5430 Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m
Overall Rank = 569/1422
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/144
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, ate breakfast, drank coffee (very much needed at that time of morning), got dressed, loaded the car, and was on the road by 4am. Got to Boulder Reservoir at a few minutes before 5am. There was already a line forming to get into transition, but the body marking volunteers weren't there yet, so we had to wait a little while. Triathletes crack me up - I love to see so many anal-retentive people all in one place before the crack of dawn, chomping at the bit to get the best transition spot possible. Set up my transition spot close to Julia, Shannon and Jen.
Event warmup:

Did a warmup jog with Julia and a short warmup swim with Shannon. The water was warm. Lined up at the front of the swim wave and over to the right (too far right, as I would later find).
Swim
  • 28m 13s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was probably one of the most competitive swim starts I've ever been in. I just couldn't seem to get around people and there were multiple groups of people swimming 4 or 5 abreast and I was stuck behind them forever. I started too far to the right for my taste, so it took me some time to get over and feel like I was on a decent line. The sun was right in my eyes, and despite my dark-tinted goggles, I couldn't see the bouys to save my life. I was just going on faith by following people and knowing that I can swim in a straight line. This swim seemed like it took forEVER. I could have sworn that it felt more like an IM distance swim! I never felt like I got any clean water in front of me - I was always behind or next to other swimmers. When we started catching people from the prior wave, things got a little interesting. I remember thinking that we were "picking through the shrapnel of the previous wave." As I rounded the last buoy for the last leg to the shore, I started kicking harder to get the blood flowing in my legs again. WHen I got out of the water, I looked at my watch and it had stopped 5 seconds into the swim. Yeah, that's helpful. As I was running up the ramp, my friend Andrea was right next to me. We always have identical swim times, so I asked her what her watch said and it was 27:30. The rest of the time was the run to the top of the hill, through the kiddie pools to wash off our feet, and into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. This was an average swim for me. Not great, not horrid. On a positive note, I took 1:13 off of my time from last year.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

The transition spot for my wave was WAY far away from the swim entrance and bike exit, so most of the time was spent running. I had the 13th fastest T-1 time, and all the times were pretty high, even for the top 3. My timing chip strap looked a little strange when I looked at it, so I took a couple of seconds to fix it. I felt a little disorganized in this transition for some reason.

Not sure. I've had better T-1s that's for sure.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 11s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode pretty conservatively for the first part of the course that's all uphill, trying to keep my HR under control before the big climb up Old Stage, but I still managed to pass just about everyone. A few super-fast guys passed me. At the bottom of Old Stage, I still had about 3 gears left, so I knew I'd be ok. I had done this hill last weekend with a 23 cassette and it was tough. I put on a 27 cassette and the hill was much more pleasant. Not easy by any means, but easiER than with a 23. Shannon's husband, Ocky was at the top of the hill with other spectators cheering everyone one. He was yelling my name and telling me to go faster, so everyone else started yelling my name. It was very motivating - it was a little taste of what the riders in the Tour must feel like. I didn't mind the speed limit of 35mph on the back side of Old Stage. It was over very quickly. But one of the motorcycle patrol people was driving REALLY slow toward the bottom before we turned onto Lefthand Canyon. Another girl and I had to scream at him to go faster. That was annoying. The rest of the ride went well enough. I did the best I could to take in gels and gatorade and water on the bike.

I took 3:47 off my bike time from last year. Of course, this year I didn't see the crumpled body of a racer under a car either, so I rode a lot better without the trauma of thinking I saw a dead body.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

As I approached the dismount line and went to swing my leg over the bike to do my running dismount, my knee got caught on my X-Lab water bottle holder behind my seat. While that has happened in practice, it has never happened in a race. I was too close to the line to try again, so I had to completely stop my bike and dismount. I took a few seconds to put on socks for the run. I am glad I did because my feet were wet the entire run from constantly pouring water over my head a la Floyd Landis. I'm sure I would have nasty blisters if I hadn't worn socks. My blisters tend to get nasty and infected, and since my next race is a half IM distance, I really need to be able to run over the next few weeks.

Lift my leg higher to clear my bottle holder. Duh. But hey, I completely dropped my bike running into transition last year, so it went a LITTLE bit better this time.
Run
  • 57m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where my race went to crap, as usual. I went from around top 20 on the swim and bike to barely 50th percentile on the run. Frustrating. The run started out ok, with my first mile around 8:36 but I had major stomach cramps for the first 2 miles. I burped a few times and felt a little better. At mile 4, I felt myself really slow down. Last year, I had to stop and walk (and use the porta-porty too--yeesh), so I was deathly afraid of having that happen again. It didn't happen, but I definitely didn't feel great.

My run has gotten better, but it's still my weakness. I feel like I still have so much work to do on my run. I took 7:07 off of last year's time, so that's a definite improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

I actually had an asthma attack after I crossed the finish line (maybe it was the shock from the cold towel the finish line volunteers put over my shoulders!!). Pretty minor, but I haven't had exercise-induced asthma since high school. Let's hope that's not a new trend! Walked around, drank water and gatorade and went to find Shannon in the medical tent. She had fallen on the bike course, was covered in road rash, her poor butt was hanging out of her ripped shorts, and her arm was in a splint with a probably broken wrist (x-rays later confirmed a wrist fracture). I felt so bad for her. No matter how I felt about MY race, hers was worse, that's for sure. Then I just hung out with BT people, ate Chipotle, bagels and Nutella, watermelon, a banana, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run. Period.

Overall, I took 12 minutes off of last year's race time. Even though I'm not overly enthusiastic about my results, I am happy with that significant improvement.

Event comments:

5430 Sports puts on a great event. From the sky divers, hot air balloons, and dove release before the swim to the great volunteers on the course, to the post-race food and activities, everything is first class.

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:13 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/144
Overall: 351/1422
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Promotion
Course: Inverted U-shaped course directly into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:11 | 26.1 miles | 19.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/144
Overall: 567/1422
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Uphill for first 8 miles, including the fun little jaunt over Old Stage road that gains 600 feet of elevation in 3/4th of a mile. Then fast downhill, fast flats and rollers.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:46 | 06.21 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/144
Overall: 876/1422
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on the dam, dirt roads and trails in Boulder rez.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2006-07-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: #491176

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon

I remember thinking that we were "picking through the shrapnel of the previous wave."

I quote the above because I think it's a cool sentence!

You think you started too far to the left?  Huh.  I always like starting on the outside so that I know I'll space to pass! 

You dropped a good amount to time!  Remember that...  since you say running has always been your achilles heal, it stands to reason that you would gradually get better.  Isn't this year the first year you started focusing on running?  I think your running will improve exponentially next season as your running base increases.  I did for me anyway!

2006-07-24 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Good solid race!  You looked strong and comfortable on the run when I saw you, for what it's worth.  And really, can you expect to take off more than 1 minute/mile in the course of one year?
2006-07-24 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

First, thanks for pulling me along from mile 3-4!

Second, nice race! Taking off 12 minutes overall, with half of it coming off in your weakest event is pretty impressive. Over a minute per mile is more than a minor accomplishment, even if your pace was slowing at the end.

Third, probably a good idea with the socks. I have blisters on my two little toes. They hurt!

2006-07-24 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Denver
7 minutes off your run is huge, great job. Scary to think how fast you'll be if you keep working at it.
2006-07-24 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Great race....sorry about the run. Dont beat yourself up too bad. You kicked butt on the swim and bike. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

2006-07-24 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
We're definately in the same boat on the run. Maybe next year we can take off another minute per mile and then the next year we'll be contenders. It could happen!
2006-07-24 2:17 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

hey, i think that you have great potential to being faster than you think imagineable. you are already an amazing athlete, and also - IMHO, you already are SUPER strong in the toughest two sports. to be able to ride that fast takes time and an engine. to swim that quickly takes time and technique. so with running, with some more speed training (?) you can DEFINITELY get faster - you already have!!

you had an AWESOME race - and i think you rock! 

2006-07-24 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Nice job Stacie!  Your run is coming along, but I think you had a mental block with this particular race from last year too.  I bet you are able to pull off 8 min miles soon!  The big thing is you did look comfortable and honestly, you rocked every part of the race compared to last year.  Way to GO!!!!  I second Ryan - I almost wish I would have worn socks.  Not only did I have the bloody mess on my heel, but I also have matching blisters on my insteps!! 

Congrats

2006-07-24 2:28 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
I think you kicked butt!  Enough said!
2006-07-24 3:04 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Running may be your weakest event, but it's shown the most significant improvement! You are freakin' fast, woman!

2006-07-24 10:36 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Holy cow...I agree!  One of the most competitive swim starts I've seen too!

GREAT race!

You Colorado peeps are all faster than me!  I need to start hanging out with you guys!

2006-07-25 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Great race, Stacie!
You did much better on the run than last year - that's great. Maybe this winter you should just focus on running for a couple months. I am sure with such great bike times, you can do way faster on ther run
The swim is the same for me as the run for you! I hear your pain! Except that since the swim is first, I never get to be in the top 3rd and just stay in the 50th percentile right from the gun
2006-07-26 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Aloha, great job back there on the Boulder Tri.  Looks like there were lot's of BT folks that enjoyed this race!!
2006-07-28 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

YEEEEOOOOWWWZZZAAAA sister! You definitely rock. Your bike time was great... with hills! I'm thrilled with a 19 mph average on a FLAT course. You put me to shame!

My run is the weakest of the 3 events too... however it does not seem to be improving the way YOURS is!

I think you did great. And Quentin and Molly agree. (my cats!)

Go get 'em @ your HALF! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Can't wait to read about THAT!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed