BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-05-11 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Originally posted by BlueBoy26And Tom is already at 7,200 feet above sea level.  Stick with the swimming at the gym. 

Yep, my training environment is always at altitude! I learned early on the difference 7200 ft makes! 

Originally posted by BlueBoy26Go to Happy Jack to run outdoors.  :-)

If I was a runner, that would be my place to get away! 

I don't know if I ever actually ran at Happy Jack during the six years that I lived in Laramie, but when I made my campus tour to the University of Wyoming over spring break My Senior Year of Highschool I met with the Cross Country/ Distance Track Coach and he gave me a list of their sample running programs and it listed Happy Jack as one of there regular workouts.  We never went there once but the name stuck.  The most memorable run I ever did in Laramie was with the cross country team on a Saturday morning.  The coach usually was there on Saturday to get us started but there were some weeks that the varsity team was out of town so us walk-on's and scrubs would meet and get things done on our own.  Saturday was typically a 90-minute run and we would go down 3rd street over the pedestrian bridge over the railroad into west Laramie and back on Curtis Street.  We would fit about 12 miles.  So this morning the guys were debating what they wanted to do and someone said we should run to Abe.  I thought that maybe there was a fork on a creek somewhere out on the prairie called Abe's crossing or something. They all talked like they were going to get in trouble or something if they ran to Abe.  I asked how far it was and they said 7 miles.  I was the Freshman Redshirt walk-on and they were scholarship athletes so if anyone was going to get in trouble for only running 7 miles when Coach told them to Run 12 it wasn't going to be me.  I was all for seeing a new place and all for an easy workout so I said let's do Abe.  There was kind of a hushed fear that came over everyone when I made a decision but plans soon sprung into place.  One guy was going to drive SAG (we had never had SAG before) and the rest of us would head out.  It wasn't until we were two miles into the run starting a 5-miles uphill run on I-80 to the Abraham Lincon Memorial located at the highest point on the Licon Highway (first transcontinental highway in the USA now know as I-80) that I realized what they meant by Abe and where we were running to.  So 1300 feet of elation gain over 5 miles running on the shoulder of an interstate highway.  It was a pretty dumb thing to do and 12 miles on one of our regular routes would have been much easier than 5 miles of hill climbing.    

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-05-11 2:49 PM

2020-05-11 4:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Haha! Sounds like something I would have done! I have a route here that we used to call the "Church of Marathon" (it was a Sunday long run when I was training for Trials) that has a similarly steep climb, with a long, scenic descent on the other side. That was going to be my goal for the summer--DIY marathon including that loop, but my feet have been letting me know they don't appreciate the extra miles on pavement, so I don't know.....

I did one ride in summer of 2018 that basically did nothing but climb the entire time, for almost 4 hours. There was one descent but I put the bike in the car (Mom following, bless her heart) for that since the shoulder's really narrow and it's a pretty steep descent. Basically up over a pass and then up into the Sawtooth Mountains. My bike computer showed that the temp remained roughly the same (75) for the entire ride. It was 104 in Boise that afternoon/evening, but I had started at 6 AM and did nothing but gain altitude, as the day down below got warmer and warmer! Pretty gradual ascent from about 3300 feet to 7500, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds, but still....it really was all uphill.
2020-05-12 7:50 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by alaskatri It was good to see a few of you for a very brief moment this morning. Haha. I logged in to the chat but my computer was glitching up, and had no audio or video on my end. I could see you, but could not hear you, and you obviously could not see or hear me. Next week I think I'll try on my phone.

ACK! Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties!

Just to follow up with the Choose Your Own Adventure Talk that I mentioned towards the end of the call -- put your thinking caps on. If races still aren't a thing this fall/next spring but we feel comfortable with a gathering of 10-25 people (as opposed to 2000+ for an Ironman branded event), let's do a bike and beer and trail trail running meetup.  Of course, I proposed Western North Carolina ;-)  If 10-25 sounds like too many, we can always do mini-meets with two week pauses between.

P.S. I am working. I've been on hold for-ev-er!!!

or wineries, meaderies in WNC.
2020-05-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by alaskatri It was good to see a few of you for a very brief moment this morning. Haha. I logged in to the chat but my computer was glitching up, and had no audio or video on my end. I could see you, but could not hear you, and you obviously could not see or hear me. Next week I think I'll try on my phone.

Just to follow up with the Choose Your Own Adventure Talk that I mentioned towards the end of the call -- put your thinking caps on. If races still aren't a thing this fall/next spring but we feel comfortable with a gathering of 10-25 people (as opposed to 2000+ for an Ironman branded event), let's do a bike and beer and trail trail running meetup.  Of course, I proposed Western North Carolina ;-)  If 10-25 sounds like too many, we can always do mini-meets with two week pauses between.

Yes!

Robin, I am willing to take one for the team and help with scouting locations ;-)

2020-05-12 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't think North Carolina will be doable for us West Coast types in the near future! My hopes/plans for the summer don't extend beyond maybe being able to go to the beach for a run/walk and take-out picnic brunch. And that may be overly optimistic.
2020-05-12 10:14 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My ears perked up at the mention of wineries! There's a nice cluster in north Georgia (Dahlonega and area) - just putting that out there!

2020-05-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

My ears perked up at the mention of wineries! There's a nice cluster in north Georgia (Dahlonega and area) - just putting that out there!

Bikes and Beer and Wine and Trail Running/Hiking.  Sounds good to me!

2020-05-12 10:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I got stuck on a conference call ( 2 weeks in a row now - it's a conspiracy).

Des Moines 70.3 was finally cancelled and we were given a choice of a bunch of fall races including NC. That one sounds like the best option for us - although right now, I don't see fall races happening and I don't have a desire to go anywhere.

HAVING SAID THAT (a la Larry David).......I could drive to NC and might not be opposed to a manatee gathering I don't drink but the rest sounds fun. I'd even bring a mountain bike to ride with Kevin

Hope you all are staying healthy!
2020-05-12 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Yes!

Robin, I am willing to take one for the team and help with scouting locations ;-)

you are a giver that way!
2020-05-12 11:03 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Bronze member

there are some really excellent ones! I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised.
2020-05-12 11:05 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I got stuck on a conference call ( 2 weeks in a row now - it's a conspiracy).Des Moines 70.3 was finally cancelled and we were given a choice of a bunch of fall races including NC. That one sounds like the best option for us - although right now, I don't see fall races happening and I don't have a desire to go anywhere.HAVING SAID THAT (a la Larry David).......I could drive to NC and might not be opposed to a manatee gathering I don't drink but the rest sounds fun. I'd even bring a mountain bike to ride with Kevin Hope you all are staying healthy!
most of the destinations are gorgeous, so beverages can be secondary.

2020-05-13 1:44 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

almost unrelated - we've ordered a couple of puzzles to entertain ourselves and we're currently doing this one:

https://dowdlefolkart.com/products/chattanooga-puzzle

everytime I look at your avatar it reminds me of it.

The puzzle itself is really cool. the Colors are bright and the pieces are NOT your standard puzzle pieces. Highly recommended
2020-05-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Sooooo...I may have just bought a Salsa Journeyman gravel bike.

Edited by glfprncs 2020-05-14 10:43 AM
2020-05-13 2:48 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncsSooooo...I may have just bought a Salsa Jorneyman gravel bike. ??
Wonderful!!! Do you have a photo?
2020-05-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: #5270111

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
@Robin

Ordered it. Should have it in about 10 days, but here's a link:

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman/2019_journeyman_apex_1_700_...

It was SO hard not to blow the budget.
2020-05-13 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs @Robin Ordered it. Should have it in about 10 days, but here's a link: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman/2019_journeyman_apex_1_700_... It was SO hard not to blow the budget.

Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

2020-05-13 5:29 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

almost unrelated - we've ordered a couple of puzzles to entertain ourselves and we're currently doing this one:

The puzzle itself is really cool. the Colors are bright and the pieces are NOT your standard puzzle pieces. Highly recommended

We nearly always have a puzzle going at our house. My son and I occasionally work on them, but my wife and daughter are doing them all the time. We had one from dowdlefolkart a couple puzzles ago, and they loved it. So we just ordered 3 or 4 more of them. I think one is going to my FIL for father's day since he does them too.
2020-05-13 7:21 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert

there are some really excellent ones! I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised.

I might be able to sell Dahlonega GA!.When we lived in Atlanta we would camp in that area a lot. I even proposed to my wife at Amicalola Falls.
2020-05-14 4:46 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

@Robin

Congratulations on the Salsa, I see many adventures in your future!
POL post here, not really much to report other than my "A" race for the year - a 100 mile gravel race in August in Steamboat Springs, CO - was officially cancelled yesterday. Not that this was a surprise but still a disappointment. If things are open at that time, we (DH and some friends who were also signed up) may go anyway and do a bike-cation there.
2020-05-14 7:40 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by alaskatri

I ordered it right from Dowdle - I had a coupon so they were pretty cheap so I got 4. It said shipping could take 1 to EIGHT weeks! So far the Choo one is the only one that shipped so we still have 3 to look forward to
We nearly always have a puzzle going at our house. My son and I occasionally work on them, but my wife and daughter are doing them all the time. We had one from dowdlefolkart a couple puzzles ago, and they loved it. So we just ordered 3 or 4 more of them. I think one is going to my FIL for father's day since he does them too.

2020-05-14 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by glfprncs @Robin Ordered it. Should have it in about 10 days, but here's a link: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman/2019_journeyman_apex_1_700_... It was SO hard not to blow the budget.

Salsa makes a quality bicycle, congratulations!!! I love it.

2020-05-14 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

@Robin

Congratulations!
2020-05-14 2:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs Sooooo...I may have just bought a Salsa Journeyman gravel bike.

*doing the new bike dance* Congratulations!

2020-05-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Decision making process....

I am moving to Denver next month. My partner helps me with the move, plus - will spend some time with us once we arrive. We all drive there, I stay, he needs to come back to Chicago. We definitely want to do some bike riding, and trying to organize logistcs. Our options are:
1. Drive two cars. This will solve the bike hassle. The only challenge is it will take both of us about 18-20 hours to drive there, and we will be super tired. If we only drive one car, we will both drive, make it in 14 hours, and get a chance to have some rest between rides (we've been driving to Denver this way already).
2. Drive one car, he would fly back with a bike. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight, box and flying cost of the bike.
3. Drive one car, he would fly back, and ship the bike to Chicago. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight and bike shipping (that seems to be cheaper than bike flying).
4. Drive one car, rent a bike there, he flies back. The only challenge is we won't know if the rentals will be open (some of them are), and how many days we would ride. If it turns out many days, then it will be higher cost for each day.

I never flew with the bike nor shipped. Do you have any suggestions, or tips based on your experience?
2020-05-14 7:05 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by glfprncs@RobinOrdered it. Should have it in about 10 days, but here's a link:https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman/2019_journeyman_apex_1_700_blackIt was SO hard not to blow the budget.
Congratulations!
oooh!!! Aaahhh!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127