BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-02-26 2:12 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by fortissimo

So here's a question to ponder:

Do you get stressed when you miss workouts? I missed so many workouts or just did water-downed workouts when I was sick and now we have conferences the next two nights so I'm going to miss more. Missing my swim sets is starting to stress me out. Does this happen to anyone else?

Totally. I have a conference in April in which I'll be away from training and eating poorly about 1 month out from my HIM and it's very stressful to think about.

On the other hand, I once did an hour on an stationary exercise bike at a hotel after spending all day walking around Disney World and it was pure suck, so I've learned to maybe just let a couple go every now and then.

2019-02-26 2:20 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo So here's a question to ponder: Do you get stressed when you miss workouts? I missed so many workouts or just did water-downed workouts when I was sick and now we have conferences the next two nights so I'm going to miss more. Missing my swim sets is starting to stress me out. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes! If it's on my calendar i must do it!! If i'm too sick or am out of town and can't get it done i am not happy one bit. Last week I missed 2 bike workouts b/c i'm trying to clear up an issue before it gets worse and makes me miss more stuff, so I know missing the workouts was the right thing to do, but I still hated it. 

2019-02-26 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo So here's a question to ponder: Do you get stressed when you miss workouts? I missed so many workouts or just did water-downed workouts when I was sick and now we have conferences the next two nights so I'm going to miss more. Missing my swim sets is starting to stress me out. Does this happen to anyone else?

Most of the time, yes, unless it is a missed workout because of something truly urgent/unexpected/unavoidable.  But I have to remind myself that, although a bit cliche, "Life happens".  We get sick.  Bad weather keeps us indoors (running) with no access to a treadmill (ice storm last week in my area).  Some things simply take higher priority than workouts.

A coach once told me, "We can only control today.  Let go of what may not have gotten done yesterday/last week/etc.  Focus on today. Onward."  Tough to execute, but worth trying to take to heart.

Edited by melbo55 2019-02-26 4:15 PM
2019-02-26 5:18 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Most of the time, yes, unless it is a missed workout because of something truly urgent/unexpected/unavoidable.  But I have to remind myself that, although a bit cliche, "Life happens".  We get sick.  Bad weather keeps us indoors (running) with no access to a treadmill (ice storm last week in my area).  Some things simply take higher priority than workouts.

A coach once told me, "We can only control today.  Let go of what may not have gotten done yesterday/last week/etc.  Focus on today. Onward."  Tough to execute, but worth trying to take to heart.

I am so different from all of you. I am such a slug/sloth/manatee (the real kind, not the DOO EET kind) that I have to force myself to work out. I will work in the yard or garden all day long, training has foreign to me for most of my life, so I can skip a planned workout with very little guilt. I am working on getting better, though. The challenges help.

2019-02-26 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Thanks, gang, for reinforcing what I think I already suspected: not enough time to build up to a decent, injury-free race.  I guess I'll save that race for next year and be sure to be on top of my running so I can do it.  It's kind of a wish list race, although I don't technically have it on my wish list.  http://www.bluegrayhalf.com/   Some day, some day...

See I actually think that you could do it. If you set out with a plan to run/walk with maybe 3/1 minute intervals or something like that and your goal was just to finish it. I'm gonna say I have finished a number of half marathons with little to no training at all.
2019-02-26 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I get stressed if I miss a workout (or in the current situation, weeks/months of them). Not so much not being able to do it exactly as planned (I've spent 95% of my time as a triathlete living in developing countries, and even not counting illness and injury, plenty of sh... happens to disrupt planned training and other pursuits) as not being able to do anything. Maybe I'm the opposite of a sloth. Training for me probably 90% of the time is a joy. I would rather train than do almost anything else but maybe more recreational outdoor stuff, if given a choice things to do. I'm a very physical person--probably these days if I were a kid I would be labeled hyperactive-- and get stressed almost to the point of physical illness (and extremely prone to insomnia) if I can't get a lot of physical activity on a near-daily basis. (School was always silent torment for me.) Especially can't stand it if I can't go outside. I just feel like I am a tiger living in a cage; could never deal with a job where I mostly sat at a desk. I understand why the big cats pace, bang against the bars, etc. in captivity.

Have to admit, in my current state I have basically been doing that. Weather has been hideous and I can't physically swim, bike, or run. Doctor did say I could walk as much as I wanted pre-op and post-op when I am up to it, so I have been walking laps at the gym--basically a more socially accepted form of pacing!

2019-02-26 8:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Do you get stressed when you miss workouts? I missed so many workouts or just did water-downed workouts when I was sick and now we have conferences the next two nights so I'm going to miss more. Missing my swim sets is starting to stress me out. Does this happen to anyone else?

I hate missing a workout. I need it, not just for the sport, but for balance and burn work related stress. Also, if something makes me mad and I'm still mad after the workout, it confirms that it is legit and not just me over reacting.
I was threatened in court yesterday. It;s been a long time that since someone has threatened physical harm. He's incarcerated now and I think in the end he will be for a long long time.

Edited by JBacarella 2019-02-26 8:31 PM
2019-02-27 4:50 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

I hate missing a workout. I need it, not just for the sport, but for balance and burn work related stress. Also, if something makes me mad and I'm still mad after the workout, it confirms that it is legit and not just me over reacting.
I was threatened in court yesterday. It;s been a long time that since someone has threatened physical harm. He's incarcerated now and I think in the end he will be for a long long time.

Yikes, that's scary. Glad he in in jail now
2019-02-27 6:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerYes, I get stressed if I miss a workout (or in the current situation, weeks/months of them). Not so much not being able to do it exactly as planned (I've spent 95% of my time as a triathlete living in developing countries, and even not counting illness and injury, plenty of sh... happens to disrupt planned training and other pursuits) as not being able to do anything. Maybe I'm the opposite of a sloth. Training for me probably 90% of the time is a joy. I would rather train than do almost anything else but maybe more recreational outdoor stuff, if given a choice things to do. I'm a very physical person--probably these days if I were a kid I would be labeled hyperactive-- and get stressed almost to the point of physical illness (and extremely prone to insomnia) if I can't get a lot of physical activity on a near-daily basis. (School was always silent torment for me.) Especially can't stand it if I can't go outside. I just feel like I am a tiger living in a cage; could never deal with a job where I mostly sat at a desk. I understand why the big cats pace, bang against the bars, etc. in captivity. Have to admit, in my current state I have basically been doing that. Weather has been hideous and I can't physically swim, bike, or run. Doctor did say I could walk as much as I wanted pre-op and post-op when I am up to it, so I have been walking laps at the gym--basically a more socially accepted form of pacing!
i aam glad you can "pace" at the gym at least. That is a looong time you have to wait.for surgery..even I would be pacing for that. I am probably the age of your Mom so I will step in as one and tell you, surgery is a big thing, (even one like yours that, while complicated, is fairly "routine". It is okay to be worried, but try, try try not to obsess. You are in excellent health, young and will recover and hea wonderfully. And you have your Manatee Pod to support you.
2019-02-27 6:24 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by fortissimoSo here's a question to ponder:Do you get stressed when you miss workouts? I missed so many workouts or just did water-downed workouts when I was sick and now we have conferences the next two nights so I'm going to miss more. Missing my swim sets is starting to stress me out. Does this happen to anyone else?
I hate missing a workout. I need it, not just for the sport, but for balance and burn work related stress. Also, if something makes me mad and I'm still mad after the workout, it confirms that it is legit and not just me over reacting.I was threatened in court yesterday. It;s been a long time that since someone has threatened physical harm. He's incarcerated now and I think in the end he will be for a long long time.
x2. I hope he is behind bars for a long, long time.
2019-02-27 6:41 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

I hate missing a workout. I need it, not just for the sport, but for balance and burn work related stress. Also, if something makes me mad and I'm still mad after the workout, it confirms that it is legit and not just me over reacting. I was threatened in court yesterday. It;s been a long time that since someone has threatened physical harm. He's incarcerated now and I think in the end he will be for a long long time.

Oh man, it's been a long time since i was threatened! Worse was when i was chased from the courthouse! Or maybe when person i sent to jail got out and then saw me in a parking lot and threatened to run me over. Ha! I almost miss those days  

Glad you are ok and bad guy is where he belongs.

2019-02-27 7:17 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake
I hate missing a workout. I need it, not just for the sport, but for balance and burn work related stress. Also, if something makes me mad and I'm still mad after the workout, it confirms that it is legit and not just me over reacting. I was threatened in court yesterday. It;s been a long time that since someone has threatened physical harm. He's incarcerated now and I think in the end he will be for a long long time.

X2!

2019-02-27 7:20 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by Hot RunnerDoctor did say I could walk as much as I wanted pre-op and post-op when I am up to it, so I have been walking laps at the gym--basically a more socially accepted form of pacing!
i aam glad you can "pace" at the gym at least. That is a looong time you have to wait.for surgery..even I would be pacing for that. I am probably the age of your Mom so I will step in as one and tell you, surgery is a big thing, (even one like yours that, while complicated, is fairly "routine". It is okay to be worried, but try, try try not to obsess. You are in excellent health, young and will recover and hea wonderfully. And you have your Manatee Pod to support you.

Yes, we are here for you.  Hang in there.

2019-02-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have a bunch of work piled up, so no replies to a few different posts her, however, I will be doing the final tally of the Jogo Challenge and consulting with my fellow judge to pick the prize winning Manatee. It should all be in today so I can finish it up on Thursday. There may be high level math and algorithms at work here, so make sure you post it all in there 

Thanks all!

2019-02-27 8:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I have a bunch of work piled up, so no replies to a few different posts her, however, I will be doing the final tally of the Jogo Challenge and consulting with my fellow judge to pick the prize winning Manatee. It should all be in today so I can finish it up on Thursday. There may be high level math and algorithms at work here, so make sure you post it all in there 

Thanks all!

So basically you are waiting for the bribes to come in?

2019-02-27 8:34 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by cdban66

Thanks all!

i can ply you with mass amounts of cookies and beverages of choice both up here and down there in the near future. ????????

2019-02-27 8:37 AM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
The missed workout conversation is especially timely for me this week.

Monday I went for a routine check up and Dr decided since I’m getting older it’s time for a pneumonia shot. Ok NBD... until I had a reaction to it. My arm (where it was injected) is very painful and all of me is achey. The googles say it should clear up in 48 hours. So far I’ve missed one run and will probably miss today’s unless it clears up quickly. The really frustrating part is I know that my weekend runs will be messed up because I will be at an RWB camp this weekend.

I guess the up side is that it’s a recovery week anyway.
2019-02-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner The missed workout conversation is especially timely for me this week. Monday I went for a routine check up and Dr decided since I’m getting older it’s time for a pneumonia shot. Ok NBD... until I had a reaction to it. My arm (where it was injected) is very painful and all of me is achey. The googles say it should clear up in 48 hours. So far I’ve missed one run and will probably miss today’s unless it clears up quickly. The really frustrating part is I know that my weekend runs will be messed up because I will be at an RWB camp this weekend. I guess the up side is that it’s a recovery week anyway.

So frustrating! And here you are, trying to stay healthy! Ugh!

2019-02-27 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Robin, just FYI, Mom is 80 and I am 49 (50 in August; already 50 in "triathlon years"). We do look quite a bit younger than that, according to most people. (I once had a competitor's husband insist that the RD check my passport before he gave out the AG awards.) If you are 80 or anywhere close and still doing tri training, you have just made my role model list! (BTW oldest man at Wanaka was 84. He finished. Didn't trip over his own feet and break anything either. I saw him starting out on the run, just before I went down, and he looked strong. He and his bike were on our Monday flight back to Auckland.)
2019-02-27 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I am so different from all of you. I am such a slug/sloth/manatee (the real kind, not the DOO EET kind) that I have to force myself to work out. I will work in the yard or garden all day long, training has foreign to me for most of my life, so I can skip a planned workout with very little guilt. I am working on getting better, though. The challenges help.

Robin and I are sloth twins, apparently I have no issues skipping workouts, which is probably why I never really see improvement.
2019-02-27 11:21 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner The missed workout conversation is especially timely for me this week. Monday I went for a routine check up and Dr decided since I’m getting older it’s time for a pneumonia shot. Ok NBD... until I had a reaction to it. My arm (where it was injected) is very painful and all of me is achey. The googles say it should clear up in 48 hours. So far I’ve missed one run and will probably miss today’s unless it clears up quickly. The really frustrating part is I know that my weekend runs will be messed up because I will be at an RWB camp this weekend. I guess the up side is that it’s a recovery week anyway.

Ugh, well that stinks!  Fingers crossed your feeling up to par quickly.  The perils of trying to make healthy decisions!

2019-02-27 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by rrrunner

The missed workout conversation is especially timely for me this week.

Monday I went for a routine check up and Dr decided since I’m getting older it’s time for a pneumonia shot. Ok NBD... until I had a reaction to it. My arm (where it was injected) is very painful and all of me is achey. The googles say it should clear up in 48 hours. So far I’ve missed one run and will probably miss today’s unless it clears up quickly. The really frustrating part is I know that my weekend runs will be messed up because I will be at an RWB camp this weekend.

I guess the up side is that it’s a recovery week anyway.

Boo, that's frustrating. I didn't even realize there was a pneumonia shot!
2019-02-27 3:03 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Atlantia

Robin and I are sloth twins, apparently I have no issues skipping workouts, which is probably why I never really see improvement.

Since life has become ever more occupied with two kids and all i have become more relaxed about it. I just try to think about which workouts are really key and must be done (it can't be all of them) and then about remembering to enjoy it. This is a hobby after all. I have enough stresses that my workout and training is supposed to be enjoyable and if is just as stressful then why am i doing it? What am i after? I am certainly not getting paid for it! 

I am working on skipping just because i am tired and it's late (after 8pm which is my most available time) - that's a tough one so far. Sometimes i really am exhausted and get extra sleep but then other nights i sit my butt on the couch and do nothing. Not really My little guy is sleeping better so i feel like i may need to try to start getting morning workouts in. 

2019-02-27 3:59 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerRobin, just FYI, Mom is 80 and I am 49 (50 in August; already 50 in "triathlon years"). We do look quite a bit younger than that, according to most people. (I once had a competitor's husband insist that the RD check my passport before he gave out the AG awards.) If you are 80 or anywhere close and still doing tri training, you have just made my role model list! (BTW oldest man at Wanaka was 84. He finished. Didn't trip over his own feet and break anything either. I saw him starting out on the run, just before I went down, and he looked strong. He and his bike were on our Monday flight back to Auckland.)
uiu do indeed look young. Lucky you..I am.not.quote old enough to be your Mom but I could be your Aunt??Life goals are to be active as long as possible. My DHs and my motto is to die young, as old as possible.
2019-02-27 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerRobin, just FYI, Mom is 80 and I am 49 (50 in August; already 50 in "triathlon years"). We do look quite a bit younger than that, according to most people. (I once had a competitor's husband insist that the RD check my passport before he gave out the AG awards.) If you are 80 or anywhere close and still doing tri training, you have just made my role model list! (BTW oldest man at Wanaka was 84. He finished. Didn't trip over his own feet and break anything either. I saw him starting out on the run, just before I went down, and he looked strong. He and his bike were on our Monday flight back to Auckland.)
uiu do indeed look young. Lucky you..I am.not.quote old enough to be your Mom but I could be your Aunt??Life goals are to be active as long as possible. My DHs and my motto is to die young, as old as possible.
i like your attitude about enjoying the workouts. Maximum enthusiasm.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107