General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Shirts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-06 1:52 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Race Shirts

The race marking thread got me thinking about this so started a new thread.  Maybe the other T-shirt thread as well. 

Do you wear your race shirts?  For what occasion?  General wear or training?

I realized I have so many that are in my rotation (top of the drawer) that I just grab a shirt and go out.  But more times than not, it's a race/IM shirt.  I don't think on second about what it says.  It's just a clean shirt that's color coordinated with my shorts.

But now I wonder if it seems like I'm a tool for looking like I'm showing off IM's and marathons all the time.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter what people think THAT much.

2013-08-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Subject: RE: Race Shirts
I have a draw of t-shirts and its grab/go...most of my shorts are black/navy, so I really don't have to worry about color coordinating them normally its either a race t-shirt or one from my college
2013-08-06 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I'm with you. I just grab the next shirt in the rotation and don't give it a whole lot of thought.

I was, however, "that guy" this past weekend when I wore my IM Switzerland finisher shirt to my kids' tri. Other parents had on IM gear but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't self conscious about it.
2013-08-06 1:59 PM

User image

Before I got into racing I used to buy tech shirts for casual wear.  Now I don't need to buy them anymore and just use my race shirts that are tech fabric.  The cotton race shirts that I get go to the back of the closet.

It's not so much that I want to show anything off rather than it's a useful shirt for me and how I prefer to dress.  One of my favorite shirts is from a marathon where I bonked and almost DNF'd.  It was the worst race of my life and every time I wear it I hope nobody asks about the race.  But it's in a nice color and fits well.  And from my experience, nobody really gives a crap about my race shirt and rarely does anyone ask about it.  Mostly my training friends that already knew what happened to me during that race and rib me about it.  But as far as non training friends...maybe 1 or 2 comments about it in 3 years.

Wear what you want...most people couldn't care less as long as you don't stink.

2013-08-06 2:05 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by Jason N

• Wear what you want...most people couldn't care less as long as you don't stink.

• This
    2013-08-06 2:07 PM
    in reply to: Jason N

User image

Sensei
    Sin City

I think I had a rash of responses/questions to my IMAZ shirt which got me self conscious.  I just put it on to go to the pool party then it opened up a conversation.  But I wasn't trying to start a conversation with it, just avoid sunburn. 

Maybe the difference is wearing it and letting someone bring it up and wearing it AND bringing it up yourself.  I have no desire to talk about my "hobby/passtime", but I won't shy from questions.

I try not to be a showoff, but if you ask, I'll answer.

2013-08-06 2:17 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

I wear race shirts exclusively for training. But I'm kind of a girly girl, and like to look what I consider "nice" when doing things in public or with other people. I don't consider race shirts part of my "nice" wardrobe, so they're for training only.

I don't think twice when other people wear them though, for any occasion... whatever floats your boat!

2013-08-06 2:27 PM
    in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
    Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I wear my race shirts quite often.  As one of the people who lost lots of weight getting into triathlons / running / cycling events I am happy to have them.  It helped me save a bunch of money buying new clothes (well shirts anyways).  I bet probably 3/4 of my t-shirts are race shirts of some sort.  When winter comes though I switch to sweaters / "nicer wardrobe".

I have the luck of working on a college campus.  I can wear pretty much anything, except when I have meetings with clients, or deans.  Even then sometimes it does not matter.

2013-08-06 2:32 PM

User image

Master
    Livonia, MI

Pretty much every race shirt I own I swim in, even the smalls.  So they're pajamas.  They look like I'm wearing something that doesn't fit me and are not the least bit functional for working out.  I prefer something fitted for workouts.

The exceptions are two shirts from races that offered a specific women's cut shirt (also know as a babydoll shirt) for the women.  Those two fit really nicely like a T-shirt I would buy for myself to go with jeans, shorts, workout pants, etc. so I wear them when I'm very casually dressed.

It doesn't occur to me that anyone cares what it says on my shirt and I don't recall a time anyone asked me about the race because I was wearing a race shirt.

2013-08-06 2:36 PM
    in reply to: Justin86

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL

I'm getting overwhelmed with race shirts.  I purged all of my non-tech shirts a year or so ago, but still have so many tech shirts that my wife is starting to politely complain about it.

I've separated them into favorites that I like to run in, and others for around the house and casual wear. 

I've also got a few that I'll never wear again (for various reasons) that will likely be headed to Goodwill or the Salvation Army in the near future.

Mark 

2013-08-06 2:36 PM
    in reply to: Justin86

User image

Extreme Veteran
    I wear my tech shirts whenever I work out. Just grab and go. I have a few cotton shirts that I wear out of the house and several that were turned into mowing/painting shirts. My wife has told me not to wear tech shirts when I'm not working out. I wish more races would have more non-white cotton shirts. The crazier/funnier the better.

2013-08-06 2:37 PM
    in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
    Had to read your post twice..I was like why is she swimming in them-DOH! LOL
    2013-08-06 2:39 PM
    in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Sensei
    Sin City

Note to RD's.  Tech shirts.

I purged a lot of old cotton ones as well.

2013-08-06 2:39 PM
    in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Master
    Livonia, MI

Originally posted by franktheguard Had to read your post twice..I was like why is she swimming in them-DOH! LOL

OHH.......I reread my post and can see how what I said could be confusing. Laughing No, I'm not literally swimming in them, just figuratively! 

2013-08-06 2:42 PM
    in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
    Burbs
    Originally posted by lisac957

I wear race shirts exclusively for training. But I'm kind of a girly girl, and like to look what I consider "nice" when doing things in public or with other people. I don't consider race shirts part of my "nice" wardrobe, so they're for training only.

I don't think twice when other people wear them though, for any occasion... whatever floats your boat!

This. I only wear race shirts to training/ hanging around the house.

2013-08-06 2:44 PM
    in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

one of my friends collected all various t-shirts that her hubby had from races/college etc and had them made into a memory quilt - maybe that could be done for those are us that are starting to accrue quite a collection of them - especially cotton ones

2013-08-06 2:44 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
    Goodwill for 90% of them....the others just for workouts.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-06 2:45 PM
    2013-08-06 2:50 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have an idea of grandeur that I will make a quilt, or 2, or 3 out of all of my cotton race shirts. Of course I have no idea how to sew, but how hard can it be?

Edited by crissy_jo 2013-08-06 2:50 PM
    2013-08-06 3:00 PM

User image

Master
    Washington, DC Metro
    Originally posted by Kido

The race marking thread got me thinking about this so started a new thread.  Maybe the other T-shirt thread as well. 

Do you wear your race shirts?  For what occasion?  General wear or training?

I realized I have so many that are in my rotation (top of the drawer) that I just grab a shirt and go out.  But more times than not, it's a race/IM shirt.  I don't think on second about what it says.  It's just a clean shirt that's color coordinated with my shorts.

But now I wonder if it seems like I'm a tool for looking like I'm showing off IM's and marathons all the time.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter what people think THAT much.

Waaaay too much effort for me! Wink  

I only wear mine while running or on the trainer.  Although I do have a couple that are already stained/ripped/whatever that I keep around to work outside when its hot.

As Amy said, though, I find that most of my shirts are ginormous.  You'd think that a size small shirt from a marathon or triathlon wouldn't be sized to fit someone 5'10" and 185 lbs.  Honestly I'd say that I end up keeping 2 out of every 5 I get because they are simply too big.

Edited by Sous 2013-08-06 3:02 PM
    2013-08-06 3:32 PM

User image

Typically give them away or go to the purple heart collection. I have a couple that I like that I kept and will wear. I rarely notice them when other people wear them except for "that guy" so says Jeremy Piven, which makes me laugh to myself. You may need to watch PCU to get the reference.

Edited by MLPFS 2013-08-06 3:40 PM
    2013-08-06 3:38 PM
    in reply to: Sous

Extreme Veteran
    I wear my race shirts often and usually grab whatever is clean.

However a few weeks ago my wife and I went to Nashville with our neighbors. One of the days I wore my Ironman Louisville shirt and my neighbor comes down wearing a Nike shirt that says Running Sucks! across the chest. We all got a good laugh and he had a lot of people tell him they liked his shirt.

2013-08-06 3:40 PM

User image

No one notices your race shirts - or if they do the last thing they want to sit through is your race story when they comment on it. I wear mine (mostly running events) whenever the occasion calls for a T-shirt. Or I don't - whatever's on top of the drawer.

2013-08-06 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Detroit, Michigan
    Don't feel self-conscious, a quality tech tee is a quality tech tee, if it has a race logo on it or not. I'll use tech tees or other swag to strike up conversation -- "Oh, I did that race too! Are you doing it again this year?" If I'm not actually running at the time, of course. =) Maybe worry if you're preening, constantly calling attention to your shirt ("Oh no, did I get daquiri on my IRONMAN shirt?"), taking it off and putting in on over and over, etc.

I'm like most of the pack: Cotton T's for casual wear if they're nicer, pajamas or gardening shirts otherwise.
    2013-08-06 3:56 PM
    in reply to: DLR1

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I have a pretty side selection of race shirt types.  While most races now give the standard tech T some are getting a little more creative and I've got some great long sleeve techs for those Fall runs.  I've also received a few polo type shirts, singlets, and even a pair of shorts.

I keep about a dozen of my favorite shirts in the drawer and the rest go to storage.  I have several garbage bags full of old T's in the basement.  It is kind of fun to go back and see some of really old ones from the 70's and 80's.

2013-08-06 4:07 PM
    in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Veteran
    Originally posted by crissy_jo

I have an idea of grandeur that I will make a quilt, or 2, or 3 out of all of my cotton race shirts. Of course I have no idea how to sew, but how hard can it be?

I am in the process of doing this with some of my old cotton ones. I also don't really know how to sew! I have a friend who is a quilter who is guiding me through this project. So far, I've ironed on the backing, cut out the squares, and bought the fabric for the sashing/border. That's all I know how to do until my next lesson!

As for the tech shirts, I wear most of them in training. A few of the nicer ones I've worn when dressed casually and like someone else said, there are a few that are ridiculously large so I sleep in those.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Shirts Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Oldest Race Shirt

Started by davealt
    Views: 1056 Posts: 8

2007-12-02 12:35 PM CNIDog

Custom Race Shirts

Started by papson14
    Views: 1625 Posts: 9

2007-11-05 7:08 PM HelenS

Race shirt = fraud? Pages: 1 2

Started by Vaiza
    Views: 2392 Posts: 32

2007-07-05 8:52 PM Vaiza

Custom Running/Racing Shirt?

Started by MomX3
    Views: 864 Posts: 10

2005-07-07 4:25 PM desertsix

Race Shirts

Started by MUL98
    Views: 1169 Posts: 20

2004-09-14 9:45 AM Whizzer
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 28, 2012
    author : EnduRight
    comments : 0
    Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : July 2, 2006
    author : susietri
    comments : 6
    Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : BobbyMcgee
    When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
    author : tomp
    comments : 1
    Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
    date : April 24, 2005
    author : mikericci
    If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
    author : Daniel Clout
    My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
    date : September 4, 2004
    author : Daniel Clout
    There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
    author : Michael
    comments : 1
    Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!