Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by juniperjen

So ... i just got a note that Tremblant is cancelled - finding out it's both the 70.3 and full distances. Sucks! A ton of deferral options for US races and full refund. 

I think i'll take the refund and assess what 2022 looks like. Super bummed. 

Oh no! That's awful!  I mean, they punted it to the fall and now this!  Ugh.

Now I'm reading that the IM contract for Mont Tremblant is in question (expires this year, has not yet been renewed).  That Tremblant may want to do Super League instead?

[/Oh wow, sorry this happened, but I guess I'm not surprised considering the border is still closed. Still it's a bummer for everyone who's been training. Interesting that the contract may not be renewed.   Assuming what you're hearing is true, I wonder why no to IM but yes to Super League? Fewer people, so less impact on residents? 

ETA: I really didn't know anything about Super League - and still don't, but it seems like limited sprint distances races around the globe. 

For sure. I definitely think 'buyer beware' as Penticton, BC found out when they had Challenge take over IM and the numbers tanked. Maybe just a negotiating technique but at the same time Ironman is a very consistent draw with people spending big bucks. I would be sad to see it go as i do really feel it is one of the best destinations races. It's perfectly set up for the volume of people - so many good accommodation options. Really beautiful. Anyway. 

It could be something as simple as Ironman wanting to keep the covid fallout to 2020 and 2021 on their books and a desire to start 2022 with a clean slate, not races filled with deferrals.

ST has  a discussion going about the future of the race. One side says the locals love it, it brings in tons of money and the other says anyone outside of hospitality business are sick of the events and the partial closure of the one fast road going from Quebec to the area. The latter apparently coming from people living in the area. So, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

So maybe it comes down to local approval both this year and moving forward? I mean, they let people attend in-person hockey games in Montreal (inside) but not outside endurance events?  Anyway, it super sucks for those who were signed up.

Definitely stinks for them.

2021-06-22 11:12 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

So ... i just got a note that Tremblant is cancelled - finding out it's both the 70.3 and full distances. Sucks! A ton of deferral options for US races and full refund. 

Now I'm reading that the IM contract for Mont Tremblant is in question (expires this year, has not yet been renewed).  That Tremblant may want to do Super League instead?

[/Oh wow, sorry this happened, but I guess I'm not surprised considering the border is still closed. Still it's a bummer for everyone who's been training. Interesting that the contract may not be renewed.   Assuming what you're hearing is true, I wonder why no to IM but yes to Super League? Fewer people, so less impact on residents? 

ETA: I really didn't know anything about Super League - and still don't, but it seems like limited sprint distances races around the globe. 

For sure. I definitely think 'buyer beware' as Penticton, BC found out when they had Challenge take over IM and the numbers tanked. Maybe just a negotiating technique but at the same time Ironman is a very consistent draw with people spending big bucks. I would be sad to see it go as i do really feel it is one of the best destinations races. It's perfectly set up for the volume of people - so many good accommodation options. Really beautiful. Anyway. 

It could be something as simple as Ironman wanting to keep the covid fallout to 2020 and 2021 on their books and a desire to start 2022 with a clean slate, not races filled with deferrals.

ST has  a discussion going about the future of the race. One side says the locals love it, it brings in tons of money and the other says anyone outside of hospitality business are sick of the events and the partial closure of the one fast road going from Quebec to the area. The latter apparently coming from people living in the area. So, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

So maybe it comes down to local approval both this year and moving forward? I mean, they let people attend in-person hockey games in Montreal (inside) but not outside endurance events?  Anyway, it super sucks for those who were signed up.

I find the locals business interesting because many towns and cities have the same issue. Apparently many locals in Kona hate the IMWC and we heard that in Penticton when we went for IMC in 2007 but when it was actually gone it did make a difference to the town. My sister used to live in cottage country here and she got used to just not bothering to grocery shopping on the weekends, because there's no point in getting upset about it in the summer time. Some people are grumpy no matter what. I also live in a big city where there are usually big festivals and events all summer long and someone has to complain and having grown up in a small town i say 'go live in one of the town where nothing ever happpens' 

Tremblant is a tourist destination - there's not much there not for the ski hill and environs.  There are events there every weekend in the summer plus it's a busy ski hill in the winter. There's a big yoga fest, 24-hour mountain bike event, a jazz fest. The only different for IM is the partial highway closure. And it's not even that long. It's a two loop course that uses one side of a divided highway for only part of it. I know when i did the full we went up for a training weekend and Tremblant has been working to make itself a training destination for triathletes. 

2021-06-22 2:38 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

I find the locals business interesting because many towns and cities have the same issue. Apparently many locals in Kona hate the IMWC and we heard that in Penticton when we went for IMC in 2007 but when it was actually gone it did make a difference to the town. My sister used to live in cottage country here and she got used to just not bothering to grocery shopping on the weekends, because there's no point in getting upset about it in the summer time. Some people are grumpy no matter what. I also live in a big city where there are usually big festivals and events all summer long and someone has to complain and having grown up in a small town i say 'go live in one of the town where nothing ever happpens' 

Tremblant is a tourist destination - there's not much there not for the ski hill and environs.  There are events there every weekend in the summer plus it's a busy ski hill in the winter. There's a big yoga fest, 24-hour mountain bike event, a jazz fest. The only different for IM is the partial highway closure. And it's not even that long. It's a two loop course that uses one side of a divided highway for only part of it. I know when i did the full we went up for a training weekend and Tremblant has been working to make itself a training destination for triathletes. 

We live in a similar town. Pretty small town, but right on a world class fishing destination river. So we get a pretty big influx of people in the summer, especially in July. The locals tend to dislike all of the people coming in, the crowds, the trash left behind, etc. They tend to especially dislike all of the folks that come down from the big city (Anchorage). But I think it's pretty good for businesses - we have a ton of tourist led businesses here - and we have local sales tax so it provides a revenue stream for the communities here. I used to live up in the big city and came down here every summer for exactly the same reasons, so I have a pretty high tolerance level for "those people" given that I used to be one of them. If you can embrace the positives of what these types of events bring to your community, things are good. If you are someone who only sees the negative and wants to keep your community quiet and to yourself, it generally leads to pretty poor attitude towards it all.

2021-06-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Triathlon is interesting and its own community. I had posted on the Triathlon Canada Magazine instagram that i was super bummed about the races. I got a DM from a girl I used to swim with and follow on strava and all that and she gave me some of the inside scoop about what might be going on with IMMT and it sounds like a bunch of stuff that really matters to the people who put it on and is a bit irrelevant to the general racing, AG triathlete. But i am sure every sport or hobby has it's own community and politics that go along with it. 

But it does sound like it might be coming back as a Challenge race. So we'll see.

2021-06-23 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Triathlon is interesting and its own community. I had posted on the Triathlon Canada Magazine instagram that i was super bummed about the races. I got a DM from a girl I used to swim with and follow on strava and all that and she gave me some of the inside scoop about what might be going on with IMMT and it sounds like a bunch of stuff that really matters to the people who put it on and is a bit irrelevant to the general racing, AG triathlete. But i am sure every sport or hobby has it's own community and politics that go along with it. 

But it does sound like it might be coming back as a Challenge race. So we'll see.

Hmm, my first take away from this is that IM treats the local RD poorly, so s/he doesn't want to deal with IM going forward, but now I don't think that is how it works if IM "owns" that race!  In any event, if there is a change to Challenge I hope people support the race similarly as they did IM.  

2021-06-23 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hmm, my first take away from this is that IM treats the local RD poorly, so s/he doesn't want to deal with IM going forward, but now I don't think that is how it works if IM "owns" that race!  In any event, if there is a change to Challenge I hope people support the race similarly as they did IM.  

Agree and it is along that line. I think a non-IM brand half can do well but i am very worried for a full-distance. And that is based on Penticton's experience. And that's why i made the comment about the inside stuff that the average age-grouper doesn't care about. If you're on Slowtwitch you would think that people are leaving IM brand like crazy but that's not true at all. 

2021-06-23 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Agree and it is along that line. I think a non-IM brand half can do well but i am very worried for a full-distance. And that is based on Penticton's experience. And that's why i made the comment about the inside stuff that the average age-grouper doesn't care about. If you're on Slowtwitch you would think that people are leaving IM brand like crazy but that's not true at all. 

Agree- most AGers love IM and all they bring to long course racing. I mean what other company get thousands of people to brand themselves with the company logo

2021-06-23 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No, some beginners don't think anything not IM brand is worth it. I had some very positive experiences at some of the non branded events and negative experiences at one of the branded events. Branded isn't always better and non branded isn't always worse.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to see and independent Vineman and and independent B2B back.  I did not have a chance to do Cheasapeakeman and I'm sorry for that.

2021-06-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

No, some beginners don't think anything not IM brand is worth it. I had some very positive experiences at some of the non branded events and negative experiences at one of the branded events. Branded isn't always better and non branded isn't always worse....

I have done three non-IM 70.3 races and two IM 70.3 races.   I agree that some of the IM races are great, some of the IM races are not great and that the same goes for the non-IM races. 

I did one race in 2017 and hated it.  The bike course was on roads that had more potholes than they did pavement in some areas.  The race team did a great job of spraypainting 56 miles of road with orange paint so you knew where all the trouble spots were well in advance and could weave to dodge the potholes, but it was not a fun bike ride and was more of a workout than a race.  I did the same race two years later and the roads were all newly paved and I had more fun at that race than any other one I had done before.  So my least favorite race and my favorite races were the same races on different years.  With wind, rain, heat, humidity, etc all being factors that a race company and an RD can't plan for I think that any race can be awesome or a disaster regardless of who is putting on the races.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2021-06-24 9:04 AM
2021-06-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

No, some beginners don't think anything not IM brand is worth it. I had some very positive experiences at some of the non branded events and negative experiences at one of the branded events. Branded isn't always better and non branded isn't always worse.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to see and independent Vineman and and independent B2B back.  I did not have a chance to do Cheasapeakeman and I'm sorry for that.

B2B was probably going to be my first 140.6 and then IM bought it and killed it off! So, I did L-ville instead and got hypothermia. Coincidence ? I think not

Miamiman was my first 70.3. It was a fun race, but b/c of its location west of Miami in more of a farmland area itdidn't have the excitement you get when all the racers take over a city. REV3 70.3 Venice had more of that feel. I really appreciated how accommodating the REV3 people were, eg. my brothers were doing the race and couldn't make it in town for bike check in and were allowed to check in race morning no problem. And no problem getting someone to respond to emails. That is the opposite of my experience with IM! But, so far my favorite 70.3/140.6 is Chattanooga.   

2021-06-25 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 26-27
Anne - Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder (MI)
Melanie - Steelman Racing Nockamixon Swim Challenge

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-06-25 3:24 PM

Racing Manatees!!!

June 26-27

Dooo eeettt!!!

Charity golf tournament on Saturday and hopefully chasing halibut on Sunday.
2021-06-25 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It is supposed to be triple digits here tomorrow and 112 on Sunday (absolutely unheard of here--it would be an all-time record by several degrees) so I am just planning to keep cool. Due to the anticipated heat wave, I got both my weekend long workouts done over the past two days (after a hard double on Wednesday) so I could use a break! I think that is more combined duration and intensity than I have done since my early 20's. I feel pretty good....now. Tonight may be a different story once the endorphins and caffeinated gu wear off!

Might do an easy swim or short ride but most of my weekend plans involve iced coffee, cats, and spy novels.
2021-06-25 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Racing Manatees!!!

June 26-27

Dooo eeettt!!!

Charity golf tournament on Saturday and hopefully chasing halibut on Sunday.

Have fun with both!

2021-06-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner It is supposed to be triple digits here tomorrow and 112 on Sunday (absolutely unheard of here--it would be an all-time record by several degrees) so I am just planning to keep cool. Due to the anticipated heat wave, I got both my weekend long workouts done over the past two days (after a hard double on Wednesday) so I could use a break! I think that is more combined duration and intensity than I have done since my early 20's. I feel pretty good....now. Tonight may be a different story once the endorphins and caffeinated gu wear off! Might do an easy swim or short ride but most of my weekend plans involve iced coffee, cats, and spy novels.

I know the CdA people have been a bit vocal about the temperatures in the PNW.

I'm sure that you nailed the workouts. Now nail the recovery!

2021-06-25 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 26-27

Dooo eeettt!!!

Go Anne and Melanie!!

I'm just doing normal weekend stuff.

2021-06-25 9:07 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

June 26-27

Dooo eeettt!!!

Good luck racers!
2021-06-26 5:17 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sure that many of you already saw this but Jen Stewart was on a group ride today and was rear ended by and SUV.  She is mostly OK.  Her new bike is totaled. 

2021-06-28 9:06 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm sure that many of you already saw this but Jen Stewart was on a group ride today and was rear ended by and SUV.  She is mostly OK.  Her new bike is totaled. 

Oh crap, that's horrible!!  I had not seen the news, I'll be sure to check in with her.  Dang, so glad she is OK.

2021-06-28 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yikes! No, hadn't seen it but am happy she is mostly ok. Sorry the new bike is ruined though.

2021-06-28 1:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

My swim went well yesterday, it felt good to be in a normal racing environment without masks and with spectators!

2021-06-28 1:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

My swim went well yesterday, it felt good to be in a normal racing environment without masks and with spectators!

Nice!  It sounded like you had a good time -- I saw something on Facebook or Strava or somewhere... Your time in the water must be paying off!

2021-06-28 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Oh no, so sorry to hear this.
2021-06-28 3:21 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
DH Steve, our friend Mike, and I did the Michigan Gravel Coast Loop on Sunday. This was a deferred event from 2019 and I wasn't really feeling excited about driving 7 hours, but am glad I went. Had to be the most beautiful course I've ever been on --- mix of hard packed sandy roads, fire roads and singletrack in the Manistee National Forest near Ludington, MI. It was drizzly but somehow that felt appropriate for the setting.

I missed a podium spot by about 5 minutes but am good with that --- we dawdled a bit at the checkpoint. The race finished at a beach on Lake Michigan and it felt great to wade out into that cold water to wash off the sand and cool the legs down a bit afterwards.

Here's a pic of DH -- this was typical scenery for much of the ride. Almost no traffic!

(208642366_10225081873223744_5058742902476356656_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
208642366_10225081873223744_5058742902476356656_n.jpg (113KB - 4 downloads)
2021-06-28 4:39 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by abake DH Steve, our friend Mike, and I did the Michigan Gravel Coast Loop on Sunday. This was a deferred event from 2019 and I wasn't really feeling excited about driving 7 hours, but am glad I went. Had to be the most beautiful course I've ever been on --- mix of hard packed sandy roads, fire roads and singletrack in the Manistee National Forest near Ludington, MI. It was drizzly but somehow that felt appropriate for the setting. I missed a podium spot by about 5 minutes but am good with that --- we dawdled a bit at the checkpoint. The race finished at a beach on Lake Michigan and it felt great to wade out into that cold water to wash off the sand and cool the legs down a bit afterwards. Here's a pic of DH -- this was typical scenery for much of the ride. Almost no traffic!

Wow, beautiful indeed, and wading into a cool lake at the end is a big bonus!  Congrats on a good race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74