Ironman North America
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 29m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept like a log. Got up, got dressed, and got out the door. Chris and I took the shuttle from the Clarion over to downtown Madison. And then walked to Monona Terrace.

Wandered around, saw CindyK, saw Robyn (Trixie's friend) and did my best to keep myself calm, lighthearted and collected. Hooked up with Katie (KTpitbull) and Pete (Scraps) and decided to walk over to the swim start.

There were thousands of people EVERYWHERE. It was like the TASTE OF CHICAGO. Or Friday night at the U of I bars. Just wall to wall people, and you had to turn sideways to get through. Chris and I got separated.

Thought I'd be able to find him at the MORNING GEAR CHECK, but I he wasn't there. Got stuck behind some barricades and couldn't get out. Saw Schmize and Coach Brett and Holly, and they said they hadn't seen Chris, but if they did, they would tell him to stay put.

So, I wiggled my way out from behind the barricades and went down by the water. He was no place to be found. I was getting panicked. I didn't want to start this epic long day without seeing Chris and giving him a good luck kiss. (And getting one for myself!)

I milled around down by the water, and turned around and saw Chris. I was sorta freaked out and panicky, so I immediately broke down and started sobbing. I was happy and relieved to see him. I was just so scared on some level that I had to just see his face before starting the day.

He walked me down to the swim start, we kissed, and into the water we went.
Event warmup:

Swam out a little ways, and seeded myself... someplace. I still don't know for sure where. I thought I was in a good spot, but I don't think I was.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 3s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow. This was an absolutely brutal swim. I had heard things about the Ironman swim starts... and I was afraid of getting kicked in the face. What I really should have been afraid of is getting sledgehammered from behind.

I got hit over the head several times. Clawed over, pushed down, and I took either an elbow or a foot to my right eye. Thought for sure I'd have a black eye once I took my goggles off. But I didn't.

After one particularly intense bop to the head I decided I'd had enough for a moment, so I made my way over to a kayak and hung out there for a little while. I used that opportunity to take a breather and and fix my wetsuit pull cord thingy which had come unattached and was wrapped around my arm.
What would you do differently?:

I think I inadvertently attempted to swim the buoy line. Started toward the front and right on the buoy line. For some reason I thought it looked like a straight shot and it would be a good idea. It was not.

Although, I'm not sure where else I would have wanted to start. I had a straight line, and my sighting was good. I just got repeatedly clobbered.

Interestingly enough, I swam a 1:17 on this course on 8/22 at the OWS race. I swam a 1:17 in the washing machine, too. So, whatever. I didn't expend much energy.
Transition 1
  • 11m 44s
Comments:

Running up the helix was a trip. The whole thing was lined with spectators, blowing horns, ringing cowbells, shouting, cheering, screaming! It was... awesome!

Not much. My wetsuit got stuck on me... so it took several tries for the stripper to pull it off. That took time... and then I couldn't get up easily because my knees don't bend... I required 2 volunteers to hoist me up like a crane. (!)
Bike
  • 6h 34m 28s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.04 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to go easy for 40 miles. See how I felt. And then handle myself accordingly. Made sure I got my nutrition going, as I'd practiced, and stuck meticulously to the nutrition plan. I'd read that if you felt good, you should be eating almost constantly on the bike.

And eat I did.

I had 3 bottles of Infinit
2.5 Powerbars
A bag of crushed Oreos and FigNewtons
A RedBull
A Gatorade
A couple of banana pieces... like 3 or 4 maybe?
2 bottles of water.

I felt like a million bucks. Seriously I couldn't believe how GREAT I felt, and how much easier the course felt on race day than it felt when I rode it on 8/22. I was seriously discouraged on 8/22. But I guess a little rest goes a long way.

Hooked up with CindyK fairly early. She was cruising. Also hooked up with my friend Irish Peter and our other friend Vik. Rode with them for a while.

Made lots of friends out there, chatted, had fun, was relaxed and happy. Stayed in the small chain ring for the whole deal. I was SO afraid of pushing my knee too far or causing further problems, I thought I'd just play it safe, and the SCR seemed to be working out speed wise.

On the ride back, I saw djdavey (I recognized his mohawk) sitting on the side of the road. I shouted out "Hey DJ are you OK?" and the woman (volunteer?) that was sitting with him said they'd already called for help.

Kept going... riding along without a care in the world, heading back into Madison, when I got stung by a bee! I ran into him and he struck my right arm. He immediately STUNG me (Ow!) and then the little jerk flew off, leaving his disconnected pulsating stinger in my arm! I picked it out.

I knew from previous bee stings that I don't usually swell up right away. I knew it wouldn't have much of an effect on the rest of my day, but it would eventually become an itchy, burny, and swollen problem. And it has.

Ouch!

Not much. Maybe push a little harder? I don't know. I felt awesome, so I really don't think there's much I could have done differently on this ride. Probably my favorite bike ride of the year.

If I could bottle how I felt on the bike and sell it, I'd make a fortune.
Transition 2
  • 09m 18s
Comments:

Just gave my bike to the first person who asked for it, and took off into the changing area. Running in my bike shoes.

In the change room I saw MissKelly and LisaC. They helped me, along with this other volunteer, Mia.

I forgot to take Advil.

Take some Advil.
Run
  • 7h 16m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 16m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, here we go.

I knew going into this thing that my run was undertrained. Mostly because my body and joints take FOREVER to recover from long runs. And then I broke my toe. And then my right knee started to act up... so there were a number of variables going into this "run".

If I was feeling good, I was hoping to hold 13:30/average per mile. Otherwise, I would do as well as I could for as long as I could, and then walk the rest with a purpose.

Managed to do alright through about mile 10 or 12. Was starting to get REALLY sore in the feet, in the knees, in the shins... everywhere.

Degenerated into a 50 steps of walking + 50 steps of running plan. And that worked for a while. Except I kept losing count.

Saw so many people out there... it was amazing! And awesome. My sister, my friends from HBFC, the donkeys, djdavey and crew, Trixie, my sister again, my brother in law, Kelly and Lisa. Tony Goggs. It was never ending. I felt like I knew someone everytime I turned around. It. Was. Awesome.

Me and my sister.

Greeting Lisa from HBFC. I was so excited to see them!

Saw Chris around mile 2ish at the aid station. He stopped and gave me a kiss. He was really sweaty.

Saw him again at his mile 25. He came up behind me, tapped me on the shoulder, and gave me another kiss. I smacked him on the butt and told him I'd see him in 14 miles.

There was a guy behind me who said: "Was that your husband?" I said: "Boyfriend." He said: "That was so cool!" And then I joked and said: "No, I just met that guy!" Heh. (This doesn't sound as funny now as it was on Sunday... hmmm... perhaps I'd had too much Gatorade)

Anyway, I finally decided it would probably be better for me and my body and my joints if I just kept a steady "fast walk" pace. About this time, AmyJo caught up with me... like around mile 14 or 15 or so. I was so happy to see her. We walked the rest of the way together. The sun went down. We continued to walk. We chatted a bit, laughed a lot, cried a little, and we just kept walking with a purpose.

After dark, it was like dawn of the dead out there. Darkness, and people walking with these glow necklaces around their necks. Sometimes the only thing you could see in the distance would be 4 or 5 glow rings coming your way. It was too dark to see the people they were on!

Surreal. To say the least.

Not much. It was what it was. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. I'm glad I didn't go any easier on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Came across the finish line. Immediately saw Chris, who obtained a VIP pass from Bob Stocks (THANK YOU!) so he could be behind the finish line area for me.

Then hung out with the BT gang, saw KT and Scraps. Sat on a curb. Needed 2 people to help hoist me up afterwards. Basked in the immediate post IM glow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Defective joints and lousy running skills.

What's a girl to do?

Event comments:

I know many people think these IM branded races are "rip offs"... but I have to say... I paid $550, and it was worth every single penny. The whole thing was a first class event. Well organized. Well run.

Just. Plain. Awesome.

I'll do it again. Just need to get these knees figured out.

Last updated: 2008-11-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:03 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: X Terra Sleeveless. (I hate this wetsuit!)
Course: 2x around an oval (or rectangular) course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:34:28 | 112 miles | 17.04 mile/hr
Performance: Good
My Garmin wouldn't detect my HRM. So I have no HR data.
Wind: Some
Course: A "stick" and 2 hilly loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
07:16:47 | 26.2 miles | 16m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
No HR data for this either. I actually turned my Garmin off around mile 6.
Course: I have no idea what this course was like... seemed like we went all over creation.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2410741

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
CONGRULATIONS!! You are so darn cute, I can't stand it Thanks for the great RR, I loved watching your training progress, and am so, so proud of you You are an Ironwoman!!!

2009-09-17 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

CONGRATULATIONS again Ironman!!! Your race report brought tears to my eyes...and you know what else did, the fact that I never saw you without a smile on your face...in your pics, when I saw you on the bike, it was just fantastic!

I am so very proud of you girlfriend...you, like your boy, TOTAL ROCKSTAR!!!

2009-09-17 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job!!!
2009-09-17 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Terrific race and I love reading your report!  Congrats Ironman
2009-09-17 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Great job!!  I have not met you before, but Ive seen enough pictures of you via Trixies blog to know who you are.  I saw you on State Street starting your second loop.....  LOVED the smile!!!   You really seemed to be enjoying it and that was great to see!!!   What a accomplishment, bad knees and all!
2009-09-17 2:10 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What a great race you had!! I was glad I got to see ya in T2, even if I just stood there and stared at you Embarassed. It was definitely amazing to see you train all year and then become an Ironman... awesome.

See ya there next year!

2009-09-17 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great job out there, Laura. It was my pleasure to join you for a while on the "run". I know it took a lot of guts to go into that race with the state your knees were in-- you should be very proud! Congrats, IRONMAN!
2009-09-17 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Amazing day Laura HUGE congratulations.  I'm so happy for you.  I know i have said that like 100 times but I am.  I can't believe how swollen your knees were poor thing.  I hope you feel better soon......GO GET FIXED UP WILL YA!!!

2009-09-17 2:35 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Hooraaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy Whizzzzz! Congratulations, Ironman.

LOVED the photojournalistic RR. We'd expect nothing less from the inventor of the Photo Flipper™.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
2009-09-17 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il

Seriously awesome. You have that look and glow of complete satisfaction in your post race pictures. Nice work.

2009-09-17 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Congrats, Ironwhizzzz!  I'm so happy for you.

2009-09-17 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Great race. Great Report.  Amazing to persevere with the knees and the broken toe. Nice to hang out with you and Chris a bit. Once you get the knees figures out, combined with your attitude...you'll be unstoppable!

JT

2009-09-17 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Whizzzz, great race for you on Sunday. You looked awesome all day long, even with the bee sting! You're an inspiration for me and my knees. I told Cindy that if you could do IMOO on your knees, I could do IMAZ next year on mine!
2009-09-18 12:17 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

That WAS fun, wasn't it Laura??? Worth every penny and all the long training hours too.

I'm thinking 2011.....

2009-09-18 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2413100

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Great job out there Laura. You looked so happy at the end - you were just glowing!
2009-09-18 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Way to go Whizzzz.  You are amazing!!!

2009-09-18 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN

Awesome job!!!!

2009-09-18 3:22 PM

User image

over a barrier
Great work out there...I think the last picture sums it up. No matter what the weather conditions or damage we've done to ourselves...we can all muster up a great smile when its OVER. Heal up and enjoy some down time!
2009-09-18 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Congratulations!  You look fantastic in your pictures!
2009-09-19 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Congrats Laura,

I have enjoyed following your jouney to Ironman. You have been an inspiration to me. I love it when I stop by your blog and you have a post at 0500 saying something to the effect of "I'm up up up". That has always showed me your dedication to this sport.

Your race report along with the photos really tell a nice story.

Congrats again Ironman.
2009-09-19 3:51 PM

Champion
Hahaha, I love the part about kissing Chris and then telling the stranger who he was.  You shoulda said "I have no idea!"

Excellent effort, and a super great swim even with all the battling going on.  After 3 IMs I still cannot figure out the best place to start.  I tried front, middle and back of the pack!

Honestly I don't know how you can do that and still keep smiling so much, you just have an infectious personality, and I'm sure that helps you get through the day.  You're my new hero! 

2009-09-19 9:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-20 1:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

it has been wonderful watching your journey through ironman. your dedication to your training and the range of emotions that both training and race day bring were articulated brilliantly throughout. i enjoyed following your training and your race! way to go whizzzzz...you most certainly are an IRONMAN...for the rest of your life!!!

2009-09-20 10:03 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Great Job!

Nice read, The pics were an added bonus!

2009-09-21 2:04 PM

Regular
Westchester, IL
Congrats, nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 3