BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-12 1:29 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by awm007 Hi Manatees, This newbie needs a little advice. My training thus far has been focused on the 70.3 coming up in early June. My training has moved from a base phase to a build phase. It's been tough, but I've been able to keep up with it more or less. The plan basically has short workouts during the week and long rides and runs on the weekends. This week, I'm heading out of town for a conference. The conference is really a morning, noon, and night affair and it'll be tough for me to get much training in (maybe a one hour run or so). Then, next weekend I have a sprint tri and an olympic the following two weekends. Bottom line is that that's three weekends in a row where I won't be getting the long run/ride in. Here's the question. How would you train around the warmup races and travel? One school of thought is to build the races into the training (e.g., do the sprint at training pace, then afterwards get the extra time as suggested by the program). Another is that it's a race and I might as well go all out and, well, you know, race! Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
For my "warm up" race (really just race to race and have fun), a couple of weeks ago, I did the race then afterwards rode my bike 2.5 more hours. Then did long run the next day (Saturday race). Normally I'd have done a 5 hr ride, and in the end I only did 3.5 hrs total on Saturday to take into account the much higher level of effort during the 1 hr of the race. If you have a Sunday race, I'd go ahead and do the long ride on Saturday then do the race Sunday. If you think you need to get a few more miles in of running after the sprint then go ahead. For the olympic I'd just call it a day.

I think it is really important to get as many of the long sessions in as possible.  Like Sean said, there is no reason why you can't go ahead and race and then get in most of your long ride.  I've even done long runs after a race but will usually cut it back a bit and consider the overall effort for the day.

The travel might be more of a challenge to getting your weekly workload in depending on access to water and some form of cycling apparatus.  Usually when I travel the first thing I look at in my accommodations is pool and fitness center.  Ideally I can get both but if a place has a stationary bike of some type and maybe a treadmill you can get in some training.

Part of going long is to keep going continuously (or close to it) so in general you do want to keep the scheduled longer workouts together as one big thing. But also part of going long is getting used to being active and out there for a good part of the day. So splitting up and then reducing the long part like this on occasion isn't necessarily detrimental. Have to account for the stress of the day and races do tend to bring on that.

2016-04-12 6:17 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007 Hi Manatees, This newbie needs a little advice. My training thus far has been focused on the 70.3 coming up in early June. My training has moved from a base phase to a build phase. It's been tough, but I've been able to keep up with it more or less. The plan basically has short workouts during the week and long rides and runs on the weekends. This week, I'm heading out of town for a conference. The conference is really a morning, noon, and night affair and it'll be tough for me to get much training in (maybe a one hour run or so). Then, next weekend I have a sprint tri and an olympic the following two weekends. Bottom line is that that's three weekends in a row where I won't be getting the long run/ride in. Here's the question. How would you train around the warmup races and travel? One school of thought is to build the races into the training (e.g., do the sprint at training pace, then afterwards get the extra time as suggested by the program). Another is that it's a race and I might as well go all out and, well, you know, race! Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can you get a medium-long run in at the conference?  

Adam, since the Sprint is on Sunday, could you do a long ride/run on the Wednesday before and then race the sprint?  Are you staying at White Lake or driving down that morning? 

Is Beaverdam your first Oly?  I'd take Sean's suggestion about riding after the race if you can't get a mid week long ride in.  You do need the going into the HIM. 

Are you going to preview the IM Raleigh 70.3 course?

2016-04-12 6:42 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Is it possible to do a mid-week long run or ride? if the full distance isn't possible, maybe a bit shorter (like 75-80% of the time/distance) with a bit more intensity (race-pace stuff) than usual? I know personally I would prefer to race the race, and not have the thought that I "need" to ride for another few hours hanging over my head. Plus I'm not sure there's really great training value to racing a short tri, then doing essentially a long, easy cooldown run or ride when already tired, just to get in the distance, if the goal is HIM training. Seems like it would be better to do an honest race, recover for a few days, then do the long run or ride, even if it's not quite the full distance.
2016-04-12 8:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Adam, since the Sprint is on Sunday, could you do a long ride/run on the Wednesday before and then race the sprint?  Are you staying at White Lake or driving down that morning? 

Is Beaverdam your first Oly?  I'd take Sean's suggestion about riding after the race if you can't get a mid week long ride in.  You do need the going into the HIM. 

Ah Adam the joys of travelling for work (sucks a bit sometimes hey) If possible I would go with Janyne and Karen's suggestion of doing your long ride/run on a different day and just racing your races. but if this isn't possible could you maybe park a distance away and ride to and from your race?
2016-04-12 8:51 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
so as some of you may know to keep myself motivated I have set myself a challenge to "run to my home town" between now and the end of the year.
The total distance is 725km and I am tracking my progress on a map on my workout room wall. I am borrowing Mary's idea of rewarding myself along the way and I am setting it up so that each time I reach a major town I get a reward. So far this is what I have for my rewards:

Armadale (30km) - compression socks (earned 11/04/2016)
Williams (160km) - new shoes
Arthur River (200km) - hydration belt
Wagin (230km) - road ID
Dumbleyung (270km) -
Lake Grace (350km) -
Newdegate (400km) -
Lake King (465km) -
Ravensthorpe (535km) -
Esperance (725km) - Garmin Forerunner 235 or Garmin Vivoactive???

As you can see I still have some holes to fill, if any of you can think of tri or run related things that you have that you think are great then I would love to hear your suggestions, big or small.
2016-04-12 9:56 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

Ah Adam the joys of travelling for work (sucks a bit sometimes hey) If possible I would go with Janyne and Karen's suggestion of doing your long ride/run on a different day and just racing your races. but if this isn't possible could you maybe park a distance away and ride to and from your race?

On race days, I just race. The reason is you are going to have a lot of adrenaline on race day and you are going to go harder than you will with a long training ride/run. I would do a long ride on Saturday before, it does not put as much stress on the body.
As for travel and training... It always stinks. You are going to be off schedule, you will be expected to be places at times you want to/feel you should train, you will over eat and you won't sleep right. Anything you can get in, get in but don't sweat it and enjoy the conference and get the most out of it. Unless you can make a living doing this, it's still a hobby and at your age you should become as well rounded as possible. You are getting your sessions in you are going to be okay in June.

2016-04-13 4:24 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

http://rlv.zcache.co.nz/funny_manatee_mating_habits_birthday_greeting_card-r4170e3daa4524d90b6899440f477a61e_xvuat_8byvr_324.jpg

Hmmmm, I can relate to that.

2016-04-13 9:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Prompted by a query from Chris as to how my prep' for the trans' con' race is coming along, I thought I'd put a post on here for your perusal. I'll split the post up in to separate categories. Feel free to chime in with any advice.

Sleeping

Current plan is to use a bivi bag {yet to source} along with a down jacket {bought a Fjallraven one} and a gilet. If it gets too cold up in the Alps I'll have to book in to a hostel as I go.

Food

Not planning on taking any cooking equipment. Carrying a spork and a mussette to put food in as I ride. Will probably end up living off pizza, omelet, McDonalds and croissants. It's a hard life.

Navigation

Going to use a Garmin 810 as main nav' with route broken down into 120-140 km segments stored on memory card, back up memory card and cloud. Secondary nav' will either be another Garmin if I can get one cheaply, like an 800 or 705 or a smart phone. I'll also be making a list of all towns I need to pass through and the distance to each as a sheet hit the fan final back up.

Tyres/Wheels

I gone off route a little bit with this one. I was planning on switching to tubeless. I've built up a 32 hole Sun Archetype rim onto an SP-D dynamo. I've since fitted a solid 32  mm tyre to this wheel made by Tannus:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03120/TAN2_3120646c.jpg

These are slightly heavier than the normal tyre + inner tube set up, but the fact that you don't have to carry a pump, tyre levers, patches, spares etc appealed to me. There's a slight increase in rolling resistance but, from what others have said, once you're up to speed their OK.

For the rear wheel my initial plan was to put the other 32mm on the back. Unfortunately the tyre is too big for the bikes back end, with only enough clearance for 28 mm. So, I built up a rear wheel on a power tap hub with a DT Swiss RR 585 24 hole rimhttp://www.wheelbuilder.com/images/D/RR_585_black_detail-02.jpg

I haven't tried this out yet, as the Tannus 28 mm tyre only arrived today. My only gripe is that with odd spoke counts, odd tyre sizes and odd wheels it'll look and feel a bit odd.

Brakes

I have a mechanical disk brake set up on the front wheel and Ultegra rim brake on the rear. I'm not too impressed with the front brake and have a feeling I may have set it up wrong. I was going to take it to a shop to have a check but plans have changed now. I've gone and acquired a pair of Shimano Di2 hydraulic shifters and calipers new off Ebay for a steal. The reason I bought them will be explained in gearing.

Gearing

My current set up is Ultegra 11 speed Di2 with a compact 34-50 up front and a 11-32 on the back. This is as low as Shimano will let you go on a road bike. This would be more than OK on single day races with a fair amount of climbing, but when I have to cover about 200 miles with a lot of up and down, this set up is on my limit at the moment. I've looked in to other ways I can make life a bit easier on my legs to allow me to spin up the 10-20% grades with a quicker cadence rather than grind them. There is a bracket that can be added to some dropout hangers that will allow yo to go to a 40 tooth, but it doesn't work on all.  My other option was for me to use my 10 speed triple Ultegra crankset I have lying around, keeping the 30 Tooth inner and switching the middle ring to a 46. I would then set up the front derailleur to only use the inner and middle rings. This is my current plan I'm going to use so far, unless anyone can suggest anything else. The other was  fitting my full Ultegra 10 speed triple groupset instead of my Di2, but honestly, I can't see me going back to mechanical after using electric, it's so much sweeter. Therefore, I went on the hunt for some cheap Di2 shifters, that is when I came across the R875's. Only problem is, my bike has rim brakes to the rear, hmmmmm queue new bike frame :}

Bike

Original plan was to use my Ribble R872, mainly because I couldn't afford to fork out for another bike and it's the best one I have. Trouble was it's not too comfortable over longer distances. I switched out the fork which relaxed the position a bit and gave me disc brakes up front, but with all the other things going on ie Wheel size restrictions at the rear, rear brake rim only, no option for mudguards etc. Well, after getting the new shifters it was time to make a jump and get a new frame. I've had my eye on a Kinesis Gran Fondo Titanium Disc frame Unfortunately I can't stretch to the £1700.00 price for the frame .........YET

So, I managed to get hold of a Planet X London Road frame.

which has a more relaxed riding position, has bosses for panniers and mudguards, disc brake ready and will allow clearance for 40 mm tyre if ever I wanted to do a bit of off road/gravel stuff. It's only an aluminium but I'm not too worried about that. This will me my long distance/winter/gravel bike going in to the future while I wait to get the titanium gran fondo (or possible a Shand ). So, I have a bottom up bike to build should keep me busy.

Route

I've mapped out up to the 3 rd CP, which is in Italy at around the 1000 mile mark, I know have the less easier task of mapping out the next 1300-1400 miles through the Balkan states.

Power and Lighting

As said, I have a SP-D dynamo up front, linked to a Luxos IQ light with USB charging. I've ordered an Anker 10,000 Mah power bank as a back up to charge as I ride. Rear light I have an Exposure blaze (really impressed with this so far). Need to get secondary bakup lights. Probably looking at an AA battery type rear light and a usb powered helmet light as my back ups. Also bought a few meters worth of ScotchLite reflective tape to plaster my bike in.

Clothing, Hygiene and others

Plan on carrying a spare set of bib shorts, cycle top and socks to use whilst other is drying on the bike, Gore waterproof jacket, arm warmers, leg warmers down gillet, down jacket. Tooth brush/paste and wet wipes.  Factor 30 sun cream, lip salve.

Yet to do:

Need to get another 32 hole Son Archetype rim for the rear, also need to source a rear 32 hole disc hub but am struggling to find a fair priced one. Chris King does one, but at over $400, it's a bit pricey. Any ideas? Also need to source the rest of the Di2, ie front junction box,  junction box b, battery, front derailleur and all the cables.

That's as much as I can think of at the moment, plus I need to get ready for work. Any feedback/questions would be great.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2016-04-13 9:04 AM
2016-04-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

http://rlv.zcache.co.nz/funny_manatee_mating_habits_birthday_greeting_card-r4170e3daa4524d90b6899440f477a61e_xvuat_8byvr_324.jpg

I think that this may fall into the OVERSHARING category!

2016-04-13 9:13 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I had a really stellar key marathon workout on Saturday (10 mile run  followed by 6 miles at marathon pace) then got really sick Sunday and yesterday. Not sure if it was food poisoning, the flu or possibly a gallbladder issue. Just massive pain and nausea and fever. I feel much better today but the pain in my upper stomach is still present. To the point I may take another (sighhhh) day off of running. But we will see. It's always so hard making the right call of when to take a day or not when you are in the middle of training. 

Yay to the very good workout but boo to being sick and still having lingering pain.  Hope all is well, take care!

2016-04-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I thought there was no TMI in the Manatees.

2016-04-13 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Prompted by a query from Chris as to how my prep' for the trans' con' race is coming along, I thought I'd put a post on here for your perusal. I'll split the post up in to separate categories. Feel free to chime in with any advice.

Sleeping

Current plan is to use a bivi bag {yet to source} along with a down jacket {bought a Fjallraven one} and a gilet. If it gets too cold up in the Alps I'll have to book in to a hostel as I go.

Food

Not planning on taking any cooking equipment. Carrying a spork and a mussette to put food in as I ride. Will probably end up living off pizza, omelet, McDonalds and croissants. It's a hard life.

Navigation

Going to use a Garmin 810 as main nav' with route broken down into 120-140 km segments stored on memory card, back up memory card and cloud. Secondary nav' will either be another Garmin if I can get one cheaply, like an 800 or 705 or a smart phone. I'll also be making a list of all towns I need to pass through and the distance to each as a sheet hit the fan final back up.

Tyres/Wheels

I gone off route a little bit with this one. I was planning on switching to tubeless. I've built up a 32 hole Sun Archetype rim onto an SP-D dynamo. I've since fitted a solid 32  mm tyre to this wheel made by Tannus:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03120/TAN2_3120646c.jpg

These are slightly heavier than the normal tyre + inner tube set up, but the fact that you don't have to carry a pump, tyre levers, patches, spares etc appealed to me. There's a slight increase in rolling resistance but, from what others have said, once you're up to speed their OK.

For the rear wheel my initial plan was to put the other 32mm on the back. Unfortunately the tyre is too big for the bikes back end, with only enough clearance for 28 mm. So, I built up a rear wheel on a power tap hub with a DT Swiss RR 585 24 hole rimhttp://www.wheelbuilder.com/images/D/RR_585_black_detail-02.jpg

I haven't tried this out yet, as the Tannus 28 mm tyre only arrived today. My only gripe is that with odd spoke counts, odd tyre sizes and odd wheels it'll look and feel a bit odd.

Brakes

I have a mechanical disk brake set up on the front wheel and Ultegra rim brake on the rear. I'm not too impressed with the front brake and have a feeling I may have set it up wrong. I was going to take it to a shop to have a check but plans have changed now. I've gone and acquired a pair of Shimano Di2 hydraulic shifters and calipers new off Ebay for a steal. The reason I bought them will be explained in gearing.

Gearing

My current set up is Ultegra 11 speed Di2 with a compact 34-50 up front and a 11-32 on the back. This is as low as Shimano will let you go on a road bike. This would be more than OK on single day races with a fair amount of climbing, but when I have to cover about 200 miles with a lot of up and down, this set up is on my limit at the moment. I've looked in to other ways I can make life a bit easier on my legs to allow me to spin up the 10-20% grades with a quicker cadence rather than grind them. There is a bracket that can be added to some dropout hangers that will allow yo to go to a 40 tooth, but it doesn't work on all.  My other option was for me to use my 10 speed triple Ultegra crankset I have lying around, keeping the 30 Tooth inner and switching the middle ring to a 46. I would then set up the front derailleur to only use the inner and middle rings. This is my current plan I'm going to use so far, unless anyone can suggest anything else. The other was  fitting my full Ultegra 10 speed triple groupset instead of my Di2, but honestly, I can't see me going back to mechanical after using electric, it's so much sweeter. Therefore, I went on the hunt for some cheap Di2 shifters, that is when I came across the R875's. Only problem is, my bike has rim brakes to the rear, hmmmmm queue new bike frame :}

Bike

Original plan was to use my Ribble R872, mainly because I couldn't afford to fork out for another bike and it's the best one I have. Trouble was it's not too comfortable over longer distances. I switched out the fork which relaxed the position a bit and gave me disc brakes up front, but with all the other things going on ie Wheel size restrictions at the rear, rear brake rim only, no option for mudguards etc. Well, after getting the new shifters it was time to make a jump and get a new frame. I've had my eye on a Kinesis Gran Fondo Titanium Disc frame Unfortunately I can't stretch to the £1700.00 price for the frame .........YET

So, I managed to get hold of a Planet X London Road frame.

which has a more relaxed riding position, has bosses for panniers and mudguards, disc brake ready and will allow clearance for 40 mm tyre if ever I wanted to do a bit of off road/gravel stuff. It's only an aluminium but I'm not too worried about that. This will me my long distance/winter/gravel bike going in to the future while I wait to get the titanium gran fondo (or possible a Shand ). So, I have a bottom up bike to build should keep me busy.

Route

I've mapped out up to the 3 rd CP, which is in Italy at around the 1000 mile mark, I know have the less easier task of mapping out the next 1300-1400 miles through the Balkan states.

Power and Lighting

As said, I have a SP-D dynamo up front, linked to a Luxos IQ light with USB charging. I've ordered an Anker 10,000 Mah power bank as a back up to charge as I ride. Rear light I have an Exposure blaze (really impressed with this so far). Need to get secondary bakup lights. Probably looking at an AA battery type rear light and a usb powered helmet light as my back ups. Also bought a few meters worth of ScotchLite reflective tape to plaster my bike in.

Clothing, Hygiene and others

Plan on carrying a spare set of bib shorts, cycle top and socks to use whilst other is drying on the bike, Gore waterproof jacket, arm warmers, leg warmers down gillet, down jacket. Tooth brush/paste and wet wipes.  Factor 30 sun cream, lip salve.

Yet to do:

Need to get another 32 hole Son Archetype rim for the rear, also need to source a rear 32 hole disc hub but am struggling to find a fair priced one. Chris King does one, but at over $400, it's a bit pricey. Any ideas? Also need to source the rest of the Di2, ie front junction box,  junction box b, battery, front derailleur and all the cables.

That's as much as I can think of at the moment, plus I need to get ready for work. Any feedback/questions would be great.

Darren - this is ambitous of you, and I can't wait to see how it goes. The only input I have is that I have seen some stuff from Goal Zero lately that looks like it might fit in with what you are doing. Saw a guy loaded up and rolling through town with what looked like the Nomad 7 on the top of his rear pannier. It looked like it was big enough to do what you are after, without loading up the weight. Paired with a Flip 20 or some such thing and you have power to spare. Or enough to make a few phone calls with 

Edited by cdban66 2016-04-13 12:13 PM
2016-04-13 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I thought there was no TMI in the Manatees.

Agreed, I know waaaayyyy too much about certain people in the group!

2016-04-13 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

You mentioned that you aren't bringing cooking equipment, but one of these looks cool.

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove

2016-04-13 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

{lots of good stuff deleted to keep this from getting way to long, scroll up as needed ;-) }

What an adventure!

How long do you expect to be on the road?  (I may have follow up questions from here!)

For the tubeless, bringing a spare tire?

2016-04-13 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
On Monday I swam 1700 yards straight, and then I did it again today. This was one part getting the "can I do the distance nonstop?" monkey off my back, one part "I am too lazy to think of a workout."
It went well. That is all.

Edited by Atlantia 2016-04-13 2:36 PM

2016-04-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Atlantia

On Monday I swam 1700 yards straight, and then I did it again today. This was one part getting the "can I do the distance nonstop?" monkey off my back, one part "I am too lazy to think of a workout."

That's awesome!! Congrats!!
2016-04-13 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Great Job Laura
2016-04-13 8:28 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Great Job!!
2016-04-13 8:30 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

That might be the reason why they got close to being extinct.
2016-04-13 8:39 PM

User image

Expert

Well done!

2016-04-13 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Im not going to quote the whole thing but will at my 2cents based primarily on multiday offroad motorcycle and whitewater kayak trips.

Sleeping

Bivys are great as they are small, light and have no set up. Just be sure you arent claustrophobic- you might want to opt for one with a small frame that gets it off your face. I would also recommend a small silnylon tarp to go over the bivy. Sleeping in a bivy in the pouring rain with each drop pelting your body makes for a sleepless night. For a sleeping pad I would recommend a good full coverage one. The ultralite short skeleton style ones are nice and light but will not be as comfortable (despite what they say) and you will likely need and appreciate a good night sleep after the mileage you are putting in. Be sure to bring the patch kit. Sleeping bag - Go with down - everyone will tell you that down is terrible if it does get wet but those are the people that have never slept in a wet synthetic bag, its just as bad! Synthetic is easier to dry but the key is to just not get it wet. Down will pack down smaller in a compression bag.

Tires.

Tubeless is great, fill it with stans notubes goop and you should be good to go. With that said I would still carry a CO2, levers and tube just incase.even if the ride offers sag support you could end up at the side of the road waiting for a long time. I would also go with a slightly larger tire at a lower pressure to make the ride a little more comfortable.

Gears

I would look at your gear inches. I went from a triple up front to a double on the CX and with a slightly smaller chain ring (34 from a 36) have almost the same low gearing. Given your distances, hills and the fact that you are carrying gear I would go as low as you can go but I know that you know that.

brakes

I really like my BB7's they are easy to adjust and the breaking and modulation is great. Mechnanicals are generally pretty good so if something doesnt feel right I would try adjusting them again or bring it in. Going to hydro really is set it and forget it so if you can go with those Di2 levers I would do that unless it limits you in your gearing selection.

Bike

That TI looks great but I am sure the aluminum will work just fine as well. I would add a carbon fork and seat post. Forget about carbon bars - if you happen to drop the loaded bike that could be the end of those carbon bars.

Panniers - I would look for the roll top dry bag style ones - they really are 100% waterproof

Edited by DaveL 2016-04-13 10:36 PM
2016-04-13 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Awesome - it really is a huge boost knowing that you can go the distance.
2016-04-14 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congratulations! With continuous swimming, a lot of it is mental-Despite what people say about intervals being the best way of training-I think it IS a good idea to do a continuous swim once in a while, just to feel confident and develop a good sense of pacing. Plus, I'll admit it, I really enjoy long, continuous swims in a way that I don't enjoy a typical swim workout. I guess it's like long, slow distance in running, which comes pretty naturally to me (just don't ask me to speed up!) except it's swimming!
2016-04-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by cdban66

You mentioned that you aren't bringing cooking equipment, but one of these looks cool.

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove

I liked the look of the solar panel, and I think it would be useful in a touring capacity. I won't be using racks on the race. Instead, I'll be using a Wildcat saddlebag on the back.

As for the cooking kit, I would lie if I say I'm not concerned about the weight, but I'm more concerned with the time it takes to cook, get ingredients etc. That time is better spent riding or sleeping. Plus, that stove is about a kilo in weight    I'm hoping to keep bike and kit around 17 kgs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.