Silverman
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 15h 04m 17s
Overall Rank = 95/170
Age Group = Clyde 40+
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Followed the BT nutrition plan. Coffee, cliff bar, and some oatmeal. Then started drinking to top off the tank fluid wise.
Event warmup:

None. I knew I was going to be out there for a LONG time and would be starting the swim easy. So no need to do anything to warm up.
Swim
  • 1h 23m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Longest OWS EVER!

Good swim. I followed my plan to a "T" and swam it easy. I found feet to follow the entire time so I could just coast. I had to laugh because I could see where some of my workouts came into play. I would see a different swimmer going just a tad faster, so I would sprint to get to them, then recover while in their slip stream. That must have happened a half dozen times.

The swim out was great but things got a little tougher after the turn to go back in. At first, the problems were easily fixed with left side breathing (waves coming from the right). But then we made a right turn and turned straight into the wind for the last 900 yards. The waves would slap you in the face while sighting, or submerge your head and arms. I probably swallowed half the lake. But you know what? I LOVED it!!!! I was laughing and felt like a kid in a water park. I was yelling at the wind and waves "Is this the best you can do!!!". I reminded myself of Lieutenant Dan from "Forest Gump" while he was sitting the shrimp boat mast yelling at the storm... TOTAL blast - I LOVE the water.

However, I had a feeling that some people might be getting pulled out. I talked to a couple people later on, and they said they started looking for a boat once or twice. Also, they had to postpone the HIM swim over an hour because the conditions were so bad.

The only negative for me, is that both calves were cramping a little after the swim, which made me nervous about the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - perfect swim for my first IM.
Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

Took my time getting properly dressed. I needed to put on extra cold weather gear, apply sunscreen, etc.

Maybe try to be a little faster. But I'm cool with what I did.
Bike
  • 8h 37m
  • 112 miles
  • 13.00 mile/hr
Comments:

First century EVER!

Let me get this out first. I SUCK MAJOR BALLS at biking. I knew this was going to be the hardest part of the race. Plus I missed two crucial long bikes during my training. I was passed by everyone and their mothers in the first 40 miles - demoralizing. Plus I had to keep my ego in check and not try to keep up with them. I had to bike my OWN race. That being said, I still probably pushed too hard for a while.

The first 2 hours were miserable. Cold, rain, windy with gusts... The rain drops sounded like fire crackers on my helmet and stung like needles on the side of my face. Yes, it was raining sideways from my left. BUT, I must say that I was pretty comfortable with regards to temperature. After some tips from some BTers (ChrisM and KathyG) I purchased some arm warmers and had a heavier weight jersey. I also wore fingerless gloves. I felt just right, temperature wise.

I felt bad for some people. They had on try suits and that’s it. One guy actually rode without a shirt. Crazy.

The weather slowed me down. I was nervous about the slick pavement, the gusty winds, and the high speeds you can get on the descents. I ended up riding on the hoods A LOT, and using the brakes. I didn't get the full advantage of 'free speed' on the downhills due to fear. I need to get over that. However, I saw two crashes, and I didn't want to be a third.

I followed my nutrition plan pretty well but made some adjustments. I wanted 3 bottle per hour, but since it was so cool, and I wasn't sweating as much, so I drank only 2/hour. That was perfect because I still had to stop and pee a couple times on the bike. My calves threatened to cramp up the entire time too, which made me nervous. So I added some Endurolites and some bananas from the aid stations to my nutrition. Worked out great.

After about mile 43, I really got into a rhythm and hung out in Z1/Z2. I kept seeing bikers get out of the saddle on all the climbs and thought to myself "they better save themselves". I don't know them, so they might be ok with it, but I know the course, and you have to save energy. Sure enough, I stared to pass a couple people back up. They were suffering from leg cramps.

So, at mile 90, I would have to say I was mentally over with the bike. I was ready for it to be done. I gave a small cheer to myself at mile 100 (first century in my life), and continued on. I was SO happy to get off the bike at 112. I bet you could have bought my P2C from me for $20 at that point. I never wanted to see it again!

SIDE STORY. I was SO paranoid about a mechanical failure, that I worried myself to death on the bike. At about mile 5, I hit an unavoidable hole, and heard a "twang!". It made me think I busted a spoke. I was in a panic. So I looked down, but the wheel seemed to be rolling true, so I kept on going, but kept an eye on it. Then, when I slowed down, I would hear this strange rhythmic metal scraping sound. I was sure it was a lose spoke rubbing against another spoke, but the wheel was still as true as it could be. After a couple hours of this torment, I realized it was the flap of my tri shoe hitting the crank arm on every stroke!!! I was so relieved, but angry with myself too.

Another time, some girl was clapping at such a precise cadence, that it sounded like some "tick, tick, tick". It was so perfect, and it matched my cadence, I could swear it was coming from my bike. I looked and looked to see what was broken, only to find out it was clapping!!! Weird, huh? I was SO scared about mechanical problems, that I was imagining things. Side note, I'm buying carbon Tri spokes. I don't want to ever fear breaking a spoke during a race.

I met BTer Chile7473 on the bike ride. Someone flew by my like a blur, but I recognized the bike and wheels. So I thought about it for a while, then decided to catch up and introduce myself. I got up and sprinted, asked “are you Chile”. I got a “yes”! So we gave the typical fist pound while riding and talked for a little, then I let him go… Saw him at just before the turn around, then never again.

I really want to try a flat course IM. On the flats, I was just gobbling people up. I would ask myself “how can they be SO fast on the climbs, but then so SLOW on the descents and flats”? But, I would just get left in the dust on any kind of climb.

Overall, I was happy about my bike. I rode perfectly for my ability. I still suck at it, but I dealt with it and saved enough energy for the run.

Get better biking - more hills.
Transition 2
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Really good transition. Best in my division and great overall.
Run
  • 4h 53m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

First Marathon EVER!

I was SO happy to get off the bike. I kind of felt that once I got to the run, I was going to be an Ironman. I didn't have to fear a crash or mechanical failure. I knew the success rested entirely on me, and not equipment.

I was SHOCKED how well I felt for the run. My first loop (13.1 miles) was at 2:11. That's WAY faster than any of my half HIM splits I ever had.

I just grinded it out. My nutrition was good. I fell into a habit of one cup of chicken broth and a cup of water on the even miles, and then one cup of Gatorade and a cup of water on the odd miles. Fluids were good as I had to go to the bathroom 3 times on the run.

My clothes selection was spot on again. I was "comfortably cool" the entire time. Many other racers had to run with a space blanket on. I felt bad for them, (but not really! - they should have planned better!).

The only time things got bleak is when I started out for the second loop. I was smart to pack a beanie in my SN bag, and it served me well.

I have to admit, I was BEAT during the second loop. I had to walk a bit (which I didn't have to do on my first loop). I ended up doing the second loop in 2:43, more than 30 minutes slower. Nutrition went out the window. I was not planning to eat anything solid, but I was SO hungry, that I gobbled up some bananas and some cookies during the last 10k. I also decided to try some Coke. I never trained with it, but it just sounded good. I can't BELIEVE how great it tasted! The sugar and caffeine worked wonders, maybe more for the mind, rather than the body. I just didn't like the carbonation. Caused me to have a little gas (belching)...

There were some pretty dark moments out there on the second loop. Thoughts of cutting the course short, giving up, walking the rest of the way, etc. But I would NOT let any of that happen. I couldn’t quit, and I would NEVER EVER cheat. Then I could never call myself an Ironman. There were a lot of times that I would come to a walk, then yell at myself "COME ON, JIM. RUN!!!! What are you saving it for!?!? YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!" So I would pick it back up.

My race strategy was perfect and I had just enough energy to finish the run. My running form was strong compared to a lot of people out there. I saw a lot of people suffering. It looked like “The Land of the Walking Dead” out there. People staggering and limping and running with an odd “tilt” to their body. I also passed a good portion of the people that passed me on the bike. I KNEW I would get some of my time back!

In general, the run was a blur. Just 5 hours of being in the “Dead Zone”.

Nada
Post race
Warm down:

Pics and Pizza!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear of the bike (mechanical issues and crashing) and biking fitness.

Event comments:

Random Thoughts:

I was really shooting for a sub 15 hour IM. Got close! My biking, due to skill, fitness, and mostly the weather, was my downfall. I REALLY tried to make up for it on the run, but couldn't make up the last 5 minutes.

Some people say that you consider quiting a thousand times on the course. I can honestly say, I NEVER considered quiting. However, I hit one dark moment, where I could see where it would be possible to think that way. For me, it was after the first loop of the run. I was DONE with this race. I was into it for about 12 1/2 hours, exhaused, hurting, hungry... Then thought of going back out to do the second loop, where it was even darker, colder, and I was more tired, was almost too much to bare. But quiting? NOT an option. I just went out and grinded it out.

One moment I thought was funny, I hit the 7 hour mark while on the bike and asked myself "why did I sign up for the IM instead of the HIM? I would be done right now, drinking beer! But no, I still have 8 hours to go..."

My wife and I were talking before the race about what you think about for 15 hours. I was not sure. I figured you think about everything. Boy was I wrong, I didn't daydream much at all. I was into the race. I was calculating paces, figuring out finish times based on my progress, I was think about the road, conditions, cadence, HR, pace, mechanical issues, when to drink, when to eat, etc. I was surprised how into it mentally you have to be.

Got away with no serious issues/injuries. A little blister on my right little toe, as well as some damage to the right big toe nail. Nothing any more serious than something I would get on a training run. I also got some chaffing under my arm since I wore my arm warmers under my running shirt.

They promote this as the hardest full distance triathlon created. I have only done this one, so I can't confirm that claim, but I won't argue it. It is HANDS DOWN the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. PLUS, the foul weather conditions did not make it any easier.

The two days after have been rough. No cramping, so I know I did well with nutrition and conditioning. But some pretty bad muscle sorness from overuse. But it's getting better.

Overall, I'm proud of my accomplishment. No one can EVER take this away from me. This has been a lifetime dream, and I did it!

I was SHOCKED to find out I placed 1st in my division! Hardware and some gifts and prizes! I was so sure I was NOT going to place, I skipped the awards breakfast the next day so I could sleep in! I have gone to too many awards ceremonies in the past, to leave disapointed and emptyhanded. So the one I skip, I would have been awarded 1st!!!! Maybe I should skip more of them!

I think I got most of my thoughts down. I may add more. Sorry it was is so long! But hey! It's and IM, there is a lot to talk about!

For the race, I averaged 144bpm. Solid Z1/Z2. Peaked at 185bpm on the 3 sisters. I also maxed out the odometer on the calorie counter! Over 9999 calories burned. I estimate about 16,000.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:23:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 48/170
Performance: Good
Ave HR: 157 BPM. Probably a little too high.
Suit: Full
Course: "L" shaped out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
08:37:00 | 112 miles | 13.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 137/170
Performance:
Ave HR: 148bpm. Perfect! Dead Center of Z2
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Lake Mead and Henderson Silverman Full route
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:53:59 | 26.2 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 66/170
Ave HR: 135bpm. Solid Z1
Course: 2 loop Silverman Full course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-11 1:19 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Silverman - Full Ironman
And there you have it....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-11-11 1:20 PM

2008-11-11 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1802017

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: RE: Silverman - Full Ironman
Great race and awesome RR.  It was definitely chilly out there, I spent the rest of the evening after the race shivering.  I can't imagine what it must have been like for all of you crazy people who did the full.  Congrats on winning your division!!!
2008-11-11 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Jim:

Congrats!! Thanks for the awesome read...that bike sounds epic! And Hardware to boot.  YOU Are AN IRONMAN!!!

2008-11-11 1:35 PM

CONGRATS!!! Sounds like you had an interesting day out there! Way to push through the nasty weather, and congrats on picking up some hardware too!
2008-11-11 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
You are the man.  Way to go, my friend.  Getting through the low times is what seperates the attempters from the acheivers. 
2008-11-11 2:24 PM

User image

"SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP" was my favorite sign on Horizon.

Seriously, how you managed to do the 112 then 2 laps on that run course is beyond me. I could barely finish the first (land of the walking dead here, WITH the tilt hehe)

You should be so  proud of yourself: I hope you're wearing your hats, tee shirts, medal, blankie, backpack and anything else you can think of all day to commemorate your efforts. There's something about this race that generates such enthusiasm. BRAVO, you hero!

PS, the awards breakfast was quite enjoyable. Sorry you missed it!

2008-11-11 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1802243

User image

Sensei
Sin City
redlv - 2008-11-11 12:24 PM 

PS, the awards breakfast was quite enjoyable. Sorry you missed it!

Darn...

I went last year, and Dave Scott was hilarious.  Macca wasn't bad either.  I bet there were LOTS of complaints about the weather!  You might have to tell me more of what happened...  Maybe it's recorded somewhere on video.

I was just beat, and the thougt of getting up at 6:30 for breakfast.

2008-11-11 2:28 PM

User image

you rock dude.  excellent report.

so... when's the next one?

2008-11-11 2:29 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Congratulations!  That's an awesome race and an awesome RR.  Good luck with your next one!
2008-11-11 2:42 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations, Ironman!!  That was a great race and RR.  Love the pictures, especially the one at the end. 

Playing it safe on the bike was a good call given conditions.  Sure, you regret not going a little faster on the downhills, but you would be a lot more upset if you had crashed on one of them.  I'm not sure I could have kept going in those conditions.

2008-11-11 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!

Smart, well executed race. Glad you avoided mechanical issues and rode the race you planned. Sounds like you really enjoyed the swim and had fun out there. Great job on the run..most folks walk a portion of their IM run.

I agree it is interesting to observe what you think about for 15 or 16 hours out there. It was totally different thoughts than I expected as I think bad weather makes you focus more on the 10 feet in front of your bike. 

Glad your thinking about clothing prior to the event kept you comfortable so you could do your best. What was the high and low for the day?

Hardware on a super tough course in your first IM, now what will you do to top that?

2008-11-11 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Awesome job out there brutha! I knew you were going to kick butt -- never a doubt. Next time, if ever, I'm in Vegas or you're in Chicago, I'm buying shots!!!
2008-11-11 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Congratulations IRONMAN! What an accomplishment!

Very impressive how you battled the rain and cold out there as well as such a challenging course. Way to push it to the finish as difficult as it was. You played it smart and have the hardware to show it!

2008-11-11 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Congrats on your finish.  This sounds like an awesome race and jsut looking at the bike elevation combined with the weather it was tough conditions no doubt.  Like you said, you are now an IRONMAN and NOBODY can ever take that away from you!!
2008-11-11 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Whoo hoooo   Congrats to you and a great race report!! 
2008-11-11 3:28 PM

User image

Giver
Wow...to complete that course on that day...you're the man!

2008-11-11 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

Awesome Job! That bike couse is hard enough in good weather.

2008-11-11 3:48 PM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
Great RR and even better GREAT JOB!! Truly inspiring and definitely had your "head in the game"!!
2008-11-11 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Congratulations Iron Man!  Great RR,  great effort, great results!

PS,  is that bike still for sale,  I've got the $20, and I'll even pay shipping. Smile

2008-11-11 5:49 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Congrats Jim! Loved reading your race report
2008-11-11 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Great job!  I think I was sitting next to you at the Athlete's Meeting.  I knew you looked familiar but couldn't place it until I saw your finisher photo's.  I will have to introduce myself next time.  Anyway, after Sunday, I have decided that you are crazy for picking THIS race for your first Ironman.  Nothing must scare you!

2008-11-11 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on your accomplishment! Looks like you did a really good job planning, executing, and toughing it out. Awesome!
2008-11-11 6:33 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Wow

congrats!

2008-11-12 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Jim - through following your training for Silverman, this is exactly the race I hoped you would have, where you performed exactly as you have trained (maybe even better ).  You had a smart plan and executed it perfectly despite brutal conditions.   The hardware is the icing on the cake - you're an Ironman now - revel in it - you have certainly earned that right!!  Great race and great report - I am very happy for you!
2008-11-12 9:03 AM

User image

Elite
Sweet race man!  Sounds like your race strategy was spot on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Full Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2