BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-10-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Watching the swim start in Louisville. Lots of nervous energy. Ground looks wet but it does not look like it's raining there right now.It's hard to believe that I was there last year!

i know, I can’t believe I was there last year either! And, since I got hypothermia last year in warmer at the start weather, I’m really glad I’m not there this year!

Michelle is posting on FB. Here's a picture that she posted (hope that this works...)

Jim at Bike Out. Lou 2018.

ugh, looks miserable! I suppose the good news living where he does he is kind of used to tough weather!

2018-10-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Watching the swim start in Louisville. Lots of nervous energy. Ground looks wet but it does not look like it's raining there right now.It's hard to believe that I was there last year!

i know, I can’t believe I was there last year either! And, since I got hypothermia last year in warmer at the start weather, I’m really glad I’m not there this year!

Michelle is posting on FB. Here's a picture that she posted (hope that this works...)

Jim at Bike Out. Lou 2018.

ugh, looks miserable! I suppose the good news living where he does he is kind of used to tough weather!

Ugh.  Looks like a smile, though!

2018-10-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: #5232372

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have 2 friends sherpa-ing. It's cold and drizzly. No wind, which is good. Several people already removed from course for having low body temperatures after the swim and part of the bike.

One of my Tri Club buddies is 2nd in his age group right now (Estevan Price).

Another friend shared an email she received today about IM Florida. Looks very much like it will be canceled.
2018-10-14 3:25 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jim is doing great! He'll be off the bike shortly!

Here's another photo that Michelle (Mrs. Jim) posted -- mile 64:

Jim at mile 64. Lou 2018.

2018-10-14 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jim is out on the run!

2018-10-14 4:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Jim is out on the run!

Go Jim!

2018-10-14 7:21 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Jim is out on the run!

Go Jim!

Go jim!! Cold and drizzly is no fun!!

In related news, how can they not cancel imfl? It sucks but who would even want to ride or run in the middle of the devastation? This has been quite a weather season!
2018-10-14 9:12 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Okay, I guess now I am glad I did not sign up for any of the US fall races. Just hope the logistics work out on Malaysia, and they don't have some kind of horrible natural disaster too. Indonesia has been hit hard in recent weeks--typhoon season in Asia's been ugly as well.
2018-10-15 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Jim is out on the run!

Go Jim!

Go jim!! Cold and drizzly is no fun!!

In related news, how can they not cancel imfl? It sucks but who would even want to ride or run in the middle of the devastation? This has been quite a weather season!

I guess they'll make the final decision tomorrow. But I can't imagine holding the race. There are a lot better things for first responders to be doing than being at Ironman. Disappointing for those who were thinking this would be their "one and done" I'm sure. But even if they did hold it...how could anyone in good conscience want to participate?
2018-10-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia

Jim is out on the run!

Go Jim!

Go jim!! Cold and drizzly is no fun!! In related news, how can they not cancel imfl? It sucks but who would even want to ride or run in the middle of the devastation? This has been quite a weather season!
I guess they'll make the final decision tomorrow. But I can't imagine holding the race. There are a lot better things for first responders to be doing than being at Ironman. Disappointing for those who were thinking this would be their "one and done" I'm sure. But even if they did hold it...how could anyone in good conscience want to participate?

I don't believe there is any way they can hold this race -at least not in PC .  Unless the Sheriff's Office and other law enforcement agencies operate way differently than mine, they will not be allowed to divert their resources from the recover efforts to directing traffic etc for a race. Off duty for that will be cancelled.  Imagine the optics of racers being given water that the locals need. Also remember the NYC marathon fiasco after hurricane Sandy?  Way less devastation to the area and people about loss their minds when the race at first decided to go on.  

Of course, I could be wrong

2018-10-15 12:44 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by Atlantia

Jim is out on the run!

Go Jim!

Go jim!! Cold and drizzly is no fun!! In related news, how can they not cancel imfl? It sucks but who would even want to ride or run in the middle of the devastation? This has been quite a weather season!

I don't believe there is any way they can hold this race -at least not in PC .  Unless the Sheriff's Office and other law enforcement agencies operate way differently than mine, they will not be allowed to divert their resources from the recover efforts to directing traffic etc for a race. Off duty for that will be cancelled.  Imagine the optics of racers being given water that the locals need. Also remember the NYC marathon fiasco after hurricane Sandy?  Way less devastation to the area and people about loss their minds when the race at first decided to go on.  

Of course, I could be wrong

I had forgotten about NY - yeah total cluster!!

2018-10-15 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Thank you for cheering/watching/stalking. It means a lot to me.
I had a great day in spite of the conditions. Janyne and Ann Marie remember last year when it was warm and dry haha.
I was wet from 6:00 am until I got back to the hotel. I will give you good details in my race report. I am fortunate that these conditions are not much different from what I train in this time of year, so I was able to make good clothing choices to stay warm all day. I saw one guy who put his race kit on over his wet suit, there were several garbage bag kits, and a number of people who were dressed for a full on blizzard. On the flip side, there were others who went with just their sleeveless tri-tops. Over 800 people DNF or did not finish on time.
The bike was so difficult. The roads were wet, so you could not take advantage of the downhill to make the up hill easier.
I still had a great time, and those who I am friends with on Facebook (which should be all of you and if we are not you should send me a friend request now), and you saw the pictures, the smiles are real. I love racing triathlons! I plan to do this until I am physically incapable. Plus I need to age out the good athletes, so I can qualify for Kona, haha
2018-10-16 7:24 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Thank you for cheering/watching/stalking. It means a lot to me. I had a great day in spite of the conditions. Janyne and Ann Marie remember last year when it was warm and dry haha. I was wet from 6:00 am until I got back to the hotel. I will give you good details in my race report. I am fortunate that these conditions are not much different from what I train in this time of year, so I was able to make good clothing choices to stay warm all day. I saw one guy who put his race kit on over his wet suit, there were several garbage bag kits, and a number of people who were dressed for a full on blizzard. On the flip side, there were others who went with just their sleeveless tri-tops. Over 800 people DNF or did not finish on time. The bike was so difficult. The roads were wet, so you could not take advantage of the downhill to make the up hill easier. I still had a great time, and those who I am friends with on Facebook (which should be all of you and if we are not you should send me a friend request now), and you saw the pictures, the smiles are real. I love racing triathlons! I plan to do this until I am physically incapable. Plus I need to age out the good athletes, so I can qualify for Kona, haha

I was so proud of you for sticking it out! We all kind of knew that you would be prepared. I was so glad that it was not your first IM though!

I watched people at the swim start via the livestream. It was very interesting because I've never watched a swim start that I wasn't a part of. Oh my goodness, the nervous energy. Then I started to notice how athletes were dressed. Some people clearly didn't get the memo about the weather and were not dressed anywhere near appropriately. I was glad to see you with your jacket on during the bike and the run.

Please thank Michelle for being a Super Sherpa and keeping us in the loop!

P.S. Only 9 more and you can get into Kona via the legacy program :-D

2018-10-16 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Thank you for cheering/watching/stalking. It means a lot to me. I had a great day in spite of the conditions. Janyne and Ann Marie remember last year when it was warm and dry haha. I was wet from 6:00 am until I got back to the hotel. I will give you good details in my race report. I am fortunate that these conditions are not much different from what I train in this time of year, so I was able to make good clothing choices to stay warm all day. I saw one guy who put his race kit on over his wet suit, there were several garbage bag kits, and a number of people who were dressed for a full on blizzard. On the flip side, there were others who went with just their sleeveless tri-tops. Over 800 people DNF or did not finish on time. The bike was so difficult. The roads were wet, so you could not take advantage of the downhill to make the up hill easier. I still had a great time, and those who I am friends with on Facebook (which should be all of you and if we are not you should send me a friend request now), and you saw the pictures, the smiles are real. I love racing triathlons! I plan to do this until I am physically incapable. Plus I need to age out the good athletes, so I can qualify for Kona, haha

i love how much you love IMs! Those conditions were unbelievable, I would have been in medical for sure! Congrats on killing it!!

2018-10-16 8:55 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Your smiles were the best, you truly did look like you were enjoying yourself.  Congratulations!

2018-10-16 6:22 PM
in reply to: #5250638

User image

IM Florida has been relocated to Haines City.

2018-10-16 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs IM Florida has been relocated to Haines City.

wow!

2018-10-16 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

wow!

X2

Begin mad scramble for hotel reservations and other travel arrangements.

2018-10-16 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5250778

User image

It also is a day later, I believe.
2018-10-16 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
SO glad I am not doing that one. IMFL was the only US race with regular entry still open at the time I decided to do a late fall IM, except for charity slots at IMAZ. Mainly didn't choose it as my coach wasn't big on it. Not sure if she'd had a bad experience or what, but she said the swim often gets cancelled and was "yucky", and there was a lot of uncontrolled drafting on the bike. Mom was also not big on Florida, and said she'd rather go to Singapore and Malaysia than Arizona if we were going to spend that kind of $.

Believe it or not, we had SNOW up at the ski resort at Bogus Basin (about 6000-7800 feet) on October 11. Already down in the 20's some mornings here (at about 2800 feet). It might be a long, cold winter!
2018-10-16 9:12 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Race report is up https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... .
It's time for a minor confession. Michelle insisted I pack the coat for the ride. I wasn't going to disagree with her, because I knew she was right. She is a super sherpa, She gave classes to my brother and his wife this year. She might start the Sherpa training academy. haha.

2018-10-16 10:29 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

SO glad I am not doing that one. IMFL was the only US race with regular entry still open at the time I decided to do a late fall IM, except for charity slots at IMAZ. Mainly didn't choose it as my coach wasn't big on it. Not sure if she'd had a bad experience or what, but she said the swim often gets cancelled and was "yucky", and there was a lot of uncontrolled drafting on the bike. Mom was also not big on Florida, and said she'd rather go to Singapore and Malaysia than Arizona if we were going to spend that kind of $.

Believe it or not, we had SNOW up at the ski resort at Bogus Basin (about 6000-7800 feet) on October 11. Already down in the 20's some mornings here (at about 2800 feet). It might be a long, cold winter!

We had snow in the Denver area on Sunday. It was fun!
2018-10-16 10:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by JBacarella

Race report is up https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... .
It's time for a minor confession. Michelle insisted I pack the coat for the ride. I wasn't going to disagree with her, because I knew she was right. She is a super sherpa, She gave classes to my brother and his wife this year. She might start the Sherpa training academy. haha.

Congrats! I'm pretty sure I would have cried the entire time!
2018-10-17 7:52 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
I just posted a race report for Toughman Tennessee.

I managed to either badly cramp up or else outright pull a calf muscle, but otherwise, it was a good race. Like the folks in Louisville, we had a wet morning which made for a slow bike. Congrats to Jim on an awesome day at IM Lou (despite the bike challenges)!
2018-10-17 10:28 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

wow!

X2

Begin mad scramble for hotel reservations and other travel arrangements.

being within driving distance to orlando hopefully there are plenty of hotels - especially in the off season.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13517 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27268 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis