General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 07m 58s
Overall Rank = 53/264
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/41
Pre-race routine:

Actually started a few days before the race by nixing caffeine and eating pretty blah and clean for about 2 days prior. Per nutrition suggestions, hit water and gatorade pretty consistent two days before and was well hydrated. Went up to TriDDS' place at Elkhart and we zipped up there early AM. Ate wheat bread with peanut butter, glass of milk, some Cliff blocks in the car w/gatorade and water on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Chatted with TriDDS, Pseudoyams, Firstnet911 a bit, got on the wetsuit after setting up and swam about 150 yards or so.
Swim
  • 38m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was in waist deep water that you could walk along the first 75 or so. Starting at the back I just kinda walked along but this would actually hurt me more than help me over the course of the whole swim. Water had lots of algae and low visibility so after a few attempts to draft and getting kicked in the head (not being able to see feet), I just broke off and did my thing. I did siddle up to folks once in a while to catch a little something once things broke off. I kept checking my splits and wondered if this was like a mega short course or not, but looking at the field, I was top 50% which is huge improvement over last year. My HR was a bit higher than I would have liked, at one point in the 150's and tried to ease it back but no dice. After rounding the last buoy, I was dinking around with trying to find the bottom to walk. I wasnt overly tired, I just wanted the swim to be done. I had time in the bank vs my 48 minute hopeful time and this is 20 minutes better than Lake Geneva (well, i had my goggles the whole time this time and um, actually swim from time to time now). Rounding the last turn I did try and pick it up a bit too but overall kept it nice and smooth and steady (for me anyway). I felt a few twinges in the calf the last bit so not sure what was up with that but was able to shake em out.
What would you do differently?:

Just swim the whole focking course man. I think the feeling for the bottom the times I did probably cost me a minute or so in slowed momentum, etc. Building endurance would help too.
Transition 1
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

Hmmm...well, I guess both transitions show my lax attitude towards this race. I was geeked about getting outta the water when I did and took my sweet azz time in transition. Thats not completely fair though cuz with the heat and all, I made sure to suck down some water and layer on the sun screen. I did have one dumb moment in that my socks were still in my gear bag. WTF is up wit dat? Serves me right for goofing off before the race.

Set up better and not be a dumbass befor the race until everything is in fact set up. The reapplication of the sunscreen may have been overkill but no major burns today so back off!! ;)
Bike
  • 2h 36m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Winds were pretty calm and to be honest with you I didnt know what to expect here having not ridden the course. I did look at the profile though and knew there were some slots you could hammer it. After about a quarter mile, you climb up the High Cliff bluff or whatever it is. I think I took most of it seated but focused on keeping HR in check (actually bringing it down cuz I was 163 running water to transition which is high for me) At the top of the hill, I get in my aeros and whaddya know? The brand new micro pump I bought shot out and fell to the pavement. Fock it, I will get another (in part cuz there were tons of folks behind me). Headed out easier but with lots of flats and even some slight downhills, it didnt take long to warm up a bit. HR came down to 130-140 range, hit the downhills hard and kept most everything else moderate to hard. One bottle each at 13, 31 and 38 miles but missed another at mile 40. Between that and infinIT, probably about 120oz fluid, GU about 10 mins in, granola bar at 45ish, Powerbar extra sodium about 1:10, another bar around 1:50, gel 2:15ish. (These are probably off, but trying to remember best I could) Also hit endurolytes about every 35-40 minutes to help with the heat. I tried to hit my bonus goal of peeing on the bike (cuz I really had to bad) and since sub 5 was still an outside possibility, I took a stab at it a few times. Just couldnt do it. Oh well. Rode this comfortably hard and paced/fed well. I think the bike position is a bit aggressive for MOO though as shoulders, neck got a bit tired at times but made sure to stretch too.

I did run dry a few times on water in the aero bottle and think another bottle of InfinIT might have helped hold off the cramps in the run a bit longer. I was completely dry the last 3 miles or so and having something to drink to set up the run would be nice. With that, I might be adding the bottle cage to the downtube on the P2.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Took a gel, more sunscreen and didnt really press it. I did forget my yankz for the Kayanos too which would partially come into play later and beefed up my T2 (cuz actually tying shoes is waaaaay to hard)

In the context of what I wanted to accomplish today, this was fine, but when racing this distance in the future, just streamline everything. Oh yeah, dont forget yankz!
Run
  • 1h 46m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was concerned about my bike split and the heat but also knew that I had time in the bank relative to my goal of 5:20 or so decided to play it conservative. It helps that the first half mile or so is up a decent hill, except for that burning in the lungs thing, but just kind of chipped away at that slowly. The course then turns into a trail run which was thankfully heavily tree covered as now the sun was burnin pretty hot. The shade from the tree cover was a godsend as it was hot hot hot out in the open. I saw fellow BTer runaway on the course and chatted a bit then zipped off. I thought I had a good enough cushion from him and another runner to pee but it seriously took about 2 minutes to do so. I had my fuel belt with 4 flasks- two for water, two for Gatorade endurance. I dont like relying only on rest stops cuz of being such a sweaty donkey. It worked out nice though and when the flask were empty, I would refill with water at the aid stations. I cant recall when or how many, but I probably took in 4-6 of the Powerade high sodium gels with tons of water since I was worried about cramps and was now out of endurolytes. I felt kinda full at some points and actually got a nice sensation of puking for a second but no major issues. I stopped at ever rest station and drank water and/or gatorade as well as pouring a few cups over my head to keep cool. The hat helped I think and at one station they had ice so just dumped er in the hat and ran off to let it melt. Talk about brainfreeze! Second loop I looked at my watch and sub 5 was still a possibility but I would have to run 7's. Based on what I wanted to accomplish for today and the mindset this was a training race vs an A race along with how my body does in heat, I decided to keep it steady and finish solid vs rolling the dice (yep, I am a puss). At mile 10 or so my left shoe came untied. I stopped to try and tie it but the quads said no f'in way bub. About mile 11, I started to get the cramping in my right arm which usually sez heavy cramps are just around the corner. Started drinking everything I could, took another gel and managed to fend it off. The downhill felt good and I could open it up again and was able to surge into the shoot. I thought it was a decent run and within my boundaries for the day. Pushing it much more would have probably taken some more stank outta me for recovery and I wanted to finish in decent shape to get back to MOO training soon. If thats a cop out, its a cop out, but I accomplished more than I wanted to for the day.

I kept the cramps back for the most part and ate and drank well, but there has to be something I am missing. Wondering if a banana or two would help with the cramps. Otherwise, nothing. Pacing was perfect in context of how the race was going though 8 minutes slower than hoped.
Post race
Warm down:

Hit water hard, some grub from the tent, Endurox. Chatted with Yams and saw TriDDS come across. The Mrs and the kiddies were at the finish, though I almost screwed up them seeing my finish by going ahead and doing the course quicker than I thought.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the swim has come a long way but I still dont trust myself fully there yet. That will come. Extra bottle on the bike seems necessary based on where course support is but not sure that will make me faster. Transitions need some work too but again, I think this was a function of an easy attitude about the race vs going out to race.

Event comments:

Aside from a few small things, I thought these guys did a top notch job with lots of course support, well marked courses and a cool venue. Highly recommended!

Last updated: 2007-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 126/264
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion full with meatflap
Course: Rectangular clockwise, one loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:22
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:36:08 | 56 miles | 21.52 mile/hr
Overall: 38/264
Wind: Some
Course: Lots o country roads, pretty much point the bike straight and shoot. Initial climb out of the park and some light rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:46:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 44/264
Course: Climb up same High Cliff road as bike to trail running area. Kinda rolly, twisty with short paved areas. Primarily trails/woodchip kinda stuff though. Two loops through the wooded trails and back down the hill to the chute.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 7:51 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman

2007-06-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: #858259

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman
EEEAAAaaawesome job out there, donkey!! You PRed in a big way, holy crap! Amazing improvements on the swim, too and way to keep racing smart the whole way through! You are well on your way to having an incredible IM- I can't wait to see what you can do!!
2007-06-25 10:05 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Nice race and way to keep ego in check and run your race in prep for IMOO.

2007-06-25 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Saaaalid!!!!!
2007-06-25 10:24 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Rock on, Donkey!  E to the AW!!
2007-06-25 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race man!  Huge improvements in the swim.  Amazing what TITP can do for an athlete like youself.  If this was an A race for you, no doubt you would have went sub 5!  I am sure you will have an awesome race at IMWI!

2007-06-25 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Great race. You looked so fresh on the second loop when you blew by me. You will kick A$$ at MOO
2007-06-25 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race! pretty impressive effort for a 'training' session. Sounds like some good lessons learned for MOO.
2007-06-25 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Nice race!  Check out that swim...massive improvement.  Glad that you kept your goggles on this time!
2007-06-25 1:45 PM

User image

Expert

Smokin' race donkus!  Its great to see those improvements from months of hard training, eh?

2007-06-25 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Nice race! I hear ya on zooming HRs -- hit 100% on my race and got a bit freaked

You are ready for IRONMAN

2007-06-25 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I hate to think what you would have done to this course if you WERE seriously focusing on it. Scary fast, Dude. Congrats.
2007-06-25 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
5hrs 7 mins on a relaxed race!  You sick freek!  Seriously you rocked the house and it's amazing that you weren't even doing an A effort on this!  I'd hate you if you weren't such a Donkey!   Great race dude!  You are the benchmark for us to keep racing and working towards although me thinks you'll always be outta my reach!  Awesome job!
2007-06-25 5:23 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

So that was just training huh??  Freak!!

Nice job

2007-06-25 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Great race & awesome times, at least way better than I could ever do in that distance!
2007-06-25 9:39 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Holy Moly! How did I miss this!!?!?!?
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW

You ROCK!  

2007-06-26 2:52 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK

You just did a HIM in 5:07 and are talking about being a cop out. You are a crazy Donkey for sure. And I better get my a$$ in the pool before you start swimming faster than me too......

Awesome job. 

2007-06-26 1:22 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

You're pretty freakin' fast for an a$$!!!

Seriously, great race. Smokin' fast times, indeed. 

EEEEEEEEAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!! 

2007-06-27 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

GREAT RACE Joe!  I'm happy for you...managing the race and coming in strong.  Sweeeet swim you dog.  Focking 21+ on a HIM bike too?  NIIICEEEEEE.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed