BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-08-18 5:27 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by Hot Runner

A little eye candy from my birthday weekend, celebrated in triathlon style (well, sort of--no running)!
#1 Waldo Lake, site of 5K + swim on Saturday (water was 64 degrees--definitely needed the wetsuit!)
#2 Riding 51 miles on my 51st birthday (this wasn't intentional!). This is the far point of the out and back ride to an old covered bridge.

Happy belated birthday, looks like a beautiful place for a swim and ride!

2020-08-18 6:32 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by Hot Runner A little eye candy from my birthday weekend, celebrated in triathlon style (well, sort of--no running)! #1 Waldo Lake, site of 5K + swim on Saturday (water was 64 degrees--definitely needed the wetsuit!) #2 Riding 51 miles on my 51st birthday (this wasn't intentional!). This is the far point of the out and back ride to an old covered bridge.

Yes it does and happy belated bday from me too!

2020-08-18 8:18 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner A little eye candy from my birthday weekend, celebrated in triathlon style (well, sort of--no running)! #1 Waldo Lake, site of 5K + swim on Saturday (water was 64 degrees--definitely needed the wetsuit!) #2 Riding 51 miles on my 51st birthday (this wasn't intentional!). This is the far point of the out and back ride to an old covered bridge.

Nice!

2020-08-18 9:48 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

Yes it does and happy belated bday from me too!

Sorry I missed your birthday. What a great present ti yourself.
2020-08-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Denver, Colorado

A little eye candy from my birthday weekend, celebrated in triathlon style (well, sort of--no running)!
#1 Waldo Lake, site of 5K + swim on Saturday (water was 64 degrees--definitely needed the wetsuit!)
#2 Riding 51 miles on my 51st birthday (this wasn't intentional!). This is the far point of the out and back ride to an old covered bridge.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! That sounds like an awesome way to spend your birthday!

Also... what day was your birthday...? Because mine was August 15th! So far I have not met another person to share my b-day with, except Napoleon Bonaparte (whom I have not actually met in person...)
2020-08-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks everyone for your feedback on the gravel bike, this was very helpful.
My partner left his road bike with me (which is super light and nice Cannondale thingie... that basically ride itself ))), and I can use it for training and races. At some point I will buy a gravel, per your fantastic suggestions, so we can ride together (right now he is still living in IL). I will also suggest your advice on waiting until some sort of end of Covid, when people start selling their bikes.

2020-08-18 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! That sounds like an awesome way to spend your birthday! Also... what day was your birthday...? Because mine was August 15th! So far I have not met another person to share my b-day with, except Napoleon Bonaparte (whom I have not actually met in person...)

And happy belated birthday to you!! 

2020-08-18 8:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Marysia, my actual birthday was on Sunday (the 16th). So sorry, you still don't have a fellow birthday girl. I only know one person who shares my birthday, one of my former colleagues in Vietnam. There is likely a Hispanic man in California who was born a few minutes before me in the same hospital--two women in labor and giving birth at almost the same time!

And my smallest cat, Tomoko, was born on my birthday, 44 years after me! (Not really a coincidence--I didn't have FB at the time but was looking for a buddy for Smudgee. A friend forwarded me a picture and article from a Saigon animal rescue FB page, "Largest Litter Ever Born at ARC Shelter" (Tomoko was one of nine kittens) with the comment, "Birthday present?" It just kind of worked out.)

As for the birthday "triathlon", there was a run but it had to wait till today due to other commitments yesterday. Attaching picture of today's run at the Oregon coast. "Social distancing" is not much of an issue there most of the time!

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-08-18 8:04 PM

(IMG_20200818_114627502.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20200818_114627502.jpg (167KB - 2 downloads)
2020-08-19 7:36 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerMarysia, my actual birthday was on Sunday (the 16th). So sorry, you still don't have a fellow birthday girl. I only know one person who shares my birthday, one of my former colleagues in Vietnam. There is likely a Hispanic man in California who was born a few minutes before me in the same hospital--two women in labor and giving birth at almost the same time!And my smallest cat, Tomoko, was born on my birthday, 44 years after me! (Not really a coincidence--I didn't have FB at the time but was looking for a buddy for Smudgee. A friend forwarded me a picture and article from a Saigon animal rescue FB page, "Largest Litter Ever Born at ARC Shelter" (Tomoko was one of nine kittens) with the comment, "Birthday present?" It just kind of worked out.)As for the birthday "triathlon", there was a run but it had to wait till today due to other commitments yesterday. Attaching picture of today's run at the Oregon coast. "Social distancing" is not much of an issue there most of the time!
i turned a tad green with envy. What a great place to run.
2020-08-19 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Marysia, my actual birthday was on Sunday (the 16th). So sorry, you still don't have a fellow birthday girl. I only know one person who shares my birthday, one of my former colleagues in Vietnam. There is likely a Hispanic man in California who was born a few minutes before me in the same hospital--two women in labor and giving birth at almost the same time! And my smallest cat, Tomoko, was born on my birthday, 44 years after me! (Not really a coincidence--I didn't have FB at the time but was looking for a buddy for Smudgee. A friend forwarded me a picture and article from a Saigon animal rescue FB page, "Largest Litter Ever Born at ARC Shelter" (Tomoko was one of nine kittens) with the comment, "Birthday present?" It just kind of worked out.) As for the birthday "triathlon", there was a run but it had to wait till today due to other commitments yesterday. Attaching picture of today's run at the Oregon coast. "Social distancing" is not much of an issue there most of the time!

That's beautiful.

2020-08-19 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 Thanks everyone for your feedback on the gravel bike, this was very helpful. My partner left his road bike with me (which is super light and nice Cannondale thingie... that basically ride itself ))), and I can use it for training and races. At some point I will buy a gravel, per your fantastic suggestions, so we can ride together (right now he is still living in IL). I will also suggest your advice on waiting until some sort of end of Covid, when people start selling their bikes.

Happy belated birthday!

2020-08-19 10:02 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Marysia, my actual birthday was on Sunday (the 16th). So sorry, you still don't have a fellow birthday girl. I only know one person who shares my birthday, one of my former colleagues in Vietnam. There is likely a Hispanic man in California who was born a few minutes before me in the same hospital--two women in labor and giving birth at almost the same time!

And my smallest cat, Tomoko, was born on my birthday, 44 years after me! (Not really a coincidence--I didn't have FB at the time but was looking for a buddy for Smudgee. A friend forwarded me a picture and article from a Saigon animal rescue FB page, "Largest Litter Ever Born at ARC Shelter" (Tomoko was one of nine kittens) with the comment, "Birthday present?" It just kind of worked out.)

As for the birthday "triathlon", there was a run but it had to wait till today due to other commitments yesterday. Attaching picture of today's run at the Oregon coast. "Social distancing" is not much of an issue there most of the time!

That view is gorgeous!
Also... Madonna (singer) shares birthday with you. And I have one more friend who is Aug 16th. Still no Aug 15th folks
2020-08-19 9:43 PM

User image

Proof of life:

Sorry I've been staying away but I've been avoiding thinking about triathlons. My knee has been bothering me since May and I was finally able to get it checked. The x-ray showed arthritis and a bone spur and my doctor said no more running. He also said that triathlons don't sound very safe. He gave me a choice between PT and a cortisone shot. I picked door number one because I want to know what's really going on with my knee and I don't want pain masked.

The physical therapist looked at the x-rays did an assessment of entire left leg. We are not denying there is arthritis but in her opinion not enough to keep me from running. The real problem is my left ankle and lack of mobility due to my surgery. My tibia and fibula are basically collapsing and not allowing me to bend my ankle more than 4 cm while my right ankle bends to 15 cm. So she gave me some exercises to pull the bones back up and that work on flexibility.

So I've been pouting. And the physical therapy to realign the bones is not pleasant.

Oh, and I'm going back into the classroom tomorrow because the person who replaced me is high risk if he were to get COVID. He retired on Friday and they called me to ask if I would fill in until they find someone. They are going to pay my health insurance plus what I made last year. Last year I did not get health insurance. So, I'm back in the classroom for 46 days I'm allowed under the guidelines set by the teachers retirement rules or until they find someone. We start 100% in-person teaching tomorrow and I'm a bit paranoid right now haha.

I'll pop in more because I need to stay sane.
2020-08-20 9:58 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Also proof of life here - I've been reading all of your posts just bad about jumping into the conversation 

This was supposed to be "peak week" training for my Ironman, so it's kind of bittersweet. I really wanted to race this Ironman as a "final chapter" for long distance and it would have been a cool story to do my last where I did my first - exactly 10 years later and with my original Iron buddy. But on the flip side, I'm enjoying (maybe a little too much?) the working from home, no commute, no rush or fuss in the mornings and having a great job with a great company. I also (intentionally) lost 15 pounds between May and August so am just feeling so good these days. Continuing with a sweet spot in training volume I've found - 2 swims, 3 runs (with the long run being heavy on the walking) and 3 bikes per week - but not really sure where to go from here.

In not great news, found out today that my former boss (part of my 10-person team at work) and her husband have COVID. She was one of those who was not really changing any of her lifestyle in the pandemic, meticulously getting hair and nails done every 6 weeks, in-person church, around lots of people. I'm not surprised, but I'm sad for them and glad they're not hospitalized. 

And good news to end, I've started the process of looking for a home to buy in Atlanta. I've been here for 3 years now and have been renting this whole time. Interest rates are below 3% so it's a really great time to buy, the only issue is inventory is so low. There was a really promising house last week (in my favorite neighborhood - private lake with 2.5-mile path around it, river access, 3 pools with lap swimming hours!) that got snatched up before it even had a chance to be listed. It seems that's how it's going to go, but I'm not in a rush and willing to wait for the perfect opportunity to come along. It's nice to have something to be excited about and look forward to.

2020-08-20 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Proof of life: Sorry I've been staying away but I've been avoiding thinking about triathlons. My knee has been bothering me since May and I was finally able to get it checked. The x-ray showed arthritis and a bone spur and my doctor said no more running. He also said that triathlons don't sound very safe. He gave me a choice between PT and a cortisone shot. I picked door number one because I want to know what's really going on with my knee and I don't want pain masked. The physical therapist looked at the x-rays did an assessment of entire left leg. We are not denying there is arthritis but in her opinion not enough to keep me from running. The real problem is my left ankle and lack of mobility due to my surgery. My tibia and fibula are basically collapsing and not allowing me to bend my ankle more than 4 cm while my right ankle bends to 15 cm. So she gave me some exercises to pull the bones back up and that work on flexibility. So I've been pouting. And the physical therapy to realign the bones is not pleasant. Oh, and I'm going back into the classroom tomorrow because the person who replaced me is high risk if he were to get COVID. He retired on Friday and they called me to ask if I would fill in until they find someone. They are going to pay my health insurance plus what I made last year. Last year I did not get health insurance. So, I'm back in the classroom for 46 days I'm allowed under the guidelines set by the teachers retirement rules or until they find someone. We start 100% in-person teaching tomorrow and I'm a bit paranoid right now haha. I'll pop in more because I need to stay sane.

Sorry, you've been having injury issues! I know it's hard to stay motivated when it hurts to do things and hope PT will get you to a point where you are in less pain! Re the doctor who told you no running bc of arthritis in your knee - get a new doctor! That is old school thinking. Movement is good for arthritis, as is a positive mental attitude -google it   I'm glad your PT agrees that your knee is not the issue. AS far as what is enough arthritis to stop you from running - I have stage 4 in my right knee, told knee replacement was next step. I continue to run and have no unmanageable pain. In fact, I never really think about my knee. Everyone is different of course, but don't let that diagnosis scare you. Take care of your ankle and I hope you can then get back to pain-free or at least pain manageable running!

Stay safe in the classroom!

2020-08-20 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by fortissimoProof of life:Sorry I've been staying away but I've been avoiding thinking about triathlons. My knee has been bothering me since May and I was finally able to get it checked. The x-ray showed arthritis and a bone spur and my doctor said no more running. He also said that triathlons don't sound very safe. He gave me a choice between PT and a cortisone shot. I picked door number one because I want to know what's really going on with my knee and I don't want pain masked.The physical therapist looked at the x-rays did an assessment of entire left leg. We are not denying there is arthritis but in her opinion not enough to keep me from running. The real problem is my left ankle and lack of mobility due to my surgery. My tibia and fibula are basically collapsing and not allowing me to bend my ankle more than 4 cm while my right ankle bends to 15 cm. So she gave me some exercises to pull the bones back up and that work on flexibility.So I've been pouting. And the physical therapy to realign the bones is not pleasant.Oh, and I'm going back into the classroom tomorrow because the person who replaced me is high risk if he were to get COVID. He retired on Friday and they called me to ask if I would fill in until they find someone. They are going to pay my health insurance plus what I made last year. Last year I did not get health insurance. So, I'm back in the classroom for 46 days I'm allowed under the guidelines set by the teachers retirement rules or until they find someone. We start 100% in-person teaching tomorrow and I'm a bit paranoid right now haha.I'll pop in more because I need to stay sane.
i have horrible arthritis in my knee. My doc says that it won't hurt it any more to run and he emphasized I MUST keep moving. The level of pain is what i use to judge when to slow down.and... PT is the best. Di the work and it will help.

Edited by ceilidh 2020-08-20 10:41 AM

2020-08-21 9:31 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo Proof of life: Sorry I've been staying away but I've been avoiding thinking about triathlons. My knee has been bothering me since May and I was finally able to get it checked. The x-ray showed arthritis and a bone spur and my doctor said no more running. He also said that triathlons don't sound very safe. He gave me a choice between PT and a cortisone shot. I picked door number one because I want to know what's really going on with my knee and I don't want pain masked. The physical therapist looked at the x-rays did an assessment of entire left leg. We are not denying there is arthritis but in her opinion not enough to keep me from running. The real problem is my left ankle and lack of mobility due to my surgery. My tibia and fibula are basically collapsing and not allowing me to bend my ankle more than 4 cm while my right ankle bends to 15 cm. So she gave me some exercises to pull the bones back up and that work on flexibility. So I've been pouting. And the physical therapy to realign the bones is not pleasant. Oh, and I'm going back into the classroom tomorrow because the person who replaced me is high risk if he were to get COVID. He retired on Friday and they called me to ask if I would fill in until they find someone. They are going to pay my health insurance plus what I made last year. Last year I did not get health insurance. So, I'm back in the classroom for 46 days I'm allowed under the guidelines set by the teachers retirement rules or until they find someone. We start 100% in-person teaching tomorrow and I'm a bit paranoid right now haha. I'll pop in more because I need to stay sane.

Thanks for checking in, Robin.  Sorry to hear about the arthritis and ankle stuff.  Bone repositioning PT does not sound pleasant but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run, no pun intended.  As far as running with arthritis, I'm part of the stage 4 gang.  I've had some scraped out arthroscopically (fronding growth - fun) and continue to run and ride and play hockey.  Do my knees sometimes hurt from these activities?  Yup.  Ya know what really makes them hurt more?  Doing nothing.  Ann-Marie speaks the truth, keeping moving most certainly helps.

Wishing you luck with your unplanned reinsertion into teaching.  Stay well, stay safe!

Edited by melbo55 2020-08-21 9:35 AM
2020-08-21 9:34 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by lisac957

Also proof of life here - I've been reading all of your posts just bad about jumping into the conversation 

This was supposed to be "peak week" training for my Ironman, so it's kind of bittersweet. I really wanted to race this Ironman as a "final chapter" for long distance and it would have been a cool story to do my last where I did my first - exactly 10 years later and with my original Iron buddy. But on the flip side, I'm enjoying (maybe a little too much?) the working from home, no commute, no rush or fuss in the mornings and having a great job with a great company. I also (intentionally) lost 15 pounds between May and August so am just feeling so good these days. Continuing with a sweet spot in training volume I've found - 2 swims, 3 runs (with the long run being heavy on the walking) and 3 bikes per week - but not really sure where to go from here.

In not great news, found out today that my former boss (part of my 10-person team at work) and her husband have COVID. She was one of those who was not really changing any of her lifestyle in the pandemic, meticulously getting hair and nails done every 6 weeks, in-person church, around lots of people. I'm not surprised, but I'm sad for them and glad they're not hospitalized. 

And good news to end, I've started the process of looking for a home to buy in Atlanta. I've been here for 3 years now and have been renting this whole time. Interest rates are below 3% so it's a really great time to buy, the only issue is inventory is so low. There was a really promising house last week (in my favorite neighborhood - private lake with 2.5-mile path around it, river access, 3 pools with lap swimming hours!) that got snatched up before it even had a chance to be listed. It seems that's how it's going to go, but I'm not in a rush and willing to wait for the perfect opportunity to come along. It's nice to have something to be excited about and look forward to.

Overall you have a lot of good in your life and that is wonderful news!  Weight loss: check!  Staying active and healthy, both mentally and physcially: check!  Looking for a home: check!  It is definitely a seller's market right now with housing, I wish you luck in finding the right abode and location for your wants and needs.  

2020-08-21 11:51 AM

Good luck in finding the perfect home. I check in on your training log here and there for a little motivation. You are killing it on that front!!!
2020-08-21 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Marysia, my actual birthday was on Sunday (the 16th). So sorry, you still don't have a fellow birthday girl. I only know one person who shares my birthday, one of my former colleagues in Vietnam. There is likely a Hispanic man in California who was born a few minutes before me in the same hospital--two women in labor and giving birth at almost the same time! And my smallest cat, Tomoko, was born on my birthday, 44 years after me! (Not really a coincidence--I didn't have FB at the time but was looking for a buddy for Smudgee. A friend forwarded me a picture and article from a Saigon animal rescue FB page, "Largest Litter Ever Born at ARC Shelter" (Tomoko was one of nine kittens) with the comment, "Birthday present?" It just kind of worked out.) As for the birthday "triathlon", there was a run but it had to wait till today due to other commitments yesterday. Attaching picture of today's run at the Oregon coast. "Social distancing" is not much of an issue there most of the time!

Another beautiful picture! What a lovely coast.  The runner in the picture isn't half bad either ;-)

2020-08-21 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for checking in.  {{hugs}} on the PT. It sounds worse that shoulder PT.  I actually asked my PT, "so you want me to hurt myself to get better?"  Yes, it was that much fun.  Have you started to see some progress or is it too soon to tell?

I hope that you school year (well, school up to 46 days) goes well.

2020-08-21 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fingers crossed on the house shopping front! I think that it helps that you know the area and that you are out and about for walks and runs.  I know someone who wanted a historic home close to campus and they found the house they eventually bought on a walk. It had either just been listed or had a "coming soon" type sign.  Good luck!

Congrats on the weight loss and fitness gains!

2020-08-21 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm sorry your former boss has COVID, but all your other news is good! Good luck house hunting, i"m sure you'll find the perfect spot. 

2020-08-21 5:17 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Sorry for the bad news... I hope they will recover quickly!

Good luck with home hunting, fingers crossed!
2020-08-21 5:22 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Proof of life:

Sorry I've been staying away but I've been avoiding thinking about triathlons. My knee has been bothering me since May and I was finally able to get it checked. The x-ray showed arthritis and a bone spur and my doctor said no more running. He also said that triathlons don't sound very safe. He gave me a choice between PT and a cortisone shot. I picked door number one because I want to know what's really going on with my knee and I don't want pain masked.

The physical therapist looked at the x-rays did an assessment of entire left leg. We are not denying there is arthritis but in her opinion not enough to keep me from running. The real problem is my left ankle and lack of mobility due to my surgery. My tibia and fibula are basically collapsing and not allowing me to bend my ankle more than 4 cm while my right ankle bends to 15 cm. So she gave me some exercises to pull the bones back up and that work on flexibility.

So I've been pouting. And the physical therapy to realign the bones is not pleasant.

Oh, and I'm going back into the classroom tomorrow because the person who replaced me is high risk if he were to get COVID. He retired on Friday and they called me to ask if I would fill in until they find someone. They are going to pay my health insurance plus what I made last year. Last year I did not get health insurance. So, I'm back in the classroom for 46 days I'm allowed under the guidelines set by the teachers retirement rules or until they find someone. We start 100% in-person teaching tomorrow and I'm a bit paranoid right now haha.

I'll pop in more because I need to stay sane.

I am so sorry aboutthe knee... I hope the PT helps work it all out, and that you will be able to run and train again.

My kids started school this week, and so far so good... so am hoping it will stay this way for at least a while, and hopefully forever!
What school do you teach at, and what subject? (what school = elem, middle, hs)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127