BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-08-22 10:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Quick update:  today I did two things: the double brick challenge with my coaching group: 10 mile bike, 2 mile run, rinse, repeat.  #SpeedSherpaSwirl.  Then I climbed back on the bike for another 5.53 miles to finish off my PA Endurance Challenge, Interstate 1000K.  I've met the mileage requirement of 622 (624.xx, actually) before the deadline of Sept. 7, so anything else from here on out is a bonus!  It started June 8.

I have to admit the double brick was actually fun.  For realz!  And the 10 mile bike rides seemed so short and fast.  Best part:  I saw USMC guy on the first run and he ran with us a bit doing 2 cadences.  I love him!!  He makes my day and my run.

Now I've gotta shower and get to Flinchbaugh's for peaches!

Edited by melbo55 2020-08-22 10:14 AM

2020-08-22 6:47 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just checking in. Love the variety of things everyone is up to!

I've really been struggling with back to work stress. The school year has started well. My admin, to me, has reasonable protocols in place & I've really enjoyed seeing 8th graders again. I have 2 sections (56 students) who are 100% online & then 86 students in 3 sections, but they are split into A & B cohorts, so I see half-ish of them each day. They have been troopers about masks & staying spread apart.

As good as it has gone, all the prep for home activities, daily activities for face to face students, and then my online students will take some time to streamline. That has caused considerable anxiety and pressure.

My husband also injured his back & could barely walk 2 of the last 4 weeks, so that added to the fun. Fortunately, he's ready to return to work.

I've done almost no workouts in 3 weeks which doesn't help my mental state. It seems the only thing I want to do is ride my gravel bike, so today I signed up for a gravel grinder (in Oct) and ordered what I need to go tubeless. We've had 2 gravel races in the Southeast in the last 6 weeks, so the Oct race may actually happen.

4 weeks ago, I was really considering IM Arizona in 2021, and today, it's not even a consideration. Stress is no joke.
2020-08-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

Just checking in. Love the variety of things everyone is up to!

I've really been struggling with back to work stress. The school year has started well. My admin, to me, has reasonable protocols in place & I've really enjoyed seeing 8th graders again. I have 2 sections (56 students) who are 100% online & then 86 students in 3 sections, but they are split into A & B cohorts, so I see half-ish of them each day. They have been troopers about masks & staying spread apart.

As good as it has gone, all the prep for home activities, daily activities for face to face students, and then my online students will take some time to streamline. That has caused considerable anxiety and pressure.

My husband also injured his back & could barely walk 2 of the last 4 weeks, so that added to the fun. Fortunately, he's ready to return to work.

I've done almost no workouts in 3 weeks which doesn't help my mental state. It seems the only thing I want to do is ride my gravel bike, so today I signed up for a gravel grinder (in Oct) and ordered what I need to go tubeless. We've had 2 gravel races in the Southeast in the last 6 weeks, so the Oct race may actually happen.

4 weeks ago, I was really considering IM Arizona in 2021, and today, it's not even a consideration. Stress is no joke.

We're lucky in that the district developed an online curriculum several years ago for homebound students and expelled students so that's what our online kids are using. They did take teachers from every building so those kids would have interactions with teachers while doing online.

We are not doing a hybrid, it's 100% in person. Each teacher has a cohort they keep with them all day except on elective. They are using the in-house program we've had for about 10 years. Everyone knows how to navigate to each class and can do the work from anywhere. I am assigned to one 8th grade cohort group so I have about 100 kids that come through my room.

Many of the online kids and their parents were not happy that they are not using our inhouse system and learning from teachers in our school. They didn't pay attention to the "this is an online curriculum and teachers will only be there for support, not teaching." So about 100 of our parents called yesterday to switch to in-person learning.

The stress is incredible right now. Good luck!!!
2020-08-24 1:31 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nancy, Robin and any other teachers - stay safe my friends.

It's such a bad spot to be in these days. I mean there is such disparity between schools within the same system never mind the whole country - who has access to good Internet, who has a good online plan and curriculum....and on and on. I'm glad I don't have kids in school. I do, however, think the high school and elementary schools are in better shape than colleges and Universities.

Anyway I hope everyone else is staying safe out there too, of course. Fall is right around the corner which is usually my favorite time of year. We'll see what this fall brings.

Can I get my flu shot yet?? :D
2020-08-24 7:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Hi all,

A little proof of life post. Training has been a struggle with nothing to train for, so I'm just trying to do enough to keep a base. I would like to blame life changes, which have been many, but it is really a lack of motivation.

We moved two to college and for both of them, the day after we moved them, their schools went on line. It make sense for both. One is at Michigan State and the new president is an epidemiologist. The other started med school in Chicago. The one in med school, even though they are on line is still required to be tested for COVID every week. They have both been trapped here with us since March and they needed to get out.

It's interesting to see what happens as kids return to school. We have had 14 schools with COVID outbreaks. The week after that news broke, Central Michigan University announced an outbreak their first week back with 48 new cases in first 5 days.

I have been dealing with a little thing call Michigan Mud Jam. If the name does not give it away, imagine 5,000-20,000 rebel flag waiving people with large trucks and a pit of mud for 5 days. Convincing these people that yes COVID is real and it's a bad idea to have their event, was a task. In the end it was convincing them that since they would have more than 100 people it would be deemed an illegal event and they would not have insurance coverage. Someone gets run over there every year, so insurance is kind of a big deal. The state and Health department would not do anything about the event, until after it started, which is too late. Once it started it was going to finish, we would have either had a riot or caused a major hazard by putting 5,000 plus drunks on the street. Plus I have roughly 25 police officers in county.

With the adjustment in my career, I had to resign from school board, and I'm not sad about that. Right now is a horrible time in education, and the decisions that every district has to face are difficult. I feel bad for the teachers and children, they are stuck in the middle and have no real voice in the process.
2020-08-25 11:05 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Nancy, Robin and any other teachers - stay safe my friends. It's such a bad spot to be in these days. I mean there is such disparity between schools within the same system never mind the whole country - who has access to good Internet, who has a good online plan and curriculum....and on and on. I'm glad I don't have kids in school. I do, however, think the high school and elementary schools are in better shape than colleges and Universities. Anyway I hope everyone else is staying safe out there too, of course. Fall is right around the corner which is usually my favorite time of year. We'll see what this fall brings. Can I get my flu shot yet?? :D

We have been doing homeschool for the past 5 years, so we are not impacted as much as others.  The past two years we have participated in a homeschool co-op where parents volunteer to teach a one-hour class one day a week for 9-weeks.  I taught beginner Spanish last fall and instead of doing a class in the spring started a Youth Running Club that got 100% of its participation from the home school co-op families. At our parents' meeting last week they discussed doing on-line classes but my wife said that she would in no way do an on-line class.  There are several on-line charter school options in Oklahoma and our co-op has always told families that were doing on-line that they couldn't do the co-op because it was for a traditional home school that is taught in the home by the parents.  So...the idea of doing our co-op classes on-line was not really an option for us. The idea of the co-op is to get our kids out of the home where they can learn social norms of how to behave in a group, meet other students their age, and learn something that their parents aren't knowledgeable enough to teach them (i.e. my girls took a chess class from a chess master, they took a choir class from the musical director at the local college, etc.).  Our co-op can meet if we have everyone wear masts and social distance, but if anyone in the co-op gets covid, the entire group will be required to quarantine and so classes will not be able to be finished.  With 50 people in the Co-op (and possibly more like 80 this time around since many families are not returning to public school and are getting involved in homeschool this fall) I figure that it is a 25-50% chance that someone in the group will get Covid-19.  So...the co-op will likely not do the nine-week classes they usually do, but rather go to one-hour workshops so we don't have the risk of starting a course and then not being able to ever finish it.   If we don't get the one-week workshops we will just do everything at home.  The co-op day is almost like a lost day some weeks because it makes it hard to stay on schedule with their regular curriculum.  If there is no co-op, no on-line classes, etc., they may get ahead on their studies but that will be okay.  We can always take a week-long vacation in October to help them get back on track if we feel they are getting too far ahead.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-08-25 12:24 PM

2020-08-25 1:55 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi all, A little proof of life post. Training has been a struggle with nothing to train for, so I'm just trying to do enough to keep a base. I would like to blame life changes, which have been many, but it is really a lack of motivation. We moved two to college and for both of them, the day after we moved them, their schools went on line. It make sense for both. One is at Michigan State and the new president is an epidemiologist. The other started med school in Chicago. The one in med school, even though they are on line is still required to be tested for COVID every week. They have both been trapped here with us since March and they needed to get out. It's interesting to see what happens as kids return to school. We have had 14 schools with COVID outbreaks. The week after that news broke, Central Michigan University announced an outbreak their first week back with 48 new cases in first 5 days. I have been dealing with a little thing call Michigan Mud Jam. If the name does not give it away, imagine 5,000-20,000 rebel flag waiving people with large trucks and a pit of mud for 5 days. Convincing these people that yes COVID is real and it's a bad idea to have their event, was a task. In the end it was convincing them that since they would have more than 100 people it would be deemed an illegal event and they would not have insurance coverage. Someone gets run over there every year, so insurance is kind of a big deal. The state and Health department would not do anything about the event, until after it started, which is too late. Once it started it was going to finish, we would have either had a riot or caused a major hazard by putting 5,000 plus drunks on the street. Plus I have roughly 25 police officers in county. With the adjustment in my career, I had to resign from school board, and I'm not sad about that. Right now is a horrible time in education, and the decisions that every district has to face are difficult. I feel bad for the teachers and children, they are stuck in the middle and have no real voice in the process.

Was it wrong for me to chuckle at the bolded statement?  Not that I want anyone hurt or killed, it just struck me funny.  It's good your daughters' classes got moved online, no doubt it gives you more peace of mind.

Good luck to all of you in positions where you are dealing with the associated aspects/challenges of COVID directly (educators, having to be in the workplace, etc.).  Stay safe, all.

2020-08-25 6:50 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi all, A little proof of life post. Training has been a struggle with nothing to train for, so I'm just trying to do enough to keep a base. I would like to blame life changes, which have been many, but it is really a lack of motivation. We moved two to college and for both of them, the day after we moved them, their schools went on line. It make sense for both. One is at Michigan State and the new president is an epidemiologist. The other started med school in Chicago. The one in med school, even though they are on line is still required to be tested for COVID every week. They have both been trapped here with us since March and they needed to get out. It's interesting to see what happens as kids return to school. We have had 14 schools with COVID outbreaks. The week after that news broke, Central Michigan University announced an outbreak their first week back with 48 new cases in first 5 days. I have been dealing with a little thing call Michigan Mud Jam. If the name does not give it away, imagine 5,000-20,000 rebel flag waiving people with large trucks and a pit of mud for 5 days. Convincing these people that yes COVID is real and it's a bad idea to have their event, was a task. In the end it was convincing them that since they would have more than 100 people it would be deemed an illegal event and they would not have insurance coverage. Someone gets run over there every year, so insurance is kind of a big deal. The state and Health department would not do anything about the event, until after it started, which is too late. Once it started it was going to finish, we would have either had a riot or caused a major hazard by putting 5,000 plus drunks on the street. Plus I have roughly 25 police officers in county. With the adjustment in my career, I had to resign from school board, and I'm not sad about that. Right now is a horrible time in education, and the decisions that every district has to face are difficult. I feel bad for the teachers and children, they are stuck in the middle and have no real voice in the process.

Was it wrong for me to chuckle at the bolded statement?  Not that I want anyone hurt or killed, it just struck me funny.  It's good your daughters' classes got moved online, no doubt it gives you more peace of mind.

Good luck to all of you in positions where you are dealing with the associated aspects/challenges of COVID directly (educators, having to be in the workplace, etc.).  Stay safe, all.

Not wrong to laugh at all. It's such a crazy event. Normal people do not attend and the police do not enter unless invited by the security for the promoters. Did a mention that one of the vendors has a stage with stripper poles. If you look up Michigan Mud Jam on facebook, you get a good taste of what this is.
We are glad the kids are all on-line. It gives us some peace of mind. Our son is very social, and was going crazy living with us. We are a little concerned about him, even though he insists he is careful.
2020-08-27 11:38 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by melbo55

Not wrong to laugh at all. It's such a crazy event. Normal people do not attend and the police do not enter unless invited by the security for the promoters. Did a mention that one of the vendors has a stage with stripper poles. If you look up Michigan Mud Jam on facebook, you get a good taste of what this is. We are glad the kids are all on-line. It gives us some peace of mind. Our son is very social, and was going crazy living with us. We are a little concerned about him, even though he insists he is careful.

I have to say that I am waiting for you to write a book about your life. The glimpses we get make me think that life in your sleepy little town may not be sleepy at all!

2020-08-27 2:18 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Quick update:
I've mentioned a couple times through the years about my tiny grandma. She had been so ill for so long, and on Tuesday she finally passed away. It is a great relief that she is no longer in pain.
I will be driving down to Pensacola FL for the services and to help with cleaning out the house. My mom waffles between saying she can't wait to see me and talking about how anxious she is that I might get the virus. There are no right answers about whether to go or not.
2020-08-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Quick update: I've mentioned a couple times through the years about my tiny grandma. She had been so ill for so long, and on Tuesday she finally passed away. It is a great relief that she is no longer in pain. I will be driving down to Pensacola FL for the services and to help with cleaning out the house. My mom waffles between saying she can't wait to see me and talking about how anxious she is that I might get the virus. There are no right answers about whether to go or not.

{{hugs}}

2020-08-27 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Atlantia Quick update: I've mentioned a couple times through the years about my tiny grandma. She had been so ill for so long, and on Tuesday she finally passed away. It is a great relief that she is no longer in pain. I will be driving down to Pensacola FL for the services and to help with cleaning out the house. My mom waffles between saying she can't wait to see me and talking about how anxious she is that I might get the virus. There are no right answers about whether to go or not.

I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. It's so tough to know what is the right thing to do during this screwy point in life, but I believe that people matter more than all else, so travel carefully and I'm sure your mom will appreciate seeing  you. The right decision is the one you make for yourself and your family.

2020-08-28 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by cdban66

I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. It's so tough to know what is the right thing to do during this screwy point in life, but I believe that people matter more than all else, so travel carefully and I'm sure your mom will appreciate seeing  you. The right decision is the one you make for yourself and your family.

Thank you, Chris. I think that's what I needed to hear.

And HUGS back, Janyne
2020-08-28 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia

Thank you, Chris. I think that's what I needed to hear. And HUGS back, Janyne

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. As Chris said, this is a screwy time, but I'm sure you can make the services and visit with your family in both a safe way and way that helps heals you all.

2020-08-28 8:55 AM

User image

Quick update:
I've mentioned a couple times through the years about my tiny grandma. She had been so ill for so long, and on Tuesday she finally passed away. It is a great relief that she is no longer in pain.
I will be driving down to Pensacola FL for the services and to help with cleaning out the house. My mom waffles between saying she can't wait to see me and talking about how anxious she is that I might get the virus. There are no right answers about whether to go or not.

Sending tons of hugs.
2020-08-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

{{hugs}}

Really sorry to hear this. Adding my virtual hugs 

2020-08-28 12:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hugs to you, I'm so sorry to hear about tiny grandma.  Take care.

2020-08-28 1:54 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by AtlantiaQuick update:I've mentioned a couple times through the years about my tiny grandma. She had been so ill for so long, and on Tuesday she finally passed away. It is a great relief that she is no longer in pain.I will be driving down to Pensacola FL for the services and to help with cleaning out the house. My mom waffles between saying she can't wait to see me and talking about how anxious she is that I might get the virus. There are no right answers about whether to go or not.
I am glad that your little gramma is no longer in pain, but I am sorry for your loss. Chris said it best. Do what you need and be as safe as possible

Edited by ceilidh 2020-08-28 3:25 PM
2020-08-28 10:46 PM

User image

Master

I will miss your updates on tiny grandma and I am very sorry for your loss. Travel safely.

2020-08-29 4:37 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Quick update:

So sorry about your grandma
2020-08-30 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Tomorrow is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).  

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

2020-08-30 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).  

THank you for the reminder --- I won't be in attendance but do appreciate that you coordinate the meetings!
2020-08-30 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

As usual, I have a doctors appt. I may be done by the time it starts. I would love some Manatee time.
2020-08-31 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

See you later this morning

2020-08-31 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

See you later this morning

sorry I'll miss it. working from the office stinks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127