BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-01 1:28 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Hello and welcome back Lisa, Karen, Stacey, Randee, Anne, Jen, Judi, Melanie, Yanti, Kirsten, TJ, and Janyne. We haven't been told yet when we will be going live, but we have indeed been archived elsewhere. So, no email notifications as of yet.  If I had to guess, we would probably be going live late in the game, since we already have a dozen plus members.

Happy New Year to all, I hope that you had an enjoyable celebration, no matter what you did or where you did it.

2017-01-01 7:20 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
NAME: Dave

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: https://www.facebook.com/dlarocque121

STORY: My first year of tris included my first and only 70.3 and I sort of gravitated towards off road after that. I have done a number of Xterra races, trail running series and last year did my first 50km trail run and worked up to a 100mile gravel bike race. I also snowboard in the winter and whitewater kayak in the spring/summer.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 17 years, I have a 14 year old who did his first tri last summer and a 11year old book worm. PETS - This seems to be a huge focus of the manatees and I am happy to report that our new house (move in Feb) has a pond with Koi. No cats or dogs due to allergies but fish will have to do/

CURRENT TRAINING: slacked off HUGE after my 50k run in Oct but am picking up on the biking again.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: This year will likely mirror my last year but a new job and moving are likely to make things a little more difficult

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: have fun stay fit.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I try to help where I can.
2017-01-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi all! I'd love to come back into the fold in 2017 if I may. I got so much from this club in 2016 (my first year).

NAME: Adam

STORY: 42yo. Ran shorter distances in high school (a long time ago) then did mostly just gym workouts for years. I discovered triathlon summer of 2015 and worked up to a 70.3 in 2016. Last July I started a new job and new relationship, both of which cut drastically into my training time. I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things in 2017. Also trying to bring the new gf around to triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced with 12/15 year-old kids. Live-in girlfriend for a few months now.

CURRENT TRAINING: Minimal. Mostly offseason weight training with some recreational biking and running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Need to get some on the books, but likely a couple of sprints and maybe an oly or two.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Have fun, get back to some regular training.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm not on the board every day, but I try to be supportive when I'm online!
2017-01-01 9:28 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by jmkizer

I posted this in our old thread before I realized that it had been archived.  Unfortunately, the new thread isn't live yet either so no email notifications for us!

---

I hope that everyone had a pleasant New Year's Eve.  Kevin and I did the usual thing -- stayed home, had a nice dinner, put jammies on and tried to make it to midnight.  :-)

This morning, Zoe went on her first "officlal" run.  We done some running before but she hasn't done a workout with me before.  She did pretty well -- except for squirrel sitings.  Well, she did steal someone's newspaper but I put it back.

So excited for Zoe to be ready to run. I am so thankful for being out in the trail with Aspen. I love that Zoe was her usual mischievous self
2017-01-02 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

NAME: Sue, Socks, Doc Socks, Doc Sue

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook Susan M. Ott

STORY: Sports trained orthopedic surgeon ( I am happy to answer medical questions but keep in mind I am a glorified carpenter)  100% of my tri training is here on BT and I have been here a LONG TIME.  Lots o races.  Collegiate gymnast and field hockey player 1000 years ago.  Dreadful runner but I can hold my own on the swim and bike

FAMILY STATUS: married 2 step kids 5 cats (don't judge they are a blended family)

CURRENT TRAINING: IMFL 2017 is the goal.  Getting over multiple knee surgeries so still doing a lot of PT

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMFL 2017 is the only thing right now although I did do a 5K NYE......longest run I like forever

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I miss the old social days of BT.  I miss chat.  I miss TAN.  I miss the comraderie.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am old and slow but smart and I have been doing this a long time.

2017-01-02 8:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I posted this in our old thread before I realized that it had been archived.  Unfortunately, the new thread isn't live yet either so no email notifications for us!

---

I hope that everyone had a pleasant New Year's Eve.  Kevin and I did the usual thing -- stayed home, had a nice dinner, put jammies on and tried to make it to midnight.  :-)

This morning, Zoe went on her first "officlal" run.  We done some running before but she hasn't done a workout with me before.  She did pretty well -- except for squirrel sitings.  Well, she did steal someone's newspaper but I put it back.

So excited for Zoe to be ready to run. I am so thankful for being out in the trail with Aspen. I love that Zoe was her usual mischievous self

That's a big milestone for Zoe!  I love that you will be running with her, that's something I miss doing with old man Gunnar!

I was flying on NYE, so I kind of had to celebrations - a quick one on the plane when it was midnight in Copenhagen and then another one in Ft. Lauderdale when the family in the house behind us got even louder with their celebration! I was trying to miss being awake, but I guess they had other ideas

2017-01-02 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

NAME: amd723 - Ann-Marie - Hands

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm on Facebook , though I don't post much and have a twitter account that I never use. 

STORY: I live in Orlando where I am an attorney for a law enforcement agency.  I am a life long athlete, but only started to like running in 2008 when I signed up for my first marathon -Disney 2009.  Now I love running though my preferred distance is the HM. I did my first triathlon in 2010 and loved it immediately. I've done 3 HIM and lots of shorter distance ones.  Even though i grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and am comfortable in any type of water and water condition, real swimming hates me!  .  

Family Status: Single, but I have Gunnar, the super sweet german shepherd.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have a lovely case of hamstring tendonapothy and I am on running lock down for a month - and am keeping my fingers crossed it won't be longer.  I can swim though and hope to be able to bike soon as well.  I signed up for IM Louisville - my first IM, so I really need to be able to start running and biking again! Plus, inactivity is driving me crazy and causing me weight gain!!

2017 RACES/EVENTS:

Moccasin 10 mile

Zion HM

IM Louisville

Plus lots of others I've yet to sign up for yet.

GOALS
Goals -- get this stupid hamstring injured! Improve the swim - I am signed up for a clinic later in January, enjoy the IM training and most of all, stay injury free!! The last one is a big one. I am very bad at recognizing when to back off and let things heal and do not have a consistent approach to yoga and PT which help me avoid injuries! 

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I am pretty good at supporting my fellow manatees and try to contribute to the discussions.  I've been a manatee a long time now and learn something each session.

2017-01-02 8:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Good to see some familiar faces and I love re-reading bios - there always seems to be something new (or forgotten) in them that is interesting.

Janyne - How fun that Zoe is officially learning to be your running pal!  Just watch out for those meddlesome squirrels.

Kirsten/Chris - I had to laugh last night when I was looking at Instagram.  Kirsten's picture of the big snow pile, dark, cold, etc. was what I saw when I opened the app. Right below her snowy post was Chris' sunny, green, warm post of the lovely trail he ran on in the morning!  I had a good chuckle and had to show my husband the contrast in the environments of two of the manatees!

2017-01-02 4:44 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

Good to see some familiar faces and I love re-reading bios - there always seems to be something new (or forgotten) in them that is interesting.

Janyne - How fun that Zoe is officially learning to be your running pal!  Just watch out for those meddlesome squirrels.

Kirsten/Chris - I had to laugh last night when I was looking at Instagram.  Kirsten's picture of the big snow pile, dark, cold, etc. was what I saw when I opened the app. Right below her snowy post was Chris' sunny, green, warm post of the lovely trail he ran on in the morning!  I had a good chuckle and had to show my husband the contrast in the environments of two of the manatees!

Heh.  Yeah, and this amount of snow is soooo unusual for us.  Like once every 10 years.  Usually we get some, then it turns to rain and is gone.  We now have a stretch of cold weather for the next week, so it will be sticking around!  I don't mind it for sure, it happens so rarely, I enjoy it.  I don't even really mind the shoveling.  Good exercise!

2017-01-02 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back Dave and Adam! Welcome Sue!  I think that many of us know you from BT and it's good to have you on board as a Manatee!

2017-01-02 5:47 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Socks

NAME: Sue, Socks, Doc Socks, Doc Sue

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook Susan M. Ott

STORY: Sports trained orthopedic surgeon ( I am happy to answer medical questions but keep in mind I am a glorified carpenter)  100% of my tri training is here on BT and I have been here a LONG TIME.  Lots o races.  Collegiate gymnast and field hockey player 1000 years ago.  Dreadful runner but I can hold my own on the swim and bike

FAMILY STATUS: married 2 step kids 5 cats (don't judge they are a blended family)

CURRENT TRAINING: IMFL 2017 is the goal.  Getting over multiple knee surgeries so still doing a lot of PT

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMFL 2017 is the only thing right now although I did do a 5K NYE......longest run I like forever

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I miss the old social days of BT.  I miss chat.  I miss TAN.  I miss the comraderie.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am old and slow but smart and I have been doing this a long time.

I didn't know that you were a college gymnast!

2017-01-02 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello all and welcome to Sue, Adam, Hands, and Dave.  We are now live, so if anyone wants to turn on email notifications, now is the time.

2017-01-02 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by StaceyK Kristen over in the old thread you asked about the rewards system that someone had. I believe it was Mary S that initially set it up to reward herself for doing her strength work. She doesn't drop into the manatees very often anymore because of the vision issues from her concussion but she generally still posts in her training log each day so if you send her a message or and inspire I am sure she will answer you. Laffinrock is her user name.

I was thinking that it was from a JoGo challenge.  Mary S makes more sense though.

Judi thought it was her, and I kinda did too.  Couldn't find anything on her blog though.  I distinctly remember that there were points for a windy bike or running in the rain.  It is kind funny/stoopid....I am being lazy and not wanting to make up my own points system to keep myself motivated!!! LOL. 

Happy New Year all.  We went to our traditional NYE movie.  The weather here was awesome/awful.  Big dump of snow all day.  Roads were a bit hairy driving to the movie, not bad back.  I shoveled 3x yesterday, I think we got about 5 inches.  Unusual for around here!  My snow pile is as high as the weeping birch branches hang down....  Anyway, at midnight walked down to our neighbors as he always sets off fireworks.  Hang out for 10-15 min, then head in to bed.  We aren't real big partiers!

I don't think that Mary S's had points for weather or anything like that just rewards for when she did so many sessions, or ran certain distances and things like that.
2017-01-02 7:30 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
NAME: Sean aka Jetson

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: seanmichael2108 on instagram, haven't posted much lately

STORY: high school basketball player. got fat in my 20s. lost weight when my first was born, lifting weights and playing basketball. volunteered through my church at a local triathlon in late 2014. loved what I saw, it got my competitive juices flowing and I went on a training run the next day. haven't gotten bored with it yet.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to JoDee (who's now a runner), father to Carson (6) and Cooper (4) and dog father to Jet (10).

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently focusing my my run with barryp type of training. got my mileage up over 50 mpw now. Bike training I use trainerroad. swim training I swim with a masters team.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Galveston 70.3, Texas State Time Trial champs, hopefully a bunch of running races, and smaller local tris throughout the year. Also signed up for the Leadville 100 mtb lottery so may be doing that late summer. Otherwise I'll be running my legs off all year trying to get more competitive (run is my big weakness)

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My goal is to podium at an Ironman branded 70.3. Probably won't happen this year, but I'll keep working at it.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I do dumb stuff like sign up for Leadville?

2017-01-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Anyone have experience (hearsay is fine) on IMMD?
2017-01-02 8:15 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Cypress, Texas
I snooze for a couple of days and there's already two full pages to catch up on.

NAME: Markus/Rossi/JohnTheCat

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/markus.rossmeisl), Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/johnthecat11/). I have a Twitter account that I really don't use.

STORY: 46 years old. Born in Germany, moved to the Houston area. Was a competitive gymnast in my youth, followed by some martial arts and ice and inline skating. Kind of got a little lazy (too busy with work as well) in my late 30's and early 40's. In January of 2013 I got hit with Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) that caused nerve damage to my peripheral nerves, mainly in my legs and all nerves that have to do with your autonomous system. Took about a dozen Doctors and 8 months to get a diagnosis as my case didn't follow a typical progression for GBS which in bad cases can lead to temporary paralysis. I had wanted to do a Triathlon before I came down with GBS just never gotten around with the busy life and kids etc., so after somewhat getting back to normal I decided to finally do one and use it as a platform to raise awareness for GBS as well. I completed my first Tri in 2015 and have done a total of 7 so far. All Sprints. Running is still a pain with the nerve damage in the legs and during the summer I also have to pay attention as my heat regulation isn't working all that great either because of the GBS.

FAMILY STATUS: Married. 4 kids. Two older girls out of the house and a 5 year old boy and 4 year old girl at home as well as a dog and a cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: Been training 4 to 5 times a week up until December 5th. Went on a trip to Germany to check on my Mom and have been sick ever since. (GI stuff, Dry heaving, extremely low heart rate, Congestion, Cough...just a slew of things with no answers from the docs.) Still trying to get my first workout in tomorrow if all goes well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: 3 or 4 sprints. Maybe an Olympic later in the year.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Continue beating my sickness and don't let the residues hold me back

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I loved the group and the people last year even though I kind of fell off the wagon later in the year.

2017-01-02 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner Anyone have experience (hearsay is fine) on IMMD?

It is one of the races I looked at - supposed to be a good course for 1st timers and PRs.  But, apparently, they moved the date later by 2 weeks a couple of years ago and have had weather issues.

Heres a slowtwitch thread on the topic.

2017-01-02 8:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by amd723

It is one of the races I looked at - supposed to be a good course for 1st timers and PRs.  But, apparently, they moved the date later by 2 weeks a couple of years ago and have had weather issues.

Yeah, I watched the video which showed a cancelled swim and running through mid shin water on the marathon.
2017-01-02 8:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

ok cyclists, I've got a bike gearing question.  I understand that I have a 12-25 cassette on my P2.  Looking at posts on the IM Louisville FB page there is a discussion that most people use 11-28.  Other than knowing what the numbers represent, I don't really know how one or the other would be a benefit or  detriment for a hilly route.  Any advice and education is appreciated!

2017-01-02 8:58 PM

Master
Northern IL

NAME: Ben

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm on in a few places, but not many. Tend to not like checking 18 places for slightly different info.

STORY: I'm a lifelong athlete who has been involved with numerous sports. Lots of soccer & basketball growing up along with just being in the outdoors on trails, biking, or on the water. Decided not to play anything in college as things would have turned into another job, losing the fun. Picked up on weight lifting in college, but tired of just lifting bigger stacks all the time. Got back into running & riding more until a friend decided to give triathlon a shot. Backed down on tri recently, but still running & riding. Looking forward to this year after being held way back by injury last year.

FAMILY STATUS: Single. No pets at this time.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running and riding. XC skiing when there is actually snow. Swimming a little bit with masters to work my shoulder, but likely stopping soon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Nothing definite, but lots of possibilities. By not doing MDOT events it's not necessary to know so far ahead!

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Fun, exploration, health.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been in the group for a few years now and still don't understand it.
2017-01-02 9:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

Yeah, I watched the video which showed a cancelled swim and running through mid shin water on the marathon.

Think the date move was when MDOT picked it up.

The "good for first timers" marketing note is because it's really flat. That may or may not be a good thing as that can also mean really boring with nothing changing and no downhill breaks.

2017-01-02 9:23 PM

Master
Northern IL

ok cyclists, I've got a bike gearing question.  I understand that I have a 12-25 cassette on my P2.  Looking at posts on the IM Louisville FB page there is a discussion that most people use 11-28.  Other than knowing what the numbers represent, I don't really know how one or the other would be a benefit or  detriment for a hilly route.  Any advice and education is appreciated!

The route has changed significantly since when I did it, so may be more limited in help. Lisa has done it too, possibly on the new route, but can't remember. Think I saw it might be a little harder now, so it's probably a good idea for you especially given where you're coming from.

Gearing is really the ratio between the front (the chainring size) and the back (the cassette, what's listed). The bigger the ratio, the higher the speed you'll be at when using it (front size divided by back). A lot of people get lazy and only state the cassette size. Double check the chainring size too. It's probably something like 50/34 or 52/36, but you want to be sure. I'm still on a 53/39 and often raced with a 54/42. It's a pretty big difference that could notably change what cassette I ran.

For a hilly course, the more important part is the lower end, which is the 25 vs 28. You really want enough gear to get up the hills without mashing. That can really drain your legs. Might only notice some on the bike, but it'll really show up on the run. The 12 vs 11 on the fast end of things should matter very little at most. You should be able to spin that up past 30 mph in which case I'd guess you might start coasting soon anyway? Otherwise you just don't go quite as fast for that brief time period.

Something to note with changing cassettes is that the gap between gears can get larger or smaller. The faster half (roughly) tends to be about the same, but somewhere in the middle to lower half the gaps could get a little larger with each gear shift, depending on exactly what sizes the manufacturer put in. Is your bike 10 or 11 speed? The gaps will increase with either, but will be a little more noticeable if still with 10 spd. This used to annoy me some, but now I really don't notice as I can put out power better at a wider cadence range.

2017-01-02 9:33 PM
in reply to: abake

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by abake CURRENT TRAINING: I used a Training Peaks coach and am mostly in base building for some spring gravel races and a half maraton  

What gravel races do you know of? Trying to find some for myself and my brother that are closer by. Seems many are at least hours away or farther, likely needing an overnight stay. Hard for him with a rather young family.

2017-01-03 2:41 AM

User image

Hi

My name is Tom and I did my first sprint triathlon last year and loved it. Found the support from this group amazing so have come back for more. Have decided to do a sprint, olympic distance and 70.3 next year so bring on the training.

I am 40 in march, married with two small children and live near Mancheser in England.
2017-01-03 5:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by abake CURRENT TRAINING: I used a Training Peaks coach and am mostly in base building for some spring gravel races and a half maraton  

What gravel races do you know of? Trying to find some for myself and my brother that are closer by. Seems many are at least hours away or farther, likely needing an overnight stay. Hard for him with a rather young family.

Agree, our entire county has maybe 3 gravel roads, so I have to drive at least half an hour to put together a good gravel ride. There is the Rough Road 100 http://www.roughroad100.com/in April that might be close enough to allow driving. I'm going to try to make it to this race. I don't know how far you are from the IL/IA border, but there seem to be a lot of B roads in Iowa.
Other than that, we have to drive to Missouri -- down in the Katy Trail area, which is a minimum 2 hour drive.
There may be some in Wisconsin worth looking into.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102