BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-06-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Originally posted by fortissimo

I did Santa Rosa in 2018 so that I could swim under the amazing bridge.

They cancelled the swim.

I signed up for Oregon because I wanted to do a river swim.

If they cancel the swim, it's my fault.

I had the Choo swim cancelled on me so I'll take part of the OR blame

Btw, I'm sorry you were sick on vacation. Do you have an epi pen? If it's a shellfish allergy that's really scary! Hope you figured it out and that's the end of it!

2022-06-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner No....Rain AGAIN! This is the fourth rainy weekend in a row. Starting to go insane (actually that ship sailed long ago!) School's out, though. One student down with Covid for the last week of school; another went home sick with 45 minutes to go on the last day--came in from recess and said he needed to lie down. One of my livest live wires, so if he says he's sick, it's major. Poor kid. It was his last recess ever (moving on to middle school). Another threw up in the final 5 minutes but her mom claims it was food poisoning. OMG. Good we are out. For what it's worth, 27 months into the pandemic, my workplace actually gifted me two free Covid test kits. This is the first time I have been offered such a thing. Feeling healthy so far, though. I will test if I don't. I believe I am now the only staff member who hasn't (to my knowledge) gotten Covid. (Knock on wood....) Quite possibly have had it, possibly multiple times, but have never noticed any symptoms that I don't normally get with seasonal allergies, or noticed any abnormal heart rate, fatigue, etc. during training. Who knows?! Raining torrentially now. If I knew a dance to stop it, I would, for you IM Oregon people!

That's some kinda wrap up for the Kids portion of the year!

2022-06-20 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo We got back from our St Thomas/St Croix trip on Wednesday morning at 3:00 am. My goal for the trip was to train like usual, but swim in the ocean instead of the pool. Didn't happen because I got what I thought was food poisoning the second day we were there. I'm now suspecting it was an allergy to something I ate. I had grouper encrusted in crab on Sunday night. Next morning was okay, but I got worse during the day. I will spare you all the details. Tuesday morning was a bit better, but Tuesday afternoon was not good. I woke up Wednesday feeling 100% normal so we went to St Johns for the day. I stayed away from fish for the rest of the vacation, but I noticed anytime there was shellfish on the menu at a restaurant, I would start feeling ill after eating again. My husband noticed that the french fries tasted like fish. My sister put two and two together and asked one restaurants if they cooked the other food in the same oil/grill that they did the shellfish. Yep. They said everyone did. Of course we only had a few days left of our trip before we figured it out. But at least those few days I was fine. I am 100% sure it's an allergy because the way I felt after eating was how I feel after I did when taking Aleve before we discovered that I was allergic to the Naproxen in Aleve.

Ugh! What a bummer of a vacation :-(

2022-06-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001
Originally posted by jmkizer

No known racers this week

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

No race for me this week but I did the local "Tour De Blueberry" with about 600 of my closest friends. Great event! They have multiple distances. I did 66 miles (closer to 67) and met a lot of nice people. I rode with a woman from Illinois. She was down visiting her son and decided to sign up last minute. It was hot but fun!

I've heard that it's a nice ride! WE WANT PICTURES!

2022-06-20 11:58 AM

Originally posted by fortissimo

We got back from our St Thomas/St Croix trip on Wednesday morning at 3:00 am. My goal for the trip was to train like usual, but swim in the ocean instead of the pool.

Didn't happen because I got what I thought was food poisoning the second day we were there. I'm now suspecting it was an allergy to something I ate. I had grouper encrusted in crab on Sunday night. Next morning was okay, but I got worse during the day. I will spare you all the details. Tuesday morning was a bit better, but Tuesday afternoon was not good. I woke up Wednesday feeling 100% normal so we went to St Johns for the day.

I stayed away from fish for the rest of the vacation, but I noticed anytime there was shellfish on the menu at a restaurant, I would start feeling ill after eating again. My husband noticed that the french fries tasted like fish. My sister put two and two together and asked one restaurants if they cooked the other food in the same oil/grill that they did the shellfish. Yep. They said everyone did.

Of course we only had a few days left of our trip before we figured it out. But at least those few days I was fine.

I am 100% sure it's an allergy because the way I felt after eating was how I feel after I did when taking Aleve before we discovered that I was allergic to the Naproxen in Aleve.

Very sorry to hear about your vacation. Adult onset allergies are definitely a thing.

My wife's favorite food used to be crab legs. We'd have them a couple times a year on special occasions. Then she developed a shellfish allergy. Her throat got really sore and started to close up one night after some Chinese food that had Oyster sauce in it and ended up at the hospital. She wasn't huge into shellfish other than crab legs, so we honestly kinda forgot about it. A few years later I had a day off and decided to make gumbo. I didn't think she would eat it because she's not a huge gumbo person, but I didn't make it spicy just in case. That night she dipped a spoon in the broth and took a tiny lick of it. She then started complaining about how hot it was - it was pretty dramatic and I was saying that's ridiculous, and even added a ton of cayenne and spices to it since I knew now she wasn't go to eat it. She came back in the kitchen about 15 mins later and said "I think something is really wrong - did you use shrimp in it"?

We really had forgotten about the shellfish allergy, and I made the gumbo from some shrimp broth that I had made from the tails of the shrimp that day. One tiny lick on the spoon and we were headed to the hospital at about 90+ mph with an epi-pen in hand (we lived up in the hills out of town at the time, so an ambulance would've taken longer). We even pulled over at one point and discussed using the epi-pen, but ultimately decided not to (doctor later told us we should have just done it, no harm in doing so other than the needle). We didn't get pulled over, but I figured I'd have a good excuse if we did.

Definitely something to be cognizant of moving forward. We typically don't have any shellfish in the house any more, and I eat Asian food and shrimp/crab when I am traveling for work to keep it all away from her.
2022-06-20 12:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas

There are two races in October I am interested in, but there are no races on my calendar at the moment.

I skipped the running group's Saturday morning run this week to get in a longer bike ride with the local Tri Club.  My longest ride of the year had been about 35 miles.  I did 45 miles on Saturday which was possibly too much too soon.  It was all at a really easy pace but I got a crick in my back that evening so I may have overdone things. I am going into a build phase for the next month or two or three.  

2022-06-20 12:51 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

There are two races in October I am interested in, but there are no races on my calendar at the moment.

I skipped the running group's Saturday morning run this week to get in a longer bike ride with the local Tri Club.  My longest ride of the year had been about 35 miles.  I did 45 miles on Saturday which was possibly too much too soon.  It was all at a really easy pace but I got a crick in my back that evening so I may have overdone things. I am going into a build phase for the next month or two or three. 

Oh, races on the horizon! Could be fun!

Take care on the build.

2022-06-20 3:32 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Oh, races on the horizon! Could be fun!

Take care on the build.

Ya...I have the same problem with the Tri Club on Saturday morning group training as I do with the running club on Saturday morning group training.  The running group is all training for Marathons and the Tri Club is all training for 70.3 or 140.6 triathlons.   I am training for 5k's-10K's and  Sprint - Olympic distance triathlons.  So when I go with the group I always end up going longer that what I need for the week.  :-)

2022-06-20 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sounds like weekend masters swim for me. Somehow ended up swimming 4700m on Saturday..... I kept thinking, "No fair, this is even longer than Ironman!" But I tend to always just finish the workout if I can.
2022-06-20 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
FYI it did NOT rain in Oregon today, at least locally.(I live about 60 miles south of Salem, where IM Oregon is). The Willamette is still higher than normal for this time of year but definitely down from last week. (I'm upriver from Salem, so it should be lower there.) No rain forecast for the next week or so. Things are looking up for you racers!
2022-06-21 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner FYI it did NOT rain in Oregon today, at least locally.(I live about 60 miles south of Salem, where IM Oregon is). The Willamette is still higher than normal for this time of year but definitely down from last week. (I'm upriver from Salem, so it should be lower there.) No rain forecast for the next week or so. Things are looking up for you racers!

Thanks, Karen! This is one of the great things about our group! Boots on the ground. It's all well and good for someone on the other side of the country to say, well, the forecast looks good. It's a completely different thing to hear from someone relatively local!

2022-06-21 8:23 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sounds like weekend masters swim for me. Somehow ended up swimming 4700m on Saturday..... I kept thinking, "No fair, this is even longer than Ironman!" But I tend to always just finish the workout if I can.

Yep.  :-)

2022-06-23 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 25-26
Anne - Michigan Coast to Coast 100-mile gravel
Ann-Marie and Janyne - Friday BRP Mini Meet

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2022-06-24 9:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
ok so everyone see the news on CDA?!

We were planning on doing it in 2024 - that was supposed to be year 3 of the 3 year rotation between CDA, St George, and a 3rd location that was never named.

The Mayor clearly does not want CDA - but the rest of the town likes the money it brings.

SO......anyone else thinking about doing it? It's one of those great races that may not be back for a long while.....if I had known it was coming in 2023 I probably would not have signed up for AZ. DAMN YOU IRONMAN!
2022-06-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Cypress, Texas

Ya, I saw the announcement.   It won't change any of my race plans.  My plan for my first few years in the sport were to do one (1) destination race every other year.  I have pretty much stuck to that.  In 2016 I did St George 70.3, in 2018 I did Boulder 70.3, in 2020 I was going to do AG National in Milwaukee but that got canceled.  In 2022 I did the Kiwami Team Camp in Tempe, AZ for my "destination event". 

Every year I make a list of all the races I want to do.  The past few years they have been about 25-30 races on the list.  Yes, I want to do them all.  CDA would a good one.   

2022-06-26 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
It's been Michigan hot this weekend and crazy wind. I am looking forward to Anne's report. I have heard some good things about the ride this year.

2022-06-27 5:43 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I paid the money, so it looks Like I'm doing the Paul Bunyon Challenge on Sunday Oly distance tri.
2022-06-27 7:50 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I saw this today....

(Screenshot_20220627-205338_Instagram.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot_20220627-205338_Instagram.jpg (1384KB - 13 downloads)
2022-06-28 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I paid the money, so it looks Like I'm doing the Paul Bunyon Challenge on Sunday Oly distance tri.

Nice! It's a great name! I hope they have awesome swag!

2022-06-28 5:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I saw this today....

How awesome is that "art project!"

2022-06-29 1:56 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I saw this today....

How awesome is that "art project!"

Haha I love it!

2022-06-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
I hope everyone will have a great long weekend! I'll be gone for a while, thus, wanted to say HI and wish everyone a nice and sunny 4th
2022-06-29 3:28 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83 I hope everyone will have a great long weekend! I'll be gone for a while, thus, wanted to say HI and wish everyone a nice and sunny 4th

Enjoy!

2022-07-01 8:49 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by marysia83 I hope everyone will have a great long weekend! I'll be gone for a while, thus, wanted to say HI and wish everyone a nice and sunny 4th

Enjoy!

Happy weekend!!
2022-07-01 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Enjoy!

Happy weekend!!

Happy long weekend to all in North America! We gloriously have no real plans after a crazy May and June full of lovely socializing and plenty of kid activities. 

Now that the weather has improve and races are back I am having some FOMO - I have primarily doing at home strength workouts and enjoying it a lot. The last few weeks i've gotten up early and gotten out to casually ride with a friend. I got a SUP for my birthday and have taken that out for a cruise on the river near me. So life is good. But what about tri??? 

I've been having lots of ongoing conversations with myself about what i want. Today i am about to register for a sprint-ish distance at the end of the summer but also trying figure out a reasonable training load while still managing all the life stuff including 3 weeks of vacation. I am sure i keep my expectations low I can do it. I just really haven't been doing ANY of the trisports with any sort of regularity in several months but i am excited by the prospect. Can I do it? Probably. Should I??

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 26978 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93