United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena!
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Brushed my teeth, and got my bag into Ovettas car. We wanted to get there early, and Erik wanted to sleep in. So my bike (loaner) bike was in Eriks hands to get to the race on time. On our way to the transition area, O & I saw Stacers so we all walked in together. I got bodymarked by a 10 year old...and well, you could mostly read the numbers. I need to hottie body marker next time. Since Ovetta and I were starting in the same wave we got to rack up next to each other. We ran into luv2ride in the transition area. I got my trasition area all ready (except for the bike) and saw Joeinco. Erik walked up and the 2 of us left to get our bikes. When we got back, it was about 30 minutes to go. O and I walked over to the water and dipped our toes in. It was nice so she decided she wanted to get in a warp up swim. We headed back to transition to pick up our gear and ran into kimj81 on the way. She was going to be removing chips at the finish line! We got our gear and headed back to the beach. Ovetta swam for about 5 minutes and I took a dip also, and the great debate of if we needed the wetsuits started. Finally we decided the floatation was worth it. Wetsuits were applied, and we were ready to race.

OK. Here is the coolest thing about doing a triathlon with Ovetta. She knows EVERYONE. We talked to so many people. She was saying hi left and right. The race director was teasing her while we were in the water getting ready to start. Just AWESOME!
Swim
  • 21m 58s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

We're standing in the water, waiting for our wave to start, and this hottie, Sam, comes over to Ovetta and says "Hey I raced with you at rattlesnake". He then proceeds to introduce us to his other hottie friend Tony (who we later discovered is a fireman....sweet). We all chatted for the 5 minutes until it was time to GO!

Holy CRAP this is the worst swim I have ever done in my life. Thank the good lord above that this wasn't my first open water swim. I'm blaming it on the thin air. I could NOT catch my breath. My plan was to stay behind Ovetta as long as possible to catch a draft off of her. Yeah that went to hell in a handbasket in about 5 seconds flat. I started off just swimming away and I couldn't breathe. I couldn't get enough oxygen in my lungs. The water wasn't that could so I didn't have the problem I did in Canyon lake of putting my face in the water. It was just anytime I stuck my face in to blow out, I couldn't seem to pull in enough air on the next stroke. My arms were fine, I just couldn't breathe. I got to the point that I had to flip over onto my back so I could get some air time. It was all I could do to get from bouy to bouy. I kept telling myself this is just a little sprint. I can handle it no problem. Just keep going. A little after the 2nd bouy I thrashed into Tony (the hottie from earlier) and so I followed him for a little while. I saw him grab on to the dock thing that was our turnaround point. I decided I'd do that too, and loosen my wetsuit a little bit so maybe I could get more air in....I don't know why that made sense in my head but it did. The last ha;f was just sheer dint of will. I just kept going because I just knew I had to. I would flip over on my back when I needed a break, and try to get some back strokes in. This naturally took me way off course. FINALLY we were close enough that I could put my feet down. I walked my way in, and I walked my way to T1. I was never so glad to be done with a swim in my LIFE. It SUCKED!!
What would you do differently?:

Train more (ya'll do remembver I'm seriously undertrained right now), and I don't know what else. I really think it was the thin air up here.
Transition 1
  • 04m 42s
Comments:

Cathy was cheering me on as I strolled into T1. Getting out of the suit was the normal stinker, but not too bad. I was very glad I had water to wash my feet off with...there was sand in the toes I wasn't really looking forward to carrying into my socks!
Bike
  • 1h 00m 35s
  • 17 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was AWESOME. Cathy has a sweet little bike. It was hard to get into the groove, but once I found it, I was a happy camper. Cathy had driven me on the bike course the day before so I knew where all the hidden demons were, even better I knew when I needed to use the downhills to their biggest advantage.

I got out on to the road and took the first couple of miles to get my legs under me. The road surface on the first road was a little bit rough, so it felt like I was flying when I got on to the second road and it was smoother. I passed a couple of people with bike problems, and then I saw Ovetta standing still in front of me helping another biker out. As I rode past her and said hi, I realized she was helping out Joe. I waved to them as I rode past, and kept on going. Cathys computer was on the cadance setting, so I decided to leave it there just to see what my cadance is. Well apparently its usually around 60...I'll have to work on that! About 1/2 way through the course was the worst hill. But luckily it has a nice downhill right before it. I turned on the heat to get down the hill. I wanted EVERY little scrap of momentum I could gather for getting me up the tough hill. It was AWESOME. I was spinning my little legs off. and I just went right up the tough part of the hill. There was still more left, but at least the grade wasn't bad anymore. The next big thing was a screaming downhill that included some sharp turns. Since it was my first time riding the hill, I made sure I was slowed down enough to control the turns. I would love to do that again and see just how hard I can push those curves. At the end of the screaming down hill was another hill, but I just motored right on up that baby keeping all the momentum I could.

Here was the best part of the ride. Did I mention we were in Boulder Colorado. Did I mentio we had the flatirons to our west, and the Rockies peaking over them every once in a while. Have I mentioned it was a GORGEOUS sunny day with no humidity. This part of the race was in the country...there was flat green pasture, good roads, mountains to gawk at, and bodies of water to pass. It made me so happy to biking. Ahhhhh...I need to bike more.

OK, back to the race. For the first time in a tri, I actually passed a NUMBER of people. I think Cathys bike just like to pass people....so I let her have her head. We were coming to the final stretch. I had to turn back onto the road with the bad surface, and I knew there was a daunting hill right before the end. Again I was given a small downhill, which I threw the bike into the hardest gear, and just sucked the momentum in to me. There was a girl on a pink bike ahead of me starting up the hill, but she was going SLOW, I knew I could go faster than that. I dropped the gears and just crammed my way to the top. I passed her and dropped her with no second thoughts. At the top was a photographer, so I'm hoping that turns in to a great picture. It felt like a great moment. The final turn into the park was just ahead. I was almost there. I was very concerned about unclipping since I was in new shoes, and unflamiliar clips, so I took it really easy getting off the bike.

Spend more time out there. I loved that ride. Loved it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Just your basic average, slow T2
Run
  • 42m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

OK...here is where I wussed out. We all know that the run is my nemesis, and gah I hate it. The run started off with a steepish uphill, and I didn't quite make it to the top before I did some walking. Then we had to run across the dam. I didn't realize it till I was on my way back, but it had a slight uphill rise the whole way along. I just didn't gut through it. I did a walk/run combination. I really think here it was my mental game as opposed to the thin air. I got myself into a rythm of running to a pole, then walking to the next. The aid station was located at the 1st mile, and silly me, I had thought this whole time, that was the turn around. UGH! Another 1/2 mile to go before I could turn around. I continued my walk/run pattern until just before the turn around. I started running and then once I turned around I saw Ovetta. Well I couldn't let her see me walking, so I managed to run about .4 miles. Then I took a little .1 mile walk break. Then at the aid station I saw that the dam run was downhill from there. So I promised myself I would runt he whole dam...and I did. I wanted to welsh on myself, but I sucked it up and got it done. I walked a little bit more becasue it was icky uphill again, and then turned it back on for the downhill to the finish line. Cathy, Erik & Tara were there cheering me on as I rounded the final corner. As usualy I had gas left in the tank (I know I know, that means I didn't need to be walking! sheesh) so I lit the last 100 feet up and ran straight to Kim where I got give her a sweaty hug. WooHoo

Not be a puss and run
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Cathy & Erik and waited for Ovetta to come through the shoot. The 4 of us wandered around and got food. Right after we got out of the food line we ran in to the hotties again. NICE! We talked to them for a few minutes, then headed over to the beer tent. About that time Alpine87 (?) walked up, so I got to meet Brett. The awards were starting, so we hung out to listen. I'm looking up and who got hardware in the Clydes division, and it was Sam, one of the hotties. Ovetta & I wound up talking to them for awhile longer, and found out Tony comes out to Fort Worth occassionaly to visit friends. NICE! We told them to sign up on BT, so hopefully they'll be online soon.

Poor Tara had been out in the heat and the boredom all day, so it was time to pack it up. Said goodbye to the boys, then rolled on out of Boulder

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training
Thin air
Being a puss

Event comments:

Thanks Cathy & Erik!!

Last updated: 2005-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:58 | 880 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full suit
Course: My first clockwise swim, in a big triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:35 | 17 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: A bunch of right turns, a few hills, but nothing worse than TST
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:48 | 03.1 miles | 13m 49s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back over the dam. Uphill on the way out. Sweet Sweet downhill on the way in.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-19 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: 5430 Sprint

2005-06-19 6:13 PM
in reply to: #178208

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint
Great Race Kristin...esp since you really haven't trained all that much recently....Hope you are getting some wel deserved R&R too.  Take care and safe travles home -SMO
2005-06-19 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Way to go K!!  Glad you guys had a blast and that you got to meet a couple of hotties!
2005-06-19 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Way to stick with it!  And congrats on meeting some hotties...did we get digits?
2005-06-19 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Nice race report. It was a fun race. I met you while you and O were in the food line...I was with my wife and we chatted for a second.
2005-06-19 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Way to go K!!   Sounds like the bike course was a beautiful ride!!

2005-06-19 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Great race and race report!

Jason
2005-06-19 10:47 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice race K!  You did great!   Cool that there were some side "highlights" for you!
2005-06-20 12:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas

hey K!  nice race!!  now imagine the ass you'll kick when you're training more consistently!!

enough about the race, though...tell us more about the firemen!!

2005-06-20 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Congratulations on a great race and sticking out the swim even though it was tough. 

TJ

2005-06-20 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Great job Kristin! It was great to see you there yesterday - I have utmost respect for any flatlanders who come to Colorado and race at altitude.

2005-06-20 9:19 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race!  Glad to see that you came out to Colorado from the low lands.  Altitiude can be tough!  Way to hang in there!
2005-06-20 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Great race Kristin!!!! After living in TX, I'm totally impressed by anyone that can come from that altitude and race here - you rocked!  Maybe I should borrow Cathy's bike for my next tri

It was great to meet you this weekend!  I'm bummed that I didn't get to stick around and chat with everyone after the race - I saw you and Ovetta finish, but couldn't find y'all in the crowd before we had to leave

2005-06-20 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Damn, Kristen, you are so f-ing HOSS! Way to go! Thanks for the really nasty hug at the finish. I guess I'd already been dripped on by every other competitor in the race....

I forgot to tell you guys, but while you were hanging out with the 'hotties', I got hit on by a midget while I was checking bike numbers at the transition exit. That's indicator #452 that you've really let yourself go since getting into a long-term relationship! LOL! Nice race

2005-06-20 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Very cool that you were able to make the trip up here for a race!  Hope the scenery measured up to the eye candy   Either way, sounds like you had fun!  Come back and race with us again!

You can stay here anytime (with Cathy and Erik) ! LOL

2005-06-20 2:34 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Great race Kristin!  Your race reports are always so entertaining to read.  Now go and enjoy some rest & relaxation!

2005-06-20 3:39 PM

User image

Kristin,  I was thinking aoubt you and hoping you were having fun times with the BT-CO crowd, glad to hear about all the folks you saw (and the hotties) and the good times you had.  You have to be so totally tuff--training here and there when you can steal time for yourself and then racing at altitude! Thanks for the great description of the scenery!

2005-06-20 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
You're race reports always make me smile kristen!! Your stories of friends and (BT) family, thrills and challenges all rolled into a positve day of adventure!!

Nice to see you doing tri's!!! LOL....hey, ya gotta watch out for those firemen!!
2005-06-21 11:48 AM

Champion
Good race there Cupcake! Makes me wish I coulda been there, doing it too....so I coulda yelled at you to STOP WALKING, YOU WEENIE! LOL. Hope you're still coming for the Dingleberry Special!
2005-06-21 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Way to go Kristen!  You were racing and having fun!  It doesn't get too much better than that, except to do it all with friends! 

I'm so glad to see you had a great time.  Wish me luck as I try to keep up with a bit of the fromer fitness fest crowd this weekend! 

2005-06-21 10:09 PM

User image

Boulder, CO
Hey Girl - Way to go, your race report sounded so lively, I can tell this was a joyous occasion. I can relate to the shortness of breath. I too suffered from this malady last August when I did the Muddy Buddy in Boulder. My friends accused me of leaving heavy breathing messages on their answering machines , it's the altitude baby, I am a flatlander.

I also liked your description of your final dash --- lighting it up. Good for you for showing up and doing it and great that you got to hang with some awesome bters!

2005-06-21 10:25 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
great race K, no matter what you say 
2005-06-23 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis
Atta girl, Chicky. If girls could be studs, you'd be one!  Well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Rss Feed