Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-10-02 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1707319

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Xterra wetsuit rant

First of all, I would like to give major props to Keith at Xterra for coming on a public forum and making things right.  Way to go.

Secondly, wetsuits will rip.  That's just how it goes.  If you're careful putting it on, you will minimize the likely hood of it ripping.  Key word being minimize.  I have athletes that have ripped brand  new Orca wetsuit, Blue Seventy and Xterra. 

I make sure that I clip my nails before a race, be smart about putting it on and go to town.  Taking it off, it will take all the abuse in the world.  Good stuff.

2008-10-02 7:43 AM

User image

Elite

That happened the second time I wore my QR suit!!  I was really peo'ed since the QR was a $350 suit.....and I have no fingernails.  I think its this new stretchy materials they are using.  My old Orca is going strong after 8 years.

and nice to see that the companies are standing behind their product.  But I do worry that these materials just aren't strong enough to be as long lasting as they were in the past.

Edited by turtlegirl 2008-10-02 7:45 AM
2008-10-02 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1710420

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
pga_mike - 2008-10-01 8:29 PM

I thought that my wetsuit would be a little more durable than that!  They can be ripped by a fingernail?  Do all serious triathletes have their fingernails removed?  Now, I'm afraid of pulling on the zipper, pulling it off, etc.

At my first tri, I saw the first out of the water get his mostly off before he left the pool deck.  It didn't look like he was really careful about taking it off.

YES, all wetsuits can tear with a finger nail hence it is very important to know how to put it on and take care of it something not all athletes do. You don’t want to pull with your finger nails but with the tip of your fingers (Taking it off is easier as you are wet and you are pulling from the inside) I've seen athletes pull and tear wetsuits because they are recklessly putting it on. That alone makes Keith's response and offer rather generous. Good job for Xterra!

2008-10-02 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC

This is one of those times I just never know what to think about customer service. It's awesome that this issue got resolved, but it's unfortunate that it took a public complaint on a forum full of potential customers to get a resolution.

Either way, unless Blue Seventy ditches their handsome military discount I'm sticking with them.

2008-10-02 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Xterra makes it right

OK for the record...I WAS BEING CAREFUL......I have owned a wetsuit for 4 years and I KNOW HOW TO PUT IT ON.  Once again....I had turned it inside out, and was pulling from the INSIDE of the suit but the tear occured on the OUTSIDE of the suit.  And its nearly competely thru and its not from my fingernail..... 

I'm very pleased that Xterra and Keith are going to make it right for me   Its going in the mail today. 

2008-10-02 12:13 PM

User image

Master

Good to see that the owner of a company will come to a public forum to back up his product and help someone out.

I am happy with my Xterra wetsuit and will stick with the brand.

2008-10-02 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

The wetsuits used in triathlons are the equivalent of an exotic sports car. I am a swimmer, so I did my first couple of races "nude". I decided that I needed one for Alcatraz and I was tired of giving away time to the wetsuit crowd. I have a couple of wetsuits from when I surfed but it was a swim specific suit I was after. I can still remember the panicked look in the eyes of the store personnel when I started to put on the wetsuit the way I used to put on a tough surf suit. I learned, but still put a small surface slit in one leg when putting the suit on the morning of Alcatraz. Easily fixed with rubber cement. I learned to trim my nails and be more careful.

Of course now that I've bitten by the bug, I want a top of the line, newest technology suit. I imagine those are even more delicate, but the reason I would get one is because of the technical advantages. I just wished I had listened to the sales person who suggested that because of my swimming background I could appreciate the difference between a very good (expensive) suit and an outstanding (very expensive suit). She was right. On the other hand if I had listened to her when I bought a 2007 suit last winter, I would have missed the opportunity to buy the NEWEST technology. I think I'll wait another year before I trade up. By then suits will be so technical, and so outlandishly expensive, they will probably come with the equivence of 24 hour road service where on race morning they will show up and help you put it on. Now taking it off, that's your problem.

Edited by E=H2O 2008-10-02 12:39 PM
2008-10-02 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm so happy to see Xterra step up to the plate on this one b/c my post was originally going to be, "I'm kinda surprised b/c I had excellent customer service from them..." I had ordered a suit, it was entirely too big and the 14 day return period had passed but they agreed to take it back and sent me a new suit which I LOVE LOVE LOVE...although I handle it with kid gloves, I'd be wicked bummed if I tore it...damn things aren't cheap!  Glad to hear it's going to work out - and it's true, everyone will have a story of frustration with any company or brand, it's all who you talk to when you have a problem...good luck & enjoy the suit!
2008-10-02 3:46 PM

User image

Master
I have a velocity swim skin and it is awesome. No issues with xterra here.
2008-10-02 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi

I think people named Keith are just generally awesome. Let me give you three quick examples off the top of my head: Keith from Xterra, Keith Jordan from Endurofun Sports, then there's ME!!  I mean, I think I'll be obligated to name my son Jr. to keep the tradition alive.

LOL, but seriously, wow, that is awesome.  I respect companies that really, truly care about customer satisfaction.  Awesome!

Edited to make it make JUST a bit of sense.  Probably failed miserably.

Edited by kmill23 2008-10-02 4:04 PM
2008-10-02 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
FWIW, my wife and I both have Xterra suits and have been happy with them and had excellent customer service when I had to do an expedited size exchange in order to get my suit in a larger size in time for one ocean swim prior to my next race. Zero complaints about suits or service on our end.

2009-03-26 6:58 AM

New user

Ybor City (Tampa), FL

I'm adding to Sue's thread since Jeff (Q) and I have experienced the same issue as her issue in October. 

DO NOT buy an Xterra Wetsuit!!!! Especially the high end ones. Jeff went to use his new $600 Vector Pro x2 yesterday and while putting it on for the first time discovered two tears in the materal on the lower front part of both legs.  Just for the record, Jeff was being careful with the suit. It is not like this is his first time putting on a wetsuit. He has done three IMs.

After a phone call and several emails to Xterra, including photos of the tears, they are saying the it happened while putting the suit on since the material is highly vulnerable to these types of finger tears and specific caution needs to be taken, specifically 10-15 minutes to put on and take off the suit, in order to avoid such mishaps. Further they will not replace the suit as this type of tear is not covered under their warranty for the suit. Instead they are going to send repair glue and swear that such repair will not affect the performance of the suit.

Okay ... so why the F*****K do you design a suit that is going to be used in competitive situations that requires 10-15 mins to take on and off if this is the type of damage that is going to be incurred.

Again, DO NOT BUY AN XTERRA WETSUIT!

I even tried to email Keith (from his email here in the threads) with no response. 
2009-03-26 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I concur- they rip very easily. I left mine inside out in transition for a race, and the rubber melted together, tearing a huge hole when I turned it right side in. Granted, the suit is 2 years old at this point, so maybe this is typical, but I had no idea that they could melt together during the time I was racing, and now I need a new suit.

Edited by jazz82482 2009-03-26 7:08 AM
2009-03-26 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
All top end suits rip easly.

It doesn't matter if you have a wetsuit for 4 years, it's not the same. My cheap zoot I can tug pretty good on that bad boy and it won't rip unless I really dug my finger in 1 spot. Even if you're pulling from the inside if you have a fold and pull to hard, it may rip. Or even if you pull too hard from the inside your finger could cause a rip.

Don't compare old wetsuits, especially if they werent top end ones, to your new top end one. It takes me 2-3x as long to get my Xterra on then my old zoot that I got for $230.
2009-03-26 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1711241

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Xterra makes it right
Socks - 2008-10-02 10:10 AM

OK for the record...I WAS BEING CAREFUL......I have owned a wetsuit for 4 years and I KNOW HOW TO PUT IT ON.  Once again....I had turned it inside out, and was pulling from the INSIDE of the suit but the tear occured on the OUTSIDE of the suit.  And its nearly competely thru and its not from my fingernail..... 

I'm very pleased that Xterra and Keith are going to make it right for me   Its going in the mail today. 

Yeah...I'm pretty sure you weren't being careful. Forgot to take the scalpel out of your had again, didn't you?

Until Keith chimed in, I was gonna suggest talking to your credit card company. But that's moot now.

2009-03-26 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Since my last post I bought a Xterra Vendetta and would offer these observations. 

The first wetsuit I bought was a Zoot Z1. It was, and still is a great suit, but as a swimmer I was looking for something that allowed me a better, more flexible feel in the water. The Vendetta is significantly better in that category. In fact in my last race I misjudged the start time and had extra time before my wave. I spent it further adjusting the suit. I had my best swim, and the most fun, of the season. For me the Vendetta was worth buying. Interestingly, even though I bought both suits on sale at the end of the season, the Xterra was less expensive.

In exchange for the extra flexibility comes loss of durability. Keeping in mind that even my Z1 can succumb to finger nail damage, I do find the Vendetta is more susceptible to it. However, to me they are small slits and not tears, which gives the impression that they go all the way through the material. They are only superficial and can be easily repaired. If you are going to buy an Xterra check out the info available on their wetsuit. When I bought mine they rated their wetsuits for flexibility and durability. Buy for your needs.

I was going to sell the Z1 but decided to keep it for training. As a swimmer it's nice to have 2 suits. It is definitely cheaper than the 2 bikes many cyclist have, and the 3 wetsuits I had when I surfed. If you are not a FOP swimmer, the extra flexibility may may not be worth it to you.

Also a hint. Always keep a nail clipper in your tri bag. if you don't clip the night before you can do it the morning of the race. Use a nail file after you clip.

2009-03-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1710074

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO
Keith Simmons - 2008-10-01 4:42 PM

Hey this is Keith Simmons the founder/owner of XTERRA WETSUITS.

We want you to be happy with your purchase.  Wetsuit tears are generally not covered under warranty. All triathlon wetsuits are manufactured with very similar rubber and are subject to the same rips and tears from brand to brand.

The fact that your new suit tore during your first day of trying it on would make anyone angry. Send it back to my attention and I'll send you a brand new one.

Keith Simmons- XTERRA WETSUITS, 7875 Convoy Ct., Suite 6, San Diego, California 92111 (my direct phone number is 858-565-9500 ext. 101)

Thanks for choosing our brand and I hope you have better sucess with the new suit that I send out your way.

Take care,

[email protected]

Sad that it takes a public forum to make the company replace the wetsuit. The company should have believed you the first time and replaced it.

I would take the replacement and ebay it. Go buy a suit from a company that has better CS. 

2009-03-26 12:56 PM

User image

Master

Sad that it takes a public forum to make the company replace the wetsuit. The company should have believed you the first time and replaced it.

I would take the replacement and ebay it. Go buy a suit from a company that has better CS.

Really??  How many other company owners/founders do you think would see a complaint on a public forum and offer to replace their product?

This is excellent customer service.   

I guess you can't make some people happy no matter what you do.

Edited by cordova61 2009-03-26 12:57 PM
2009-03-26 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2041785

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
cordova61 - 2009-03-26 10:56 AM

Really??  How many other company owners/founders do you think would see a complaint on a public forum and offer to replace their product?

This is excellent customer service.   

I guess you can't make some people happy no matter what you do.

x2
2015-09-02 11:33 PM
in reply to: 0

My xterra vector pro rips every time I put it on. And it is not from fingernails because it often rips several inches away from where I am pulling. I bought one, and it fell apart the first time I wore it. I sent it back and they sent me a replacement (after "evaluating" it for 4 weeks). But my new one has been worn 10 times and I have repaired at least 20 rips. I am super careful about how I put it on but all doubt was erased when I was pulling it from my thigh and I saw a new tear burst at the knee. The suit is now two years old so I don't think they will take it back. But I don't think I'll ever order one from them again. It's costing me too much in repair glue.

Edited by sonofjay99 2015-09-02 11:34 PM
2015-09-03 12:03 AM
in reply to: sonofjay99

User image

Extreme Veteran
Interesting how different experiences can be between suits.

I got my suit from last year's stock mid winter, the Vector Pro.

I have been thrilled with it, the service to make sure I got the right fit was great, I've practiced with it through the summer, used it at multiple OWS events, and so far not one fingernail rip, seam issue etc. at all.

I've even had people ask me whether it's a brand new suit cause it is in such good shape!

2015-09-03 8:49 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by sonofjay99

My xterra vector pro rips every time I put it on. And it is not from fingernails because it often rips several inches away from where I am pulling. I bought one, and it fell apart the first time I wore it. I sent it back and they sent me a replacement (after "evaluating" it for 4 weeks). But my new one has been worn 10 times and I have repaired at least 20 rips. I am super careful about how I put it on but all doubt was erased when I was pulling it from my thigh and I saw a new tear burst at the knee. The suit is now two years old so I don't think they will take it back. But I don't think I'll ever order one from them again. It's costing me too much in repair glue.

My vector pro stuck together under the arm while drying on a line with a dozen other suits. Without asking the complete story Keith accused me of letting it dry in sunlight or a "heated environment" and the suit MELTED and therefore was not covered under warranty. Well it wasn't in direct sunlight and the other suits did not melt (some Xterra and some others).

Not wanting to get into an Internet debate over it I let it go and call it "lesson learned" because you get what you pay for.
2015-09-03 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by sonofjay99

this is pretty much my experience. I can simply look at it and it rips :-)

However the rips are usually easy to fix. I have had the wetsuit 2 seasons and I am sure I fixed 20 or more rips. The good news is the fabric under the neoprene is pretty solid, holds the suit together and makes fixing pretty easy.

I have had an Orca for 6 years and it has maybe 2 or 3 rips total
2015-09-03 9:21 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

From what I've seen, out of a group of 30 or so triathletes, the Xterra suits seem MUCH more prone to rip.  Our own personal suits are Blue Seventy's and a HUUB.  The Blue Seventy's are 4 and 5 years old.  One of them (4 year old) has a very small rip but it has been used and abused..  The HUUB is one year old.....no issues at all. 

I could not recommend Xterra.....even on a 7 year old thread.

2015-09-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My Xterra ripped a lot.  So does my Huub.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra wetsuit rant Rss Feed  

of 3