BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-02 8:06 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by glfprncs GA made the decision today that all public k-12 schools will finish the year online. My 115 students doubled to 230 on Thurs when my co-worker went on maternity leave. Zink was diagnosed with a luxated patella last week & will need surgery. It's congenital & they warned us about the other rear leg. It started luxating today, so he'll likely need 2 surgeries. I'm still not over my pollen induced cough so I cannot run or bike. It sucks. But my pups love having me home. My husband is home, so we're together. It was a stunner of a day today. And I have Tussionex cough syrup that's gonna knock my coughing arse out in about 30 minutes. XO my manatees

Wow, that's a lot of kids even without the doubling up! So sorry about Zink, I hope the surgeries are as easy as they can be both on him and your pocketbook! 

I had a few coughs yesterday morning and immediately thought the secretary that went home sick Tuesday had infected me with COVID-19. Then I remembered allergies and felt a lot better And, my secretary is fine too.

It is like living in The Stand in real life. Anytime i cough or have a scratchy throat I have a second of mild panic. Then I look at the coating of yellow pollen on everything.

2020-04-02 8:51 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by juniperjen

Good morning Manatees! Glad to see all the chatter going on.

I am having a super down day - it's early. And there seems to be no logical reason.  Everything is fine. It's tough having all of us home - we are getting paid, we have food, etc etc. My manager isn't worried about any particular productivity. I know i have a good situation I still feel super bummed. With the start of April i just am feeling like it's not going to end. 

So, hope you all are having a sunnier day than me and we keep on as best we can. 

Jen, I am sorry to see this. I don't think you are alone. We just got off a call with a friend that had a rough day as well. She is having to shut out her granddaughter, due to some family concerns with this whole mess. She was a crying mess on the phone and I have NEVER seen that side of her. It was heartbreaking.  One thing I try to keep in the front of my mind is perspective. This sucks, not seeing people sucks, not doing the things we love sucks, the list goes on. But the reality for most of us is that we have to keep moving forward.  And that can be trying at times, so go easy on yourself. It's going to take a while to get through it and you will go through a ton of emotions. Accept them, work through them and rememebr how strong you truly are. Those that have known me for a while know that I have a spiritual core, although I am mostly internal about it. However, I do want you all to know that I am keeping each and every one of you and your families in my thoughts and prayers. 

I think that this is important. We all need to be good to ourselves and take the self-care seriously both mentally and physically.

Now for the lighter stuff. I have almost accepted the fact that I am going to have to get a trainer for the bike, especially given the Stay at Home order that Florida received today. So, since I haven't received a stimulus check yet, but have managed to spend it three times over, what is one more thing?  Time to go shopping. From my couch.

Stay well eveyone.

If you are going to get a trainer, pull the trigger soon. DC Rainmaker predicts a shortage by the end of this month.

2020-04-02 8:55 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs GA made the decision today that all public k-12 schools will finish the year online. My 115 students doubled to 230 on Thurs when my co-worker went on maternity leave. Zink was diagnosed with a luxated patella last week & will need surgery. It's congenital & they warned us about the other rear leg. It started luxating today, so he'll likely need 2 surgeries. I'm still not over my pollen induced cough so I cannot run or bike. It sucks. But my pups love having me home. My husband is home, so we're together. It was a stunner of a day today. And I have Tussionex cough syrup that's gonna knock my coughing arse out in about 30 minutes. XO my manatees

Oh my doG!  230 students?!

And poor Zink (and your poor bank account).

{{hugs}}

2020-04-02 9:10 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

I am having a super down day - it's early. And there seems to be no logical reason.  Everything is fine. It's tough having all of us home - we are getting paid, we have food, etc etc. My manager isn't worried about any particular productivity. I know i have a good situation I still feel super bummed. With the start of April i just am feeling like it's not going to end. 

So, hope you all are having a sunnier day than me and we keep on as best we can. 

Jen, I am sorry to see this. I don't think you are alone. We just got off a call with a friend that had a rough day as well. She is having to shut out her granddaughter, due to some family concerns with this whole mess. She was a crying mess on the phone and I have NEVER seen that side of her. It was heartbreaking.  One thing I try to keep in the front of my mind is perspective. This sucks, not seeing people sucks, not doing the things we love sucks, the list goes on. But the reality for most of us is that we have to keep moving forward.  And that can be trying at times, so go easy on yourself. It's going to take a while to get through it and you will go through a ton of emotions. Accept them, work through them and rememebr how strong you truly are. Those that have known me for a while know that I have a spiritual core, although I am mostly internal about it. However, I do want you all to know that I am keeping each and every one of you and your families in my thoughts and prayers. 

I think that this is important. We all need to be good to ourselves and take the self-care seriously both mentally and physically.

Now for the lighter stuff. I have almost accepted the fact that I am going to have to get a trainer for the bike, especially given the Stay at Home order that Florida received today. So, since I haven't received a stimulus check yet, but have managed to spend it three times over, what is one more thing?  Time to go shopping. From my couch.

Stay well everyone.

If you are going to get a trainer, pull the trigger soon. DC Rainmaker predicts a shortage by the end of this month.

I'm going to speak with the LBS on that, you know, small business, economic stimulus, yadda, yadda, yadda. Also, I can pick it up from them and not wait for a delivery from Amazon for a non-medical, non-essential item, which I have heard may be slowed down a bit.

2020-04-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, that's a lot of students!!  Poor Zink. Poor you with the pollen cough.  Take care.

2020-04-02 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Stay well everyone.

I'm going to speak with the LBS on that, you know, small business, economic stimulus, yadda, yadda, yadda. Also, I can pick it up from them and not wait for a delivery from Amazon for a non-medical, non-essential item, which I have heard may be slowed down a bit.

Perfect! 

2020-04-02 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Thanks so much everyone for the commiseration yesterday. We are all in this together with its own issues. 

I am very much thinking about pausing my triathlon training - it's been going well but i am not really into it. The chances of my race actually happening on June 21st are pretty slim at this point.

One of the things I wanted to do was one of the Beach Body programs from start to end ... so i might pick up that and then re-assess the tri season at that point. Just mulling some options 

2020-04-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks so much everyone for the commiseration yesterday. We are all in this together with its own issues. 

I am very much thinking about pausing my triathlon training - it's been going well but i am not really into it. The chances of my race actually happening on June 21st are pretty slim at this point.

One of the things I wanted to do was one of the Beach Body programs from start to end ... so i might pick up that and then re-assess the tri season at that point. Just mulling some options 

I believe that anyone that is training for an event has an opportunity to re-assess. This may cause frustration, anger, loss of focus, etc. But it also might cause a renewal of enjoyment for the simple act of "doing". I used to enjoy training rides with the LBS, but in the past few years, cycling has returned to the joyful act of riding, simply to ride.  I have been re-reminded of that this week, as I have tried to make good use of the hour that used to be committed to commuting.  Also, this is the time that I am able to check out of reality and do something to clear my head and make me smile a bit.  You may find that what you really enjoy is the training aspect, in and of itself.  Of course, some of us are better off if we have that carrot (or event) in front of us that gives us reason to train. I hope you find the "doing" that helps you the most.

2020-04-02 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I believe that anyone that is training for an event has an opportunity to re-assess. This may cause frustration, anger, loss of focus, etc. But it also might cause a renewal of enjoyment for the simple act of "doing". I used to enjoy training rides with the LBS, but in the past few years, cycling has returned to the joyful act of riding, simply to ride.  I have been re-reminded of that this week, as I have tried to make good use of the hour that used to be committed to commuting.  Also, this is the time that I am able to check out of reality and do something to clear my head and make me smile a bit.  You may find that what you really enjoy is the training aspect, in and of itself.  Of course, some of us are better off if we have that carrot (or event) in front of us that gives us reason to train. I hope you find the "doing" that helps you the most.

I think that right now, training should be used to DE-stress. It shouldn't be adding stress!  And, like Chris said, we need to remember that we do this for fun.

2020-04-02 12:21 PM

I have almost accepted the fact that I am going to have to get a trainer for the bike, especially given the Stay at Home order that Florida received today. So, since I haven't received a stimulus check yet, but have managed to spend it three times over, what is one more thing?  Time to go shopping. From my couch.

Stay well everyone.

I'm pretty new to all of this, but my advice would be to bite the bullet and go smart trainer. "Buy once, cry once" as they say. I used a friend's fluid trainer for a few months when I first started out. When she needed it back for tri season (she takes it to races to do her warmup), I started looking at the smart trainers. I had a 20% REI coupon and decided to go with the Kickr Snap from Wahoo. This is what my friend had upgraded her fluid trainer to and she spoke highly of it. I love the thing. It's entertaining to use for Sufferfest type apps and is overall far more enjoyable to ride than the fluid trainer. There are some really, really expensive ones out there. I think I paid about $500 with shipping and couldn't be happier thus far.

Besides, I imagine there's going to be a manatee zoom ride if this dang virus hangs around too much longer, so you'll need a trainer for that. :-)
2020-04-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've been curious about this and Chris's potential trainer purchase prompted me to create a trainer survey to find out what trainer hardware and software my Manatee friends are using

Trainer Survey

2020-04-02 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I've been curious about this and Chris's potential trainer purchase prompted me to create a trainer survey to find out what trainer hardware and software my Manatee friends are using

Trainer Survey

done.

2020-04-02 2:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Trainer Survey

done.

Me, too.
2020-04-02 2:04 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Trainer Survey

done.

Me, too.

Great, I'll post some results tomorrow.

2020-04-02 3:04 PM

Trainer Survey

Also done.
2020-04-02 7:08 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert

Trainer Survey

done.

Me, too.

Me Too

2020-04-02 7:45 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master

Originally posted by JBacarella

Trainer Survey

done.

Me, too.
Me Too

Me two. or six.

2020-04-02 7:50 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

My coworkers are a-holes. They yell at every tiny noise, birds in the yard, wind in trees. The littlest one is either trying to get in my lap, or snapping nastily at the others. The biggest one is currently feet up on the chair, alternating between sniffing my face and licking my hand. The short haired one just tore the stuffing out of the biggest's favorite toy, and the curly haired one just lies there staring at the door like there is someone coming in. And they are recently all convinced that dinner time has been changed from 6pm to 5pm and whine piteously starting at 4:45.

Oh, and when I try to do a lunchtime workout, they try to help. Not a team sport, guys.

I better get a raise soon.

2020-04-02 10:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
On the subject of coworkers, this really happened! I have commandeered Shelby's de facto "nap chair" in our study/exercise room for its intended use as a desk chair while on a conference call and preparing online lessons. I moved the cushion and towel we had on it onto the floor for her to hang out on (She always keeps me company at "work" or during workouts in that room.) Shelby dutifully stayed on her floor "nest" till I had to take a quick bathroom break. When I came back, there she was back in "her" chair at the desk. So I sat on the floor to finish up, and had Mom take a picture.

This coworker is COMPLETELY out of control. My real-life colleagues already expect her sudden appearance on video calls each day. All three co-workers also do the piteous whining an hour early thing too. They must have gotten a time change memo that the rest of us missed.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-04-02 10:31 PM

(IMG_20200401_123429740_BURST002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20200401_123429740_BURST002.jpg (992KB - 3 downloads)
2020-04-03 6:57 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerOn the subject of coworkers, this really happened! I have commandeered Shelby's de facto "nap chair" in our study/exercise room for its intended use as a desk chair while on a conference call and preparing online lessons. I moved the cushion and towel we had on it onto the floor for her to hang out on (She always keeps me company at "work" or during workouts in that room.) Shelby dutifully stayed on her floor "nest" till I had to take a quick bathroom break. When I came back, there she was back in "her" chair at the desk. So I sat on the floor to finish up, and had Mom take a picture.This coworker is COMPLETELY out of control. My real-life colleagues already expect her sudden appearance on video calls each day. All three co-workers also do the piteous whining an hour early thing too. They must have gotten a time change memo that the rest of us missed.
Some coworkers are just Divas
2020-04-03 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

For the Sufferfest people or those thinking about doing the free 6 week trial, starting today (Friday) and then every MWF at noon eastern time they are doing a group ride.  Here's the link for today's ride. Workout is G.O.A.T.  I'm interested to see how this goes. It looks more like maybe a Peleton type set up, eg, we see the instructor, but not each other, rather than a zwift type ride. 

Since I blew off my morning run  work dependant, I think i'll join.

2020-04-03 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner On the subject of coworkers, this really happened! I have commandeered Shelby's de facto "nap chair" in our study/exercise room for its intended use as a desk chair while on a conference call and preparing online lessons. I moved the cushion and towel we had on it onto the floor for her to hang out on (She always keeps me company at "work" or during workouts in that room.) Shelby dutifully stayed on her floor "nest" till I had to take a quick bathroom break. When I came back, there she was back in "her" chair at the desk. So I sat on the floor to finish up, and had Mom take a picture. This coworker is COMPLETELY out of control. My real-life colleagues already expect her sudden appearance on video calls each day. All three co-workers also do the piteous whining an hour early thing too. They must have gotten a time change memo that the rest of us missed.

Haha!  We know who's in charge!

2020-04-03 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Preliminary survey results (12 responses)

90% wheel on trainers

Hardware specifics

• 5 Cyclops trainers (1 Magneto, 1 Magnus, 2 fluid, 1 unnamed)
  • 3 Wahoo (2 Kickr Snap, 1 Kickr)
  • 2 Elite trainers (1 Suito, 1 fluid)
  • 1 Kurt Kinetic lime green trainer
  • 1 Tacx

Regarding software, people could select more than one:

• 5 The Sufferfest
  • 4 Zwift
  • 3 TrainerRoad
  • 2 None
  • 1 Rouvy
  • 1 uses Garmin head unit to drive the trainer (Training Peaks > Garmin)
  • 1 I have tried Zwift but my plan is HR and time based ...

2020-04-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Kirsten and Karen - you definitely have some bossy and controlling co-workers!  I think Shelby takes the cake, though, relegating you to the floor while she watches from atop her throne aka your former office chair.  LOL

I was late to the trainer survey but did it a few minutes ago.

I think we should set up some sort of virtual manatee something, whether it be a virtual 5K or a Zoom ride or the like.  No winners, no losers, just a planned manatee activity 'together'.  Any interest?

Edited by melbo55 2020-04-03 10:31 AM
2020-04-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Kirsten and Karen - you definitely have some bossy and controlling co-workers!  I think Shelby takes the cake, though, relegating you to the floor while she watches from atop her throne aka your former office chair.  LOL

I was late to the trainer survey but did it a few minutes ago.

I think we should set up some sort of virtual manatee something, whether it be a virtual 5K or a Zoom ride or the like.  No winners, no losers, just a planned manatee activity 'together'.  Any interest?

sounds like that could be fun!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127