BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

How are all of you rethinking your year from a training perspective? Like most (all?) of the other Manatee Choo 70.3ers, I have deferred to May 2021.  That leaves lots of wide open spaces.  

I think that I am going to pretend that I am training for some fall cycling -- something like Bike MS in September or or FestiVelo in November and also pretend that I will be able to run a half marathon or three (Ocean Isle or OBX or Mother Earth).  Anyway, making plans that might well fall through just to provide a loose run and bike structure for the year.

Of course those are my current thoughts and that might change!

i am pretending the NYC tri is still on. When i can roust myself from ennui.

2020-04-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

How are all of you rethinking your year from a training perspective? Like most (all?) of the other Manatee Choo 70.3ers, I have deferred to May 2021.  That leaves lots of wide open spaces.  

I think that I am going to pretend that I am training for some fall cycling -- something like Bike MS in September or or FestiVelo in November and also pretend that I will be able to run a half marathon or three (Ocean Isle or OBX or Mother Earth).  Anyway, making plans that might well fall through just to provide a loose run and bike structure for the year.

Right now I’m pretending my Glacier HM the last weekend in June is a go , so following a run plan for that ( though Teddy’s limping messed up Saturday’s long run, damn dog ). On top of that, I set up a Garmin run challenge for this week with some of my running club friends and I’m continuing cycling, but mainly what I feel like doing.

This weekend ( starting Friday) is IM’s second virtual race. It’s an oly distance duathlon. I signed up for it. Other manatees should join me!

Oh, thanks for the IM racing heads up.

Ironman Virtual Club. I signed up and connected my account to Strava.

3k run - 40k ride - 10k run in three sessions between 6pm GMT on Friday and 11:59pm GMT on Sunday.  (Clearly I need to translate that into NY time if I plant to do it.)

I wanted to do a long ride over the weekend, weather permitting.  This sounds interesting though. I mean, I'm a sucker for virtual badges...

2020-04-06 9:21 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Look at us with our pretend races! ;-)

2020-04-06 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Right now I’m pretending my Glacier HM the last weekend in June is a go , so following a run plan for that ( though Teddy’s limping messed up Saturday’s long run, damn dog ). On top of that, I set up a Garmin run challenge for this week with some of my running club friends and I’m continuing cycling, but mainly what I feel like doing.

This weekend ( starting Friday) is IM’s second virtual race. It’s an oly distance duathlon. I signed up for it. Other manatees should join me!

Oh, thanks for the IM racing heads up.

Ironman Virtual Club. I signed up and connected my account to Strava.

3k run - 40k ride - 10k run in three sessions between 6pm GMT on Friday and 11:59pm GMT on Sunday.  (Clearly I need to translate that into NY time if I plant to do it.)

I wanted to do a long ride over the weekend, weather permitting.  This sounds interesting though. I mean, I'm a sucker for virtual badges...

we definitely need to make sure we have the time right as IM is very strict about both time and distances. It was suggested that for the distances you run or bike a little  but further just to make sure you’re not short. If you bike IMs official course on Rouvy there shouldn’t be an issue with distance. I’m assuming like like week they will have an official course!

2020-04-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

This weekend - I did the long ride and run on my HIM plan and it felt really ridiculous to be logging such volume  (a 2:45 bike and 1:45 run) - my race is in Quebec in June and although not officially cancelled/postponed Quebec is being harder hit than Ontario (my province) and has a smaller population. There is no way my race is happening. I hate that but I also need to face facts.  

One of the things I wanted to do after my HIM was a strength program from start to finish and was listed in my 2020 goals so today i am going to start 80 Day Obsession and just go until I hear about race details - but fully expecting to be deferred to next year. I can do this in my basement and is very different in terms of exercise but it's something that's been on my mind to do. 

Edited by juniperjen 2020-04-06 9:39 AM
2020-04-06 9:57 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

This weekend - I did the long ride and run on my HIM plan and it felt really ridiculous to be logging such volume  (a 2:45 bike and 1:45 run) - my race is in Quebec in June and although not officially cancelled/postponed Quebec is being harder hit than Ontario (my province) and has a smaller population. There is no way my race is happening. I hate that but I also need to face facts.  

One of the things I wanted to do after my HIM was a strength program from start to finish and was listed in my 2020 goals so today i am going to start 80 Day Obsession and just go until I hear about race details - but fully expecting to be deferred to next year. I can do this in my basement and is very different in terms of exercise but it's something that's been on my mind to do. 

Virginia has their stay-at-home order until June 10.  NC's is only until the end of the month but they just said that they will reevaluate then, not that it would be lifted. Even if the stay-at-home orders are removed, that doesn't mean that 2000 athletes plus friends and family gather is either a good idea or would be approved by the province.

Kevin went up to Fletcher over the weekend to check on things. He found one trail opened (Spencer's Gap) and did a road ride.  He also hooked up the Ecobee thermostat -- which we can monitor/control from here so we can keep it at an energy efficient temperature most of the time and change it to a more comfortable temperature when we are en route.  He drove there on one tank of gas, did two rides and chores in between and then drove back on one tank of gas with no stops either way.  He brought food so it was overall relatively safe. 

(Follow Kevin on Strava at https://www.strava.com/athletes/5897100 to see the route)

2020-04-06 11:07 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Monday!
We finally had a beautiful weekend in Chicago area, and I took advantage of it fully. We did mountain biking, and had a blast. We were worried that with too many people they may close the trails, but apparently folks took some precautions, there was no overflown parks, so our trails may be open for longer than just one weekend.

As for the training goals, that's tough... We have no way to train for the swimming. I am planning to work on my fitness and mileage on biking and running. I am still planning to move to CO in June, thus, I don't want to make plans for a specific race, as I don't know where I will be in the Fall (hopefully CO!)
2020-04-06 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I am lucky as I am using this year to try and get back my running and biking condition.  The only events I have right now are a half and full marathon.  I was looking for some Oly and perhaps a 70.3 race this summer; but that is likely not happening as I cannot swim.  We have a couple of century rides in August; but I am guessing those are at risk right now.  I'm just enjoying working out and getting back some of my fitness.  I'll focus on racing next year.  

2020-04-06 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Virginia has their stay-at-home order until June 10.  NC's is only until the end of the month but they just said that they will reevaluate then, not that it would be lifted. Even if the stay-at-home orders are removed, that doesn't mean that 2000 athletes plus friends and family gather is either a good idea or would be approved by the province.

Kevin went up to Fletcher over the weekend to check on things. He found one trail opened (Spencer's Gap) and did a road ride.  He also hooked up the Ecobee thermostat -- which we can monitor/control from here so we can keep it at an energy efficient temperature most of the time and change it to a more comfortable temperature when we are en route.  He drove there on one tank of gas, did two rides and chores in between and then drove back on one tank of gas with no stops either way.  He brought food so it was overall relatively safe. 

(Follow Kevin on Strava at https://www.strava.com/athletes/5897100 to see the route)

It's definitely my thinking - what does a transition look like out of all of this stay at home? Events like an IM certainly won't be priority ... and that's cool. Honestly looking forward to many things about transitioning out, whenever that might be. 

2020-04-06 12:44 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yep pretending that Ironman Wisconsin (9/13/20) it still a-go, but fully expecting it to not be. I'll continue to ramp up volume until an official call is made - just in case. I've been doing dryland swim cord stuff but I'm really missing the pool.

2020-04-06 4:40 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
My 2 spring tri races (sprint & oly) are rescheduled for Sept & Oct. My next race (that hasn't been canceled yet) is in mid July. Probably going to to run a fall HM. May consider Challenge Daytona or maybe the SC half iron in the fall.

Met the surgeon this morning for Zink. He went ahead & repaired both luxating patellas & he's out of surgery & staying at vet's tonight. Will pick him up tomorrow.

2020-04-06 7:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

Today I signed up for a free month of Trainerroad. I mentioned in here the other day that I was thinking of doing this mainly for the Android capability to run it from my phone. I am impressed with the number of workouts and plans in there for sure. It seems that they are designed for someone with more riding experience than I have, as many of the plans start out with 45-90 minute rides. I am looking to adjust one of their plans with 30-45 min rides. I am curious as to what others think about substituting rides out for one another. Let's say I am looking at a 45 minute ride that has a TSS of 47 and an IF of .79, and I want to substitute a 30 minute ride there. Should I look for 30 minute workout that has a TSS closer to 47, or an IF closer to .79? I am trying to match both as closely as possible, but I am wondering if one number is more important than the other?
2020-04-06 8:38 PM

User image

Expert

Funny thing is the current situation has not changed anything for me, because of career issues. As of now the filing deadline is April 21st, and so far nobody has filed to run against me and our filing deadlines for office haven't changed yet. So I am still in a wait and see what happens type of limbo. Someone could file in July as an independent, so I will remain in limbo. The plan was to continue base training with increased mileage each week.
Michelle "wants(?)" me to do IMFL again if nobody runs against me. She made a friend last year whose husband will race it and it's an easier to sell going to Florida in November.
I had a hope to race Steelehead 70.3 in June, but it seems like a bad idea now. Even if it isn't cancelled, the idea of being in a large crowd kind of freaks me out. Plus my "crash" put me behind in training, it would be tough to be ready to race in 2 months.
2020-04-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Really having a tough time with the lack of childcare today. Feeling super out of the loop at work while people go off and work on helpful things ... 

Not being productive at work and not being present with my kids  

Darren is having a hard time too because all the stuff with his work keep changing (works for a big retailer who was at first on the essential list and now has been closed) - so they have to figure out all the supply chain issues every week. I know he's stressed and doing his share. 

2020-04-07 11:45 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Really having a tough time with the lack of childcare today. Feeling super out of the loop at work while people go off and work on helpful things ... 

Darren is having a hard time too because all the stuff with his work keep changing (works for a big retailer who was at first on the essential list and now has been closed) - so they have to figure out all the supply chain issues every week. I know he's stressed and doing his share. 

that all sounds really rough. I am sorry it is so stressful on every front.
2020-04-07 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yes, super stressful

2020-04-07 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes, super stressful

I know we all have our stressors and tough times in this situation. Thanks for letting me have a place to say it. I know i am still very priviledged. We all have day to day worries that are really specific to each one of us. 

Now after kid-bedtime (and actually successful potty training, yay) i have done day 2 of the strength program. Now there's something :D 

2020-04-08 1:18 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

I did my first ride in TrainerRoad last night. I love the layout on my phone and think it will work well. I did the FTP ramp test, so now I have something to build off of. I did some reading about it this morning and realized I don't think I was supposed to shift gears at all during the test - that the ERG mode would apparently take care of that for me. So maybe my next test will be way skewed from this one, but at least I feel like I have something to build on. It also has me looking at LisaC and RandeeWarrior's rides in Strava more closely. Very excited for this!!!!
2020-04-08 1:27 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri I did my first ride in TrainerRoad last night. I love the layout on my phone and think it will work well. I did the FTP ramp test, so now I have something to build off of. I did some reading about it this morning and realized I don't think I was supposed to shift gears at all during the test - that the ERG mode would apparently take care of that for me. So maybe my next test will be way skewed from this one, but at least I feel like I have something to build on. It also has me looking at LisaC and RandeeWarrior's rides in Strava more closely. Very excited for this!!!!

unless TR is different from the other apps, you should not use erg for your FTP test, so sounds like you did it correctly !

2020-04-08 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri I did my first ride in TrainerRoad last night. I love the layout on my phone and think it will work well. I did the FTP ramp test, so now I have something to build off of. I did some reading about it this morning and realized I don't think I was supposed to shift gears at all during the test - that the ERG mode would apparently take care of that for me. So maybe my next test will be way skewed from this one, but at least I feel like I have something to build on. It also has me looking at LisaC and RandeeWarrior's rides in Strava more closely. Very excited for this!!!!

I'm so glad that TR will work out for you! I like their podcast quite a bit and I totally understand the "provide your own entertainment" philosophy.

2020-04-08 2:15 PM

unless TR is different from the other apps, you should not use erg for your FTP test, so sounds like you did it correctly !

They have the old 8 and 20 minute FTP tests. Now they also have an FTP "ramp" test. I don't know the difference in any of them really, but rather I just decided to pick one and stick with it for a while. On that one, it suggests you do it in ERG mode. But I think that means I am NOT supposed to be shifting through the test?

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006903031-Ramp-...

2020-04-08 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

They have the old 8 and 20 minute FTP tests. Now they also have an FTP "ramp" test. I don't know the difference in any of them really, but rather I just decided to pick one and stick with it for a while. On that one, it suggests you do it in ERG mode. But I think that means I am NOT supposed to be shifting through the test? https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006903031-Ramp-...

interesting! Ive seen ramp tests mentioned but have never looked into them before, they sound almost reasonable! I found this on trainerroad. Looks like they recommend not to shift.

2020-04-08 3:01 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by alaskatri

They have the old 8 and 20 minute FTP tests. Now they also have an FTP "ramp" test. I don't know the difference in any of them really, but rather I just decided to pick one and stick with it for a while. On that one, it suggests you do it in ERG mode. But I think that means I am NOT supposed to be shifting through the test? https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006903031-Ramp-...

interesting! Ive seen ramp tests mentioned but have never looked into them before, they sound almost reasonable! I found this on trainerroad. Looks like they recommend not to shift.

FWIW, I find the ramp test more 'reasonable' in that I don't have to hold a certain level of pain for more than a minute. It still hurts, but it is easier for me mentally. I did the ramp test last year and then didn't really believe it so did the 8min test a couple weeks later, and they were within 2 watts, so I think the ramp is pretty accurate.

2020-04-08 5:14 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

I have been working week on/week off as essential, but trying to reduce workforce in the office at any given time.  I have been assuming that Challenge Almere -Amsterdam (worlds) was going to be canceled or postponed, but saw a message on their FB page that they are planning on moving forward.  I have such mixed feelings!  I want to go.  But working week on/week off, I have been trying to make up extra hours on my "on" weeks, so am very behind in training.  I am also wondering that... even if the race is a go... is it reasonable to consider international travel in September?  I am going to do the best I can for the next month.  I definitely have money lost if I decide not to go, but it's sunk money at this point.  That said, without worlds.... I had nothing else planned for this year.  I am kind of at a loss..

2020-04-09 4:46 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Expert
Illinois
Proof of Life post here. From a training perspective, all of my spring events have been either cancelled or rescheduled to the fall. I'm waiting to hear on an August race and don't have a lot of faith that it will take place. Basically 2020 will just be a year of base training.

I really feel for those of you who are trying to homeschool AND work from home --- it doesn't seem possible to do both. My friends who are in the same boat have expressed feelings of helplessness and frustration, one is looking into using Family Leave Act to get through the school year.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127