Ithaca Tri Club
74F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 18m 53s
Overall Rank = 163/191
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

I was feeling the nerves hit Saturday night. Vanquished them by going to bed so I wouldn't think about it. Woke up at 4;45 and the nerves hit again. That said, breakfast was peanutbutter and banana on a whole wheat english muffin with a glass of milk and some coffee. Family started getting up slowly. We loaded the bike onto the car with lightning starting. Uh oh.,....Please don't turn into a du...Headed to the lake. I had another cup of coffee with me but the nerves wouldn't let me drink it. Got in and found our car parked next to another racer from VA. How likely is that to go to upstate NY for a race and see another southerner?

This race organization is top notch in their transition security. Not allowed in without the tag they put on at packet pickup...as well as the body marking. So I head over to body marking and then find Dex setting up his transition area. Set up my transition then found an edge of the transition area to do my PT so Dex wouldn't yell at me.

Got my chip..wandered around nibbling on a cliff bar and some water. The nerves were settling.

Dex wants coffee...he got mine.

Event warmup:

Prerace meeting. Yeah, I know...no drafting...I remember the transition entrances/exits...Let's roll.

Headed to the beach and pulled on the wetsuit. Prerace BT love from Dex, all he was gonna give me all day....he was out to kick my tail. Little swim, maybe 250 yards at most. Wait for the waves to go off. b
Swim
  • 38m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have never been a good swimmer. In fact, some of my OWS events are down right laughable if not pathetic. I spent my entire week in NY vanquishing the OWS monster.

Dex and I were in the same wave, thought he wanted me to start up front with him but I knew I'd be creamed so I hung back. Let the jackrabbits start off. I was mentally keeping track of the bouys on the way out. How many have I passed now? Oh, here's the green one that looks like a hershey kiss...that's the turn bouy for the sprinters.

Got some feet to draft off. Settled between 2 sets of feet. Was doing okay but got a couple feet on the goggles and moved out from them. When they pulled off I pulled back in and swam as close to the bouy line as I ever have in my life. Hugged that thing to stay on course.

Hit the turn bouy and had the chop working with me a little bit. Got back in between those feet and then along side someone else. Wow, I'm having a good swim. I'm back to the hershey kiss bouy and I haven't hugged a kayak...I haven't had to backstroke. The smile starts to form...

Suddenly I catch a glimpse of a pink cap from the wave behind ours in the water with me. Started to get discouraged but with my next breath I saw I was still well in the pack of silver caps for the old fogies wave. The pink cap wave was full of youngsters and relays, that girl smoked the swim. I told my self to just enjoy the best swim I have ever had and let her go.

I hit the end...As I exited the water I had the biggest smile you ever saw on my face. Screaming on the way out "MY BEST EVER OWS SWIM!!!!" Yelled that all the way to transition too.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. This was the swim I have wanted for the past 2 years and finally had.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

So exited about my swim time that I lost track of where my bike was on the racks. Had to run back to the rack to find it.
Husband shouted an approximate time on my swim to me and then how far ahead Dex was.
Maybe I'm not used to having to search for my bike on a elatively full rack? It's a new experience for me :)

Count racks to remember how far up my bike is from the entrance.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.74 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a hard course but I still enjoy it.

Out from the park and up Rt 89. Almost as soon as youexit the park is the MONSTER of a hill. 7% incline slow and steep. They don't make hills like this in Richmond. UGH, climbed the beast, it wasn't easy. I have climbed this hill before,even on my roadie...I know I can take this beast. Just keep pedaling.

Past the turn around for the kids and I look at my speed...28 mph!!! HOLY SMOKES!! This is great but I know I'll blow up cause this is early on.
Few more rollers to get through then the turn around for the sprinters. Little farther on and we turn right into Sheldrake. They warned that it was a steep down hill into this neighborhood. I slowed down, didn't need to slow as much as I did but I was told steep downhill...Beautiful lakeside community. Too bad it was raining--maybe better though cause I wasn't on a sight seeing tour here. I was out to race. Turn out of Sheldrake and there's another BEAST of a hill. Holy Mother of GOD!!! Can they find any more hills for this course? Let the folks around me know that this southern girl isn't used to hills like these.

Went past the water hand off, I had plenty of water left and an aero bottle with Heed in it that I've been working on. Coughed out half a lung and kept pedaling. Hit the turn back onto 89. SWEET, we're going to go DOWN HILL now. Oh yeah, gotta manage the rollers first.

Lake effect winds are harder on the way down. That's another thing I don't have here in Richmond. Big lakes with monster hills and lake effect winds. Hunker down in aero and keep pedaling. Cat and mouse with a couple other people.

Mix in with the sprinters at their turn around. Then the youth. Sweet, speed is pretty good.

Hit the monster to go down. I would love to say I stayed aero for that downhill but in the rain I was too chicken to give it a go. Still smiling, the crowd is commenting on that as I roll into the park area. Unclipped and rode with feet on pedals the last little bit. Run into transition and still can't remember where my rack is. WTF? Did I leave my brain in the water?
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Could I please remember where I racked the bike???
Husband again gave me a total on my time now. I asked how far ahead Dex was, he shouts 20+ minutes. "CRAP!"
Since we were out of town for this race I didn't have anything to protect my transition gear. My shoes and socks are soaked. Forget socks, they won't help. Grab some gu just in case throw the hat on and run.

Count my transition rack from the entrance again!!
Run
  • 1h 07m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

.Out of tranisition a path along the lake edge near the boat launch. Over a foot bridge then under the road. Up the gorge trail. Muddy mess. One noticeable hill as you go up the trail then relatively flat.

Barely noticing the scenery. On a sunny day this is a beautiful trail to walk with all the waterfalls alongside of it. Hit the first turn around at the falls. Still barely notice them. SOme pain in my back has me going slow. Whatever, just keep moving. Grab some gatorade at the aid station and walk through that. Run again, down the trail. Have to bear left through the grass and back under the road again. It's like a slip and slide from the rain.

Lap one is done. No comments from the family about Dex's where abouts now. Haven't seen him but I know he's out there. Commented that I was hurting.

Start lap 2 and I have to walk that incline on the gorge trail. All of maybe 100 feet. Was all I needed to get the back to cooperate. When I got to the falls at the top I actually noticed them and started to smile again. Realized this is part of what makes this race so good.

Mile 4. WAHOO!!! Almost done, my run finally kicks in and even though I'm not moving that much faster I am finally passing people.

Down the grassy slope again. Under the bridge. Mile 5...YAY!!!!!

Cross that footbridge for the last time. Mile 6!!! YEAH BABY 0.2 miles left. This race is almost OVER!

Tried to really turn it on into the chute but the grass was so wet I was afraid I would face plant on the finish.

Bring my run sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Saw Dex. He beat me by about 15 minutes total. Wandered over and found some food then waited for the chiropractic students to adjust the back. Magic hands found the knots in my shoulder and neck from all my swimming practices :)

It creeped my daughter out when he cracked my neck but that's my favorite part of a chiro adjustment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hip flexors and back acting up

Event comments:

This race is probably my favorite race. It's well worth the drive up to NY to do. Ithaca tri club is well organized and runs a tight show. The course is hard but it is what it is.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:41 | 1640 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 147/191
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Straight out and back with a wade start and horn.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:29:03 | 24.85 miles | 16.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 0/191
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out from the park and up Rt 89. Brutal hill then along the lake past wineries. Turn right into Sheldrake closer to the water then up another BEAST of a climb, left back to the park.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:06 | 06.21 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 0/191
Performance: Good
Course: Through the grass, along the shore then up the gorge trail twice. 2 footbridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 5:43 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon

2009-08-03 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2325239

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon
Awesome job Judi!  Special congrats on the swim, I know how hard you have worked to overcome those demons - what a fantastic job!!!

you ROCK!

2009-08-03 8:18 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Congrats on a great race Judi!! Way to hang in there and keep a smile on your face! I do have to say that you look like you enjoyed yourself much more than Dex did!

Fantastic swim too!!!

2009-08-03 9:19 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Yippeeeee!!!  Congratulations on a great race, and especially on finishing the swim with a smile on your face knowing that you conquered that thar open water .

2009-08-03 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great job QZ.  You rocked that swim.  I was worried a little for you.  Glad we were able to race.  I'll have to get down that way next. 
2009-08-04 12:54 AM
in reply to: #2325688

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Oh wow. What an AWESOME swim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great race, and especially WAY TO GO on conquering those OWS gremlins! ('Cause they're not monsters anymore.)

2009-08-04 4:09 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job on overcoming the OWS demons!  Awesome race in some less than stellar weather!

I enjoyed meeting you and your family Friday!!! 

You are welcome to take any of the hills around here home with you, we have plenty!

2009-08-04 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Awesome job!!!

You worked hard on your swim so it is super cool to see progress finally.

"MY BEST EVER OWS SWIM!!!!

I love that you had this break through.

Having fun and improving is terrific.
2009-08-04 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Great race, Judi!  Especially that swim.  It's good to see all that hard work and determination finally pay off.  Congrats!!
2009-08-04 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Nice race report. Congrats. I am laughing thinking about how funny it would have been to sprint the finish and face plant, oh my. Awesome swim.

Good job.
2009-08-04 8:33 AM

User image

Williamsburg
Awesome job, Judi!!!! Sorry the weather was ugly, but I am so glad it stayed a tri for you! Way to go with that swim!!! Love that smile!

2009-08-04 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Fantastic job Judi! Way to kick the ows demon's a**!  I love the pic of you smiling, you should use that for your avatar.

2009-08-04 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

What a great race!  AWESOME JOB on the swim.  And Bike.  And Run!!  The smile on your face tells the whole story. 

2009-08-04 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA

CONGRATULATIONS on a great race and defeating the OWS MONSTER!!!!!!!! My hats off to you. Pics look great and your getiing really skinny!!! Can't wait to see you for the PAtriot

2009-08-04 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
WOW!!! Congrats on the fantastic swim, Judi! I can't believe how far you've come. Actually, that's not right -- I *can* believe it because you've worked your butt off for it. It's so great to see all that work pay off on an amazing swim.

Nice job with the rest of the race too. I love how smiley you are in the photos!
2009-08-04 5:03 PM

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Great job Judy

Awesome race and you had a fantastic OWS! WTG

2009-08-06 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
It was a very well done race!  Congrats on having such a great swim.
2009-08-10 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Nice race Judy!  You did an awesome job.  You always get the best weather for your swims don't you? 

After reading Dex's race report I understand the strategy of letting him have your coffee in set up.Wink
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon Rss Feed