BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-01-19 4:57 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by jmkizer

FYI, this appears to work now (I did get an order confirmation).  I think this is instead of covidtests.gov?

https://special.usps.com/testkits

(edited to make the link clickable)

Thanks for the link! Ordered and hoped not needed!!

ETA: I have 2 boxes (so 4 tests) that I bought when they were actually available as well as the PCR test kit that Novavax gave me when I signed up for the trial, so when these come I will be well and truly covered!

Damn you. I now am a wordle addict.

Yes! I'm so happy someone else has joined me in the addiction

me too. **sigh**

Manatee Wordle! I completed it already today. 

I enjoy it, too, but got busy and missed a few days.  Today is done with a win!

Today in 3.
abd another 3 today. It is the dirst time in over a year I could "run" 3 miles!

Great progress!!!

2022-01-19 5:23 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

FYI, this appears to work now (I did get an order confirmation).  I think this is instead of covidtests.gov?

https://special.usps.com/testkits

(edited to make the link clickable)

Thanks for the link! Ordered and hoped not needed!!

ETA: I have 2 boxes (so 4 tests) that I bought when they were actually available as well as the PCR test kit that Novavax gave me when I signed up for the trial, so when these come I will be well and truly covered!

Damn you. I now am a wordle addict.

Yes! I'm so happy someone else has joined me in the addiction

me too. **sigh**

Manatee Wordle! I completed it already today. 

I enjoy it, too, but got busy and missed a few days.  Today is done with a win!

Today in 3.
abd another 3 today. It is the dirst time in over a year I could "run" 3 miles!

Great progress!!!

yay!

2022-01-19 7:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by alaskatri Well, the inevitable happened. My kid has COVID. We all mask and are vaxxed, but she is by far the diligent one of the family, quite often to the point of irrationality where we have to talk her off the ledge re what others are doing. "You just do you, that's all you can worry about," those sorts of talks. Numbers going way up here though, my wife teaches at a pretty small school, and they are about to go remote b/c such a high percentage of staff is out. The rest of the family is currently negative, but we'll see if that holds.

Sorry your daughter is sick and hope her symptoms are mild and resolve quickly. This virus is wiley!

Damn. I am sotry. I hope she recovers easily and soon.

Edited by ceilidh 2022-01-20 5:46 AM
2022-01-20 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
2022-01-20 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by alaskatri Well, the inevitable happened. My kid has COVID. We all mask and are vaxxed, but she is by far the diligent one of the family, quite often to the point of irrationality where we have to talk her off the ledge re what others are doing. "You just do you, that's all you can worry about," those sorts of talks. Numbers going way up here though, my wife teaches at a pretty small school, and they are about to go remote b/c such a high percentage of staff is out. The rest of the family is currently negative, but we'll see if that holds.

Sorry your daughter is sick and hope her symptoms are mild and resolve quickly. This virus is wiley!

Damn. I am sotry. I hope she recovers easily and soon.

x2 - Similar happened with my in laws who live in NS. My 16 year old niece had been quite terrified of it (the moved to NS last summer and she was to the point that she wouldn't hug us even though we were vaccinated and they were moving across the country and we would see them for at least a year) but 3 out of the 4 of them had it over the break - seemed not too bad but it's hard when they feel so diligent. But it's the things about a virus - it doesn't care. We do our best. 

2022-01-20 10:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Infinit fans, their BOGO sale is today(buy one, get one 50% off)

WOOT!

(having said that, I haven't done any long races in a long time LOL Do I need it?)

2022-01-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Who's headed to Rwanda!

https://www.ironman.com/im703-rwanda

or Maine!
https://www.ironman.com/im703-maine?_ga=2.218529881.1760795434.16426...

We would actually have considered Maine but we have a lot going on in July so maybe 2023!

FYI the Maine swim is in a river.....I don't think many people swim there. That'll be one to watch!
2022-01-20 12:04 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. She's doing ok so far. A lot of coughing, but propping up with a lot of pillows to sleep seems to help. Overall she doesn't feel too terrible. She's holed up in her room doing art and some schoolwork. I picked up a book from a friend of hers last night, so she's got plenty to do.

My wife and I both tested again yesterday. I went first when I had a break at work. I was surprised when I hadn't seen the e-mail results within an hour or two like I had the day before, and I told my wife that. She went later in the day and texted me that "they forgot to inform ou that they were not doing the rapid tests today because they are short staffed because of covid." Oh the irony. So those results go out to a lab and take a couple days.
2022-01-20 12:34 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

WOOT! (having said that, I haven't done any long races in a long time LOL Do I need it?)

You only need Infinit if it's a part of your nutrition plan. I know that some Manatees (Lisa?) use Infinit and I have used it in the past.  My results were mixed. 

2022-01-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Thanks for the well wishes everyone. She's doing ok so far. A lot of coughing, but propping up with a lot of pillows to sleep seems to help. Overall she doesn't feel too terrible. She's holed up in her room doing art and some schoolwork. I picked up a book from a friend of hers last night, so she's got plenty to do. My wife and I both tested again yesterday. I went first when I had a break at work. I was surprised when I hadn't seen the e-mail results within an hour or two like I had the day before, and I told my wife that. She went later in the day and texted me that "they forgot to inform ou that they were not doing the rapid tests today because they are short staffed because of covid." Oh the irony. So those results go out to a lab and take a couple days.

Ack! I'm sorry that you could not get a rapid test today.  I hope that you daughter continues to be only moderately miserable.

2022-01-20 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri Thanks for the well wishes everyone. She's doing ok so far. A lot of coughing, but propping up with a lot of pillows to sleep seems to help. Overall she doesn't feel too terrible. She's holed up in her room doing art and some schoolwork. I picked up a book from a friend of hers last night, so she's got plenty to do. My wife and I both tested again yesterday. I went first when I had a break at work. I was surprised when I hadn't seen the e-mail results within an hour or two like I had the day before, and I told my wife that. She went later in the day and texted me that "they forgot to inform ou that they were not doing the rapid tests today because they are short staffed because of covid." Oh the irony. So those results go out to a lab and take a couple days.

Ack! I'm sorry that you could not get a rapid test today.  I hope that you daughter continues to be only moderately miserable.

I'm happy to read that your daughter is doing ok. Really ironic about the short-staffed covid test peeps!

I gave myself a bit of a scare taking a rapid test today. I decided to take when after another attorney in my office pooped + today. His only symptom was a runny nose. I am dealing with allergy issues, which means i have a runny nose , so decided to be safe and take the test. When i saw the line next to the "C" in the result my heart dropped for a minute. Then i realized that meant negative. phew! 

2022-01-20 3:51 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

WOOT! (having said that, I haven't done any long races in a long time LOL Do I need it?)

You only need Infinit if it's a part of your nutrition plan. I know that some Manatees (Lisa?) use Infinit and I have used it in the past.  My results were mixed. 

I use it and love the simplicity of it for long distance rides. I have a custom mix that replaces almost all of my nutrition on the bike. I carry additional items because the act of chewing feels necessary at some points during a 112-mile ride. But otherwise it takes care of everything. You can adjust caffeine levels, flavor intensity, and what I do is concentrate the 1-hour mix into 3-hour bottles so I'm not having to stop and mix or swap out bottles. 

2022-01-20 7:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert

I'm happy to read that your daughter is doing ok. Really ironic about the short-staffed covid test peeps!

I gave myself a bit of a scare taking a rapid test today. I decided to take when after another attorney in my office pooped + today. His only symptom was a runny nose. I am dealing with allergy issues, which means i have a runny nose , so decided to be safe and take the test. When i saw the line next to the "C" in the result my heart dropped for a minute. Then i realized that meant negative. phew! 

One of my assistants has been out for 2 weeks with COVID. She texted before work on a Wednesday and said her husband's bowling team has COVID. I told her we have to wear masks. The next morning said husband has a running nose, but thinks it's allergies and we all stayed masked, then Friday she said runny nose. I told her not to come in and get a test. She tested positive the next day. She probably should have gotten BAM therapy, but didn't go in (you knw horse de-wormer is the thing) today was the first day her head was clear, but still had trouble breathing and could only walk as far as her mailbox.
BTW she is a hardcore anti-vaxer and before she got sick only people who have been vaccinated get COVID. We will check her attitude when she gets back.
2022-01-21 6:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

I use it and love the simplicity of it for long distance rides. I have a custom mix that replaces almost all of my nutrition on the bike. I carry additional items because the act of chewing feels necessary at some points during a 112-mile ride. But otherwise it takes care of everything. You can adjust caffeine levels, flavor intensity, and what I do is concentrate the 1-hour mix into 3-hour bottles so I'm not having to stop and mix or swap out bottles. 

Thanks for chiming in. I know a lot of people who have been successful with Infinit for long course tri.

Edited by jmkizer 2022-01-21 6:46 AM
2022-01-21 6:50 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

One of my assistants has been out for 2 weeks with COVID. She texted before work on a Wednesday and said her husband's bowling team has COVID. I told her we have to wear masks. The next morning said husband has a running nose, but thinks it's allergies and we all stayed masked, then Friday she said runny nose. I told her not to come in and get a test. She tested positive the next day. She probably should have gotten BAM therapy, but didn't go in (you knw horse de-wormer is the thing) today was the first day her head was clear, but still had trouble breathing and could only walk as far as her mailbox. BTW she is a hardcore anti-vaxer and before she got sick only people who have been vaccinated get COVID. We will check her attitude when she gets back.

Where do I find the Face Palm emoji on BT?

I'm thankful that you insisted on masking. Did she really go the ivermectin route instead of monoclonal antibodies? Yikes!

Fun fact, until the past few years, the only thing that I knew about ivermectin is that collies can't have it.

2022-01-21 6:56 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

One of my assistants has been out for 2 weeks with COVID. She texted before work on a Wednesday and said her husband's bowling team has COVID. I told her we have to wear masks. The next morning said husband has a running nose, but thinks it's allergies and we all stayed masked, then Friday she said runny nose. I told her not to come in and get a test. She tested positive the next day. She probably should have gotten BAM therapy, but didn't go in (you knw horse de-wormer is the thing) today was the first day her head was clear, but still had trouble breathing and could only walk as far as her mailbox. BTW she is a hardcore anti-vaxer and before she got sick only people who have been vaccinated get COVID. We will check her attitude when she gets back.

I know I shouldn't but I almost feel happy when an anti-vaxxer gets covid and experiences serious symptoms! I don't want them to die or shut down our hospitals, but I sort of feel like there should be some kind of punishment for those who have helped keep this pandemic going ! The problem with that, of course, is that when they do get covid there is another potential bad variant created and then all of us who have done the right thing continue to be impacted. So, it's complicated

2022-01-21 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know I shouldn't but I almost feel happy when an anti-vaxxer gets covid and experiences serious symptoms! I don't want them to die or shut down our hospitals, but I sort of feel like there should be some kind of punishment for those who have helped keep this pandemic going ! The problem with that, of course, is that when they do get covid there is another potential bad variant created and then all of us who have done the right thing continue to be impacted. So, it's complicated

We don't need more variants.  There are no guarantees that it will get "milder."

2022-01-21 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

We don't need more variants.  There are no guarantees that it will get "milder."

I agree on both counts!

2022-01-21 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I have a question on "fuelling". What length of workouts do you start to fuel? Is there a rule of thumb? I am starting from ground zero and never really got a good grasp on this.
2022-01-21 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh I have a question on "fuelling". What length of workouts do you start to fuel? Is there a rule of thumb? I am starting from ground zero and never really got a good grasp on this.

Soooo, my understanding is that for workouts around 90 minutes or more you fuel during the workout.

Now fueling also counts pre and post workout as well and if you've been following Stacy Sims or other sports RDs there's a lot of discussion about taking protein and carbs in the 30 mins (important for women to be sooner) to 60 mins after the workout. And it seems to be true for all workout durations.

And there has also been a lot going on about eating pre-workout - so much about 'fasted training' (ie training on an empty stomach) and consensus seems to be that women in particular should eat something, even a half a banana or toast, in the hour (give or take) before working out. I think Stacy Sims quote is something along the lines 'Women perform better in a fed state'

2022-01-21 9:47 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by ceilidh I have a question on "fuelling". What length of workouts do you start to fuel? Is there a rule of thumb? I am starting from ground zero and never really got a good grasp on this.

Soooo, my understanding is that for workouts around 90 minutes or more you fuel during the workout.

Now fueling also counts pre and post workout as well and if you've been following Stacy Sims or other sports RDs there's a lot of discussion about taking protein and carbs in the 30 mins (important for women to be sooner) to 60 mins after the workout. And it seems to be true for all workout durations.

And there has also been a lot going on about eating pre-workout - so much about 'fasted training' (ie training on an empty stomach) and consensus seems to be that women in particular should eat something, even a half a banana or toast, in the hour (give or take) before working out. I think Stacy Sims quote is something along the lines 'Women perform better in a fed state'

For me, a 75 minute ride might find me using a scoop of Skatch. A 90 minute ride almost certainly.  For a 90+ minute run, I'll have something as well.

I have been trying the Nuun Recovery that Ann-Marie mentioned. To be honest, I'm only having that for longer workouts.

2022-01-21 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

For me, a 75 minute ride might find me using a scoop of Skatch. A 90 minute ride almost certainly.  For a 90+ minute run, I'll have something as well.

I have been trying the Nuun Recovery that Ann-Marie mentioned. To be honest, I'm only having that for longer workouts.

I hadn't been doing the fuel after my regular weekday workouts but i had thought about it asked the coaches for the plan I have (who answer questions on Monday on the FB group) and they definitely recommended it for all workout types. I am interested in recovery and reducing fatigue in particular because I can't control the rest of the crazy time having little kids right now. 

2022-01-21 10:31 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For ninety minutes and over, I will always take a gu for a long run and probably some solid food (energy bars, nut butter, fruit) for a training ride. Occasionally in the 60-80 minute range I'll take something just in case, if it's been a long time since my last meal and I didn't have time for a snack, and/or I'm doing double workouts that day and I might be a little low on calories in the system. I'll go ahead and have the gu or whatever if I feel the slightest bit hungry during the workout. In my experience, feeling hungry during a workout is kind of the kiss of death--it never ends up being an enjoyable or high-quality session.

I think especially for women, and for iron-distance training or people who are physically active outside of tri, it's important to consider not only the length and intensity of the current workout, but your energy in/out balance throughout the day and maybe across days. (For example, during IM training, you might still be running an energy deficit from the day before!)
2022-01-21 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I am terrible at fueling, which is one of the issues I have with 70.3 and longer distances.  I am trying to have a little bit of banana before runs and maybe some PB on an English muffin before 3 hr or more rides, bc fasted workouts are no good for women as mentioned.  During runs I don’t take anything until it hits 2 hours, usually. But, I have been testing out  using glucose tabs in runs of 1.5 hours or more, trying to get used to them.

i will need to start fueling on the bike too to get nutrition sorted for Choo.
I do use the Recovery for runs that hit 1 hour bc I am trying to be good about proper recovery fueling.

2022-01-21 11:48 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner For ninety minutes and over, I will always take a gu for a long run and probably some solid food (energy bars, nut butter, fruit) for a training ride. Occasionally in the 60-80 minute range I'll take something just in case, if it's been a long time since my last meal and I didn't have time for a snack, and/or I'm doing double workouts that day and I might be a little low on calories in the system. I'll go ahead and have the gu or whatever if I feel the slightest bit hungry during the workout. In my experience, feeling hungry during a workout is kind of the kiss of death--it never ends up being an enjoyable or high-quality session. I think especially for women, and for iron-distance training or people who are physically active outside of tri, it's important to consider not only the length and intensity of the current workout, but your energy in/out balance throughout the day and maybe across days. (For example, during IM training, you might still be running an energy deficit from the day before!)

For sure, and reflecting a bit on my own experience I have been low on B12 a few times (particularly at the end of training cycle) even though i eat meat and in general do not restrict my food intake any way nor am i usually doing super high volume or intensity.  But I do wonder if it might be the cumulative fatigue and not paying attention to fueling around workouts by primarily eating my 3 meals a day and snacks. So i am giving it a try. 

I have been using the wild.ai app a bit and it recommend a staggering amount of protein after a workout but i am mostly starting with the ultra filtered chocolate milk after my weekday workouts (as mentioned before I am not into protein powders) to see if it helps. On weekends i come home and make some thing to eat right away so a big egg sandwich or smoothie. I have no noticeable results as of yet but we shall see. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27362 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93