BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by JBacarella

Jim, I feel your pain, we went through a similar experience a few years back with Ann's mom. She ended up in a hospital in Tampa (90 mins away) after a brain bleed and was there for over a month. Lots of driving, hospital sleeping, hotel stays and the general up-in-the-airedness that you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. It is tough, but you are tougher my friend. Keep on keeping on and hopefully it all goes well and dad is back home soon. How lucky that you had recently moved him into your home! He is lucky to have you.

Thanks,we realized that we moved him in at a good time. He has been my Mom's primary caregiver for the past several years and all of the focus has been on her needs, that we didn't really pay attention to what was going on with him, and he would never admit there was a problem. Even as he and I are waiting to see the first doctor and when he was being taken to the ER, he kept insisting that he was fine and nothing was wrong with him. He has a good night and they we able to get a lot of the fluid out of him, but he has a long way to go for recovery. Outpatient cardiac rehab isn't easily available for him here, but fortunately he should be able to do it at my wife's nursing home, where my mom is. It is just a matter of getting it under control first.

Dude, we are singing the same song. Ann's mom took care of her 2nd husband after his stroke for a few years as he deteriorated and finally (mercifully) passed away. After that she never said boo about her health to anyone. Even after all of that a few years ago, she struggles to let us know when her back is hurting. It is obvious to us, but she won't say a thing.

Parent care is an interesting part of life. 

I don't know who struggles with the role reversal more, us or them. It's hard to just take control and just say this is what you are doing and I don't care if you don't like it. My Grandfather had a saying that you are twice a child and once a man. WOW do I really understand what he meant now.

2016-07-18 1:36 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jim, I feel your pain, we went through a similar experience a few years back with Ann's mom. She ended up in a hospital in Tampa (90 mins away) after a brain bleed and was there for over a month. Lots of driving, hospital sleeping, hotel stays and the general up-in-the-airedness that you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. It is tough, but you are tougher my friend. Keep on keeping on and hopefully it all goes well and dad is back home soon. How lucky that you had recently moved him into your home! He is lucky to have you.

Thanks,we realized that we moved him in at a good time. He has been my Mom's primary caregiver for the past several years and all of the focus has been on her needs, that we didn't really pay attention to what was going on with him, and he would never admit there was a problem. Even as he and I are waiting to see the first doctor and when he was being taken to the ER, he kept insisting that he was fine and nothing was wrong with him. He has a good night and they we able to get a lot of the fluid out of him, but he has a long way to go for recovery. Outpatient cardiac rehab isn't easily available for him here, but fortunately he should be able to do it at my wife's nursing home, where my mom is. It is just a matter of getting it under control first.

Dude, we are singing the same song. Ann's mom took care of her 2nd husband after his stroke for a few years as he deteriorated and finally (mercifully) passed away. After that she never said boo about her health to anyone. Even after all of that a few years ago, she struggles to let us know when her back is hurting. It is obvious to us, but she won't say a thing.

Parent care is an interesting part of life. 

I don't know who struggles with the role reversal more, us or them. It's hard to just take control and just say this is what you are doing and I don't care if you don't like it. My Grandfather had a saying that you are twice a child and once a man. WOW do I really understand what he meant now.

Grandpa knew a thing or two. 

Ours is that you start life in diapers and unable to feed yourself. Many of us end up that way.

2016-07-18 2:10 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Belated birthday wishes to Darren.

Jim sorry to hear about your dad's health issues.  I'm glad that you have him with you and you caught it early.  

Markus sorry to hear about your ankle.  I was walking my moms dog the other day and saw an adult on a trampoline.  I thought to myself "I can see my bad knee giving out already!".  Hope it's nothing more than a sprain and you are back on your feet quickly.

I have spent the past week doing mostly nothing in the way of training.  I ran a couple of times, considered biking once but decided I didn't feel like it.  It has been nice.  I am going to try some fitness classes that I never have time for this week to get back to some regular movement.  

I did realize on one of my runs that I enjoy 'purpose' runs: on Saturday I had to take transit to work cause one of our bridges was closed for the weekend for repairs.  I had agreed to let my mom's dog out after work though.  So I ran from work to my moms.  I have done stuff like that before, run to the grocery store or other errands.  I think I like the "two birds with one stone" aspect of it. 

I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

2016-07-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Jim sorry to hear about your dad's health issues.  I'm glad that you have him with you and you caught it early.  

Markus sorry to hear about your ankle.  I was walking my moms dog the other day and saw an adult on a trampoline.  I thought to myself "I can see my bad knee giving out already!".  Hope it's nothing more than a sprain and you are back on your feet quickly.

I have spent the past week doing mostly nothing in the way of training.  I ran a couple of times, considered biking once but decided I didn't feel like it.  It has been nice.  I am going to try some fitness classes that I never have time for this week to get back to some regular movement.  

I did realize on one of my runs that I enjoy 'purpose' runs: on Saturday I had to take transit to work cause one of our bridges was closed for the weekend for repairs.  I had agreed to let my mom's dog out after work though.  So I ran from work to my moms.  I have done stuff like that before, run to the grocery store or other errands.  I think I like the "two birds with one stone" aspect of it. 

I think I would enjoy 'purpose' rides more than runs, if I had the opportunity for either. The only place I could ride to, really is the grocery store and unless I'm only getting a few things that wouldn't work really.  I did ride to the dr once for a blood test because I really needed to make the appointment and someone had taken my car

2016-07-18 2:59 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Darren I loved the "press-up" video with your little helper. I could listen to him count all day long. What a cutie!!!!!!!

2016-07-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by DaveL
Originally posted by JBacarella Rough weekend. Started out Friday night when my Dad was having some issues with coughing and wheezing, his feet and legs are swollen and he could not eat. I took him into the walk in clinic Saturday morning, the PA sent us to the hospital ER. After an X-Ray and some blood tests, the ER doc had him admitted into another hospital in their network, because of congestive heart failure. The other hospital is 1 1/2 hours away, I got really late, so we decided to spend the night. There was a Jehovah's Witness Convention and there was not a hotel one line within an hour. My wife called Holiday Inn and the found a hotel room 20 minutes away. We got to the hotel, to find that Holiday Inn double booked the room. We called Holiday Inn and they could not find another room within an hour, so they gave us enough points to comp a room on another night or if we found something comparable, they would pay for it. We kept looking online, while I started to drive hospital, thinking we would either sleep in the hospital or in my truck (the hospital is in a sketchy neighborhood, actually one of the 10 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country), when a room at a Hampton Inn 5 minutes away came open, someone cancelled at the last minute. We booked the room, called to check it was for real, and Holiday Inn paid for it. I spent today with my Dad and meeting with his medical team for his course of treatment. Dad will be in the hospital for the next 2-3 more days, so I will be driving down to be with him after work the rest of this week. He is doing better, the fluid is being reduced and he is feeling better, although if you asked him Saturday morning, nothing was wrong with him and he didn't need to see a doctor. I am so thankful he is living with us now. If he was still living at his home, we would not have caught the problem.
Sounds like a tough situation and I am sure you would have rather have been there for your dad than running around trying to find a hotel. The important thing is that you got him the help he needed. I hope everything works out well for him.

I am glad you were there for your Dad! I hope all goes well for all of you.

2016-07-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master

Rant on:

I get really frustrated at the hierarchy/bureaucracy BS that is in place at my place of employment.  Despite the fact that I create most of the content on our online learning platform, because I am not Faculty/The Instructor, I cannot have full access to create and delete.  Ummmmm, that would be fine except the Faculty/The Instructor take the entire summer off while I am here trying to improve labs/assignments/online platforms for our students but can't do so as well as I would like.  I am currently taking an online course that is so poorly organized/written I can't believe it, so I know the frustration as a student.  

/rant

2016-07-18 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Rant on:

I get really frustrated at the hierarchy/bureaucracy BS that is in place at my place of employment.  Despite the fact that I create most of the content on our online learning platform, because I am not Faculty/The Instructor, I cannot have full access to create and delete.  Ummmmm, that would be fine except the Faculty/The Instructor take the entire summer off while I am here trying to improve labs/assignments/online platforms for our students but can't do so as well as I would like.  I am currently taking an online course that is so poorly organized/written I can't believe it, so I know the frustration as a student.  

/rant

I'm frustrated at work today too. I think we should all take the rest of the summer off. I am looking at the picture of DS2 in a kayak on my computer screen and wishing I was still having fun on that island.

2016-07-18 5:46 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Rant on:

/rant

I'm frustrated at work today too. I think we should all take the rest of the summer off. I am looking at the picture of DS2 in a kayak on my computer screen and wishing I was still having fun on that island.

Don't talk to me about Faculty and summer holidays, it drives me insane.

Of course here that also includes the Christmas/New Year break. Most of them disappear around the middle of December and come back at the end of January complaining that they have to do training the week before school starts and that they shouldn't have to and how unfair it is. But what really gets me angry is when they go on about their overseas holidays and their wonderful summer and then say "so how was your holiday?"

I normally glare at them and say well I had Christmas and New Years off other than that I was working so that you got paid while you were on holidays and could come back and start your year with the new teachers you needed and a budget to run your classroom and first aid training sorted for you and the school buses running and...

There are a few that actually now ask if I got lots done while they weren't around to annoy me but not many.

So I will stand on your soap box with you
2016-07-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK

Rant on:

/rant

Of course here that also includes the Christmas/New Year break. Most of them disappear around the middle of December and come back at the end of January complaining that they have to do training the week before school starts and that they shouldn't have to and how unfair it is. But what really gets me angry is when they go on about their overseas holidays and their wonderful summer and then say "so how was your holiday?"

I normally glare at them and say well I had Christmas and New Years off other than that I was working so that you got paid while you were on holidays and could come back and start your year with the new teachers you needed and a budget to run your classroom and first aid training sorted for you and the school buses running and...

There are a few that actually now ask if I got lots done while they weren't around to annoy me but not many.

Wait! Your teachers get paid while they aren't working? We only get paid for the days we work. The way our taxes are set up here, they prorate our paychecks over 12 months, but we only get paid for days worked. We're on a 200 day contract so we get paid for 200 days. Any classes we take or work we do over the summer is unpaid. I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering how other education systems work.
2016-07-18 8:32 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Our faculty get something like 8 weeks paid vacation. I think I am up to 4.5 after 8yrs. But they also get paid CE time (I don't). Which is really stupid because RVTs need as much CE (we needed more until a few years ago) as DVMs.

2016-07-18 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Kristen it is shocking that you don't have full access to everything. I am on a local school board and we moved to a one to one school last year. Our IT guy who was in charge of the transition has full access to everything.

As for pay I think it is standard here for teachers is to be paid for days worked and the teacher has the choice of either prorating it over the contract year or paid over the school year. If we require CE, then they get paid for it. I don't recall how many personal, sick and bereavement days they get. We don't pay for classes they take for advanced degrees, but once they obtain the degree they are placed on a higher level for steps, which cap after 13 years and a doctorate excluding COLA increases.

Our IT people are different, they are year round employees, like the superintendent's support staff, maintenance, and the superintendent. I think they all get 4 weeks of vacation, spring and Christmas breaks. We do pay the IT people for CE and we pay for the CE, if approved by the Superintendent.

Our administrator's and their staff get July off, except for board meetings.

Now the complaint from administration. We had a principal (he was leaving the system, not really by choice) and two counselors tell our Superintendent two hours before they left for the Summer that the Fall schedule was not set. They had 250 scheduling errors in a high school with 425 kids.
2016-07-19 10:26 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Atlantia Jim - so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm thinking of you and your family. (((HUGS)))

x2 Definitely a tough time. Also sorry about the trouble getting a hotel! Not really what you needed at that time! 

2016-07-19 10:31 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Manatees - seems things are humming along as always. 

We had a nice week off last week. My DH did Musselman triathlon and we had a nice long weekend away in NY state. Funny how I checked the weather really consistently leading up to leaving but then the race day turned out grey, dizzly and cooler than any other day and do you think i brought any warm clothes? No, i did not. do you think Wal-mart had any sweaters? No they did not. Anyway, i found a button down shirt to wear over my summer gear to spectate. My little one loved the state park where the race was held. A playground right by the transition zone and a splash pad that opened at 11. She did not care at all that it was colder out. There was no keeping her out of there! 

We came home for a two days and did some of our adulting - looking at windows and floors for the reno and dealing with the banks for the mortgage part of it. So we were glad to go again - we went to Long Point on Lake Erie for a couple of days of tent camping. It was fun. I haven't truly been camping in .... well, i don't think i could say. I've done cottages and cabins but no true camping. We splashed around in the lake and had a grand old time. I can see more camping in our future. So no we're back to the grind. It was glorious to be mostly out of touch for the week. 

So not much training for me but good family and catch up time.

2016-07-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Sounds like an awesome trip. I love camping although like probably everyone on here, I don't get to do it nearly as much as I'd like. I definitely plan on teaching my son about the outdoors and what life away from wifi/cell phones is like when he gets older.

For those of you that have taken private swim lessons, can you tell me what you think the going rate is? I really want to improve my swim and I'm confident a few lessons will help but I'm seeing some expensive quotes. Also, would you recommend 1 hour or can you get enough out of 30 mins?
2016-07-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Sounds like an awesome trip. I love camping although like probably everyone on here, I don't get to do it nearly as much as I'd like. I definitely plan on teaching my son about the outdoors and what life away from wifi/cell phones is like when he gets older.

For those of you that have taken private swim lessons, can you tell me what you think the going rate is? I really want to improve my swim and I'm confident a few lessons will help but I'm seeing some expensive quotes. Also, would you recommend 1 hour or can you get enough out of 30 mins?

I think I paid $50 for 1/2 hour when I as learning to swim back in 2012. Honestly it didn't help. The only think that helped me was recording videos of myself.

2016-07-19 4:12 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Sounds like an awesome trip. I love camping although like probably everyone on here, I don't get to do it nearly as much as I'd like. I definitely plan on teaching my son about the outdoors and what life away from wifi/cell phones is like when he gets older. For those of you that have taken private swim lessons, can you tell me what you think the going rate is? I really want to improve my swim and I'm confident a few lessons will help but I'm seeing some expensive quotes. Also, would you recommend 1 hour or can you get enough out of 30 mins?

i think I paid $75 for an hour . I found it very helpful.  up until this year I had gone to a masters swim coach for about 4-5 years and in the one hour session I learned more about my stroke then in all those years. So, I found it worth the $$  I need to take another session to work on another aspect of my stroke and then hopefully that will be it and I will be swimming super fast from that point on 

2016-07-19 5:58 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by StaceyK

Rant on:

/rant

Wait! Your teachers get paid while they aren't working? We only get paid for the days we work. The way our taxes are set up here, they prorate our paychecks over 12 months, but we only get paid for days worked. We're on a 200 day contract so we get paid for 200 days. Any classes we take or work we do over the summer is unpaid. I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering how other education systems work.
Yep they get paid for 52 weeks of the yearas long as they are not on a short fixed term contract. Most Australian's have it pretty good when it comes to leave entitlements in general employees are entitled to:
4 weeks of paid vacation a year;
During this 4 weeks a lot of employees also get an additional 17.5% leave loading included in their pay;
Between 10 and 13 days of paid sick or carers leave a year;
2-3 days paid bereavement leave on the death of a immediate family or household member; and
8.67 to 13 weeks of paid long service leave on the completion of 10 years of continuous service
Oh and the minimum wage for anyone over 21 that works a 38 hour week is around $650.

So our teachers are deemed to take their 4 weeks of annual leave between the end of one school year and the start of the next and they are also entitled to "school term breaks without loss of pay". This is a really grey area which means they are expected to do their programming and planning and stuff like that during this time but you better not actually schedule them to be required to attend anything during this time. I think we are allowed to require them to work 205 days each year. But they get paid for 52 weeks. Oh and a new grad teacher will earn around $55,000 and one with 10 years plus experience around $90,000-$100,000 depending on what leadership roles they might have.

All of this is great as an employee but it makes for a very high cost of employment which is part of the reason that we no longer manufacture anything much in our country because the labour cost involved is way too high and it is far cheaper to import everything. But the cost of living in Australia is very very high. The average house price is around $500,000 and you can pretty much double the cost of anything that you buy in the USA and that is what it will cost here.
2016-07-19 9:01 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Our faculty get something like 8 weeks paid vacation. I think I am up to 4.5 after 8yrs. But they also get paid CE time (I don't). Which is really stupid because RVTs need as much CE (we needed more until a few years ago) as DVMs.

ummm, this is awkward, but college professor here. I can't stick up for the various faculty out there at all of your universities, but at least in my department, we have many faculty that work extremely hard. It's a bit like a law firm model where you work 50-70 hours/week for a few years before tenure. My own experience is that even when we aren't around (say, in summer), we are typically plugging away somewhere. The work never stops, you are never off, and your inbox is forever full. Also, at my university, faculty don't get any formal vacation. Before tenure, weekends for me were just quiet days in the office to get more done while everyone else was away. Pre-tenure, taking the summer off would be career suicide - those 5-7 years in grad school would be all for naught.
2016-07-20 12:59 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I had hoped I would never have to write this message but it's time.  Most of you know I have been sick.  If fact, I was very ill seven years ago and was blessed enough to train and do so many races while in remission.  Many of you shared my adventures with me as I got to share in yours.  A huge part of the life I love which I have written about in the past has been your friendship and camaraderie.  After being on the site for years, I was so thrilled and still am to be a manatee.

So, I was informed recently that this disease will take my life soon.  I guess this is good bye and my chance to tell you all how much you mean to me.  It would be easy for me to ramble on a bit I think it best to keep it short and sweet.  I wish you all the best in all your journeys. 

2016-07-20 1:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by popsracer

I had hoped I would never have to write this message but it's time.  Most of you know I have been sick.  If fact, I was very ill seven years ago and was blessed enough to train and do so many races while in remission.  Many of you shared my adventures with me as I got to share in yours.  A huge part of the life I love which I have written about in the past has been your friendship and camaraderie.  After being on the site for years, I was so thrilled and still am to be a manatee.

So, I was informed recently that this disease will take my life soon.  I guess this is good bye and my chance to tell you all how much you mean to me.  It would be easy for me to ramble on a bit I think it best to keep it short and sweet.  I wish you all the best in all your journeys. 

:'( I am so sorry Steve. I am so grateful to have had the chance to get to know you a little bit. Your attitude has always been so great and I have learned a little about how to face adversity from you. Thank you for being a great dad to your boy that he will grow up to be a great man too. Bless you.

Edited by IronOx 2016-07-20 1:06 AM

2016-07-20 4:51 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

Steve, I am so sorry to read this. I knew you were fighting a tough battle, but hoped that you be able to conquer it again. It's been a pleasure getting to know you through this amazing manatee group.  Your attitude has been amazing! I wish peace and comfort for you and your family.

2016-07-20 5:11 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Yes, purpose runs! I'll run down to the ATM sometimes for a "cash" run.
2016-07-20 5:13 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I just recently joined the Manatees, so you don't know me, but I'm so sorry to read your goodbye post. Peace to you and your family.
Anne
2016-07-20 7:30 AM

Master
Northern IL

Steve, really sorry to hear.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.