Columbia Triathlon Association
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 22m 19s
Overall Rank = 60/2000
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/141
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the hotel at 3:45 and jumped in the shower. Did a little bit of stretching and just wanted to feel awake and ready to go. We stayed in Seaford DE which was about 30 miles from the race site. Not too bad as it was all farm roads to get there. Very fast drive.

Packed the car up, got my daughter and wife situated and we were off.

I ate some toast with peanut butter, one banana and a yogurt. Started in with some water.

Got to the race site and the parking lot was already almost 2/3 full. Got a great parking spot though.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up for this race. I got to the transition area and just set everything up. Once that was done there was probably only about 15 minutes until the PRO start and then another 15 until transition closed down. So I grabbed my wet suit and put it on up to my waist. It was actually a welcome feeling as I was pretty cold in the AM.

Left transition and looked for an open porta pot. Nothing. So I met my wife and daughter right by the swim stage area and watched all of the PROs come out of the water and on into T1. Did a few quick jogs up and down the grassy area to just get some blood flowing.

My group was up and then I got some guy to zip me up and I was off to the water. Once they let us in I was the first one in the water. Went to the bathroom right away since I never made it to an open porta pot. Made it out to the start area and did about 25 meters of swimming to loosen up. I felt great and the water was nice.

Swim
  • 24m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took off as soon as they gave us the word. Started my watch about 10 seconds early so I would be focused on the start. I mean 10 seconds is it really going to matter?

Took off with one other guy and we stayed about a body length apart until the first turn. We were setting a pretty solid pace on the way out. Caught the wave in front of us by the half way point on the way out and passed almost all of that wave by the mid point on the way back. Started catching some of the other waves in front of them too. At that time navigating past some of the people was tough. People were just all over the place. Overall a little messy with breathing. Wound up swimming some breaststroke on the way in since there was such a big crowd. Overall pretty good and the time was good.

A few times I did get a huge wake off the wave runners. That is annoying as he!!. I wish they would back off with those things.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Coming out of the water up the boat ramp I was in great shape. I pulled my wetsuit cord and it opened up. But for some strange reason I decided to pull the cord down too and I wound up pulling the whole zipper piece right off the dam suit. Dropped it on the ground. So I turned around to pick it up. Grabbed it and must have dropped my goggles. Got about 25 yards down the run and realized the goggles were gone. So I decided to not turn around for a $3 pair of sweeds. Got to the bike and the suit came right off. Put my helmet and glasses on, got some Infinit in me and grabbed my bike and was off. Shoes on the bike worked great. First race for this. Never not do it again. Had my shoes on in the first tenth of a mile and was rolling....

Not break my wetsuit and lose my goggles....
Bike
  • 2h 18m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 24.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off strong and noticed a slight tail wind for the first 30 miles. Most of the roads were really nice. I was really in shock how nice they were. But when the roads were bad, man they were bad. Overall I stayed in a really comfortable gear and the idea was to race my own race and not hammer like I normally do. I think I did a good job with that. About 10 miles in I started getting passed by a few guys in my Age Group. These would prove to be the only guys out on the road that passed me all day. I just let them go and thought a few things. One, if they were really that fast then there was no use chasing them and two if they weren't that fast then they would come back to me later on the bike or on the run. At the 40K mark I was averaging 25.4 MPH and rocking along. Very comfortable, breathing was in check and I felt great. When we got to the back end of the course it was just brutal. The wind was a constant flow. No strong gusts or blasts but just a constant headwind. At one point I looked down and realized that I was only going about 22-23 MPH. For most of the ride I was 24.8-26.5. So right away I figured something was up. So I dropped down to the small ring and got in a much better gear. Held about 23.5 though most of the headwind. A few times during this section I got stuck in a traffic mess. A Ford F150 with a race car attached to it was going about 20 MPH and taking up a lot of the road. I must have passed them three times and then they passed me again. Then we got about 2-3 other cars all lined up and it was a mess. Finally we turned right and got out of that mess. Once the wind and course direction changed we got another nice tailwind section and I was again back in the 26-28 MPH range pretty comfortably and just hammering. I only had about 10 miles left so it was time to go and hold nothing back. The last 5 miles was into the wind again and I saw the PRO leaders at about mile 4 on the run. That was cool. Didn't realize that I was that close to them. So I got back towards T2 and I stared to shift into a lighter gear and get my legs loosened up. Got my feet out of my shoes and dismounted on the fly.

Ride harder. Nothing to lose by doing it other than blowing up on the run....
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Perfect transition. Not really excited about the half marry coming up but knew there was a task at hand so I started to get my mind back in order for a run.

Drank some more of the water and Infinit that I had in transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 34m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Right away I knew it was going to be a tough run. Got my HR under control quickly and then felt really full. Had to go to the bathroom but just could not go while running. I tried. So during the first mile I saw a porta pot and ducked in. I was only in there for about 20 seconds and it was additional time to get my HR down and re-compose. I still ran 7:00 for that mile with the bathroom stop so all was not lost....

Got back on track and got by mile splits down to 6:40s for the next few miles. Got water at every aid station. One for my head and one to drink. The water was so cold that when I dumped it on my head it took my breath away. Good god. So all was well and when I got to the turnaround I was really thankful. My legs were starting to feel it. My quads were starting to go. So I kept moving and was going ok. Between miles 7-8 is where the wheels started falling off. It started to feel like I had midgets running along side of me swinging baseball bats at my quads every step I took. Bad pain but I just kept on pushing and focusing on the task at hand. My mile splits started to drop off a little here and I knew it was going to be tough from there on out. Then my big mistake came. I started stretching at mile 8, or the aid station right after mile 8. I walked and drank and then stretched for about 10 seconds. Legs locked up and felt awful. Started running but just felt spent. Got to mile 10 and started talking to some guy in the 40-45 Age group. He was good enough to pace with me and we were back between 7:30s-8:00 min miles. We did that for about 1.5 miles. I really thank this guy, he helped me cope at that point. Then we got to the next aid station and I neededr to stop and drink. That was it. I ever saw him again. The last 1.5 was pretty much on my own. Great crowd support at this point really helped as well. Thanks to the people who were there and live right along the route. That misting sprinkler was money. Then the final turn and I could see and hear the finish line. Probably about 1/2 mile out. Just started to forget about my legs and push through. Came into the long finishing tunnel and was so happy. Saw my wife and daughter and was so happy. They announced my name and it was all over. They asked me if I was going to be ok and I initially said No but I was ok. Got my medal and got a water and huge Gatorade.

A long run and I really paid for the fast bike split. All in all, I kind of knew this was going to be a tough run. I really have not been putting the correct amount of run mileage in. That will change for Clearwater.

Mile Splits:
7:09
6:17
6:47
6:44
6:51
7:02
7:10
7:00
7:18
7:51
7:45
8:04
7:43

Add more long runs in to my training plan. My running has come a long way from last year when I was running with a torn calf and only putting in about 15 miles a month. But I still have a long way to go. I know I am capable of running closer to 6 min miles with the right training.

Post race
Warm down:

Hosed off and called it a day. My legs were just thrashed after it was over. Glad to have finished my first HIM. Qualified for Clearwater. Got a message and watched the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing overall. I put a lot of training in based on time avail.

Event comments:

Overall I would go back to Eagleman in a heartbeat. Great race with a great vibe. Very competitive Age Group race with blazing times and a super competitive PRO field. What more could you want?

Last updated: 2007-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/141
Overall: 49/2000
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Hilix Suit
Course: Rectangle with buoys of on the left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:18:35 | 56 miles | 24.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/141
Overall: 139/2000
Wind: Some
Course: One big loop though Dorchester County and a bald eagle reserve. All country roads, farm roads, roads along the water, etc...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:34:02 | 13.1 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/141
Overall: 136/2000
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on rural roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2007-06-11 7:09 PM
in reply to: #839838

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

Awesome race!  If you could string together a solid run through the whole effort you are in the 4:1's or even 4:0's (on a day like yesterday)!!!

Frickin' awesome!  I'm assuming you got your Clearwater slot??

Rockstar effort!!

2007-06-11 7:36 PM
in reply to: #839878

Champion
South Jersey

Great job, Mike. You raced a fastastic race, and those swim and run times were smokin'. I am so excited to see what you can do at Clearwater. Another 4.5 months of run training and you'll be money !!!

Congrats on an extremely impressive 4:22:19. There are very few people who ever come close to that, and especially not at their first HIM. Keep up the good work!! You're awesome .

2007-06-11 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the kind words. It really hasn't sunk in yet. I though I would be more excited but for some reason I am not. I guess the last few miles of the run left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially since I felt like I put so much run training in.

Definitely work on that for Clearwater.

And yes I did accept the Clearwater spot. Pretty excited about that race. Pretty fast course and flat too. So hopefully should see similar results....

Thanks again for the support.

2007-06-11 8:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-11 10:27 PM

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice race!  That must be a fast course!  Natasha Badman set a world record for the fastest womens half ever!  Way to go!

2007-06-12 7:00 AM

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

great job Mike.... You did great, all your hard work paid off, now that you did your first HIM i can't wait to see what you do at Clearwater...

Nice work Mike!!!!

2007-06-12 7:10 AM

Master
SMIBville
Great RR Mike! Congrats on the Clearwater spot. You're gonna kick there, and I hear there aren't any midgets in Florida!
2007-06-12 7:15 AM

Veteran
Bowie, MD
Dude that was a great race. Great job of pushing through the pain on the run!
2007-06-12 9:52 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great race all the way through!  Maybe just a bit too hard on the bike and/or early in the run, but you still held on well when it got tough.  Nice job!

Clearwater should be another good one for you.  Good luck there!

2007-06-12 11:19 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Wow - amazing performance and congrats on the completion and azz-kicking time for your fist HIM.  I'm in awe of all your splits in all 3 disciplines.

2007-06-12 11:31 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Excellent job and well executed. I just can't get over how fast this course was. A 4:22 would have placed you top 3 in your AG at almost any Half IM in the nation. Clearwater will be similar in many ways based on what happened last year and some of the reports from this race. You have plenty of time to get your run together and a sub 1:30 run split should be in your future!
2007-06-12 1:00 PM
in reply to: #840822

Expert
bryancd - 2007-06-12 12:31 PM

Excellent job and well executed. I just can't get over how fast this course was. A 4:22 would have placed you top 3 in your AG at almost any Half IM in the nation. Clearwater will be similar in many ways based on what happened last year and some of the reports from this race. You have plenty of time to get your run together and a sub 1:30 run split should be in your future!

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the run. I was initially targeting sub 1:25 run time and feel as though I should be able to do it with the right conditions and some more training.

This course is great for speed. Very fast course but when it's Windy out there all of the speed goes away. It just so flat... The largest hill I think I rode up was possibly a ramp to a bridge over a little stream.
2007-06-12 1:11 PM

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Wow! Awesome race! And for your first HIM - that's just sick Wink. Congrats on the Clearwater spot! Very nice job.
2007-06-12 1:40 PM

Elite
Reston VA
Great race and congrats on qualifying for Clearwater!!!!
2007-06-12 2:35 PM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on an awesome race and getting a Clearwater spot! You are FAST! I can't wait to see how much faster you can get! Congratulations again!

2007-06-12 9:54 PM

Master
Royersford, PA
Wow, that is one amazing race. Congrats on getting to Clearwater, you certainly earned it fighting through that run.
2007-06-15 3:26 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Great Job! The run will come around for sure. Just keep the mileage consistant.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed