Team Magic
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 30m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Day before went down early to Chatanooga with Chris (cbost), met up with Lane (cavu9) his friend, Chris (trigods), his friend melissa and son Parker. My first thought: Chatanooga a cute town but it is freakin hot!! We went thru bike course. Looked pretty good. Went to dinner. I only ate 1/2 my dinner. Too nervous but had fun with the boys. Had one beer. (hey it was only 5 pm). Oh and went to wrong hotel first. The wrong one looked like..what did Chris call it?...cheap whore crack house? uh yeah, panicked...found the right one...phew!

Didn't sleep great. Had a bad dream that Chris (trigods) told me there were like dead things and other stuff in River. uh great. Woke up 4 am (since 1 hour difference like 3 am for me). Ate 1/2 banana. (ok notice here, lack of nutrition becomes an issue. Got to race about 5:45 before the crowd. Got marked, set up, took a couple pics, looked for Chris and Lane. Got the bus to the water drop off (river swim).
Event warmup:

I stretched. No chance for swim. We just hung out. I knew I needed to eat more but just couldn't. I gave Lane a birthday mini back rub :) and then looked for a friend from my home church. Thought I found him. Practically mauled him mid stretch. Went to hug him and realized...oh crap...wrong guy..complete stranger...but you know what? the guy not only hugs me back but picks me up and like didn't let go. I didn't know if we should admit my faux paux but we just BSed and I went back to group. I then confessed to Chris and Lane that I mauled a complete stranger. Nice Renee. So why didn't he say: hey chick you go the wrong guy?
Swim
  • 27m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were on 3 second intervals. I seemed to find my own spot quickly. Went a little to left to get out of line of swimmers. Straight line made it easy to follow. Just swam and swam. Actually thought about form this time. But this was my first Oly length and only 2nd OW swim so frankly didn't sprint at all. Just kept going. About 1/2way I was like "man I can't do this"...but quickly changed thoughts and just plugged away. I need to site better. I just breast-stroke a few beats for a break and site. Just when I was cruising along I heard lots of noise and looked up..BAM there was the dock. They yell to you to reach up, One guy reached for me to pull me out and then another came over and they got me so high...man it was cool...like a cheerleading stunt..:) I think I was smaller than they were expecting. Part of the swim time was the flight of stairs to the Transition of which I walked. I am sorry, I am a big clutz, didn't chance running it and I needed to catch my breath.
What would you do differently?:

Hey my swim time great for me!!
but I could push myself a little hard in the 2nd half now that I know I can do that. I definitely got out thinking...man I could have done more. But no worries. Now I know. I can swim that far in OW! :) My theme for the day: this was my first Oly and it was HOT. I just wanted to get thru it all and love it enough to come back for more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Ok I didn't even try to go fast in transition folks. First it was big. :) And I walked. Yup and proud of it!! I think I spent more time walking to my spot and out then at my spot. Got to my spot after the little group near me and left before them. So I was just plain old lazy :)

ok ok, ..run? :)
Bike
  • 1h 37m 11s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.34 mile/hr
Comments:

When I got out of transition, I didn't even want to swing my leg on the bike. It took a bit of adjusting before I clipped in new shoes..just need to get used to I guess...but then I was off. I realized about 3 miles into the bike that I was paying the price for not enough food on Saturday and Sunday morning. Must find a way to make me eat. I started eating cliff blocks and finally by mile 10 I had some energy again. I would say I pushed myself moderately. I was afraid to go all out b/c I wanted something left for the run and just didn't know what I would have. They had the 40 year old group get in water after my age group (how they did the start age/swim time)...and all those freakin good bikers on tris just flew past me. I knew it would happen so didn't let it bother me. Oh and I did see Trigods blaze (yes BLAZE) past me as I was doing the first loop and he was finishing up the 2nd. Then all the other HEAT (my tri club) Ironmen guys blazed past me but it was great seeing them this time..!!! How much better to see them ON the bike course and not freakin done chillin out when I am coming in for T2.

I did improve my bike speed (i know you wouldn't know but I did by a mile per hour!) I just need more time on the bike and more time in bigger gears. I realize I have a high cadence on the easier gears and try to go up but I get lazy and think: this gear is too hard/it will make my thighs too big...bad for races...I am spinning and going nowhere :) So I think it is just comfort with the bike and biking efficiently with the right gears. I did feel like my legs were moving good and my feet felt great in my shoes...no numbness!! And yeah I could have pushed it harder I am sure...but again. This was my 'feel it out day'
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Again I walked in with my bike. Got in my shoes. Put on more sunscreen on my face cuz it was hurting. And took off.

Get enough endurance so I can run in transition. Only thing slowing me down :)
Run
  • 1h 20m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

um yeah. Well this would be where I gave up trying to reach my time. There were so many stairs and hills the first mile and I already decided to walk most of it..that it was hard getting running going again. Chris (Trigods) said I looked good when we passed but he forgets I was on a downhill in the shade at the time :). I passed all the HEAT (my tri club) guys and Lane and it was great to see people. It was just too damn hot for me. I am a wuss runner. I like running in 65-75 degrees...not sunny and 98. I took like 3 cups of water and 1 gatorade at every stop. I let one guy hose me but he freakin drenched me...shoes squeaking for 2 miles..thank goodness not marathon! I think I walked a lot from mile 2-4 but then decided I wanted to be done and just starting trotting (can't really call it running). Just when I was ready to bail again I found some chick that went in the water right before, she was my age and we went back and forth on the bike...and all of a sudden there she was!!...ahh....reason to push...and so I did...I ran and ran and ran right passed her and ran the whole last mile strong until I hit the finish. Ahhhhh it felt so good!!!!! All the boys were there to cheer me on.

Actually run?
Do more bricks but do more daytime runs in the heat to get used to it. I was really worried about over-heating as I run early in the morning usually. Find a sooner motivation than some chick at the end...clearly I had more to give since I ran so well in the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Loved the ice rag on my neck! Had another water then a couple beers..oh yeah baby!! At this point, Chris's son Parker decided he wanted to put ice down my pants, in my beer can, down my shirt. So I spent the next half hour chasing him, spinning him around in the air (uh not recommended after beer) and just being goofy. That was when Lane said I clearly didn't work hard enough on the race if I had that much energy to play:). But it was fun and i miss my nieces and nephews and we think Parker liked playing with someone his own height (uh yeah, he's like 6).

And then we waited for Chris (cbost) to come in then had Lane's birthday cake, went to the awards for a bit, got a freebie gift and then we called it a day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I need to eat more. I just have no fuel too quickly and I can tell that is what it is more than my muscles being tired. So eat better. Uh the 1 hour time change sucked. Not enough sleep. And just inexperience.

But rather than mope about the heat and my walking during the run as I realized my goal time was slipping, I decided to reflect on where I have come. Six months ago I got on BT to start cross training and MAYBE consider a sprint tri at best. (I thought you people were nuts for doing this IRONMAN stuff :)) It took me until March before I really got in the pool and I couldn't even swim 25 yards without stopping to rest and catch my breath. And my brand new bike sat un-used for 3 months because I was too scared to get on it. Yup. Huge childhood fear of the bike. By beginning of May I realize I need to actually get off the bike at the gym and get on my real bike since I signed up for a mini sprint for my birthday at the end of May. And so here I was just 2 1/2 months later with a couple sprint tri's under my belt and I was finishing an Olympic length triathlon...and today marked only my 3rd OW swim. I came under my times for the swim and bike. I didn't fall on the bike (yeah! no blood this time!) and I smiled to the finish and had a blast at the end and gosh it has only been like 8 hrs since finishing the race and I can't wait to train more to learn more and improve. These races are just fun. I hope though that as I get better I keep having fun, keep improving but look forward and not complain about the stuff I cant undo but be proud of what I have done and keep going.

And folks I hoped for 3:30 and that is exactly what I did...who the heck knew??? (I forgot to turn on my watch)

Event comments:

Team Magic again. Great race. Great post race food but I was too lazy to get in line. It is a fun course. It is not easy. The stairs can get you. The heat can get you. Butit is a pretty town...well done and I am going back next year to kick it out!

Last updated: 2006-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: Down River. They said the didn't do much wit the dam? (i don't know) but result was that we were not 'getting as much downstream help' as we all thought. Oh well. Swam straight downstream until the catchers literally yanked and tossed you on the dock. Up the stairs to transition.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:37:11 | 24.85 miles | 15.34 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out, up hill, straight a bit, then 2 loops, return. Headwind on the out for 6 miles..sucked...but it sure felt great on the return baby!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: l
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:20:32 | 06.21 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: To the riverfront, up stairs, around turns, more stairs, more turns, BAM big MF hill (so big I didn't even run it down coming back), winding thru, some shade...flat, one more hill and turnaround.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2006-07-16 9:55 PM
in reply to: #484220

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

Wow am I the first one.....

Renee you did great! It was your first OLY and now you know what it is all about. As for getting better, riding, swimming, and running will take care of that.

You do need to quit taking naps in transition though... lol

2006-07-16 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

CONGRATULATIONS GIRLY GIRL!!!  I'm so freaking proud of you for getting out there and kicking some Oly butt!!   YOU ROCK!!

2006-07-16 10:48 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

YEAH Riz!!!  You did an OLY ... and, not only that, you finished strong.

Way to make triathlons a more friendly place. I can just see this guy's race report "...and there I was stretching, getting my thoughts together for the race and this young thing comes over and gives me a hug. I hug her back, thinking 'Man, this is going to be a great race!'"

2006-07-16 10:52 PM

Champion

Whoa, nice race Renee.  You really rocked on the swim especially and the bike time is better too.  Hey, any kind of running in 98 degree heat is good, so the time means nothing.

Oh yeah, I have to tell you that the hug with the strange guy, well there isn't a guy around that will turn down a freebie like that, whether he knows you or not.  It's built into our genetic makeup, you know, like a Christmas present from an aunt you never met!  LOL

2006-07-16 11:00 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Wow, awesome job!  Reading the last part of your RR about your journey is cool!  It puts things into perspective.  What a proud moment, to finish that OLY!  I did my first OLY in June, and now I want to do another one (maybe in October).  So keep working on this stuff and who knows, maybe you'll be doing one of those crazy Ironman things one day!  Great RACE!

2006-07-16 11:38 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Renee.  Great race for your first Olympic.  Next year, I'll do it with you.
2006-07-17 7:19 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-07-17 7:38 AM

Perth
Very well done, sounds like you had a great time...
2006-07-17 7:51 AM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Yay Renee!  You did it!  That is a tough race!  Glad you enjoyed it- especially the swim! 

2006-07-17 8:10 AM

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Congrats on your first Oly. That was a good race to pick for your first. Very well done.

2006-07-17 8:11 AM

Master
Pulaski TN
Awesome job Renee on your first OLY!!!
2006-07-17 9:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Way to go Rizzo....great race and if you keep on the bike and keep swimming and running you will get better and better the more comfortable you get....Ironman????hmmmmmm   CONGRATS
2006-07-17 10:08 AM

Master
Athens, Ga.

YAY, RENEE! You did it! I had no idea that you just started thinking about tris six months ago. You rock, girl. I am so proud of you! (and your RR convinced me that I could actually do an oly).

Have you hugged a stranger today?

2006-07-17 2:01 PM

Master
Boston
Great race report Renee! Nutrition is the hardest thing to figure out. I always have a nutrition plan, and it goes out the window once the race starts. I guess I just can't multitask. Clif shot bloks work pretty good, just make sure you eat some every 40 mins or so. I bet it was a fun BT party up there! Maybe I will consider doing it next year. Keep up the training!!
2006-07-17 3:57 PM

Veteran
silverton oregon

Great Job on the race!  Was the stranger cute?  did you get his number? At least you could train with him and he would understand all about that  

thanks for the tip on training in the heat.  I always try to avoid it and I guess I should try to embrace it. My tri in September will be warm.

Again....GREAT JOB! 

2006-07-17 4:07 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Renee   You have come a reallylong way in a short time   AWESOME swim!!!  Congratulations!!
2006-07-17 4:10 PM

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Great job on the first OLY Renee!!!  Way to keep a smile on your face the whole way!  

And most of all, thanks for the Birthday Cake!!!  (and the back rub!)

2006-07-17 4:55 PM

Veteran
Norcross, GA

Great job on your first Oly!  I agree, the run was absolutely crazy with all the steps & hills, but you finished strong!  Wish I could have met ya.

2006-07-17 5:11 PM

Extreme Veteran

Renee!!!! Great JOB!! You're awesome! 

I love your story about hugging the stranger That's a great line to use when you spot a tri guy that suits your fancy... good ice breaker, huh?

I'm so proud of you for doing the OLY already! You're ahead of me now!

2006-07-18 8:49 AM

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

Fabulous race report!  Renee you rock! 

Of course you might want to be careful going about hugging strange men...

I learn so much from reading these race reports, especially folks who are not much more experienced than I am.  Thanks Renee.  And GREAT JOB!

Peace. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed