General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who trains in the late evening? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-28 9:08 AM

User image

Subject: Who trains in the late evening?
Long story short.. I am terrible at getting up early. I have a new baby at home, so I don't want to have an obnoxious alarm that wakes my wife, and I seem to have an auto pilot mode that I can just turn off my alarm without even thinking about it, or even remembering that I do it. I am trying to keep my training invisible so I don't compromise family time.

I am thinking about trying to get my workouts in after the baby and my wife have gone to bed. I am afraid the stimulation of exercise will keep me up late and I'll have trouble getting to sleep. I'm sure someone else is in similar circumstances that may have some insight?

Thanks!

2015-04-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: Who trains in the late evening?

I have younger kids (5 and 7) and am not a morning person, so I do most of my workouts at night, usually after 9:00 pm. 

I'm mainly competing in Sprint distance races, so most workouts are an hour or less and I usually wind down with about an hour of TV.

I know it goes against the expert's advice for getting decent sleep, but falling asleep, even after a hard workout, has never been a problem for me. 

2015-04-28 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I train 90% of the time in the early morning but would agree on the stimulation keeping you awake. I do a noon cycling class once a week and our HR director refused to have a meeting with me right after that. While I am physically tired I am mentally wired. Just too much energy for her.

While my kids are much older I train generally at 5:00 am since I am the only morning person in the house. It doesn't take away from their time because they really hate me being so awake and happy in the morning. In fact I am sure my kids don't think there is a 5:00 in the morning.

Congrats on the new baby. You will figure it out.

2015-04-28 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I swim at lunch or in the morning on the weekends but otherwise 90%+ of my runs and bike sessions on the trainer are after 8pm. I try to wrap up before 10:30 and to bed by 11. At times its harder to fall asleep but I see some people that get up at 4:30 to train and I just cant see it happening for me ever.
2015-04-28 9:27 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Denver, CO

I'm an evening exerciser.  I hate early mornings (except for seeing the sunrises) and would much rather finish my day with a workout than start it that way.  I've gotten on the bike as late as 10 p.m. and done runs that late as well.  I usually pretty tired afterwards and can generally fall asleep within an hour or so after finishing.  I only do sprints right now and do my shorter workouts on weekday evenings, then longer ones on weekends during the day works well for me. 

2015-04-28 10:02 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Extreme Veteran
I swim at lunch but do all my long runs starting at 9 or later once did a 18 mile run starting at 11. if I ride the trainer i generally do not start until 9 or 10.

Would love to work out early but thats my wifes time and 3 kids make it even harder

2015-04-28 10:21 AM

My bike sessions on the trainer are almost always at 8pm or later. They wrap up around 9ish, rinse off and refuel, and I am snoring by 10:30 no problem. Have done the same with swimming too, 8:30-9:30 sessions. Once in awhile I will be too drained from the day and bail on it, that's when I wish I was a morning exercise person. I think each body responds differently, the important thing is finding a time whether morning, noon, or night and getting it in.
2015-04-28 10:40 AM
in reply to: #5111370

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
I'm in exactly the same situation. As much as I wish I could wake up early and get in my training in the morning, years of trying don't make it so. My current pattern is to run during my lunch break and then use the trainer at night after everyone else is in bed, around 9pm. Like you, I train for sprints so my rides are 30-60 minutes.

I've never had any issues passing out as soon as I'm in bed, but then falling asleep at any time has never been hard for me. My biggest problem is actually motivation - after a long day I'm as likely to skip it and relax on the couch as actually get in the saddle and ride.
2015-04-28 12:05 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

I've never had any issues passing out as soon as I'm in bed, but then falling asleep at any time has never been hard for me. My biggest problem is actually motivation - after a long day I'm as likely to skip it and relax on the couch as actually get in the saddle and ride.

Thanks everyone for your input, sounds like it is worth a try to go this route. I will have to fight the urge to relax on the couch and sip a cold beer in the evenings, but I think I can overcome that better than my urge to hit the alarm and snooze some more, at least it will be a more conscious battle.

I did start a post last year about how to get motivated to work out early, and while I have managed a few sporadic sessions, its not the norm and I have been going into to many races under trained. It's time for a me to try a new approach. I would like to get a run in during lunch, but 30 minutes isn't enough time to change, run, change and get back to work.
2015-04-28 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I often start training about 5:30 after work. In the winter I ride out to the velodrome, do a workout there and ride home. In the summer I ride out to the weekly crit races, race and ride home, so often get home at 9:30 or 10. It works fine for me. I go to be at 11 and I'm up at 7am.

2015-04-28 1:36 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Last night after a very busy day in which I swam during my lunch hour, took my son to baseball practice after work, yardwork after that, I still had a trainer session to do.  75 minutes starting at about 9:00pm.  Had dinner about 10:30 and to bed about 11:15.  A fairly typical day.

Today I'm going to try to get a short run in during lunch.  Another little league game this evening and will try to put in an hour on the trainer when I get home.

I've always wished I could train in the morning.  I love the early morning but I don't sleep well and have never been able to get going in the morning.

2015-04-28 3:03 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Except for the weekends, all of my workouts are at night. By the time I get going in the morning and get morning chores done it is time to get to work. One thing I do try to do is eat after my workout, just don't like to workout on a full stomach.
2015-04-28 6:26 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I do my swims at night (8:30-9:30). At first when I started, I had trouble sleeping. I wasn't in shape and my body wasn't used to it. I took melatonin and it helped a little. After a few months though, I'm acclimatized to the physical activity and falling asleep is no problem.
2015-04-28 6:57 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Extreme Veteran
95% of my training is after work, or on the weekends, I just can't get it done in the mornings. My wife works overnights, doesn't get home til almost 8 am, so I gotta be there with the kids.

Also, I am not a morning person, but I can do it for a race or the occasional epic ride :p
2015-04-28 7:31 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. Training schedules can be tricky but you'll figure out one that works for you. I have to do all bike session in the morning or they won't get done. some reason the morning on the bike is my only option so i bike to work. Some days i get up a few hours earlier and bike a really long distance to work. Not my favourite thing to do but it's my only training time for long distance bikes. I swim for lunch during the week and usually try to sneak one long endurance swim in one night of the week. Then my runs at night are on a treadmill at night. It's the only schedule i can make without jeopardizing too much family time. Im also training for an ironman so depending on your goals will really depend on how much you train. Maybe not but probably. Regardless I'm sure you will find your own groove.
2015-04-28 7:46 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I have been thinking of making the same switch, I have attempted to get up early but as you said I turn off the alarm without realizing it. Next thing I know it's time to go to work and I have missed my bike/swim. I struggle with the workouts right after work as I feel this digs into family time. So I have started a few late night trainer rides and can normally get to sleep About an hour later so not too hateful. Contemplating making the switch to late night for run and swim also but not sure!

2015-04-28 8:01 PM

I have a really hard time going to sleep when I train late in the evening. It takes me a really long time to wind down to the point where I even feel like laying down and even then I can't fall asleep right away. I wish evenings would work for me because I would use it as a time to sneak in some extra training without losing any family time.

Luckily I don't have a problem waking up early though so mornings works for me. I am generally back home from my workouts before my wife and boys are even out of bed.
2015-04-28 11:24 PM
in reply to: #5111410

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
My trainer sessions are primarily in the evening past 8pm and I've done a few as late as 10pm to start. I've never had a problem falling asleep afterwards but I imagine it will depend on the person. Give it a test run and see how it works. Since I'm getting into my running season more, I'm moving towards morning runs And not riding much this season. However, I cannot agree more about the Mount Everest I climb somedays to get my session done lol good luck, I'm sure you'll find a routine in no time!
2015-04-29 2:01 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

I train whenever I can which changes each week, any time from 5am to generally no later than 9 (I am an early riser for work, or training). My favourite time to go for a swim is after 8 on a Friday... Could be out with people, or could be swimming in completely my own zone with a quiet pool
2015-04-29 7:19 AM
in reply to: engima

User image

I'm convinced it's the way to go for me. After another missed AM workout today, I'm just going to get it done tonight. We typically get our daughter to bed around 7:30, then it's dinner and prep for the next day's meals and give the dogs some attention. I figure if I keep my dinners on the light side or eat a small portion before and after my workout, I can start my workout at 9-9:30, should hopefully get me in bed somewhere around 11. Then I'll be up at 5:45-6 to get the day started.

2015-04-29 7:25 AM
in reply to: #5111658

User image

Since our third child 8 months ago I have done workouts almost exclusively in the evenings. My runs and trainer sessions during the week start after the kids go to bed. Swims are based on pool times so that is not an option. I find if I skip a work out I lay in bed awake. Guilty I guess. I am also more moody if I skip.

2015-04-29 8:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I have also gone to later time - like you, it would be great to do in the mornings but it just doesn't seem to happen.  Very important to do what will actually work. 

Two main factors: I have tri swim group two evenings a week and a toddler. She is an amazing sleeper and goes down to sleep very consistently at 8pm (whether she stays asleep is another issue) so that makes it the most consistently available time without rushing.

I do a few workouts at lunch when it works out well with my schedule - generally run or yoga (studio across the street from work)

But I do dawdle and the couch is the vortex of lost time ... i wish i could say I always screw up the motivation but i guess that is true of most people no matter when they work out. 

It does impact sleep sometimes - riding the trainer is always sweaty and even if i shower I have wet hair and that keeps me up later.  I think hydration is important because i sleep okay but will take a while or i'll wake up if i don't drink enough water. I might read a bit before actual lights out to settle down. 

I am just happy to keep getting it in. Life is busy and it makes me feel good even if i am tired.  I justify and say that i would be tired anyway because I have a little one at home and sleep schedules are not predictable. 

Edited by juniperjen 2015-04-29 8:31 AM
2015-04-29 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I do a fair bit. I usually don't get up until 6.30 or 7 so somedays I finish at 11. The year I did IM Whistler I did long runs on Friday night sometimes finishing at 1am.
2015-04-30 1:31 PM

User image

New user
Evening training for me during the week, once the kids (8 and 10 y/o) are asleep and prep for next day is done, around 9 pm.
Even on weekends, I'll do bike rides outside in the morning but keep my runs in the evening, I just love it, it's so peaceful at night.

I have no problems sleeping afterwards, especially after swimming (my pool times are 9-10 pm). If I take 10-15 minutes to stretch and relax, easy yoga, followed by a nice shower and a light snack, I'll sleep like a baby.

I was worried that this schedule would not have me perform well in races, which are always happening very early in the mornings, but adrenaline and the boost we get from friends and crowds go a long way

I am currently only training for sprints and olys, I might have to rethink or become a morning person if I ever sign up for an HIM or IM.
2015-04-30 5:26 PM
in reply to: isabella969

Oh yes-- evening after the baby goes to sleep. It was a transition, and the biggest part of it was figuring out how much dinner to eat before the workout to fuel and how much to set aside for afterwards. Like someone mentioned above, not getting the wine/beer with dinner or after work is a disappointment, but it tastes that much better after the workout.

As for getting to sleep, if your newborn (congrats!) is anything like mine... you'll fall asleep when you get the chance no matter what you've been doing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who trains in the late evening? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Late evening workouts and asthma?

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 541 Posts: 1

2013-09-20 7:46 AM Hot Runner

Morning training vs evening training? Pages: 1 2

Started by Geno19
Views: 2198 Posts: 27

2009-11-14 6:57 PM cannastar

Evening Training. Pages: 1 2

Started by Little Tom
Views: 2067 Posts: 40

2006-03-29 8:49 PM Little Tom

2 raspberries, 5 deer, 33 miles later, and 2767 calories later

Started by autumn
Views: 1048 Posts: 7

2005-02-06 9:53 AM autumn

How late is to late to peak?

Started by frint40
Views: 883 Posts: 6

2004-06-15 11:56 AM jmc1888
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
My hunger stays under control well enough throughout the day eating every couple hours but come 9:00 pm I am again craving something sweet and if I don't eat I don't sleep.

date : March 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Provide your body with a wholesome and nutritious meal and keep healthy, low-calorie evening snacks available for after dinner.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.