United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 7s
Overall Rank = 1078/2328
Age Group = f45-49
Age Group Rank = 32/136
Event warmup:

The 1.5 mile walk from transition to swim start.
Swim
  • 22m 49s
  • 2125 yards
  • 01m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had been watching the discharge rate of the Willamette River for weeks before the race. Between a lot of rain and a big winter snow melt the rate settled at about 2x the prior 2 years rate.

Course was point to point and basically a straight line until the turn into a protected area with no current to the finish.

At the athlete briefing they said the far side of the river was flowing even faster, so to keep everyone on the right side of the river they wanted swimmers to keep the buoys to their left (except the 2 red turn buoys).

They lined up athletes by expected finish time at transition and then we all walked 1.5 miles to the swim start. When it was finally time to get in the water, athletes jumped off the end of a floating dock 2 at a time. I jumped in with DH on my right. As people jumped in, WHOOSH they were gone. I jumped in holding my nose with one hand and my goggles on my face with the other. WHOOSH we were off.

I followed the crowd and went way left - and I swear a saw a buoy over there. Someone said they heard 1 came loose. I quickly realized there was way more chop than expected. Also, it was pretty shallow and you could see the large rocks. This was making me nauseous watching them go by so fast. I started to panic so I had to stop and get myself together. Even stopping in this current meant you were still moving forward. So I got myself together, slowed my cadence and had to shut my eyes when I was face down.....breathe.....close eyes.....breathe....close eyes - until the water was deep enough.

The RD said the first half of the course the bouys were yellow and then orange. "so when you see orange you're halfway there." First problem, I was way left so the were on my right and moving fast......1......2.....3......4 - halfway! I kept trying to move over and finally started making some progress as here comes orange.......BANG smashed right into one......ok let's try again......2 actually tried to stop right before it and move right - NOPE current swept me away......3......BANG slammed into it again but this time landed on the correct side.........4.....5.....6... apparently someone can't do math because halfway should be 4 and 4. Well whatever here comes the red - thank goodness. I made the turn and looked to the shore. There was no arch just volunteers with orange flags. I actually had to put in some effort here to get to shore but was so happy to see land :)
What would you do differently?:

We couldn't get in the water before the race but that would have been helpful I'm sure.
Transition 1
  • 08m 20s
Comments:

LONG run to transition - and a pee stop
Bike
  • 2h 59m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I always get caught in the scrum - constantly leap frogging people or getting caught in traffic and can't maintain steady power. I don't know how people do it. Also, people were complaining this course was hilly. It was not but I saw people walking up little hills anyway. 1,086ft over 56miles - that's like 20ft/mile. And no one can seem to navigate around a cone which is frustrating too. Overall pretty happy with my bike but I would have liked to have ridden steady with a better vi.

also road surface was chip seal which didn't seem to bother me as much as DH. He hated it and got bounced around a lot.
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Run
  • 2h 21m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall pretty happy with my run. I would have liked to gone under 2:15 but there was much less shade than I was expecting - and I got a little fried because I skipped the sunscreen.

oh and time includes a pee stop. I was doing an excellent job staying hydrated.
Post race
Event comments:

70.3 is probably my least favorite distance race but overall pretty pleased with the result. The total time (adjusted for the crazy swim) is on par with my PR set in 2014. Over the last few years my attitude about long course racing has improved and I think I'm starting to see that in the results (good race here, IM in 2019 is my PR). Getting better with age? Maybe just smarter!?

Last updated: 2022-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:49 | 2125 yards | 01m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/136
Overall: 0/2328
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:20
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:39 | 56 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:21:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2022-07-14 10:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Ironman Oregon 70.3

2022-07-14 1:40 PM
in reply to: #5281876

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Ironman Oregon 70.3

That swim sounds crazy! Glad the buoys didn't knock you out. Plus, I can't imagine swimming with my eyes closed  Congrats on a close to PR and learning to enjoy the long course races.

2022-07-14 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on getting it done! The swim sounds similar to last year....my time was about 30 seconds slower. There was also a buoy that began moving shortly after the start! Maybe the current wasn't quite as wild--they were letting us swim on the right side (to left of buoys) or out in the main channel, actually pretty much anywhere we wanted. Most people stuck to the right--I was out in the middle. I stopped stroking a few times just to see what would happen and I kept moving. Happens a lot in ocean swims (with onshore currents) but it still felt weird!

I recall rough road surface as well. No big hills but really not a fast bike course, especially the first 10 miles or so out of town and then back in. I had my highest NP for 70.3 on that course but was well off my best time. That is just the way most rural roads are here--chip seal, narrow two lanes, rolling to very hilly, winding. Pretty much anytime I train outdoors, unless on a nearby rail-to-trail path, that's what we're riding on. But being used to it doesn't make it any easier.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Oregon and the race. It's a beautiful course, but I hope they can iron out some of the issues with the swim and the way people get piled up and backed up on the bike. No doubt related to dubious self-seeding on the swim. Not sure how they can solve it though unless they change the race location.

2022-07-14 1:50 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Congrats on getting it done! The swim sounds similar to last year....my time was about 30 seconds slower. There was also a buoy that began moving shortly after the start! Maybe the current wasn't quite as wild--they were letting us swim on the right side (to left of buoys) or out in the main channel, actually pretty much anywhere we wanted. Most people stuck to the right--I was out in the middle. I stopped stroking a few times just to see what would happen and I kept moving. Happens a lot in ocean swims (with onshore currents) but it still felt weird!

I recall rough road surface as well. No big hills but really not a fast bike course, especially the first 10 miles or so out of town and then back in. I had my highest NP for 70.3 on that course but was well off my best time. That is just the way most rural roads are here--chip seal, narrow two lanes, rolling to very hilly, winding. Pretty much anytime I train outdoors, unless on a nearby rail-to-trail path, that's what we're riding on. But being used to it doesn't make it any easier.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Oregon and the race. It's a beautiful course, but I hope they can iron out some of the issues with the swim and the way people get piled up and backed up on the bike. No doubt related to dubious self-seeding on the swim. Not sure how they can solve it though unless they change the race location.

I probably didn't say that enough - but the course actually was great. I thought the bike was beautiful and the roads were closed to most traffic so I saw very few cars! The run was awesome on the trails (just would have liked a few more trees).

I have some friends who are now interested so we may be back in 2024! I would totally go back to this venue and course. TONS of great volunteers and crowd support was decent way out 20 miles into the bike! Seems like Salem really wanted to have us there which always makes for a great experience.
2022-07-14 11:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm considering it for the next year or two, so might run into you there! At any rate it is by far the closest IM event to my home (about 65 miles north of here). Glad you enjoyed our beautiful little neck of the woods, and that the swim didn't get cancelled! Honestly, though, I wish Eugene or nearby Cottage Grove could host an IM event--I think we could do it just as well, if not better. If Eugene can manage the World Track and Field Championships (in town this next week OMG) then surely we could host an IM event....

Edited by Hot Runner 2022-07-14 11:18 PM
2022-07-15 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing smarter for sure!

Wow, that was one crazy swim. Not sure that I'm jealous of it anymore. At least in Chattanooga, you don't have to deal with rocks.  Like you, I was always frustrated with the lack of a warm up swim. I think that helps mentally.

If HIM is your least favorite distance, what is your favorite? Full?  Olympic?

Regarding DH and the chipseal, do you think that was a wheel/tire/tire pressure thing or a Randee mountain bikes thing?  Or neither?

P.S. Note your tire pressure somewhere. I have found that to be helpful when I look back a year after the event.

2022-07-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats on getting it done! The swim sounds similar to last year....my time was about 30 seconds slower. There was also a buoy that began moving shortly after the start! Maybe the current wasn't quite as wild--they were letting us swim on the right side (to left of buoys) or out in the main channel, actually pretty much anywhere we wanted. Most people stuck to the right--I was out in the middle. I stopped stroking a few times just to see what would happen and I kept moving. Happens a lot in ocean swims (with onshore currents) but it still felt weird! I recall rough road surface as well. No big hills but really not a fast bike course, especially the first 10 miles or so out of town and then back in. I had my highest NP for 70.3 on that course but was well off my best time. That is just the way most rural roads are here--chip seal, narrow two lanes, rolling to very hilly, winding. Pretty much anytime I train outdoors, unless on a nearby rail-to-trail path, that's what we're riding on. But being used to it doesn't make it any easier. Hope you enjoyed your time in Oregon and the race. It's a beautiful course, but I hope they can iron out some of the issues with the swim and the way people get piled up and backed up on the bike. No doubt related to dubious self-seeding on the swim. Not sure how they can solve it though unless they change the race location.
I probably didn't say that enough - but the course actually was great. I thought the bike was beautiful and the roads were closed to most traffic so I saw very few cars! The run was awesome on the trails (just would have liked a few more trees). I have some friends who are now interested so we may be back in 2024! I would totally go back to this venue and course. TONS of great volunteers and crowd support was decent way out 20 miles into the bike! Seems like Salem really wanted to have us there which always makes for a great experience.

Great feedback!

2022-07-15 8:07 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing smarter for sure!

Wow, that was one crazy swim. Not sure that I'm jealous of it anymore. At least in Chattanooga, you don't have to deal with rocks.  Like you, I was always frustrated with the lack of a warm up swim. I think that helps mentally.

Regarding DH and the chipseal, do you think that was a wheel/tire/tire pressure thing or a Randee mountain bikes thing?  Or neither?

P.S. Note your tire pressure somewhere. I have found that to be helpful when I look back a year after the event.

I think it's a "DH is a delicate flower" thing (it's ok I say it to his face) LOL!

I did say to him that if we go again he should see if 25 tires will fit in his frame and/or reduce the tire pressure.

I don't think I have a favorite distance but I like to either a sprint and be done in 1.5hrs or so or a full and just commit to being there all day. I actually dislike Oly and 70.3 but it's a draw.

2022-07-15 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing smarter for sure!

I think it's a "DH is a delicate flower" thing (it's ok I say it to his face) LOL! I did say to him that if we go again he should see if 25 tires will fit in his frame and/or reduce the tire pressure. I don't think I have a favorite distance but I like to either a sprint and be done in 1.5hrs or so or a full and just commit to being there all day. I actually dislike Oly and 70.3 but it's a draw.

25s make a big difference on chip seal in terms of comfort and actually test better than some 23s in terms or rolling resistance (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews)

Oly was always my least favorite because the swim had might as well be a half!

2022-07-15 1:08 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, great race!  The swim sounds interesting in so many ways, good job keeping it together and not getting swept away!

2022-07-16 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Randee-
I didn't see this until now-really, really great race!!

Very good effort but my critical self will say that 2 pee stops are absolutely unnecessary--if you really want a better time.

Seriously, pee in the river-it's not that hard. And on the run, let it go-follow it with a cup of water down your legs. Would have saved minutes-that's the same as getting aero-wheels at the correct psi.

But really seriously, nice job. Holding pace on the bike is challenging when people are going fast/slow and left/right. Staying aero and holding your HIM power is always best. I would agree that was not hilly. These people need to come to NE for a 'hilly race'. haha

best of luck in your recovery!

2022-07-17 4:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Great job!

The swim for me is always the most 'anxiety provoking' but I think a lot of people feel that way.
Great job on the bike despite get caught amongst all the people.

I read Dale's response about your wasting time 'peeing'. I too stop in porta john's. Maybe we need to add that to 'tri training'??
2022-07-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by dtoce

Randee-
I didn't see this until now-really, really great race!!

Very good effort but my critical self will say that 2 pee stops are absolutely unnecessary--if you really want a better time.

Seriously, pee in the river-it's not that hard. And on the run, let it go-follow it with a cup of water down your legs. Would have saved minutes-that's the same as getting aero-wheels at the correct psi.

But really seriously, nice job. Holding pace on the bike is challenging when people are going fast/slow and left/right. Staying aero and holding your HIM power is always best. I would agree that was not hilly. These people need to come to NE for a 'hilly race'. haha

best of luck in your recovery!

While I appreciate the advice (truly) I'm not winning (or losing) these races by my pee breaks so for now I'll just keep my socks and shoes clean
2022-07-18 12:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
dbl post-

Edited by dtoce 2022-07-18 12:05 PM
2022-07-18 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

While I appreciate the advice (truly) I'm not winning (or losing) these races by my pee breaks so for now I'll just keep my socks and shoes clean

I get it, but transition is a place where many people leave time un-necessarily. You only needed to shave 6 seconds and you'd have been 31st in your AG. It was 2.5 minutes to 30th place..

Keep those socks/shoes clean, girl!!

I'll still be cheering for you.

2022-07-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by dtoce

I get it, but transition is a place where many people leave time un-necessarily. You only needed to shave 6 seconds and you'd have been 31st in your AG. It was 2.5 minutes to 30th place..

Keep those socks/shoes clean, girl!!

I'll still be cheering for you.

If only Finland rolled down to 30th......

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Oregon 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by Jo63
Views: 478 Posts: 1

2021-10-03 5:31 PM Jo63

Ironman 70.3 Memphis

Started by tcovert
Views: 985 Posts: 2

2022-09-13 2:38 PM canadarn2001