BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-04-14 7:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
I think better to avoid racing if you're feeling at all iffy before an "A" race. It's all too easy to get caught up in the event, push harder than you intended, and possibly relapse. If truly well, I'd do a long run or ride (whichever you're more worried about) at an easy pace. If not, just rest up.

2019-04-14 7:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by awm007 Hi Pod, I'm feeling down today. I'm 3 weeks until HIM race day. Last week my training was messed up with travel and I didn't get much training in. Then after returning, I"ve been totally sidelined with some type of chest congestion illness. A quick trip to the supermarket left me drained and flat on my back for an hour or two today. Next weekend is a Oly warm-up race (presuming i'm back on my feet by then) then the taper starts. Anyway, I'm worried that I've missed out on my long workouts during peak training time. For those of you that have gone through something similar, once I'm back to health, should I try and work in at least another long bike/run. How close is too close to race day to be trying to build endurance? Thanks for any advice!

Sorry you're sick! Your body needs time to adapt to the training, so I don't think doing any long sessions inside 2 weeks will be helpful. You are better trained then you think you are; just concentrate on getting better!

Ann-Marie is right, at three weeks out the hay is pretty much in the barn, you won't be able to do anything that is going to have a significant effect on your race. Unless you push yourself hard while you're sick and make yourself worse. You are better off resting and getting healthy for a great race day.
2019-04-14 7:25 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
My race was cancelled because of the blizzard?! Yes, 6-8 inches of snow today. They rescheduled it for two weeks from now, but I can't do it that day.
2019-04-15 4:48 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

My race was cancelled because of the blizzard?! Yes, 6-8 inches of snow today. They rescheduled it for two weeks from now, but I can't do it that day.

Wow, crazy! We had a freak snowstorm in central Illinois yesterday. It's like the winter that would not die
2019-04-15 7:16 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by JBacarella My race was cancelled because of the blizzard?! Yes, 6-8 inches of snow today. They rescheduled it for two weeks from now, but I can't do it that day.
Wow, crazy! We had a freak snowstorm in central Illinois yesterday. It's like the winter that would not die

Is it wrong that I laughed when I saw the pictures of the snow in Chicago? Probably...

Sorry about your race, Jim :-(

2019-04-15 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by JBacarella

Wow, that's crazy! So sorry the makeup date doesn't work for you. What else do you have coming up to look forward to? Having something on the schedule always help when things don't go as planned.

2019-04-15 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella My race was cancelled because of the blizzard?! Yes, 6-8 inches of snow today. They rescheduled it for two weeks from now, but I can't do it that day.

Is it wrong that I laughed when I saw the pictures of the snow in Chicago? Probably...

Sorry that your having such crazy weather.

Even more vexed about the Fenix today cause they have dropped the price further so they are 40% off. Having trouble convincing Phil that I need it.
2019-04-15 7:25 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Sorry that your having such crazy weather. Even more vexed about the Fenix today cause they have dropped the price further so they are 40% off. Having trouble convincing Phil that I need it.

Of course you need it! Doh!

2019-04-15 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Adam,

While I was driving to/from the ATT yesterday, I was listening to the Ask a Cycling Coast podcast (yes, even though I don't use TrainerRoad) and they talked about Training During Holidays (meaning vacation, in this case). I thought that this sort of workout might be helpful to you in the last few weeks before IM 70.3 Virginia if you decided to alter your training plan in any way. This would not address any mental issues with endurance but I suspect that is at least as much a mental thing as a physical one. You've done over 50/over 13 already this spring.

The link should take you right into that part of the conversation, if not, forward to 34:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSuH8q3EraM&feature=youtu.be&t=2050

TL;DR 30-45 minute VO2 Max.

2019-04-15 12:21 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Adam,

While I was driving to/from the ATT yesterday, I was listening to the Ask a Cycling Coast podcast (yes, even though I don't use TrainerRoad) and they talked about Training During Holidays (meaning vacation, in this case). I thought that this sort of workout might be helpful to you in the last few weeks before IM 70.3 Virginia if you decided to alter your training plan in any way. This would not address any mental issues with endurance but I suspect that is at least as much a mental thing as a physical one. You've done over 50/over 13 already this spring.

The link should take you right into that part of the conversation, if not, forward to 34:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSuH8q3EraM&feature=youtu.be&t=2050

TL;DR 30-45 minute VO2 Max.

As always, thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies and advice. You all are the best. I'm starting to feel a bit better and your points are well taken about maybe just skipping the warm-up race. An Oly can be pretty taxing even at good health (at least for me).

I think you are right that some is likely mental - or at least the frustration is. I was really hoping to take things to new levels to PR this race and being laid up is the opposite of what I was hoping to do. Also, most likely similar to some of you, I am really terrible at just resting. Good to know that a lot of you go through this pretty regularly. I'm pretty confident I can finish (presuming I'm back to health) but a PR is looking unlikely.

Janyne, great video (and fancy linking right to the middle!). I wasn't familiar with that podcast but I really enjoyed the advice there. I'll add it to my podcast queue! Sounds like my best bet is to nurse back to health, then pickup a couple of Vo2 max workouts (which is very similar to what my plan has me doing anyway) and not worry too much about the endurance component.

Thanks again all.

Jim - sorry about your race. I can't imagine snow this time of year!
2019-04-15 2:02 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Sorry that your having such crazy weather. Even more vexed about the Fenix today cause they have dropped the price further so they are 40% off. Having trouble convincing Phil that I need it.

The amount of snow yesterday in Chicago was horrifying...! Especially when you see in April... after a whole week of beautiful spring-like weather...

Hopefully, no more weather surprises, and no more cancelled races

2019-04-16 11:22 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83

The amount of snow yesterday in Chicago was horrifying...! Especially when you see in April... after a whole week of beautiful spring-like weather... Hopefully, no more weather surprises, and no more cancelled races
horifrying is the word I would use.

2019-04-16 11:26 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Denver, Colorado
Lol, I had to Google horifrying
2019-04-16 11:30 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
How is everyone's April challenge going?
I have to admit I am sooo happy with eating breakfast every morning.... This is my "eating" goal, and from the challenge I actually made it our family routine. As a single working parent I live with lots of guilt that I do not spend enough time with my kids, and those morning breakfast together are great little gatherings, that we all appreciate!

Fun fact, the biggest reason I never had breakfast before was becuase we were constantly late, and our mornings were in such a rush, there was no way I would fit a meal prep and eating. Waking up earlier did not work, because.... I like to sleep up to the very last minute... Surprisingly, I still wake up at the exactly same time, yet, am able to prepare a breakfast, eat with the kids, and we are leaving the house earlier than before, nobody is late... No idea how this happened...

Have you ever struggled with breakfast routines? Have you find find eating breakfast helpful in fueling your day?
2019-04-16 1:30 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 How is everyone's April challenge going? I have to admit I am sooo happy with eating breakfast every morning.... This is my "eating" goal, and from the challenge I actually made it our family routine. As a single working parent I live with lots of guilt that I do not spend enough time with my kids, and those morning breakfast together are great little gatherings, that we all appreciate! Fun fact, the biggest reason I never had breakfast before was becuase we were constantly late, and our mornings were in such a rush, there was no way I would fit a meal prep and eating. Waking up earlier did not work, because.... I like to sleep up to the very last minute... Surprisingly, I still wake up at the exactly same time, yet, am able to prepare a breakfast, eat with the kids, and we are leaving the house earlier than before, nobody is late... No idea how this happened... Have you ever struggled with breakfast routines? Have you find find eating breakfast helpful in fueling your day?

I've never been a big breakfast eater. My stomach just doesn't handle food well until mid-day (growing up I was known to get nauseous and even vomit smelling my family's food cooking in the morning). I also don't work out in the mornings, so that's probably a big part of it. When I was doing rounds of Whole30, they are huge on eating within an hour of waking to stabilize hormones. I did it for a few 30-day rounds and found it had no effect on me that I noticed - except the uncomfortable feeling of forcing food into my body. It didn't affect my hunger levels, didn't impact my energy levels and was just kind of a time (and calorie) suck. I'm very happy with my current routine of a huge glass of water before leaving for work, then a cup of coffee with a collagen creamer around 10 a.m., lunch at 1 p.m. and dinner around 7 p.m. 

With the exception of race morning when I know I need calories to fuel a race. But I am also waking up a good 3 hours earlier than a normal work day, so there's the difference. 

Also note I'm single, no kids and live alone - so a different scenario than lots of folks. I can definitely see where breakfast meal time would be a huge value-add to a family.

2019-04-16 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 How is everyone's April challenge going? I have to admit I am sooo happy with eating breakfast every morning.... This is my "eating" goal, and from the challenge I actually made it our family routine. As a single working parent I live with lots of guilt that I do not spend enough time with my kids, and those morning breakfast together are great little gatherings, that we all appreciate! Fun fact, the biggest reason I never had breakfast before was becuase we were constantly late, and our mornings were in such a rush, there was no way I would fit a meal prep and eating. Waking up earlier did not work, because.... I like to sleep up to the very last minute... Surprisingly, I still wake up at the exactly same time, yet, am able to prepare a breakfast, eat with the kids, and we are leaving the house earlier than before, nobody is late... No idea how this happened... Have you ever struggled with breakfast routines? Have you find find eating breakfast helpful in fueling your day?

I LOVE breakfast and will be very cranky if I can't have it  I never used to be a big breakfast eater b/c I too didn't seem to have the time for it, when I did eat it, it was cereal.  In 2008 I started marathon training and 2 years later added triathlon training. This made me workout in the mornings which made me want to EAT!  I am a full breakfast convert now -even days I don't workout I want my breakfast. And, I haven't eaten cereal in years; mainly have eggs or protein pancakes or an oatmeal/fruit/yogurt bowl . 

I'm glad you and your family have come over to the breakfast side!

2019-04-16 3:06 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by marysia83

How is everyone's April challenge going?
I have to admit I am sooo happy with eating breakfast every morning.... This is my "eating" goal, and from the challenge I actually made it our family routine. As a single working parent I live with lots of guilt that I do not spend enough time with my kids, and those morning breakfast together are great little gatherings, that we all appreciate!

Fun fact, the biggest reason I never had breakfast before was becuase we were constantly late, and our mornings were in such a rush, there was no way I would fit a meal prep and eating. Waking up earlier did not work, because.... I like to sleep up to the very last minute... Surprisingly, I still wake up at the exactly same time, yet, am able to prepare a breakfast, eat with the kids, and we are leaving the house earlier than before, nobody is late... No idea how this happened...

Have you ever struggled with breakfast routines? Have you find find eating breakfast helpful in fueling your day?

Leaving on time with kids? Something doesn't sound right here My experience has always been that there is nothing you can do to get a kid out the door on time.

I don't really wake up hungry either and "breakfast" is usually a latte or similar. Or perhaps I've just been intermittent fasting since before it was cool

2019-04-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have never been a breakfast fan. Basically am force-feeding myself unless I have been up for a while and/or done a workout. When I lived in Saigon, this worked out well, as I generally needed to do running in the morning (due to weather and traffic) and usually did trainer workouts then as well. I would get up very early (between 4:15 and 5), gag down something minimal like a granola bar and half a cup of coffee (I can't manage any kind of intensity on an empty stomach without getting nauseous), do my workout, then have something more substantial afterwards, often on my way to school or even at my desk before the kids came in. Generally unless someone else was calling the breakfast shots (like when Mom was there) that would be toast with peanut butter and a latte, or occasionally a Vietnamese banh mi (breakfast baguette) with a fried egg from a shop down the street. Maybe some fruit and more coffee at morning break when the kids had their own snacks.

The foods I can tolerate eating, smelling, or even thinking about before ten in the morning are basically limited to cereal, toast, juice, scrambled eggs, and coffee. Maybe add pho (rice noodles) with no meat or a kind of breakfast munchie (don't know name in English--sticky rice cooked in coconut milk with peanuts, wrapped up in a leaf and steamed) in SE Asia. Without a morning workout, anything before about 9 AM tends to be truly force-feeding. Unfortunately I have to do that as when I'm teaching my job is pretty energy-intensive in the mornings and lunch can be quite rushed.
2019-04-16 4:31 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 How is everyone's April challenge going?

I stumbled a bit last week but am working on getting it back together this week.

2019-04-16 5:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have been doing my PT stuff faithfully every day (about 15 minutes of "strength" exercises--which is pretty light in my case right now, plus 4-5 X 10 minutes flex/ 10 minutes extend per day). Motivation is very high for that as I would really like to have a functional arm again! Have also done a short set of leg strength and core stuff most days. I have done my best to get in some aerobic activity every day but missed a few days due to travel. Had hoped the hotel in Portland would at least have a fitness room with a stationary bike, but it didn't. Other than that I think I have gotten in a ride, swim, and/or walk every day in April.

Some days it is hard to get motivated as I have no idea what I'm "training" for. Just trying not to get massively out of shape. Swim and bike tend to cause varying degrees of swelling and nerve discomfort that I try to manage with heat, cold, compression, elevation, meds, etc. but the PT doesn't seem to think that's a reason not to do them now, at least for shorter workouts, since I get the same issues most afternoons anyway just from walking around and doing nothing would just make things stiffer. Weather is not always ideal for walking, but it is what it is. It's possible I'll be allowed to start running in a few weeks--not sure if I feel ready or not; much as I love running, I would like my arm to be a bit further along than it is now in terms of pain/swelling before I add running to the mix.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-04-16 5:32 PM
2019-04-17 7:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerI have been doing my PT stuff faithfully every day (about 15 minutes of "strength" exercises--which is pretty light in my case right now, plus 4-5 X 10 minutes flex/ 10 minutes extend per day). Motivation is very high for that as I would really like to have a functional arm again! Have also done a short set of leg strength and core stuff most days. I have done my best to get in some aerobic activity every day but missed a few days due to travel. Had hoped the hotel in Portland would at least have a fitness room with a stationary bike, but it didn't. Other than that I think I have gotten in a ride, swim, and/or walk every day in April. Some days it is hard to get motivated as I have no idea what I'm "training" for. Just trying not to get massively out of shape. Swim and bike tend to cause varying degrees of swelling and nerve discomfort that I try to manage with heat, cold, compression, elevation, meds, etc. but the PT doesn't seem to think that's a reason not to do them now, at least for shorter workouts, since I get the same issues most afternoons anyway just from walking around and doing nothing would just make things stiffer. Weather is not always ideal for walking, but it is what it is. It's possible I'll be allowed to start running in a few weeks--not sure if I feel ready or not; much as I love running, I would like my arm to be a bit further along than it is now in terms of pain/swelling before I add running to the mix.
your dedication to getting better is inspiring

2019-04-17 7:35 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have been doing my PT stuff faithfully every day (about 15 minutes of "strength" exercises--which is pretty light in my case right now, plus 4-5 X 10 minutes flex/ 10 minutes extend per day). Motivation is very high for that as I would really like to have a functional arm again! Have also done a short set of leg strength and core stuff most days. I have done my best to get in some aerobic activity every day but missed a few days due to travel. Had hoped the hotel in Portland would at least have a fitness room with a stationary bike, but it didn't. Other than that I think I have gotten in a ride, swim, and/or walk every day in April.

Some days it is hard to get motivated as I have no idea what I'm "training" for. Just trying not to get massively out of shape. Swim and bike tend to cause varying degrees of swelling and nerve discomfort that I try to manage with heat, cold, compression, elevation, meds, etc. but the PT doesn't seem to think that's a reason not to do them now, at least for shorter workouts, since I get the same issues most afternoons anyway just from walking around and doing nothing would just make things stiffer. Weather is not always ideal for walking, but it is what it is. It's possible I'll be allowed to start running in a few weeks--not sure if I feel ready or not; much as I love running, I would like my arm to be a bit further along than it is now in terms of pain/swelling before I add running to the mix.

I'm so glad that you have been able to add in more activities to mix things up. I totally get what you are saying. I was really upset/depressed after my bike accident the month before IM Chattanooga 2014. I finally started to feel better about things when I was able to put some stuff on my calendar. It was like time was in slow motion from the accident in September until late November or so and then things started to normalize somewhat.

Hang in there! The consistent PT will pay off!

2019-04-17 7:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have never been a breakfast fan. Basically am force-feeding myself unless I have been up for a while and/or done a workout. When I lived in Saigon, this worked out well, as I generally needed to do running in the morning (due to weather and traffic) and usually did trainer workouts then as well. I would get up very early (between 4:15 and 5), gag down something minimal like a granola bar and half a cup of coffee (I can't manage any kind of intensity on an empty stomach without getting nauseous), do my workout, then have something more substantial afterwards, often on my way to school or even at my desk before the kids came in. Generally unless someone else was calling the breakfast shots (like when Mom was there) that would be toast with peanut butter and a latte, or occasionally a Vietnamese banh mi (breakfast baguette) with a fried egg from a shop down the street. Maybe some fruit and more coffee at morning break when the kids had their own snacks.

The foods I can tolerate eating, smelling, or even thinking about before ten in the morning are basically limited to cereal, toast, juice, scrambled eggs, and coffee. Maybe add pho (rice noodles) with no meat or a kind of breakfast munchie (don't know name in English--sticky rice cooked in coconut milk with peanuts, wrapped up in a leaf and steamed) in SE Asia. Without a morning workout, anything before about 9 AM tends to be truly force-feeding. Unfortunately I have to do that as when I'm teaching my job is pretty energy-intensive in the mornings and lunch can be quite rushed.

I can't eat before a morning workout but I do have breakfast as soon as I get out of the shower. I've been on an overnight oats kick for a while now so I pull that out of the fridge and have a banana with it and get some coffee to drink at work. I generally have a snack (I'm on almonds now) at about 10 in the morning.

I prep the overnight oats in a mason jar -- I do them in pairs: 1/2 apple, chopped. Microwave for 1:10 while chopping the other half of the apple for the other jar. Top with 1/2 cup old fashion oats, cinnamon, sweetener (I use stevia), a pinch of salt. Let cook for a few minutes. Top with 1/2 cup milk. Stir. Top with Greek yogurt and a handful of frozen berries. Put the lids on and pop them in the fridge.

P.S. Zoe begs for the yogurt. I get the yogurt in the large container and when it is empty, I let her have the container. She gives herself "yogurt face."

Edited by jmkizer 2019-04-17 7:44 AM
2019-04-17 10:12 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I prep the overnight oats in a mason jar -- I do them in pairs: 1/2 apple, chopped. Microwave for 1:10 while chopping the other half of the apple for the other jar. Top with 1/2 cup old fashion oats, cinnamon, sweetener (I use stevia), a pinch of salt. Let cook for a few minutes. Top with 1/2 cup milk. Stir. Top with Greek yogurt and a handful of frozen berries. Put the lids on and pop them in the fridge.

P.S. Zoe begs for the yogurt. I get the yogurt in the large container and when it is empty, I let her have the container. She gives herself "yogurt face."

LOVE overnight oats. I do them differently though - just put oats, vanilla almond milk, chia seeds and a squirt of maple syrup in the mason jar (no cooking). Shake and refrigerate overnight. The chia seeds make the liquid a thick, pudding-like consistency by morning. Sometimes I top with peanut butter or fruit. This is my long-ride go-to breakfast - insanely delish and filling!

2019-04-17 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

If I write my memoirs, it will have a chapter titled "My Love of all Things Breakfast". Of course, there will probably be other chapters about lunch, dinner, dessert, snacks, etc.

My April challenge has been a challenge to say the least. I have to get everything caught up in the sheets, but this time around I have NOT been too motivated.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107