BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-04-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed
Originally posted by CRFTX2001

I got back from my race a few hours ago. I hit my goal time and got 3rd place in my division.
Here's the link to the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Awesome Dude - It sounds like the manatees were kickin' but this weekend.

Runny Nose CX race in the bag - 5th overall (I was hoping to stand on a box but I am still pretty happy)
race report - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Edited by DaveL 2016-04-04 6:29 AM

2016-04-03 5:18 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Reality check here…. I love triathlon training, I love the sport, I love seeing how I make progress and how I feel better. But at the same time I think I let myself be absorbed too much. I have kids who need my attention and who need to spend time with me (I work full time Mon-Fri and we are home after 6 pm on those days). I need social life, because I love people. I need hiking, because it clears my mind and I love being in the nature with my kids. I am back to school and I have to focus on that piece as well. I also need some REST at least once in a while. I am stressing so much that I am not achieving the milestones I set up in my “annual training plan”. Will I make it before this race, what will I do after that race, what to do between those two races…. Yes – it is fun, I love this adrenaline, and I like that triathlon is giving me additional goal in life, but I think my current attitude is more like: I gotta complete all of these in this year, THIS YEAR, and not any other. I need to slap my face a little bit with reality and understand that I still have plenty of years coming when I can achieve all those sport goals. I don’t have to do IM in the next 5 years – if I do it in 10 years it will be fine too. My point is… I think I am taking too much on my shoulder, and at the same time I want to be perfect with everything, which is impossible. Then something collapses and I get upset. So – back to the reality: I don’t have to be a master of disaster in triathlon this year. I can be fine triathlete, who also hikes and camps with kids, and who is a fine student and enjoys social life. A little bit of everything, instead of full mouth of everything, to the point I have to puke. Sorry, my Friday reflection… I hope everyone is looking forward to a beautiful weekend!

A lot of people do get caught up in things at times, or even a lot of the time. Glad to see you recognized that happening before you burned out, or worse. With so many things going on in this sport it can happen fairly easily.

2016-04-03 5:32 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by DaveL

Originally posted by CRFTX2001

I got back from my race a few hours ago. I hit my goal time and got 3rd place in my division.
Here's the link to the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Awesome Dude - It sounds like the manatees were kickin' but this weekend.

Runny Nose CX race in the bag - 5th overall (I was hoping to stand on a box but I am still pretty happy)
Great job guys. My run did not go so well, I was officially last. I did this event with my friend K, who is slow at the best of times but she had some issues yesterday, which slowed her down even more. I let her cross in front of me so that she wouldn't be last.
2016-04-03 6:09 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by CRFTX2001 I got back from my race a few hours ago. I hit my goal time and got 3rd place in my division. Here's the link to the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Awesome Dude - It sounds like the manatees were kickin' but this weekend. Runny Nose CX race in the bag - 5th overall (I was hoping to stand on a box but I am still pretty happy)
Great job guys. My run did not go so well, I was officially last. I did this event with my friend K, who is slow at the best of times but she had some issues yesterday, which slowed her down even more. I let her cross in front of me so that she wouldn't be last.

And that right there makes you first overall in my book.  Congrats.

2016-04-03 6:10 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 I got back from my race a few hours ago. I hit my goal time and got 3rd place in my division. Here's the link to the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Awesome Dude - It sounds like the manatees were kickin' but this weekend. Runny Nose CX race in the bag - 5th overall (I was hoping to stand on a box but I am still pretty happy)

Way to go to both of you!!

2016-04-03 7:58 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by IronOx

absolutely - way to support a friend.

2016-04-04 6:16 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Winning comes in many forms!!! Congrats Stacey.

2016-04-04 8:21 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by cdban66

Im really not that noble as I must admit there was a bit of an internal argument going on as to whether I could actually do it or not and the competitive side of me that has been buried for a while reared it's head and didn't like it at all.

The selfish side of me has also been struggling for the last couple of days with how I go about supporting K with her goal and also achieving my own goals at the same time. Her mental state and health issues are such at this point in time that I can't leave her at the start line of events for us both to"run our own race" and meet at the finish line. She needs to have someone with her. Luckily for me there are other people doing 2 of the next 3 events that we have planned with us that will do them with her and she will be away for the third so it has kind of ended up taking care of itself really. So I can cross that excuse off my list for not going after my goals now.
2016-04-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Happy belated birthday Adrienne!

Congrats Dave and Connor!! Great races gents!

Stacey - you are a great person and friend. Given the circumstances you definitely did the right thing. Taking care of our friends and family should always be the first priority.

As for me, I had a great birthday race, winning my AG and placing 3rd overall. Took it easy on the swim, hit my bike target watts, then ran better than I could have imagined. I'll go work on a RR.

Hope everyone is off to a great start to the week!

Edited by Jet Black 2016-04-04 8:32 AM
2016-04-04 8:55 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Jet Black

Stacey - you are a great person and friend. Given the circumstances you definitely did the right thing. Taking care of our friends and family should always be the first priority.

As for me, I had a great birthday race, winning my AG and placing 3rd overall. Took it easy on the swim, hit my bike target watts, then ran better than I could have imagined. I'll go work on a RR.

Great job Sean.

Have a great Monday everyone mine is done and I'm off to bed.
2016-04-04 9:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

BIG kudos to Stacey, nice job being there with your friend from start to finish and not letting her be last.  It sounds like you have a plan to help keep your own future race plans in line with a little help from other friends.  

And wow, our manatee men really represented well this weekend, Sean, Connor and Dave.  Excellent work, fellows!  Speedy bunch.

2016-04-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by marysia83 Reality check here…. I love triathlon training, I love the sport, I love seeing how I make progress and how I feel better. But at the same time I think I let myself be absorbed too much. I have kids who need my attention and who need to spend time with me (I work full time Mon-Fri and we are home after 6 pm on those days). I need social life, because I love people. I need hiking, because it clears my mind and I love being in the nature with my kids. I am back to school and I have to focus on that piece as well. I also need some REST at least once in a while. I am stressing so much that I am not achieving the milestones I set up in my “annual training plan”. Will I make it before this race, what will I do after that race, what to do between those two races…. Yes – it is fun, I love this adrenaline, and I like that triathlon is giving me additional goal in life, but I think my current attitude is more like: I gotta complete all of these in this year, THIS YEAR, and not any other. I need to slap my face a little bit with reality and understand that I still have plenty of years coming when I can achieve all those sport goals. I don’t have to do IM in the next 5 years – if I do it in 10 years it will be fine too. My point is… I think I am taking too much on my shoulder, and at the same time I want to be perfect with everything, which is impossible. Then something collapses and I get upset. So – back to the reality: I don’t have to be a master of disaster in triathlon this year. I can be fine triathlete, who also hikes and camps with kids, and who is a fine student and enjoys social life. A little bit of everything, instead of full mouth of everything, to the point I have to puke. Sorry, my Friday reflection… I hope everyone is looking forward to a beautiful weekend!

I had a similar realization last year.  I just couldn't keep up the training I needed to be a cyclist and/or triathlete while still being a father, husband, employee, and friend.  I enjoy weightlifting like you do hiking, and honestly I just don't have the energy to panic about missing a workout in preparation for X race.

I remembered when I just started triathlon training, it being about getting in shape and having fun.  It's taken a while, but I've finally gotten back to that mindset.  I'm not worried about being the world champion at everything I touch.  I just want to be healthy and enjoy what I do.  Glad you are able to find your limits.

2016-04-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Jet Black

Nice job!
2016-04-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Mary G - Balance, we all have to find it.  For each of us, it’s different and for many of us, it’s a moving target and we have to adjust our training and goals/expectations accordingly.  

McMatt - I’m so glad that you are feeling better.  Did I see that you were able to run outside today?  Let us know when you are well enough that we can removed you from the DL.

Robin - Ear infection, ugh!  I hope that you are back in the pool soon!

Ben - April Fools snow, huh?

Connor - Smoking race!  Congrats on your placement!  (big age range there!)

Dave - Congrats on the race! (did not see the race report, is it public?)

Stacey - It’s great the way that you were there to support K!

Sean - Awesome race! Way to find the short course speed with the long course training!

Judi - I know that you’ve struggled with your decision about tri (see Facebook).  It all goes back to what Mary said about balance.  I hope that you’ve found yours.

MR Matt and TJ - I hope that both of you are feeling better.

All - Pay attention, a new thread is coming soon!

2016-04-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Mary G - Balance, we all have to find it.  For each of us, it’s different and for many of us, it’s a moving target and we have to adjust our training and goals/expectations accordingly.  

McMatt - I’m so glad that you are feeling better.  Did I see that you were able to run outside today?  Let us know when you are well enough that we can removed you from the DL.

Sean - Awesome race! Way to find the short course speed with the long course training!

Judi - I know that you’ve struggled with your decision about tri (see Facebook).  It all goes back to what Mary said about balance.  I hope that you’ve found yours.

Yes to everything Janyne said   Seriously, congratulations to all the racers, you all had great races, so well done!  

Hmm, I guess I'll have to find Judi on Facebook and friend request her to find out what the decision is -although I'm pretty confident I know. 

2016-04-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Yes to everything Janyne said   Seriously, congratulations to all the racers, you all had great races, so well done!  

Hmm, I guess I'll have to find Judi on Facebook and friend request her to find out what the decision is -although I'm pretty confident I know. 

Re: Judi, it's in her BT log as well. I just saw it first on FB.

2016-04-04 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Laura,

How is Vivaldi?

2016-04-04 10:25 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Im really not that noble as I must admit there was a bit of an internal argument going on as to whether I could actually do it or not and the competitive side of me that has been buried for a while reared it's head and didn't like it at all. The selfish side of me has also been struggling for the last couple of days with how I go about supporting K with her goal and also achieving my own goals at the same time. Her mental state and health issues are such at this point in time that I can't leave her at the start line of events for us both to"run our own race" and meet at the finish line. She needs to have someone with her. Luckily for me there are other people doing 2 of the next 3 events that we have planned with us that will do them with her and she will be away for the third so it has kind of ended up taking care of itself really. So I can cross that excuse off my list for not going after my goals now.

To me, nobility is in action more than thought.  I know what you mean though, as I had the same struggles running with my SIL.  Support can come in many forms, and she will need to learn to run on her own two feet at some point.  I know you said that the next two are taken care of, but after that, can you break runs/races in half, with the first half together, and the second half you run your pace and cheer her in at the finish?  Just food for thought.  Either way, good on you for being a good friend, and a good example!

2016-04-04 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Laura,

How is Vivaldi?

For the long version, I've got the rundown in my BT logs from Sun/Mon. She's with the doc now, I'll update when I know more. Also, I have my own follow up with my doc this afternoon.
2016-04-04 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

fixxed now - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2016-04-04 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

A dumptruck of awesome this weekend!  Congrats to our racers - great results (both in placement and in outcomes - to our lanterne rouge)! 

Been thinking about the balance discussion and comments about getting back to doing this just for enjoyment and not necessarily peak performance or such.  In my observations, many people have peaks and valleys of both interest and the time they allot to certain hobbies.  As a "serial obsessionist," I certainly have followed suit over the decades.

All comes down to maximizing endorphins, for me.  Whether that's from skiing, flying, fishing, boating, running, triathlon, hunting, ukelele or tiddlywinks is no matter.

What's been kind of fun for me is that as my body won't do quiiiiite as much as it used to, having gotten at least decent at some things over the years, I can often go back to those formerly consuming pursuits and have fun with them just as a dilettante.  The only ones that I can't (or won't, more accurately) approach that way and to which I give my full effort are family and work. 

So, all the others come after.  Leaves room, for me, for ONE obsessive pursuit (its own kind of fun, for sure) or having fun with a bunch of things in a less intense way.  Been back and forth there this last year, and it's been both fun and a learning experience.

**ramble mode off (if only briefly)**

Matt

2016-04-04 12:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Yes, do that.  I have decided to call the end of triathlon for me.  I no longer trust my legs to cooperate with a build of any sort without having to bail on races.  Time to get back to doing a little of this/ a little of that for my health and finding joy in running again.  (as opposed to the constant fear of injury and the rehab/ injury cycle)

I'm going to Aquabike the Williamsburg Rwv 3 because I simply can't trust them to build the run back.  After the, selling gear.  The Lovely Lola too...sad to sell her--but makes no sense to keep a full carbon try bike if I'm not doing triathlons.

I'm perfectly at peace with this decision.  It'r a realistic assessment of my health and life status that indicates these legs are toast.  Time to find a new path and haven in fitness.

2016-04-04 12:18 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Yes, do that.  I have decided to call the end of triathlon for me.  I no longer trust my legs to cooperate with a build of any sort without having to bail on races.  Time to get back to doing a little of this/ a little of that for my health and finding joy in running again.  (as opposed to the constant fear of injury and the rehab/ injury cycle)

I'm going to Aquabike the Williamsburg Rwv 3 because I simply can't trust them to build the run back.  After the, selling gear.  The Lovely Lola too...sad to sell her--but makes no sense to keep a full carbon try bike if I'm not doing triathlons.

I'm perfectly at peace with this decision.  It'r a realistic assessment of my health and life status that indicates these legs are toast.  Time to find a new path and haven in fitness.

Parting is such sweet sorrow, no? (with triathlon, not the pod, I hope!

I'm happy for you that you've figured out what you need and are making a positive decision to continue to pursue happiness in the best way for you.

Closing one door, while in some ways sad, opens others...

I hope (like some other "run only" folks of note) that you'll still pop in when you can and say hey to the pod!  (what kind of sounds do manatees make, anyway?)

My best to you, Judi. 

Matt

2016-04-04 12:31 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Katy, Texas
Matt - I love it. I too am a serial obsessionist. When's the support meeting? lol

Judi - Sounds like you're making a good decision. Best of luck with whatever you take on next!

My RR is up. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2016-04-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Parting is such sweet sorrow, no? (with triathlon, not the pod, I hope!

I'm happy for you that you've figured out what you need and are making a positive decision to continue to pursue happiness in the best way for you.

Closing one door, while in some ways sad, opens others...

I hope (like some other "run only" folks of note) that you'll still pop in when you can and say hey to the pod!  (what kind of sounds do manatees make, anyway?)

My best to you, Judi. 

Matt

Oh!  I had assumed that Judi would stay with the pod!  We have plenty of single sport Manatees!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.