BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-10-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by StaceyK

Hi Everyone

Sorry its been such a long time since I have checked in. Thanks for the birthday wishes last week and thanks for prompting me to check in Janyne.

My very beloved Grandpa passed away late in July and its fair to say that I dropped my bundle a bit and haven't really cared much about anything in the last 12 weeks.

I've run a couple of trail events with my Mum and E and they have been great but other than that I haven't been running at all.

I know that I need to get back to it as I know that I will feel heaps better when I do. I get up every morning with plenty of time to go out run and its daylight at 5am here now so there is no reason not to go but I just cant get myself out the door.

The only thing that I have firmly on my race calendar is the half marathon at Ultra Trail Australia in May next year.

maybe tomorrow...

You and your family are in my thoughts, Stacey..

2019-10-30 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Everyone Sorry its been such a long time since I have checked in. Thanks for the birthday wishes last week and thanks for prompting me to check in Janyne. My very beloved Grandpa passed away late in July and its fair to say that I dropped my bundle a bit and haven't really cared much about anything in the last 12 weeks. I've run a couple of trail events with my Mum and E and they have been great but other than that I haven't been running at all. I know that I need to get back to it as I know that I will feel heaps better when I do. I get up every morning with plenty of time to go out run and its daylight at 5am here now so there is no reason not to go but I just cant get myself out the door. The only thing that I have firmly on my race calendar is the half marathon at Ultra Trail Australia in May next year. maybe tomorrow...

it's good to hear from you, Stacey, even if things aren't going well. I'm sorry to see about your Grandpa. Training is often the last thing on our minds during trying times. I hope you can get yourself out and running again soon.

2019-10-30 11:46 AM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by kbhanson3 POL post Greetings, Manatees! Hope everyone is doing well. I let myself get separated from the pod a while back, but Janyne tracked me down (thank you, Janyne!). This year has been hectic for me & my family - some of it good and some of it very challenging. Long story short, I let things get me off track from my training and I have been struggling to get back into it. My wife, son & I are in the midst of relocating to Durham, NC. She's been up there since mid-July, but my son & I will be in Jacksonville at least through the end of the year due to my work situation. And unfortunately, my bikes are up in Durham because I don't have anywhere to keep them in Jacksonville since we sold our house in August. We're really excited about the move, but for the time being our family life is pretty unsettled. I'm making regular long weekend trips up to Durham to spend time with DW and to network as I search for a gig up there. All that has made it easy to rationalize not training. My immediate goal is to get back into a training routine and to drop 20 lbs. When I get there, I'll set some more focused goals. On the bright side, I had a front row seat for the Blue Angels show today in Jacksonville Beach (photo attached)...after a workout this morning.

It's good to see your life is moving forward, even if it has been a challenging time. I hope the rest of the year clears out a bit for you and you get things back in line. Congrats on the changes in life and in seeing the Blue Angels. I'm sure it was cool!

2019-10-30 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

Hi Everyone

Sorry its been such a long time since I have checked in. Thanks for the birthday wishes last week and thanks for prompting me to check in Janyne.

My very beloved Grandpa passed away late in July and its fair to say that I dropped my bundle a bit and haven't really cared much about anything in the last 12 weeks.

I've run a couple of trail events with my Mum and E and they have been great but other than that I haven't been running at all.

I know that I need to get back to it as I know that I will feel heaps better when I do. I get up every morning with plenty of time to go out run and its daylight at 5am here now so there is no reason not to go but I just cant get myself out the door.

The only thing that I have firmly on my race calendar is the half marathon at Ultra Trail Australia in May next year.

maybe tomorrow...

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to go through the grieving process for someone you are close to. You have our prayers.
2019-10-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

The Manatee meet up is coming!!! 

Also, it's raining and getting very dark here - how are you all doing with the waning daylight hours and inevitable shift to cooler temperatures (maybe you Floridians appreciate it) but feeling much like hibernating lately ...

2019-10-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Also, it's raining and getting very dark here - how are you all doing with the waning daylight hours and inevitable shift to cooler temperatures (maybe you Floridians appreciate it) but feeling much like hibernating lately ...

We Floridians have not seen any cooler weather yet - it was 91* yesterday and will be close to that today!  We are hibernating in the air conditioning!!

I do understand that long, cold, dark days can cause depression in some people so I don't take that lightly! Wish all you cold weather manatees well! 

2019-10-30 10:14 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Very cold here, especially early AM, but sunny lately after about six weeks of almost daily rain (really). I always get up early for trainer rides so those haven't been affected. Swimming is indoors so likewise. Just trying to figure out the logistics of running once the time changes. We have a nice track up at school, but I would have to stop my prep work early to run before dark, then go back in, change into dry clothes, probably, and finish up work after. Either that or get a treadmill for the house. Ugh. I really didn't have this problem in the tropics--daylight was pretty similar year-round; at most in the depths of "winter" I might need a headlamp for the first 20-30 minutes of my morning runs.
2019-10-31 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

We Floridians have not seen any cooler weather yet - it was 91* yesterday and will be close to that today!  We are hibernating in the air conditioning!!

I do understand that long, cold, dark days can cause depression in some people so I don't take that lightly! Wish all you cold weather manatees well! 

I'm in PCB and there is a Full Floridian Freakout because it is supposed to be in the 60's the next two days.
2019-10-31 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella

I'm in PCB and there is a Full Floridian Freakout because it is supposed to be in the 60's the next two days.

LOL! Well, i guess our problems are relative to where we are. 

I am trying to work myself up to love the treadmill more. I have one. So i should have no excuse but i still can't work myself up to it with any consistency. It's my last option. I'll do it today because it's supposed to pour rain all day. Any tips for TM lovers? 

But mostly i feel like it's super hard to wake up in the morning so that limits that availability and then after 8 when my kids go to bed it's even darker and colder than usual which makes me just want to hibernate. Literally. Good thing i have my swim group already booked and paid for in the evenings. Otherwise i would never leave. 

2019-10-31 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not really looking forward to the time change this weekend :-(

2019-10-31 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh no! The 60s! Time to get out the winter coats!

2019-10-31 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I am trying to work myself up to love the treadmill more. I have one. So i should have no excuse but i still can't work myself up to it with any consistency. It's my last option. I'll do it today because it's supposed to pour rain all day. Any tips for TM lovers? 

But mostly i feel like it's super hard to wake up in the morning so that limits that availability and then after 8 when my kids go to bed it's even darker and colder than usual which makes me just want to hibernate. Literally. Good thing i have my swim group already booked and paid for in the evenings. Otherwise i would never leave. 

I can't use the treadmill to "just run" but I can use it for intervals. Jen and I have talked about this. I have been using the Stryd footpod which I paid way to much for even after the 20% discount that I used.  I thought that I would like running with power. I kinda don't or at least I'm not confident enough in my zones to use it.  Anyway, the Stryd is pretty accurate on the treadmill and I have been using that for distance and been happy with it.

Several people on Endurance Nation and with my local tri club use Zwift Run (free).  You might give that a look as well.  (the Zwift cycling component is paid but run is still free).

2019-10-31 9:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Very cold here, especially early AM, but sunny lately after about six weeks of almost daily rain (really). I always get up early for trainer rides so those haven't been affected. Swimming is indoors so likewise. Just trying to figure out the logistics of running once the time changes. We have a nice track up at school, but I would have to stop my prep work early to run before dark, then go back in, change into dry clothes, probably, and finish up work after. Either that or get a treadmill for the house. Ugh. I really didn't have this problem in the tropics--daylight was pretty similar year-round; at most in the depths of "winter" I might need a headlamp for the first 20-30 minutes of my morning runs.

Yeah, the fall time change is not my favorite :-/

I'm jealous of your track.

2019-10-31 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I had the bike ready to take to work today so that I could ride home at 4:00 when I get out. Weatherman said that high humidity and temps will combine for a "Feels like" temp of 100*.

The bike stayed home. I do understand the frustration that others feel. I guess we all have our specific weather issues.

2019-10-31 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

LOL, you should see how we act when the temp hits 40* for a couple of hours!

2019-10-31 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
Ann-Marie - Land and Sky Relay!  
Janyne - Land and Sky Relay!
Mary - Land and Sky Relay!
Melanie - Land and Sky Relay!
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!
Robin - Land and Sky Relay!
Laura - Hot Cider Hustle on Saturday
Jim - Ironman Florida (2423) (we relay folks will stalk as best as we can with limited cell coverage)

Is anyone else racing?

2019-10-31 2:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!
Jim - Ironman Florida (2423) (we relay folks will stalk as best as we can with limited cell coverage)

Is anyone else racing?

Whoa, look at all the Relay Manatees! I'm supposed to do a gravel race in Kansas, Illinois, on Saturday (the Illinois Kanza) but weather is looking pretty nasty, so it may or may not happen.
2019-10-31 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!

Is anyone else racing?

It is kind of you to say I am "racing". Sherpa-driver is more like it.
2019-10-31 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!

Is anyone else racing?

Go Jim, Laura, and all the Relay peeps!

2019-10-31 5:57 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!

Is anyone else racing?

It is kind of you to say I am "racing". Sherpa-driver is more like it.

Robin, you are certainly participating and we literally could not do it without you!

2019-10-31 6:57 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by StaceyKHi EveryoneSorry its been such a long time since I have checked in. Thanks for the birthday wishes last week and thanks for prompting me to check in Janyne. My very beloved Grandpa passed away late in July and its fair to say that I dropped my bundle a bit and haven't really cared much about anything in the last 12 weeks. I've run a couple of trail events with my Mum and E and they have been great but other than that I haven't been running at all. I know that I need to get back to it as I know that I will feel heaps better when I do. I get up every morning with plenty of time to go out run and its daylight at 5am here now so there is no reason not to go but I just cant get myself out the door.The only thing that I have firmly on my race calendar is the half marathon at Ultra Trail Australia in May next year. maybe tomorrow...
You and your family are in my thoughts, Stacey..
i am so sorry. I was wondering what was happening with the turtles. Life can sure sucker punch you sometimes. Take the time to heal that you need.

2019-10-31 10:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck racers!
My #1 Sherpa will do her normal FB live posts. I have to say for a pre-race PCB is one of the best. If you aren't friends with me on FB it's James Bacarella, I will accept all manatees

Edited by JBacarella 2019-10-31 10:37 PM
2019-11-01 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck Relay Manatees! Take lots of pictures.
Jim - good luck, I'll be stalking.
2019-11-01 8:03 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Atlantia

Racing Manatees!!!

November 2-3
TJ - Land and Sky Relay!

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck Relay Manatees! Take lots of pictures.
Jim - good luck, I'll be stalking.

So many racers! Good luck to all of you!
2019-11-01 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I can't use the treadmill to "just run" but I can use it for intervals. Jen and I have talked about this. I have been using the Stryd footpod which I paid way to much for even after the 20% discount that I used.  I thought that I would like running with power. I kinda don't or at least I'm not confident enough in my zones to use it.  Anyway, the Stryd is pretty accurate on the treadmill and I have been using that for distance and been happy with it.

Several people on Endurance Nation and with my local tri club use Zwift Run (free).  You might give that a look as well.  (the Zwift cycling component is paid but run is still free).

Yeah too bad about that Tread tracker you sent - it would be cool since both my DH  and i run but it is sadly discontinued. And we did look up footpods but for the cost i think it is more about a mental shift away from pace. But i probably should do a heart rate test and get new zones - so i can run by HR and time instead when i use the TM. And just have to live with wonky paces from the wrist ... 

I'll check out Zwift anyway because i will need to do lots of indoor training in the new year. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107