BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-27 10:52 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by jmkizer

What?!  No Manatees at today's meetup

Looking for link!

What time does it start? I'm here!

2020-04-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Crap I remembered 9 to 930, not 8:30 to 9.  Should have double checked, sorry about that! I'll try again next week.

2020-04-27 1:59 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Expert
My ear buds died. What does everyone use when running?

It was a good Manatee meet-up today
2020-04-27 2:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Sorry, but I was only able to connect to my work computer at 11 and felt I should probably do work instead of chatting with the Manatees.  Hopefully I can join next week!

2020-04-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Sorry, but I was only able to connect to my work computer at 11 and felt I should probably do work instead of chatting with the Manatees.  Hopefully I can join next week!

We missed you!

2020-04-27 3:23 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella

My ear buds died. What does everyone use when running?

It was a good Manatee meet-up today

Check the last page on the comments on Aftershokz. I love them, and hate anything in my ears.

2020-04-28 8:18 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Looking for link!
What time does it start? I'm here!

I'll put it on my calendar so i remember! Sorry - i was busy with kids though, could have poked in to say hi

2020-04-28 8:48 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Cypress, Texas

The Redman Triathlon was canceled about 30 minutes ago (or at least that is when the email notification went out).  It is held the 3rd week of September and I was planning on doing the 70.3 distance there this year.  So...there is about zero chance that I will race this year.  My favortie half Marathon (that I have missed the past couple years) was rescheduled for September I don't know if that will be a go, but some longer running races (i.e. 15k's and half Marathon, or even another 26.2) this fall might be fun if things open back up.  Otherwise this is going the training period for my next race is going to be really long.  I have done 8-12 months plans but a 20-month training plan seems a little long even for me.

2020-04-28 9:13 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

The Redman Triathlon was canceled about 30 minutes ago (or at least that is when the email notification went out).  It is held the 3rd week of September and I was planning on doing the 70.3 distance there this year.  So...there is about zero chance that I will race this year.  My favortie half Marathon (that I have missed the past couple years) was rescheduled for September I don't know if that will be a go, but some longer running races (i.e. 15k's and half Marathon, or even another 26.2) this fall might be fun if things open back up.  Otherwise this is going the training period for my next race is going to be really long.  I have done 8-12 months plans but a 20-month training plan seems a little long even for me.

I'm sorry about the race cancellation.  I am sort of expecting my next race to be in 2021 as well. I think that this might be a good time to experiment with training a bit. That's why I was looking at the 80/20 plans. I am also considering a six-week bike specialty plan.

Endurance Nation is suggesting that we alternate specialty plans for now. Do a bike focused block and then a run focused block, for example.  The other suggestion is to do challenge weeks -- challenge yourself to ride xxx this week or run yyy this week. 

I went ahead and contacted the Y this morning about putting my membership on indefinite hold.

2020-04-28 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Our Y has been closed since March 12. No idea if/when it might re-open. Just hoping that at some point this summer, OWS is a possibility. I'm not sure--state parks are closed but country parks (where the lakes are) are open, but not sure about parking. Plus no restrooms or changing facilities, at least for now. It would probably be early June before I'd even want to think about it, though.
2020-04-28 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry-double post. Computer issues this morning!

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-04-28 10:22 AM

2020-04-28 11:27 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Oh man, I'm sorry. That's one of the furthest-out races I've heard of being cancelled, but good on them for giving so much notice. How did they address entry fees, are they refunding or rolling over to next year? There's quite a discussion on the Facebook IM Wisconsin page on how Ironman is handling registration fees for cancelled races...

2020-04-28 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, at this point, assuming no races till next summer, it will have been a two-year plus training plan for me (28 months, if you count time since my last triathlon until the first possible HIM race I could enter after the end of the school year--probably CDA). I did "do" one half-marathon last fall, but can't honestly call it a race, more of a supported long run with about 30 other people. VERY low-key. Plus at the time I was dealing with a sore hamstring and a tummy bug I'd caught from my students--definitely not in racing shape!

Fall races just aren't really an option for me unless they're local (i.e. drive there and back in a day). Too busy at the start of the school year. Plus this year, unless things resolve dramatically over the summer, I think they'd be a really big risk. For the big IM events, just too many people coming from all over, crowding at hotels and the export say nothing of the event itself. I really don't know how you could do a major sports event with "social distancing". Maybe a self-supported trail ultra or MTB event where people could be sent off at intervals and get really spread out, but not a tri.
2020-04-28 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, at this point, assuming no races till next summer, it will have been a two-year plus training plan for me (28 months, if you count time since my last triathlon until the first possible HIM race I could enter after the end of the school year--probably CDA). I did "do" one half-marathon last fall, but can't honestly call it a race, more of a supported long run with about 30 other people. VERY low-key. Plus at the time I was dealing with a sore hamstring and a tummy bug I'd caught from my students--definitely not in racing shape! Fall races just aren't really an option for me unless they're local (i.e. drive there and back in a day). Too busy at the start of the school year. Plus this year, unless things resolve dramatically over the summer, I think they'd be a really big risk. For the big IM events, just too many people coming from all over, crowding at hotels and the export say nothing of the event itself. I really don't know how you could do a major sports event with "social distancing". Maybe a self-supported trail ultra or MTB event where people could be sent off at intervals and get really spread out, but not a tri.

i will be shocked if there are any races this year and into next other than some really small ones. I’ve heard some big marathons that post phoned to the fall are thinking about doing what  Tokyo did this year- elite only.
I’ve also seen people who were schedule for IM or HIM races that have been postponed say that when they’ve taken the free entry into a different race, eg, they don’t want to race at the postponed date or defer to 2021, they’ve been told by the new race that if it is cancelled too bad so sad! So, if for example, someone signed up for CHOO 70.3 picked the option of North Carolina 70.3 and that doesn’t go, they will not be given another transfer or defer to whatever new date NC has. Don’t know if that will be true for all races, but multiple people have spoken about it. 

Edited by amd723 2020-04-28 4:42 PM
2020-04-28 6:12 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That's really shoddy of them! I could see maybe not getting a refund if athletes cancelled because they were still uneasy about doing the race, or their fitness or health situation had changed, but if the cancellation is the race's move, that's not fair. IM Corp stands to gain a LOT of money then if there is another wave of illness in fall or next year and events are cancelled again. At least in Asia, most of their physical set-up is mobile (and/or facilitated by local events outfits and volunteers) and they don't really start it until approximately the week of the event. So I can't imagine there'd be huge un-refundable amounts spent if a race was cancelled with weeks/months of notice. I guess there may be some--I'm not a race organizer--with a last-minute cancellation, but still.....

For people whose IM races are cancelled and have been able to defer, is it only an option of later this year or the same event in 2021, or can you defer to 2022? I would seriously consider that if it were a choice. Safer, plus the events I do usually aren't that popular--if things were looking good next spring, I could always enter the 2021 event then.
2020-04-28 6:30 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner That's really shoddy of them! I could see maybe not getting a refund if athletes cancelled because they were still uneasy about doing the race, or their fitness or health situation had changed, but if the cancellation is the race's move, that's not fair. IM Corp stands to gain a LOT of money then if there is another wave of illness in fall or next year and events are cancelled again. At least in Asia, most of their physical set-up is mobile (and/or facilitated by local events outfits and volunteers) and they don't really start it until approximately the week of the event. So I can't imagine there'd be huge un-refundable amounts spent if a race was cancelled with weeks/months of notice. I guess there may be some--I'm not a race organizer--with a last-minute cancellation, but still..... For people whose IM races are cancelled and have been able to defer, is it only an option of later this year or the same event in 2021, or can you defer to 2022? I would seriously consider that if it were a choice. Safer, plus the events I do usually aren't that popular--if things were looking good next spring, I could always enter the 2021 event then.

What I've seen for multiple IM and HIM is doing the race on the this year postponed to date, transferring into another race this year, or referring to your races 2021 race. That's what I did for Chatanooga 70.3 . There was no message (unless i missed it) about being out of luck if the 2021 race was canceled. From what I've seen it is only an issue if you pick one of the other races. But what will be really interesting is what will happen if the postponed race gets canceled. Will those racers get to race 2021? Will the race open 2021 registration before the 2020 race is held? If so, there may be no room for the 2020 racers . Such potential drama!

2020-04-28 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
I did Full Monty tonight.
I will start with the caveat that I failed my fitness test haha. I dropped my chain during the 20 minute FTP portion and their program came back with that portion of my score was invalid.
The test is a live stream test, and so you are receiving feedback while being tested.
It has no video, but if you don't pay attention to the test and follow the directions, you could fail the test.
The first part is a warm up and nothing too exciting.
Then it gets into the MAP test or maximum aerobic power. It's the stair step portion of the test. This is a lot like a stress test. It increases every minute based on your current levels and you continue to go up, until you cannot hold power for the entire step. If you cannot hold power, then stop for 15 seconds and either more forward to the end of the test or lightly pedal until the end of the test.
The next part is the 20 minute test. Instead of a power focus, it focuses on heart rate. I'm not sure if it is the same for everyone, but for mine I had to hold my heart rate between 122 and 126 for the 20 minute test. This was the portion that was invalid for me. Since I dropped my chain and lost a chunk of test time, the results are not valid for that portion. I will try again tomorrow.
It is easier than Full Frontal, but in the description, The Sufferfest tells us it isn't as complete as Full Frontal. It was interesting information, especially if you are a numbers junkie and I think a good fitness test.

Edited by JBacarella 2020-04-28 8:42 PM
2020-04-29 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I did Full Monty tonight. I will start with the caveat that I failed my fitness test haha. I dropped my chain during the 20 minute FTP portion and their program came back with that portion of my score was invalid. The test is a live stream test, and so you are receiving feedback while being tested. It has no video, but if you don't pay attention to the test and follow the directions, you could fail the test. The first part is a warm up and nothing too exciting. Then it gets into the MAP test or maximum aerobic power. It's the stair step portion of the test. This is a lot like a stress test. It increases every minute based on your current levels and you continue to go up, until you cannot hold power for the entire step. If you cannot hold power, then stop for 15 seconds and either more forward to the end of the test or lightly pedal until the end of the test. The next part is the 20 minute test. Instead of a power focus, it focuses on heart rate. I'm not sure if it is the same for everyone, but for mine I had to hold my heart rate between 122 and 126 for the 20 minute test. This was the portion that was invalid for me. Since I dropped my chain and lost a chunk of test time, the results are not valid for that portion. I will try again tomorrow. It is easier than Full Frontal, but in the description, The Sufferfest tells us it isn't as complete as Full Frontal. It was interesting information, especially if you are a numbers junkie and I think a good fitness test.

Thanks for the write-up! It sounds like it is a good test to do to check your progress without having to get totally destroyed like FF! When i'm cleared to ride I'll probably target this to get some new numbers to start my come back.

I hope that you perform a bit better on your next fitness test

2020-04-29 10:30 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'll be super interested to see how IM handles refunds. From what I've read, it would pretty much end them to have to refund all of those registration fees as they use them as floating cash for salaries and other overhead. In contrast, the (U.S.) airline industry is being legally forced to give full refunds if THEY cancel your flight. If you cancel, you're only entitled to a credit/voucher, but if you wait for THEM to cancel they legally have to give you a full refund. Not sure why IM wouldn't be held to the same standard, but I'm sure it's complicated.

2020-04-29 1:31 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

I'll be super interested to see how IM handles refunds. From what I've read, it would pretty much end them to have to refund all of those registration fees as they use them as floating cash for salaries and other overhead. In contrast, the (U.S.) airline industry is being legally forced to give full refunds if THEY cancel your flight. If you cancel, you're only entitled to a credit/voucher, but if you wait for THEM to cancel they legally have to give you a full refund. Not sure why IM wouldn't be held to the same standard, but I'm sure it's complicated.

I imagine IM would qualify for the govt business loans to keep them afloat. Surely if they Lakers qualified, IM should.
2020-04-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

I imagine IM would qualify for the govt business loans to keep them afloat. Surely if they Lakers qualified, IM should.

NY Times article

How Ironman Triathlons Plan to Endure

It doesn't really answer the question though, from what I could see. It just says something about they are scrambling, they are doing the virtual thing, they are doing their best.

Messick doesn’t anticipate that Covid-19 will cause “a fundamental disruption to the appeal of people doing these challenges, like running a marathon or doing an Ironman.” It’s just that providing those opportunities safely is an evolving challenge. He has no idea whether small local companies — providing timing, traffic control or photography — that Ironman uses for an event will still be in business after six months of no races.

2020-04-29 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner That's really shoddy of them! I could see maybe not getting a refund if athletes cancelled because they were still uneasy about doing the race, or their fitness or health situation had changed, but if the cancellation is the race's move, that's not fair. IM Corp stands to gain a LOT of money then if there is another wave of illness in fall or next year and events are cancelled again. At least in Asia, most of their physical set-up is mobile (and/or facilitated by local events outfits and volunteers) and they don't really start it until approximately the week of the event. So I can't imagine there'd be huge un-refundable amounts spent if a race was cancelled with weeks/months of notice. I guess there may be some--I'm not a race organizer--with a last-minute cancellation, but still..... For people whose IM races are cancelled and have been able to defer, is it only an option of later this year or the same event in 2021, or can you defer to 2022? I would seriously consider that if it were a choice. Safer, plus the events I do usually aren't that popular--if things were looking good next spring, I could always enter the 2021 event then.

What I've seen for multiple IM and HIM is doing the race on the this year postponed to date, transferring into another race this year, or referring to your races 2021 race. That's what I did for Chatanooga 70.3 . There was no message (unless i missed it) about being out of luck if the 2021 race was canceled. From what I've seen it is only an issue if you pick one of the other races. But what will be really interesting is what will happen if the postponed race gets canceled. Will those racers get to race 2021? Will the race open 2021 registration before the 2020 race is held? If so, there may be no room for the 2020 racers . Such potential drama!

I didn't see anything about what happens if 2021 is canceled either. If that happens, we may end up donating to Ironman...

2020-04-29 2:50 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Cypress, Texas

Oh man, I'm sorry. That's one of the furthest-out races I've heard of being canceled, but good on them for giving so much notice. How did they address entry fees, are they refunding or rolling over to next year? There's quite a discussion on the Facebook IM Wisconsin page on how Ironman is handling registration fees for canceled races...

Ya...I am glad that they are giving us enough notice to make other plans.  Some of the races in June/July and still spamming my in-box with all their invites to sign up before the next price increase, etc.  I was hoping that we would be able to race the end of September so the fact that some races are pulling the plug now means that others will likely be forced to later on.  Redman is doing refunds.  By pulling the plug early they are avoiding most of the expenses that they wouldn't be able to recover if they had waited later on.  So working things out with those who did early registration is easier.  It is a game of chicken though.  Everyone is waiting for others to move out of the collision course and one someone else bawcks they all move to safety.  So I think this means that all the races in the area will be canceled when all is said and done.

2020-04-29 3:03 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella I did Full Monty tonight. I will start with the caveat that I failed my fitness test haha. I dropped my chain during the 20 minute FTP portion and their program came back with that portion of my score was invalid. The test is a live stream test, and so you are receiving feedback while being tested. It has no video, but if you don't pay attention to the test and follow the directions, you could fail the test. The first part is a warm up and nothing too exciting. Then it gets into the MAP test or maximum aerobic power. It's the stair step portion of the test. This is a lot like a stress test. It increases every minute based on your current levels and you continue to go up, until you cannot hold power for the entire step. If you cannot hold power, then stop for 15 seconds and either more forward to the end of the test or lightly pedal until the end of the test. The next part is the 20 minute test. Instead of a power focus, it focuses on heart rate. I'm not sure if it is the same for everyone, but for mine I had to hold my heart rate between 122 and 126 for the 20 minute test. This was the portion that was invalid for me. Since I dropped my chain and lost a chunk of test time, the results are not valid for that portion. I will try again tomorrow. It is easier than Full Frontal, but in the description, The Sufferfest tells us it isn't as complete as Full Frontal. It was interesting information, especially if you are a numbers junkie and I think a good fitness test.

Nice! So this is a Ramp test and a HR test.  The only time I have done the HR test was when I got my mandatory health evaluation when I signed up for my gym membership at the wellness center 4 years ago.  The guy running the test cranked the test way up since I indicated that I cycle three times a week but they still barely got enough movement for my evaluation to plot on their results curve. 

The Full Monty sounds almost fun.  That is saying a lot for a FTP test.

2020-04-29 5:18 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

I am sorry I have been AWOL from here for a while. April has been quite a chaotic time in our house. Besides the usual transitioning to working from home, we also had a COVID19 scare. Since the child care facility that my grandson attends was closed and both of his parents are not financially stable, they both had to work. My wife was able to work out an altered work schedule and was able to watch our grandson here at the house. It was working great until a few Sundays ago...

She calls me from work and says that she is experienced labored breathing. She said that she was getting off early and was going to go to a local urgent care facility that has COVID19 tests. She did the test, got the directions for being safe while waiting for the results. She comes home and we isolate her in our guest bedroom. It took about 48 hours to get the results of her test.... NEGATIVE! Earlier in the year, she had a few bouts with bronchitis. The medication she received starting really working after 3-4 days of use. She is back to feeling well, but it had me really scared there for a while. 

Yesterday I had my doctor's appt. I discovered that my blood pressure and blood sugar is too high, so we've constructed a plan to expedite the downturn for the numbers. She has also urged me to get on my bike more often. This month is not going well. As my Manatee friends know, I was hoping to do my first event this year, an aquabike race in Colorado. I've been checking the promoters FB page and their web site. No cancellation(yet), but I don't think I'll be comfortable to participate in an event this summer. I just don't feel comfortable being around that many people, and with pools closed, I won't be physically ready for this. 

So I am going to cancel my event goal and just concentrate on my health (physically and mentally). 

I hope that Janyne will let me still hang out with y'all! The Manatees are a great group of folks!

--Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127