General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CO2 Cartridge on Plane Question updated or current? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-10 10:12 AM

User image

Subject: CO2 Cartridge on Plane Question updated or current?
Yes, I know this has been discussed many times. I cannot find a current or definitive answer. A lot of opinions and experiences versus what is really allowed. I have checked the TSA website and it doesn't specifically talk about the small CO2 cartridges for bikes etc. It only talks about the large canisters that have removable valves.

Does anyone have an update/current answer to whether or not CO2 cartridges for bikes are allowed on a plane? Checked or carry on?

Thanks.

2014-05-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: rcwso

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: CO2 Cartridge on Plane Question updated or current?

I don't know how official the TSA blog is but...

"The FAA prohibits CO2 cartridges in both checked and carry-on bags unless they are with an inflatable life vest."

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/05/tsa-week-in-review-29-firearms.html

2014-05-10 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by rcwso

Yes, I know this has been discussed many times. I cannot find a current or definitive answer. A lot of opinions and experiences versus what is really allowed. I have checked the TSA website and it doesn't specifically talk about the small CO2 cartridges for bikes etc. It only talks about the large canisters that have removable valves.

Does anyone have an update/current answer to whether or not CO2 cartridges for bikes are allowed on a plane? Checked or carry on?

Thanks.

Prohibited, but I am 2/2 on carrying small cartridges in my bike box.
2014-05-10 2:23 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Thanks for the info. I haven't decided if I will put them in my bike box this week or not for checked luggage. I would hate for them to open it and then have a hard time putting it back without damaging it.
2014-05-10 3:12 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

They are going to open your bike box anyway. We fly with ours 3~5 times per year, and they always open them.

I have forgotten to take the CO2 cartridges out of my flat kit on a number of occasions and they have never been removed or confiscated.

If I remember however I will remove them, and just buy a handful wherever I am going. Hopefully you don't have to use them, and you will ALWAYS make someone's day when you give them a handful before you leave your destination. A bit of Good Karma from the God of Flat Tires if nothing else...

2014-05-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I just flew home from a race the other day and forgot to remove the CO2 cartridges (remembered on the way out there, but forgot on the way back).  TSA opened the bike case but either didn't notice or didn't care about the CO2 cartridges and left them alone. 

2014-05-10 6:10 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy

They are going to open your bike box anyway. We fly with ours 3~5 times per year, and they always open them.

I have forgotten to take the CO2 cartridges out of my flat kit on a number of occasions and they have never been removed or confiscated.

If I remember however I will remove them, and just buy a handful wherever I am going. Hopefully you don't have to use them, and you will ALWAYS make someone's day when you give them a handful before you leave your destination. A bit of Good Karma from the God of Flat Tires if nothing else...

+1

We did this at our last race in Miami.  Gave them to the doorman at the hotel we were staying at, he thought it was awesome!  He said he didn't ride but would use them for his paintball guns.  

2014-05-10 6:31 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

I may throw a couple in and see if they make it.

Thanks.
2014-05-10 8:12 PM

User image

I had one CO2 in my carry-on last August going through PHX. I was stopped at security, they brought it to the supervisor who called me aside. They made a very big deal about this, asked again for my ID and had a mini conference before telling me that it would have to be confiscated. No big deal I thought but 5 months later I got a letter in the mail from TSA telling me that I had been in possession of a "...Danger Weapon..." during screening (1540.111a). They mentioned in the letter that the warning was sufficient for now but I am sure that my name is permanently scrolled on a TSA watch list. YMMV.

Keba
2014-05-11 3:17 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by KebaNYC

I had one CO2 in my carry-on last August going through PHX. I was stopped at security, they brought it to the supervisor who called me aside. They made a very big deal about this, asked again for my ID and had a mini conference before telling me that it would have to be confiscated. No big deal I thought but 5 months later I got a letter in the mail from TSA telling me that I had been in possession of a "...Danger Weapon..." during screening (1540.111a). They mentioned in the letter that the warning was sufficient for now but I am sure that my name is permanently scrolled on a TSA watch list. YMMV.

Keba

Wow. That's good to know.
2014-05-11 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, NY
sounds like a hazard. would just buy a couple at a local bike shop. discard them or give them away before you leave.

2014-05-11 11:41 PM
in reply to: gohmdoree

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by gohmdoree

sounds like a hazard. would just buy a couple at a local bike shop. discard them or give them away before you leave.

I don't think I agree. The FAA allows CO2 cannisters if they are attached to an inflatable life jacket. Ergo they musy be safe enough to go on a plane. I mean, really, the attachment to a life jacket doesn't change the CO2 cannister at all. It just makes it comply with the airline rules. This seems fairly dumb to me.

If I can find a cheap inflatable life jacket I would've tempted to buy it so I can "legally" take my dangerous contraband to races.
2014-05-12 4:01 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Co2 cartridges are not allowed on the plane, simple as that. Just because the life jackets on the plane has them, doesn't mean that you can bring your own Co2 (or inflatable life jacket for that matter). So, what can happen if you bring them on the plane? First of all, you can get denied entry to the secure area (hence denied boarding) and the airline does not have any responsibility at this point, so you will lose the cost of the flight in addition to not getting where you want to get to.

Personally, a few $ for a Co2 at the destination or losing the flight… hmm, I think I'll buy some Co2 when I land instead.
2014-05-12 6:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by rcwso

Thanks for the info. I haven't decided if I will put them in my bike box this week or not for checked luggage. I would hate for them to open it and then have a hard time putting it back without damaging it.

This is why my parents printed 8x10 pics of how to put the bike back in the box inside the lid.
2014-05-12 7:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by gohmdoree

I don't think I agree. The FAA allows CO2 cannisters if they are attached to an inflatable life jacket. Ergo they musy be safe enough to go on a plane. I mean, really, the attachment to a life jacket doesn't change the CO2 cannister at all. It just makes it comply with the airline rules. This seems fairly dumb to me.

If I can find a cheap inflatable life jacket I would've tempted to buy it so I can "legally" take my dangerous contraband to races.

You can easily make a weapon out of a CO2 cartridge and I have to agree that they should not allow these on a plane. It's a couple of bucks to get them when you get there.

Of coarse there are more common items that are allowed on a plane that are just as dangerous.
2014-05-12 8:10 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bigevilgrape
Originally posted by rcwso Thanks for the info. I haven't decided if I will put them in my bike box this week or not for checked luggage. I would hate for them to open it and then have a hard time putting it back without damaging it.
This is why my parents printed 8x10 pics of how to put the bike back in the box inside the lid.

Great idea. One of my friends did IM Zurich last year and they lost the seatpost nut off of her bike after taking it apart. She was frantic trying to get the part before the race.

2014-05-12 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
annoying, but they are not allowed.

I gave up with this, and just buy them at the race, part of the race cost.

I give them away to locals or back to the bike shop.
2014-05-12 5:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by rcwso Thanks for the info. I haven't decided if I will put them in my bike box this week or not for checked luggage. I would hate for them to open it and then have a hard time putting it back without damaging it.

Great idea. One of my friends did IM Zurich last year and they lost the seatpost nut off of her bike after taking it apart. She was frantic trying to get the part before the race.

If you ask to stay with the bike you can nicely walk them through repacking it, or they'll even let you re-pack it. The one time I didn't do this (yes, I was hung over and not in the mood to hang around) they didn't even close the box fully. Still can't believe more stuff wasn't lost out of that box. 

Why someone would even risk the possibility of being denied flight for a $3 cartridge is beyond me. Sure we all forget (i have) but to intentionally put them in your bike box even after reading the responses here... 

Edited by thebigb 2014-05-12 5:49 PM
2014-05-12 7:29 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by audiojan

Co2 cartridges are not allowed on the plane, simple as that. Just because the life jackets on the plane has them, doesn't mean that you can bring your own Co2 (or inflatable life jacket for that matter). So, what can happen if you bring them on the plane? First of all, you can get denied entry to the secure area (hence denied boarding) and the airline does not have any responsibility at this point, so you will lose the cost of the flight in addition to not getting where you want to get to.

Personally, a few $ for a Co2 at the destination or losing the flight… hmm, I think I'll buy some Co2 when I land instead.

Not quite that simple...... Copied directly from the TSA Blog:

CO2 Cartridges – A total of seven CO2 cartridges were discovered this week, so I thought that it would be appropriate for me to explain when they are permitted to be carried with you. The FAA prohibits CO2 cartridges in both checked and carry-on bags unless they are with an inflatable life vest. You can have up to two in the life vest and two spares. The spares must accompany the life vest and be presented as one unit. CO2 cartridges are also permitted for operating mechanical limbs, along with spare cylinders to ensure an adequate supply for the journey.

My interpretation is that I can carry up to four CO2 cartridges on to the plane as long as they are associated with my personal inflatable life jacket. Is it worth it to me to buy a life jacket just to prove a point and carry my CO2 cartridges with me? No. Probably not. But again, how stupid is it that I can carry them on (therefore they must be safe) if they are associated with a life jacket but I can't carry them of if they are associated with my bike stuff. Same CO2 cartridge. Same weapon potential. One way is approved and one way isn't.
2014-05-12 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

My interpretation is that I can carry up to four CO2 cartridges on to the plane as long as they are associated with my personal inflatable life jacket. Is it worth it to me to buy a life jacket just to prove a point and carry my CO2 cartridges with me?

You are on to something.

The swimit uses a CO2 cartridge. Is it considered a personal inflatable life jacket ?
2014-05-12 8:41 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Master
, California

Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

If you ask to stay with the bike you can nicely walk them through repacking it, or they'll even let you re-pack it. The one time I didn't do this (yes, I was hung over and not in the mood to hang around) they didn't even close the box fully. Still can't believe more stuff wasn't lost out of that box. 

Why someone would even risk the possibility of being denied flight for a $3 cartridge is beyond me. Sure we all forget (i have) but to intentionally put them in your bike box even after reading the responses here... 

Or getting a big fat fine, or getting your name on some list you don't want to be on.  I don't know how likely that is, but why not just pick up some cartridges after you land?

2014-05-12 8:49 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

If the rule is no co2 cartridges then what is so hard about not bringing co2 cartridges? 

2014-05-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

If the rule is no co2 cartridges then what is so hard about not bringing co2 cartridges? 

Because we are triathletes that spend thousands of dollars on a sport where we can debate what is the best way to save $3 without going to jail.

Edited by Jason N 2014-05-12 9:03 PM
2014-05-12 9:07 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Because we are triathletes that spend thousands of dollars on a sport where we can debate what is the best way to save $3 without going to jail.

Yeah....there is that.

2014-05-12 9:12 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I am enjoying beating this dead horse.

Because the rule isn't really no CO2 cartridges.

What is so hard about that?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CO2 Cartridge on Plane Question updated or current? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

CO2 cartridge question

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1136 Posts: 6

2009-08-24 11:35 AM curegirl

CO2 cartridges...

Started by Rad-Onc PA
Views: 1445 Posts: 11

2008-10-01 4:20 PM Aikidoman

PSA: CO2 cartridges

Started by getsome
Views: 1115 Posts: 8

2007-04-05 8:49 PM jackjack

Are all CO2 cartridges the same?

Started by ertman
Views: 4346 Posts: 8

2006-08-12 10:04 PM KathyG

CO2 cartridge pump thingamajiggers....

Started by kimj81
Views: 1097 Posts: 22

2004-09-01 12:17 AM ODogg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : March 14, 2010
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Ontherun reviews the basics of CO2 inflation systems along with a few of his favorite devices and how to use them including the XLAB NanoInflator and the SecondWind Road and MTB CO2 Inflators.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?