Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-06-28 6:45 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by abake DH Steve, our friend Mike, and I did the Michigan Gravel Coast Loop on Sunday. This was a deferred event from 2019 and I wasn't really feeling excited about driving 7 hours, but am glad I went. Had to be the most beautiful course I've ever been on --- mix of hard packed sandy roads, fire roads and singletrack in the Manistee National Forest near Ludington, MI. It was drizzly but somehow that felt appropriate for the setting. I missed a podium spot by about 5 minutes but am good with that --- we dawdled a bit at the checkpoint. The race finished at a beach on Lake Michigan and it felt great to wade out into that cold water to wash off the sand and cool the legs down a bit afterwards. Here's a pic of DH -- this was typical scenery for much of the ride. Almost no traffic!

Wow, that sounds amazing! 

2021-06-28 7:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm sure that many of you already saw this but Jen Stewart was on a group ride today and was rear ended by and SUV.  She is mostly OK.  Her new bike is totaled. 

Yikes! No, hadn't seen it but am happy she is mostly ok. Sorry the new bike is ruined though.

Thank you for all of the good thoughts.  My poor bike was snapped in two

(IMG_5156.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_5156.jpg (2216KB - 6 downloads)
2021-06-28 8:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Beautiful part of Michigan. My dad grew up near there and his sister (my aunt) and several cousins lived in Ludington. My uncle and dad owned some land near (in? I think our family claim pre-dated the national forest so it was actually within the boundaries) the national forest and I did many runs on those dirt and gravel roads as a teenager. Hope the bug life didn't bother you too much!
2021-06-28 8:20 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes! I hope you were able to hold the driver responsible and maybe their insurance can pay for a replacement? Glad you are okay!
2021-06-28 9:12 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
WOW, you go dark for a few days and everything happens.

Ludington is a beautiful area. That is one of the nicest sections of lake Michigan. The weather wasn't very cooperative for you, but it beats 80 F 90% humidity.

Jen that is so scary. I'm glad you are ok. The diver's insurance should cover it. It not then your auto of home owners will. I hope the police cited the driver.
2021-06-29 5:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Beautiful part of Michigan. My dad grew up near there and his sister (my aunt) and several cousins lived in Ludington. My uncle and dad owned some land near (in? I think our family claim pre-dated the national forest so it was actually within the boundaries) the national forest and I did many runs on those dirt and gravel roads as a teenager. Hope the bug life didn't bother you too much!

What a great place to live and train in --- as long as we kept moving, the bugs were not an issue but I did notice that as soon as we stopped, there were small gnats swarming around. We have those in Illinois as well, so it wasn't too much of a surprise.

2021-06-29 5:10 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by jenstewey

I'm sure that many of you already saw this but Jen Stewart was on a group ride today and was rear ended by and SUV.  She is mostly OK.  Her new bike is totaled. 

Yikes! No, hadn't seen it but am happy she is mostly ok. Sorry the new bike is ruined though.

That is so sad and frightening to look at
2021-06-29 6:10 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake DH Steve, our friend Mike, and I did the Michigan Gravel Coast Loop on Sunday. This was a deferred event from 2019 and I wasn't really feeling excited about driving 7 hours, but am glad I went. Had to be the most beautiful course I've ever been on --- mix of hard packed sandy roads, fire roads and singletrack in the Manistee National Forest near Ludington, MI. It was drizzly but somehow that felt appropriate for the setting. I missed a podium spot by about 5 minutes but am good with that --- we dawdled a bit at the checkpoint. The race finished at a beach on Lake Michigan and it felt great to wade out into that cold water to wash off the sand and cool the legs down a bit afterwards. Here's a pic of DH -- this was typical scenery for much of the ride. Almost no traffic!

Oh my gosh, that looks like fun!

2021-06-29 6:15 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella WOW, you go dark for a few days and everything happens. Ludington is a beautiful area. That is one of the nicest sections of lake Michigan. The weather wasn't very cooperative for you, but it beats 80 F 90% humidity. Jen that is so scary. I'm glad you are ok. The diver's insurance should cover it. It not then your auto of home owners will. I hope the police cited the driver.

If you bring your bike to the shop, they may be willing to deal with the insurance inspector types on your behalf.

2021-06-29 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jenstewey

Wow, that is crazy! Read your blog and am glad the woman stopped and stayed with you, but man you are lucky not to be more injured (which i know you know!)

2021-06-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I don't know how time gets away from me and then I miss 4 pages of stuff!

Yay for new puppies and good gravel & swims.

Jen, I'm so glad you're ok, but so sorry about the bike.

My MTB lesson with Shanna P. in Pisgah in early June was really good. We did 3 hours of basics in a field (stopping, turns, front & rear wheel lifts, manuals, track stands, drops and bunny hops over objects. I have a LOT to practice.

We then rode to the trails and my eyes bugged out of my head. I'm used to about 90 feet of climbing per mile of trail, but we covered 600 feet in under 2 miles over rooty double track. And then it was time to go downhill! I was rolling over a little rock drop & my front wheel slipped off and down I went. Bike has a lovely gash (just paint, no carbon damage) from bouncing off the rock and both wrists were super sore, but we still had 2 miles to the bottom. It was the steepies, rootiest, droppiest trail I've ever ridden, but I got it done and sessioned a few sessions.

But as the week progressed, my wrists swelled and then I developed horrible pain in my upper left chest. Chiro & exercise physio appt 5 days later, which revealed the wrist was not broken and I had a pretty severe pull of a deep pec muscle.

3 weeks later, left wrist is about 85% (I can ride if I KT tape it) and pec is still sore after rides, but good enough.

My 1st mtb ride back was a mess. I was so protective of what hurt and didn't trust my front tire anymore.

Bought an air compressor & swapped tires back out to the old ones & mtb ride #2 was much better.

Now it's time to finally start practicing.

2021-07-01 8:09 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Pennsylvania

Nancy - sorry to hear what started as a great MTB class ended in injuries and a loss of confidence.  Here's wishing you speedy healing and getting back to it to put the wheel demons to bed.  Take care.

2021-07-01 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs I don't know how time gets away from me and then I miss 4 pages of stuff! Yay for new puppies and good gravel & swims. Jen, I'm so glad you're ok, but so sorry about the bike. My MTB lesson with Shanna P. in Pisgah in early June was really good. We did 3 hours of basics in a field (stopping, turns, front & rear wheel lifts, manuals, track stands, drops and bunny hops over objects. I have a LOT to practice. We then rode to the trails and my eyes bugged out of my head. I'm used to about 90 feet of climbing per mile of trail, but we covered 600 feet in under 2 miles over rooty double track. And then it was time to go downhill! I was rolling over a little rock drop & my front wheel slipped off and down I went. Bike has a lovely gash (just paint, no carbon damage) from bouncing off the rock and both wrists were super sore, but we still had 2 miles to the bottom. It was the steepies, rootiest, droppiest trail I've ever ridden, but I got it done and sessioned a few sessions. But as the week progressed, my wrists swelled and then I developed horrible pain in my upper left chest. Chiro & exercise physio appt 5 days later, which revealed the wrist was not broken and I had a pretty severe pull of a deep pec muscle. 3 weeks later, left wrist is about 85% (I can ride if I KT tape it) and pec is still sore after rides, but good enough. My 1st mtb ride back was a mess. I was so protective of what hurt and didn't trust my front tire anymore. Bought an air compressor & swapped tires back out to the old ones & mtb ride #2 was much better. Now it's time to finally start practicing.

Oh boy, that was some class! Sorry about the injury and untrustworthy front tire!

2021-07-01 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

*sneaks in quietly and sits in the back*

2021-07-02 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nancy, sorry to hear about the off bike incident. I'm glad to hear that you are mostly recovered. 

2021-07-02 7:37 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Howdy, TJ!

2021-07-02 7:39 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 3-4
Janyne - Firecracker 100k ride on Sunday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Continued good thoughts for Jen as she deals with the fallout from the hit by car episode.

Good thoughts for Lisa as she continues her radiation treatments.

2021-07-02 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was suprised to see the news about Sha’Carri Richardson this morning.  Even *I* know that marijuana is a banned substance.  One would think that a potential Olympian would know better than that.

X

2021-07-02 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 3-4

Dooo eeettt!!!

Continued good thoughts for Jen as she deals with the fallout from the hit by car episode.

Go Janyne go!

x2 on the healing and good thoughts for Jen and Lisa.

And, hello TJ!

2021-07-02 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I was suprised to see the news about Sha’Carri Richardson this morning.  Even *I* know that marijuana is a banned substance.  One would think that a potential Olympian would know better than that.

X

Saw her on the Today show. She said she knew the rules etc and accepts the responsibility. Apparently, right before the trials she heard about her mother's death from a tv report ( or maybe her agent, I missed something) and that with some other pressures she made the decision to use pot to help cope. Said she is human. Sad story.

2021-07-02 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Saw her on the Today show. She said she knew the rules etc and accepts the responsibility. Apparently, right before the trials she heard about her mother's death from a tv report ( or maybe her agent, I missed something) and that with some other pressures she made the decision to use pot to help cope. Said she is human. Sad story.

Yes, it is :-/

2021-07-02 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yes, it is :-/

That's unfortunate. I was looking forward to seeing her go up against Fraser-Pryce.

2021-07-02 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

July 3-4

Dooo eeettt!!!

Go Janyne go!

x2 on the healing and good thoughts for Jen and Lisa.

And, hello TJ!

Go Janyne! That sounds like a fun race!

2021-07-02 12:27 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

July 3-4

Dooo eeettt!!!

Firecracker ride sounds fun!
Thanks for the encouragement friends - heading out for radiation session #3 as we speak. Hope everyone has a great weekend 

2021-07-02 2:14 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

*ruining the sneaky entrance* HI TJ!!!!  WELCOME BACK TO THE POD!!!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74