Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-11-11 8:40 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Cancer sucks

Originally posted by DanielG The good news (there is actually some) As long as it hasn't gone out of the kidney, as soon as I get it cut out, it's done. There's not even any special diet required after that and life goes on without restriction. Good news #2: According to my urologist (the doc doing the surgery) he's used to the FAA and flight surgeons and he says there is no reason I cannot get cleared for flight status as soon as it's healed. I just am crossing fingers it's internal to the kidney only. 10 cm X 8 cm X 6.5 cm. I basically don't have a right kidney any more. I did change out my crank set with power meter and bottom bracket over to the carbon road bike so I wouldn't have as much vibration on me when I got to riding again. Yeah, I'm finding little puttery things to do to keep occupied Thanks for all the good thoughts, all are appreciated!

FIngers crossed!! I only have one kidney (born that way) No worries you will be able to train with one just fine

2013-11-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro
Tejas
Sorry to hear this. Cancer has taken half of my family from me, so cancer really, really, really sucks IMO. Hope your treatment goes well.
2013-11-11 10:10 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG I think about posting and then don't then think then don't. In a week and a couple days I go in to get a kidney removed. Kidney cancer. WTF? Can't bike for a month. I had to talk Doc into saying I can swim in two weeks IF it doesn't hurt. I'm just grumpy.

I think you're entitled to being grumpy. Cancer does suck. Renal cell carcinoma?

You've got a big support group available if you need it. Add me to the list of people pulling for you.

2013-11-11 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

So sorry to read this! Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

2013-11-11 11:38 AM
in reply to: kelpeng

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Sorry to hear.  Friends, family and positive outlook do wonders.  Hang in there.

2013-11-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Sorry to hear of your cancer.  Hope all goes well for you now and your future.  Sounds like you are ready to take it head on!!!!

2013-11-11 1:40 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I will give you as much positive power as I can since after dealing with my sister's passing a short 3 weeks ago.

2013-11-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Elite

Wow Dan, I'm pretty suprised cancer had the balls to mess with you. Well hopefully your frontal cross section will be a bit better with one kidney and you will be more aerodynamic.

It's weird when things interfere with life... I was told I had a tumor on my spinal cord and the first thought I had was, "darn it, I was going to max out my sick leave this year.... and the second was... but I can still do the Pike's Peak Ascent right?"

Heal fast. Best wishes. Training can wait. You will be back at it in no time.

2013-11-11 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Daniel, just read this. Sending some positive thoughts your way.
2013-11-11 4:56 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by powerman

Wow Dan, I'm pretty suprised cancer had the balls to mess with you. Well hopefully your frontal cross section will be a bit better with one kidney and you will be more aerodynamic.

It's weird when things interfere with life... I was told I had a tumor on my spinal cord and the first thought I had was, "darn it, I was going to max out my sick leave this year.... and the second was... but I can still do the Pike's Peak Ascent right?"

Heal fast. Best wishes. Training can wait. You will be back at it in no time.

Giggling....
2013-11-11 6:49 PM

User image

sending positive thoughts your way

2013-11-12 8:54 AM

User image

Subject line says it all and your 100% right.  Good luck - stay strong!

I've had 4 or 5 things removed between skin and one internal and my thought always is I should be running faster because now I'm lighter. 

Recover quick

2013-11-12 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Hang in there, I know it sucks. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.
2013-11-12 9:21 AM
in reply to: JMoney

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you are mentally ready to win this one, so keep on keeping on.

2013-11-12 1:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Add me to the list of healing vibes coming your way, Daniel!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You're lucky it was found. It is often an incidental finding when looking for other things.

Being alive is worth it!
And furthermore, surgery is curative with good margins and no local invasion.
One of my nurse's had to have this done fairly recently and she was back pretty quickly.

Of course, since you'll be a bit lopsided, you'll have to work on balance on S/B/R to lean a bit to one side to make up for it...

Edited by dtoce 2013-11-12 1:34 PM
2013-11-12 2:29 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

You've got a great attitude...and attitude is everything.

Best Wishes!

2013-11-12 2:48 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

I'm cleared for surgery from my primary care doc.

EKG came back with "borderline" written on it. No one seems to know what the heck that pertains to or what I'm borderline for. So I've got an appointment with a cardiologist this week. They also have my number in case someone cancels an appointment prior to Thursday when my appointment is.

It seems when you train for endurance stuff for multiple years you end up with an enlarged left ventricle. If you do endurance stuff, that's a good thing, more blood with o2 going to your bod.

Unfortunately something like that comes to play with heart disease. So one needs to get to a cardiologist to be able to tell the difference.

Joy.

Two Ironmans, six Half Ironmans and who knows how many sprints and OLYs later I'm hoping I qualify for the endurance stuff.

Apparently my gall bladder is full of stones. Small ones, granted, but full of 'em. So, "while they're in there..." I'm losing my gall bladder too.

I asked if the appendix was all that necessary and if they knew of a good black market organ farm I could use for other duplicates. He wasn't near as amused as I was with that.

2013-11-12 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by DanielG

I'm cleared for surgery from my primary care doc.

EKG came back with "borderline" written on it. No one seems to know what the heck that pertains to or what I'm borderline for. So I've got an appointment with a cardiologist this week. They also have my number in case someone cancels an appointment prior to Thursday when my appointment is.

It seems when you train for endurance stuff for multiple years you end up with an enlarged left ventricle. If you do endurance stuff, that's a good thing, more blood with o2 going to your bod.

Unfortunately something like that comes to play with heart disease. So one needs to get to a cardiologist to be able to tell the difference.

Joy.

Two Ironmans, six Half Ironmans and who knows how many sprints and OLYs later I'm hoping I qualify for the endurance stuff.

Apparently my gall bladder is full of stones. Small ones, granted, but full of 'em. So, "while they're in there..." I'm losing my gall bladder too.

I asked if the appendix was all that necessary and if they knew of a good black market organ farm I could use for other duplicates. He wasn't near as amused as I was with that.

sarcasm is good! and I think you're pretty funny...

you'll do fine-being an endurance athlete gets you an abnormal EKG-almost always, but it is not necessarily a sign of bad things
I'm sure you heart doc will figure it out quite quickly (I should know since I am a cardiologist and take care of a lot of athletes )

The sad reality is that CAD (coronary artery disease) is still the most common reason for dying after age 35 and this is an intermediate risk surgery so you will have to get checked out...

good luck and let us know how it goes
Dale
2013-11-12 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Thinking about you...my dad was born with only one kidney - and it hasn't stopped him at all...so you can do just fine with only one. I hope everything goes well and we'll be sending healing thoughts your way.
2013-11-12 3:49 PM
in reply to: jswayland

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, that's another way to lose several pounds over night...  I'm sure SOMEONE could market it as the next fad.  Getting my thyroid scooped out barely dropped me an ounce...

2013-11-12 3:53 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Good luck Daniel. Hope the surgery goes well and you get a clean bill of health afterward!

2013-11-15 10:43 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Veteran
Austin
Good luck. I hope everything works out. You will be back out before you know it. Get well soon.
DC
2013-11-16 1:49 AM

User image

Two days.
2013-11-16 5:53 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by DanielG I'm cleared for surgery from my primary care doc. EKG came back with "borderline" written on it. No one seems to know what the heck that pertains to or what I'm borderline for. So I've got an appointment with a cardiologist this week. They also have my number in case someone cancels an appointment prior to Thursday when my appointment is. It seems when you train for endurance stuff for multiple years you end up with an enlarged left ventricle. If you do endurance stuff, that's a good thing, more blood with o2 going to your bod. Unfortunately something like that comes to play with heart disease. So one needs to get to a cardiologist to be able to tell the difference. Joy. Two Ironmans, six Half Ironmans and who knows how many sprints and OLYs later I'm hoping I qualify for the endurance stuff. Apparently my gall bladder is full of stones. Small ones, granted, but full of 'em. So, "while they're in there..." I'm losing my gall bladder too. I asked if the appendix was all that necessary and if they knew of a good black market organ farm I could use for other duplicates. He wasn't near as amused as I was with that.

Hee, glad you have a sense of humor .

Way back when, when my Dad was a 50 something, he went in for an exam and they found out he had bladder cancer. While they were doing all the tests they also found out he had an aneurysm. If the cancer had not reared it's ugly head the aneurysm would have taken him out for sure. He had the medical procedures and has lived on all these years later cancer free. He has had scares with other issues but that would go in the heart disease sucks thread .

Thinking of you!

2013-11-16 9:10 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG I'm cleared for surgery from my primary care doc. EKG came back with "borderline" written on it. No one seems to know what the heck that pertains to or what I'm borderline for. So I've got an appointment with a cardiologist this week. They also have my number in case someone cancels an appointment prior to Thursday when my appointment is. It seems when you train for endurance stuff for multiple years you end up with an enlarged left ventricle. If you do endurance stuff, that's a good thing, more blood with o2 going to your bod. Unfortunately something like that comes to play with heart disease. So one needs to get to a cardiologist to be able to tell the difference. Joy. Two Ironmans, six Half Ironmans and who knows how many sprints and OLYs later I'm hoping I qualify for the endurance stuff. Apparently my gall bladder is full of stones. Small ones, granted, but full of 'em. So, "while they're in there..." I'm losing my gall bladder too. I asked if the appendix was all that necessary and if they knew of a good black market organ farm I could use for other duplicates. He wasn't near as amused as I was with that.

I went to the cardiologist last year when I turned 50. Fortunately my PCP knows me pretty well, his daughter is a runner, so he found one that was a good fit. Turns out he'd done a couple marathon and had a number of athletes in his practice. I was told I have a 'large and healthy heart.'

We are outside of the norm for most physicians. I would think most cardiologists are dealing with heart disease related to aging and obesity, not sports. At any rate, I am glad you're maintaining your sense of humor over all of this.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cancer sucks Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Cancer Sucks!

Started by miami9296
Views: 2005 Posts: 24

2008-10-21 6:56 PM TeddieMao

Cancer sucks - needed to let it out...

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 1204 Posts: 23

2007-12-12 6:02 AM SSMinnow

My friends suck! Pages: 1 2

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 2428 Posts: 27

2005-10-05 3:40 PM mnflyfish

My life sucks right now

Started by Zilla
Views: 1398 Posts: 14

2005-08-23 1:52 PM clflgrl

WORK SUCKS ALREADY! Monday 9:12am

Started by misscullen
Views: 1299 Posts: 19

2005-06-21 7:46 AM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 25, 2011
author : debihake
comments : 14
Overcoming many injuries, cancer and FEAR to compete in a triathlon

date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
comments : 0
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.
date : July 3, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
There are other risks that may not be perceived because of their long term nature. This article deals with one of those, the risk of developing skin cancer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
Finding the correct cause and most effective treatment will return the athlete to competitive form most quickly, and should be done under the guidance of a well qualified physician.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.