United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 24m 22s
Overall Rank = /210
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

There is very limited parking so I just parked way off site and jogged in. I met my coach and team at the park and grabbed my number and timing chips. They do two chips, one on each shoe.

I had gone back and forth on what shoes to wear since I don't own XC spikes yet. Because the majority of the race was "groomed" dirt trail with some loose gravel, I just went with my racing flats.

Event warmup:

Ran a few miles with my teammates then headed to the start and did some strides.
Run
  • 24m 22s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so excited to do something new!!!! I have seen a few meets and have done a few practices geared towards XC racing but I didn't really know what to expect. I'm using fall XC to build up some strength before I dive into marathon training this winter.

I'm just coming off a break so this was my first race. My fitness is not totally up to par yet so, in addition to this whole thing being new to me, I had fairly low expectations. The race was a college race so it was very, very competitive.

My goals for this race were pretty simple: enjoy something new and try not to suck. There were 7 of us on the team and the top 6 score, so, I was kind of hoping to score but that wasn't really the top priority this time around.

We gathered in the starting box. In cross country each team starts in a box across a really long start line. There were 200+ women in this race, so you can imagine what that might look like. As for what it sounds like? When that gun goes off, it sounds like a stampede.

The start and finish in an XC race are like and all out sprint. I actually held back a little in the start because, well, I knew I wouldn't be leading but also because I totally spaced on looking at the course map and didn't want to get lost.

Once we got off the grass it was a very sharp turn onto the trails. The really cool thing about cross country is the mental aspect. A lot like normal trail racing, you are spending a good portion of your mental capacity just searching for good footing; Mix that with 210 girls all around you and it's not easy. There are lots of surges and then reigning it in, surge, reign in etc. It's not like a road race where you stick to a pace.

I was running the downhills as reckless as possible and then grinding the uphills. There were so many coaches and parents and cheerleaders all along the course, it was just crazy!

Additionally, our coaches were out there too. I've never had the opportunity to be coached so much in a race. It was great!

After the mad shuffle at the beginning of the race, I came out 5th woman on our team. Now, as I entered the second loop I could see one of my teammates ahead. I caught up to her and ran with her for a bit. I knew she went to Nationals the year before with our "A" team so I almost felt like passing her would be a mistake but the pace just felt a bit slow so I went for it.

I felt really good on the uphills. I think that once I am a little closer to "peak" fitness this will be a real strength of mine.

We ended the second loop and started the third. This was it! The first portion is down a long dirt downhill. Instead of attacking the downhill I just floated it and used it to recover a bit so that I could put my efforts into working the uphill and the finish. I believe this was a good strategy. By the time we got to the long uphill section, I was passing a ton of women.

From what I knew of XC, it's a fine balance giving a race your all, but reserving just enough to really kick it in the chute. Because you are scored as a team, ever place counts and you can lose a lot of positioning in that chute.

I began my kick and just went for it. All out. I almost never run like this. I got just to the cusp of puking then reeled back just a bit. I could see a girl coming up behind me in my peripheral so I surged one last time over the finish.

I ended up scoring for our team as the 4th women to cross! I was super happy about that!

I also landed in the top half of finishers, and considering the level of competition, I am VERY happy with that!!! Can't wait to do this again!
What would you do differently?:

I may have run the first half a little too conservative but I'm not even sure of that. I just need to keep building up my fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

We had a big team BBQ. One of the guys who did the 8K mens race got up early, went down and caught a salmon that filleted and BBQed it after his race. SO badazz!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness, inexperience

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:22 | 03.73 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/210
Performance: Good
Course: 6K 3 loop course on dirt/gravel roads with grass and bark sections. Lots of hills and turns. Each loop got slightly bigger and was a variation of the previous loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-16 11:51 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: XC #1 SD Invitational 6K

2013-09-16 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4856622

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: XC #1 Sun Dodger Invisational

Nicely done, it sounds like a great experience!

Congrats.

2013-09-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Score!  That's a big deal and a great accomplishment - congrats!  (for the record, I've always wanted to score during a race. or after. or anytime.  Wait.  What?).

Seriously, that really is terrific and it sounds as though you ran the race "smart" - being close to puking down the chute is awesome!  One of the best feelings in any kind of race, but really important here, huh?  Well done!  Laughing

Makes me want to run XC in the fall "off season."

And talk about eating what you kill - hardcore post-race eats.

Matt

2013-09-16 12:43 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pennsylvania
Fascinating!  Your RR made me realize I know next to nothing about how XC races are run.  Loved how you adapted throughout the run and came up with a good strategy, well, good strategies that helped you kick some azz!!  Great job, Salty!
2013-09-16 12:47 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Score!  That's a big deal and a great accomplishment - congrats!  (for the record, I've always wanted to score during a race. or after. or anytime.  Wait.  What?).

Seriously, that really is terrific and it sounds as though you ran the race "smart" - being close to puking down the chute is awesome!  One of the best feelings in any kind of race, but really important here, huh?  Well done!  Laughing

Matt

Oh yes, scoring before a big race is key to the overall strategy Smile and after? That's part of the celebration! 

2013-09-16 12:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Oh yes, scoring before a big race is key to the overall strategy Smile and after? That's part of the celebration! 

Awesome!

2013-09-16 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: XC #1 Sun Dodger Invitational

I'm not surprised you totally nailed it 'cause YOU ROCK.

Congrats on a great race and enjoying it along the way. Sounds like a real challenge.

2013-09-16 3:54 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOO HOO!!

Sounds like a blast!
2013-09-16 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Terrific! My son's races start with 60-70 guys in a long line. Seeing a line of 200+ must have been crazy.

His coach told them to sprint out at the beginning for 300-400 yards to get in front, and then settle into a pace (with surges throughout and a sprint at the end). His theory is that it's easier to start out near the front than to have to pass people during the race. I didn't argue with him, but I'm not sure that's a fantastic strategy. But, hey, it's a strategy.

Congratulations on such an awesome job at a fun race.

2013-09-16 4:14 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You amaze me with how quickly you adapt to different race circumstances and settings

Awesomeness!

2013-09-16 4:17 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by KansasMom

Terrific! My son's races start with 60-70 guys in a long line. Seeing a line of 200+ must have been crazy.

His coach told them to sprint out at the beginning for 300-400 yards to get in front, and then settle into a pace (with surges throughout and a sprint at the end). His theory is that it's easier to start out near the front than to have to pass people during the race. I didn't argue with him, but I'm not sure that's a fantastic strategy. But, hey, it's a strategy.

Congratulations on such an awesome job at a fun race.

Actually, that is THE strategy.

I just know I'm not in a position to be vying for a win ... YET Smile

2013-09-16 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
i thought you were going to stop during the race to celebrate your 2000th mile?  XC sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait to see how you do when you're in shape!
2013-09-16 5:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Payson, AZ

you are bad

darn it, BT and it's silly editing. 

You are bad a**

Edited by bzgl40 2013-09-16 5:29 PM
2013-09-16 5:41 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Way to go Salty!  Sounds like a lot of fun!
2013-09-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Woo hoo!  Great job!  I'm so glad that you had fun :-)
2013-09-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle
Thanks guys! Yeah, hmmmm after reading all of your comments, maybe I had too much fun, maybe I need to run harder lol!

2013-09-17 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed Thanks guys! Yeah, hmmmm after reading all of your comments, maybe I had too much fun, maybe I need to run harder lol!

Nah - having fun during the race is way more fun! 

The reality is that I think you were really smart for the whole race with constantly evaluating how you were feeling vs. what you know your abilities are... and you didn't puke = bonus! 

2013-09-17 12:23 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: XC #1 Sun Dodger Invitational 6K

Awesome race!

I ran X-C in high school and this totally had me smiling with nostalgia and had me thinking that perhaps I should see if I can find anything for older folks around here.  It sounds like you really executed well, and if this is what you do when NOT at peak fitness, you're going to be crushing souls soon when you are at peak.

Congrats!! 

I actually held back a little in the start because, well, I knew I wouldn't be leading but also because I totally spaced on looking at the course map and didn't want to get lost.

In high school, we'd jog the entire course at an easy pace as part of our warm-up... gave us the warm-up, and also let us see an unfamiliar course to see where we needed to go.

2013-09-18 11:42 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by cgregg

Awesome race!

I ran X-C in high school and this totally had me smiling with nostalgia and had me thinking that perhaps I should see if I can find anything for older folks around here.  It sounds like you really executed well, and if this is what you do when NOT at peak fitness, you're going to be crushing souls soon when you are at peak.

Congrats!! 

I actually held back a little in the start because, well, I knew I wouldn't be leading but also because I totally spaced on looking at the course map and didn't want to get lost.

In high school, we'd jog the entire course at an easy pace as part of our warm-up... gave us the warm-up, and also let us see an unfamiliar course to see where we needed to go.

Chris, you really should do it! The races we enter are all collegiate and they allow unattached runners. You should do that! Or find a club.

The rest of my team did jog the course (while my coach ride a bike and gave strategy suggestions) but alas, I was late Yell

2013-09-18 10:27 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

As usual, great RR.  I've never even watched a XC race.  The start sounds intense.  Is the trail wide enough that you can pass easily or is that kinda tricky?  Any girls go down? 

Funny story: (only cuz I know you like these, and remind me the next time we're together to show you my banana party trick)

My husband found a cell phone at the park and he was trying to figure out how to get in touch with the owner to let him know he'd found his phone.  He ended up in this guy's voicemail and heard the following message:

"Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.  Are you ready to eat the CHIT outta some Hardee's?  It is gonna be SICK as FACH!"

Your damn right that's a family joke. 

Now, you say you're not at peak fitness yet and you're layin down a 6:32mpm in your first XC race? Daaaayum

So, Salty, are you ready to race the CHIT outta some xc chics?  You are gonna be SICK as FACH!

Right on, girl.

2013-09-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
nice race

that talent is shining through again...

I did a XC race when my son was doing Junior Olympic XC-he was like 10 at the time. I jumped in and did my first and only XC race, wearing jeans.
What a blast!

Glad you braved it. Now try some track racing. Ever use blocks? Now that's an experience. Learning how to lean...

Great job overall!

2013-09-20 12:15 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

As usual, great RR.  I've never even watched a XC race.  The start sounds intense.  Is the trail wide enough that you can pass easily or is that kinda tricky?  Any girls go down? 

Funny story: (only cuz I know you like these, and remind me the next time we're together to show you my banana party trick)

My husband found a cell phone at the park and he was trying to figure out how to get in touch with the owner to let him know he'd found his phone.  He ended up in this guy's voicemail and heard the following message:

"Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.  Are you ready to eat the CHIT outta some Hardee's?  It is gonna be SICK as FACH!"

Your damn right that's a family joke. 

Now, you say you're not at peak fitness yet and you're layin down a 6:32mpm in your first XC race? Daaaayum

So, Salty, are you ready to race the CHIT outta some xc chics?  You are gonna be SICK as FACH!

Right on, girl.

Can't wait to see that banana trick!

As for your question about the trail. It gets narrow, yes, but all the runners thin out and it's totally possible to pass. You have to be strategic and some teams work together to make it a little more difficult, but in general it's not too hard.

And thank you for the words

2013-09-20 12:16 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce nice race that talent is shining through again... I did a XC race when my son was doing Junior Olympic XC-he was like 10 at the time. I jumped in and did my first and only XC race, wearing jeans. What a blast! Glad you braved it. Now try some track racing. Ever use blocks? Now that's an experience. Learning how to lean... Great job overall!

I started to do some track stuff this summer but it was very difficult to do while OLY training. Next year I am going at it full force. Going to try some different distances (maybe an 800? Surprised)

Holy shyte, XC in jeans! I love it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XC #1 SD Invitational 6K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Carrabasset Valley XC Challenge

Started by maureen
Views: 1047 Posts: 5

2006-08-22 12:07 PM max

Noho XC 5K 9/20/05

Started by Gwendal
Views: 1429 Posts: 2

2005-09-21 7:36 AM Celeb_ithil

Noho XC 5K 7/19/05

Started by Gwendal
Views: 1092 Posts: 6

2005-07-20 12:52 AM ChrisM

Noho XC Race 6/21/05

Started by Gwendal
Views: 899 Posts: 2

2005-06-22 12:12 AM cadreamer

Noho XC 6/7/05

Started by Gwendal
Views: 836 Posts: 3

2005-06-08 9:17 AM Gwendal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : YourYoga
comments : 0
The focus for this second session are the Sun Salutations that are comprised of 12 poses that flow from one to another, repeated four times.