have loved running for a long time and wanted to take it to the next level.  And for me, that meant obstacle runs.  I was getting close to being top 10 overall out of several thousand entrants and wanted to take it up another notch (as emeril would say).  So I heard a friend mention something about triathlon.  I really didn't know much about it at all.  So in January 2011 I started doing a ton of research on them and started swimming.  I had already been bike riding on the typical Saturday morning charity rallies for several years as well, so I had a good base to build on.  I have only done sprints, and don't really want to do anything longer because I am good at this distance and it doesn't take too much time training that I'm away from my family.  I will try to do an Oly in July this year.  As far as 'taking it up another notch', I feel like I'm on a plateau lately, so I don't want to do longer distance, but I want to get faster.  So that means more training. 
2013-03-25 2:30 PM

Master
Washington, DC Metro
I started with lots of R, then got hurt running hurdles.  PT had me doing a lot of B, which I ended up enjoying so stuck with that for several years.  Then life took over and I did a lot of D and E (drinking and eating), which led to me being F (no explanation needed).  I decided that I would start to R again to lose some weight and get back into shape.  This led to a dozen or so marathons which became less of a challenge, so I decided that I used to B, I'm a pretty decent Rer, so why not throw in some S, and become a triathlete.  

2013-03-25 2:32 PM

Seattle
Hmmm, I think I went the opposite direction. Started with s/b/r and discovered my love for running. I am about a 90% exclusive runner but do a tri every now and again for fun. 
2013-03-25 2:33 PM

I needed to get in shape and lose weight. I like to cycle the best. But to keep motivated. I decided to add running then later swimming. I wouldn't stick with it, if I couldn't mix it up. The race is just the end goal of also to keep me going and training.
2013-03-25 2:39 PM

Champion
Philly 'burbs
It's tough to do an Ironman without s/b/r.
2013-03-25 2:52 PM

Master
Bolivia, NC
I always ran to try and keep in shape but my son wanted to do a triathlon when he turned 40 and asked if I would do it with him.  Well I did and loved it.  I am still at it, but he has had life get in the way.  He is in the process of reducing his work load so that he can get back in shape.
2013-03-25 2:53 PM

Well for me, I've been bodybuilding/strongman/powerlifting for 12 years (now 30), and 3 years ago I started judo winning a comp and earning my black belt pretty quick.

I sort of got to as big and strong as I ever will and In a natural change I got more drawn towards functional training. So I started hitting plyometrics, bodyweight training, speed and power training and Olympic lifting, and loved the raw aspect of performing against myself in a natural way.

I love climbing, gymnastics, lifting and speed/jumping because they are raw natural abilities that help us to survive.

Strangely from that I found myself drawn to two very natural things that I didn't do well - distance running and open water swimming.

Add in a love for cycling and more strangely a love of that numb feeling when running off the bike, I've suddenly found a love for a good old jog and love brick training!

I'm still behind on my swimming and will pick it up more, but after a very random athletics comp in May (im doing shot and long jump), I'll be training for my first sprint tri.

Never before in anything have I felt so hooked without even doing it yet. I just cannot wait to improve at open water swimming, I love it and the thought of a long cold swim excites me! I just need to learn not to drown!

2013-03-25 3:30 PM

Elite
Ontario

I had no background in any of the individual sports - so I just started them all at once (although I rode a decent amount as a kid).  I found that I'm not that good in the water, okay on the bike, and reasonable as a runner.  If I had to pick just one, then I'd dedicate some time to just running and see what I could accomplish.  But truth is, I keep thinking that if I take a big block of time to focus on just running, then I'd lose in the s/b.

Guess I'm a Triathlete, not a runner...

2013-03-25 3:32 PM

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I am a poor swimmer, moderate biker and pitiful runner. I figured by combining the three it would be the ultimate celebration of mediocrity.
2013-03-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4673850

Champion
PA

I love the running and I love the long swims.  Oddly enough, when I started this stuff, I thought for sure the bike would be my favorite.  Once I learned how to do the others better, they quickly moved to the top.

I'm around 5'11", 225lbs with more of a fullback build.

2013-03-25 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4673670

RedCorvette - 2013-03-25 2:42 PM

Therefore the inherent "cross-training" aspect of triathlon is a good fit and accomodates my limitations very well.

Mark

This.  I enjoy the ethos & logistical challenge of endurance sports, but my tendons didn't like marathons.  A guy at my gym who does ironmans told me that running was my past and tri was my future.  He's 70+, so I figured he probably knew a few things I didn't.  Active recovery is a natural part of triathlon training.  I love having swim days instead of off-days.  My running has actually improved.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why s/b/r, not s, b or r? Rss Feed  

of 3