Canada
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 43m 4s
Overall Rank = 76/194
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/32
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am. Granola w/soy milk and two cups of coffee in the room. Drove to the race with Heidi. Arrived around 5:30am, got chip and body-marked and set up transition. Pottied, then wet suit on, and we're off! We had assigned rack positions. There were four elite women in this race -- I was sandwiched between two of them and right next to the other two. Can you say bike envy??
Event warmup:

Not much. Swam from one beach over to the start area and tried to jockey for a good starting position.
Swim
  • 29m 52s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not sure of rank as they haven't parsed out the results yet. I think I was the 5th woman (I was 81st including men/women). Somehow I totally missed the 1:00 warning, and was standing around with my goggles on my forehead when the gun went off. Crap!!! That flustered me a little bit but I got off OK. I had tried to start near the front/right and I found a rhythm pretty quickly. I don't tend to draft -- can never find legs the right speed and don't like feet in my face. I swam side-by-side with one guy for much of the swim. Rounded every buoy really tightly, so good navigation. I felt good and just tried to be relaxed and not tax myself too much. A nice swim!!
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to the start so I don't get caught off-guard!
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Pretty smooth. I didn't want to rush it, but the adrenaline really kicks in and it's hard to slow down! Tried to dry off my back and spray on some sunscreen. No problems with anything.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 6s
  • 87 kms
  • 26.35 km/hr
Comments:

So the bad part about being a good swimmer is that there aren't many people in front of you on the bike so you get passed.... a lot. Add to that the fact that biking is my weakess and I get passed.... a lot. I am totally prepared for this, but it does get demoralizing after awhile. I passed my first person at 25 miles, and he passed me right back. We cat-and-moused for about 15 miles, and I eventually prevailed. Overall I passed four people. Four.

I tried to gear down and not kill myself on the hills, but also tried not to be too much of a pansy. Tried to really pick up the downhills and push comfortably hard on the few flat areas.

I had to pee pretty badly, which I have never done on the bike. I told 3 people passing me on a hill that I was contemplating taking this big step, and the woman totally told me to go for it. On the next downhill, we got a decent shower, so I let 'er rip. People tell you to pee on your bike all the time, but they never tell you what happens: It runs down your legs, into your shoes, just everywhere. The rain was very helpful!

Around mile 40 I had to pee again, but there was no rain and I only had Infinit. At the next aid station, I swapped out my empty bottle for a water bottle, and then peed again and rinsed off. So glad I have mastered this race strategy! I did not want to get off my bike to take care of that!!

My loops were split pretty evenly -- I think I was about 2:00 slower on the 2nd loop, but there was definitely more wind. I kept looking for my training buddy Heidi towards the end of the ride. I swim faster, she bikes faster, and we are pretty closely matched for the run. We had a fantasy of running together, but I didn't see her. Oh well.

I tried to ride my own ride and just keep the pace smooth and not kill myself so I'd have some legs for the run. I did a good job. I wonder if I could have pushed harder, but if I did who knows what I would have lost on the run.

My parents and kids (and Heidi's husband and kids) were there at the end cheering me on -- sooooo cool to see that!!

Be better!! But I can't change that on race day, so I'll just keep training!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure of time, as it is grouped with my 1st run loop (many are, I hope they parse it out). I had a hard time racking my bike as one of the fancy elite bikes was crowding my space. Everything was wet from the earlier rain. The area was a mess and I also had a hard time finding my Garmin wrist strap. As I was looking around, I heard Heidi yelling at me -- she had just come in from the bike. Yeah!! So I waited a few seconds for her so we could run together. Fun!

Put my Garmin wrist strap in my hat so I don't lose it.
Run
  • 1h 50m 12s
  • 20 kms
  • 05m 31s  min/km
Comments:

This was HARD... but it's meant to be, right? I started with Heidi and we just tried to pretend it was a training run. She is a strong runner! I felt pretty good starting out, didn't have icky bike legs, really. I felt like we were pushing a bit, but I was gonna go for it. I didn't have my Garmin set to HR, for better or worse -- had I known my HR I probably would have slowed down! I had to walk a few steps through aid stations as I have a really hard time drinking and running. Heidi ran the aid stations and it was hard to catch her. I ran behind her about 5 feet for much of the 1st lap, then caught her for the go-around. Saw Heidi's family and mine too -- so that was encouraging. I ate two Gus and drank some water.

The 2nd loop was definitely harder, we were feeling it. But we kept trying to push ourselves. I really hate Gus but I knew I needed nutrition so I forced down a 3rd one. About that time Heidi was ahead again (after water at an aid station) and I told her I was having a hard time. We had already agreed that we would totally do our own race and not wait for one another. So I let her go but tried to keep her in my sights.

I was having some pretty negative thoughts, which for me means I need nutrition. So I forced down a 4th Gu at about 13 or 14K. The last 6K were hard. I knew I was in a position to crush my 6:00 goal, so I was telling myself, "It's OK to walk! You'll still be sub-6:00!" But I was also hearing Heidi's husband in my head. The day before he had said, "You've done all the training. Now it's just about what's between your ears. It's 100% mental." I did not want to be mentally weak. So NO WALKING. Passed 15K, and I'm thinking, "OK... 3.1 miles to go. It's not so bad. Even if you slow down you'll be done in less than 30 minutes." When I passed 16K, I told myself, "It's like swimming 4000 meters. That's so easy, and that's SWIMMING. This is RUNNING. Piece of cake." (But it sure didn't feel like it.) Same pep talk at 17K -- only now it's like swimming 3000 meters. NO BIG DEAL. At 18K I told myself, "You just have to run what you swam this morning. That was such an easy swim. Imagine running it. No big deal!!" At 19K it was just, "HANG ON HANG ON HANG ON. You can do this and finish strong." A few hundred yards from the finish line my kids came running up. They are fast and strong!! We held hands and ran like gang-busters for the finish chute. I could see the timer ticking down... could I get there sub-5:43? No... I couldn't. But who cares, cuz I got to STOP!!!

I told myself during the run that maybe I shouldn't have stayed with Heidi the first lap and I could have finished stronger. But maybe I would have just been slower overall, so it's good she pushed me. I think the end of a run will always be tough -- it's part of the bargain, right? (Heidi ended up with a 5:40 -- she negative split her run. We were 11th and 12th in our AG, which we were so happy about!)
Post race
Warm down:

I had to sit for a few minutes, Heidi told me to drink Gatorade. I was really overwhelmed and just spent spent spent. I made myself eat some bagel w/peanut butter and a cookie, drank a few cups of Gatorade. Went to the lake and stood waist-deep -- to rinse off the pee (!) and rest the legs. Got a 15' massage. Tried to walk, but I just hurt. Cried a little. Ached. Limped. Then we pretty much hopped in the car and went off to catch a ferry. I finally showered around 11pm that night! Dad drove home so I napped and relaxed in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, really. I think I did what I was capable of doing on that day and on that course.

Event comments:

A really lovely race. Smaller than many HIMs (about 600 participants). A gorgeous course in a lovely setting. Challenging but not crushing. Super-friendly competitors. Good swag -- cool hooded tech sweatshirt.

Last updated: 2008-11-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:52 | 2000 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 5/194
Performance: Good
Suit: Long-sleeved wetsuit
Course: One counter-clockwise loop. Lake, smooth water. Temp was 19C = 70F.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:18:06 | 87 kms | 26.35 km/hr
Overall: 0/194
HR avg was 144, which is good for me (high Z2). HR was in Z2/Z3 for most of the ride, about half and half. Pace is 16.2mph (according to my Garmin).
Wind: Some
Course: Out about 3 miles, then two loops, then back. Rolling hills the entire way. Not overly steep, but constant. The downhills were nice too. Cool, cloudy, a couple of small rain showers. More wind on the 2nd loop than on the 1st.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:12 | 20 kms | 05m 31s  min/km
Overall: 0/194
8:53/mile. Time is from my Garmin -- they don't have it up yet as a total run time (and T2 is included in it).
Course: Two loops around Elk/Beaver Lake. Gravel/trails with a couple of slight inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Subject: New Balance 1/2 Ironman

2009-06-22 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2234409

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: New Balance 1/2 Ironman
Awesome race, Kyla!!!  I wonder if I might have been the lady that was encouraging you to pee on your bike?  Tee hee hee!  I know I rode beside a lady in a multi colored Pearl Izumi top that was needing to go REAL bad, so I said "just do it!"  If that was you, I was racked near you and your friend too
2009-06-22 2:33 PM

Amazing race.  You should be so proud of ourself.  I really liked the way you self talked yourself through the last few km.  

2009-06-22 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Fantastic Job, Kyla! I'm so proud of you!!! You rocked your training and played an awesome mental game for the race! YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!!

Congrats on peeing on the bike too! It's harder than it looks
2009-06-22 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2234592

User image

Master
Busygirl - 2009-06-22 2:12 PM Awesome race, Kyla!!!  I wonder if I might have been the lady that was encouraging you to pee on your bike?  Tee hee hee!  I know I rode beside a lady in a multi colored Pearl Izumi top that was needing to go REAL bad, so I said "just do it!"  If that was you, I was racked near you and your friend too

It had to have been you who told me to pee (and made it sound so easy). So THANKS for that, cuz it changed my life!! LOL!! Congratulations back at you on a great race!!
2009-06-22 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Hey, I've been reading recent HIM race reports, just to get a feel of what other people are experiencing. I've got my first HIM on July 4th.

Absolutely AWESOME job -- it's always demoralizing getting passed by so many on the bike, but just think that quite a few of them you will pass on the run! And next time you'll only be a stronger biker!

Now here's a question: when you say you peed on your bike? Do you mean... you just peed straight through your tri suit onto your bike frame? For real?! Although that sounds ridiculous, if it prevents me from stopping at a portapottie, I'm all for it. I've never even thought of that!

2009-06-22 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2235250

User image

Master
krystyna47 - 2009-06-22 4:55 PM Hey, I've been reading recent HIM race reports, just to get a feel of what other people are experiencing. I've got my first HIM on July 4th.

Absolutely AWESOME job -- it's always demoralizing getting passed by so many on the bike, but just think that quite a few of them you will pass on the run! And next time you'll only be a stronger biker!

Now here's a question: when you say you peed on your bike? Do you mean... you just peed straight through your tri suit onto your bike frame? For real?! Although that sounds ridiculous, if it prevents me from stopping at a portapottie, I'm all for it. I've never even thought of that!

I do the same thing... This was my first HIM and I read race report after race report after race report looking for any tips. And yes, in my mind I'd say to the men on the fancy tri bikes, "Just you wait, Stud-Muffin, cuz I'm gonna come back and get you on the run!" I only got passed a few timesyes,  on the run and passed plenty, so for some of those guys that was the reality.

And yes, ya just pee in your shorts!! You kinda gotta stand up to do it, so a downhill is best. I would never do it in training, and always told myself that I wasn't fast enough to do something like that in a race. But at the time it was just fine. The rain helped a ton, of course!! But it wasn't so bad (warm and wet!) -- feeling it going into my shoes was the worst part. But you figure if you have to go that badly it's probably pretty diluted, right?
2009-06-23 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
What a great report! You worked so hard- I'm glad it paid off. Awesome race- that's some serious mental "matzi " you had going on!
2009-06-23 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Great job kkcbelle!!  That's an awesome race.  Way to talk yourself through the run.  I know if I get up to a HIM distance, the run will def be the hardest for me too.
2009-06-23 10:14 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Congrats again Kyla...that a great 1st HIM!!!!  I think you've just given me the confidence to finally pee on my bike   I've been trying during long training rides, but I just haven't been able to do it yet.
2009-06-23 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

Awesome report!  You did amazing.  Way to keep pushing yourself.  I've never been able to pee on the bike.  As hard as I've tried, I jus' can't do it!

Excellent finish, and excellent time!

2009-06-23 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Awsome, Awsome! On your 2nd HIM the run will be a little easier as your training will get you to the starting line with more stamina.  Totaly great race, really good mental toughness.  My last 3 miles of my first full mary felt like your last 3 km of this race.  Just suck it up and get it done with no walking.  Tha is an amazing time for a first or even a 2nd or 3rd HIM, you should be very proud!

Oh and teach me how you learned to swim so fast!!!

Edited by Baowolf 2009-06-23 12:17 PM
2009-06-23 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Awesome job!!! Great swim and great job on the bike and run as well! I know how hard it is to get constantly passed on the bike, but hey, at least we dont have to slog it out in the pool as much!I hope your training treats you well!
2009-06-23 2:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-23 10:16 PM

Congratulations on a great race!  Good for you for peeing... not sure if I could do that or not, but haven't had to make that decision yet! ;-)

I did the same thing as you and read all the RR's I could find before doing this half iron last year.. and it really does help, so thanks for putting one up!

2009-06-27 10:50 AM

Well done, I am very jealous though that I have now heard of two people who were able to pee on the bike for the first time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed