BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-06-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by ceilidh A mini Manatee meetup happened yesterday. And Janyne got to see that my Jim is real!
Yay, mini meetup! 

2020-06-04 10:36 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh A mini Manatee meetup happened yesterday. And Janyne got to see that my Jim is real!
Yay, mini meetup! 

2020-06-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We had a great time meeting you and Jim and Raven. Thanks so much for spending the afternoon with us and for taking us to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery.

I mentioned the gravel ride that I did the the parkway (Wash Creek Road) -- from North Mills River Rec Area to the parkway. It was all seated climb on the way up. I rode on the BRP a bit and turned back when I got to a tunnel that required lights.

Today, I road Fletcher Creek Road, also from the Mills River Rec area (but we left from the Spencer Gap parking area rather than the bottom). It was a quiet ride -- 100% gated forest road. It looks like a lot of people may take the single track to Hendersonville Reservoir Road because after that turn off, Fletcher Creek Road was really overgrown.

Photos of both rides in training blog.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-06-04 10:49 AM
2020-06-04 10:54 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Yay, mini meetup! 

We want to know when you are coming down!

2020-06-04 12:27 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Yay, mini meetup! 

If I'd have known you guys were going to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery, I'd have been there! 

2020-06-04 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Yay, mini meetup! 

If I'd have known you guys were going to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery, I'd have been there! 

You know you have a place(s) to stay. Come-on!

2020-06-05 4:38 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

We had a great time meeting you and Jim and Raven. Thanks so much for spending the afternoon with us and for taking us to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery.

I mentioned the gravel ride that I did the the parkway (Wash Creek Road) -- from North Mills River Rec Area to the parkway. It was all seated climb on the way up. I rode on the BRP a bit and turned back when I got to a tunnel that required lights.

Today, I road Fletcher Creek Road, also from the Mills River Rec area (but we left from the Spencer Gap parking area rather than the bottom). It was a quiet ride -- 100% gated forest road. It looks like a lot of people may take the single track to Hendersonville Reservoir Road because after that turn off, Fletcher Creek Road was really overgrown.

Looks like a fun afternoon and so sweet that you were able to meet Robin's family! When I looked at the pics of the overgrown gravel road, I had to wonder what the bug situation is like there? Right now we have the dreaded Buffalo Gnats --- it's about 2 weeks when just stepping outside is a gamble
2020-06-05 8:25 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by abake

Looks like a fun afternoon and so sweet that you were able to meet Robin's family! When I looked at the pics of the overgrown gravel road, I had to wonder what the bug situation is like there? Right now we have the dreaded Buffalo Gnats --- it's about 2 weeks when just stepping outside is a gamble

Buffalo Gnats - what are they, I'm not familiar?  They do not sound pleasant!

2020-06-05 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Like black flies in Michigan? I remember when I was a kid, trying to run around the lake near where my dad grew up, and almost getting eaten alive!
2020-06-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Like black flies in Michigan? I remember when I was a kid, trying to run around the lake near where my dad grew up, and almost getting eaten alive!

Ooooh, that sounds awful! It might be the same insect, or something very similar. They are kind of new in this area --- seems like they showed up about 10 years ago.
2020-06-05 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Buffalo Gnats - what are they, I'm not familiar?  They do not sound pleasant!

Buffalo gnats are mean little buggars --- I think they are actually a fly but are very very small and they usually show up in late May and stick around until it warms up. They are voracious biters and some people (myself included) get huge welts that itch worse than mosquito bites. They also will bite animals and go for the thin skin around the ears where there's not much fur. One of my friends actually has had to go to the ER after being bitten, she gets some kind of anaphalytic (sp?) reaction. Ugh, there's just nothing good about these bugs!

2020-06-05 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Black flies are like that, but bigger. I'd end up covered in purplish welts. They didn't like to bite my dad nearly as much as me. Maybe as I was younger and more tender!
2020-06-05 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No bugs to speak of. We did do a post ride (and post shower) tick check just in case.  Kevin said that he did have some bugs while he was fixing his flat but nothing to speak of really.  FWIW, we forgot to put on bug spray.

2020-06-07 6:07 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

No bugs to speak of. We did do a post ride (and post shower) tick check just in case.  Kevin said that he did have some bugs while he was fixing his flat but nothing to speak of really.  FWIW, we forgot to put on bug spray.

i ran the fastest I have run in a while. I discovered a nest of white faced hornet. They did not get me, but I sure wish I had recorded that run!
2020-06-08 4:43 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

i ran the fastest I have run in a while. I discovered a nest of white faced hornet. They did not get me, but I sure wish I had recorded that run!

OMG how terrifying
2020-06-08 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Another Monday, another meetup opportunity!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

2020-06-08 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh 

My finest workouts used to be on the bike when I was being chased by dogs.  I had the GPS watch on so I got to see my 19.5 MPH just up to 33 MPH for a half-mile.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-06-08 9:05 AM
2020-06-08 10:06 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
LOL mine was being chased by a baby buffalo for several miles in Vietnam. I was doing 25 mph for three or four miles, into a slight headwind, on a mountain bike.
2020-06-08 10:30 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

I won't be able to join today... My kids and I are getting ready for the haircuts in few moments...
Have a great new week and see you next Monday!
Marysia
2020-06-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

I won't be able to join today... My kids and I are getting ready for the haircuts in few moments... Have a great new week and see you next Monday! Marysia

Haircuts are important now! I'm getting mine done tomorrow ;-)

2020-06-08 1:23 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

After 8 months of waiting, I finally got my Kiwami Race Team Kit over the weekend.  When we turned in our forms last October they asked us to put down the date of our first race so they could prioritize and get gear out to the people racing early in the year first.  I knew that by putting June 6th as my first race I was dooming myself to be the last person to get my gear, but I didn't think it would show up on at 11:00 AM on the 6th of June (when my race would have started at about 7:30 AM.). Good thing that race was canceled.  :-)   

I used to value saving money over color coordination, but since my required purchases after the first 2-3 years dropped to about zero and I haven't had anything new for about two years I made sure that everything was blue to stick with the Boy Blue theme.  :-)  When you haven't had anything new in a while you get really excited so thanks for bearing with my excitement.   

P.S.  I didn't know my first 5 years in the sport that there were application processes to get on the triathlon product race teams.  After my last race in September I was looking for goals/plans for 2020 to keep me motivated and enjoying the sport and learned that there were dozens of teams accepting applications for the following year.  I obviously decided to apply for a team and can't believe it took me so long to figure out how these teams work.  :-)

2020-06-08 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Sorry I missed today, I had an appt with the doc. Standard dermatologist appt, she gets her pound of flesh every visit

2020-06-08 3:38 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Sorry I missed today, I had an appt with the doc. Standard dermatologist appt, she gets her pound of flesh every visit

I missed bc of a combo of back in the office everyday and Dr appt. The good news is i am cleared to start working out again! Dr. said don't fo from zero to hero and to expect some swelling, so it will be a slow build back to fitness, but I am thrilled to be off the D/L!

2020-06-09 6:43 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I missed bc of a combo of back in the office everyday and Dr appt. The good news is i am cleared to start working out again! Dr. said don't fo from zero to hero and to expect some swelling, so it will be a slow build back to fitness, but I am thrilled to be off the D/L!

Great news! I'm sure that you're relieved to be given the go ahead to begin training again.

Are you back in the office full time now? I was told that I will be working from home "at least for the next few months."

2020-06-09 6:44 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

There are easier ways to lose weight, you know.

Seriously, I hope that it went well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127