General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake in the Hills Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake In The Hills, Illinois
United States
Lake in the Hills Parks & Recreation Dept.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 25s
Overall Rank = 149/339
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/26
Pre-race routine:

Okay... things were all peachy-keen and fine and happy with training for IMChoo, which meant I spent Saturday on the Lakefront Trail for 3.5 hours playing "Dodge the Idiots" (which is NOT really that fun a game, though so far no one has died... yay!), and when I got home I went to put my bike up on the bike stand so that I could change out the wheels for my awesome FLO ones when...

TWAANNNNNNNNNG! And... there goes my back.

With one final monumental hoist I was able to get the bike onto the rack before falling onto the floor with a stream of profanities coming from my mouth - enough to send the cats diving for cover under the bed - followed by some solid whimpering.

I don't know how long I laid there before thinking I could get up, but I eventually hefted myself off the floor and into the bathroom where I promptly took 4 Aleve and then headed back out to do battle with the wheels. Thankfully they were really easy to put on, and then I pretty much did nothing but more whimpering until Tony came home and we loaded everything into the ZipCar to head out to the hotel.

More Aleve and early to bed hoping that things would feel a whole heckuva lot better the next day... but alas, it was not to be. Oh well, more Aleve and load everything back into the car for the trip over to the Costco parking lot for packet pick up, see the WhizzzDumps, and ride over to T2 to get that set up - just shoes & visor so easy peasy other than constantly thinking that I was forgetting something... Oh yeah. A race belt. Pewp! Means that I have to safety pin the number to my Betty kit. Pout.
Ride over to T1 and set that up beside an incredibly rude woman who showed up after me and told me that I had to turn my bike around because I wasn't leaving enough space for her... um... yeah, how about you turn YOUR bike around if you don't think you've got enough space?? Eventually after much huffing and puffing and telling me that she wasn't responsible for anything that happened to my stuff, she set-up. I just rolled my eyes at her as I next contemplated getting into my wetsuit which I haven't even attempted to put on in 8 months.

This should be both interesting, and it's own workout/warm-up. No is more surprised than I am that I can actually get the darn thing on! It feels like victory already, and it's only 6:15am! I wander down towards the water where I happen to run into BTs very own (and very speedy) Ben where we chit chat for a few minutes before I decide to get into the water and splash around for a bit. I'm now on the fence as to whether I need my wetsuit at all or not, but it's too late now as the elite wave goes off and we all start herding ourselves into a line for the start... a final good luck kiss with Tony, and we're off!
Event warmup:

See above...
Or if you want the short version: ride to T2, then ride to T1, struggle to get into wetsuit, splash around in water, wait. :)
Swim
  • 16m 32s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ow, ow, ow, ow, OW!

As soon as I ran into the water, dove under and came up for my first stroke I knew I was in trouble. It HURT. Pulling with my right arm hurt, as did rotating to be able breathe, which meant that I drank a LOT of water. Actually, I drank so much water that I was fully hydrated for when I got onto the bike. So... I guess that could be a plus?

I felt kind of okay to the first buoy and the pain was mostly manageable, but it was getting worse as I kept going. I couldn't get into a rhythm, and my breathing was all fubarred (fubared? fubar'd?) because I couldn't rotate. I still felt like I was able to pass some people, but let's just say it wasn't the swim I was hoping to have, nor was it the swim I'm capable of having.

I also hate full-sleeved wetsuits.
What would you do differently?:

Not hurt my back the day before a race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

As quick as I could be without throwing up.

Not much, I took my wetsuit off in the water because I know I'm pretty quick with that and ran up to T1. Tried to dry my feet a tad which is pretty much pointless. Threw on my socks, shoes, helmet, sunglasses & I was outta there!
Bike
  • 49m 40s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I usually LOVE being on my bike! It's my favourite part of the whole race, but unfortunately because of my STOOPID back, it was kind of miserable. Or at least aero was a miserable place to be, and then add in the nasty, gusting wind, and it wasn't the most enjoyable bike ride I've ever had.

However... I had a GREAT time talking to people on the bike! Anyone I was able to pass I said hello to and either offered encouragement, or said something else that hopefully made them smile... and for the many that passed me, I pretty much told them all that they should slow down because they were making me look bad! :)

I thanked all the cops, all the volunteers, said hello to everyone that was standing by the side of the road cheering. It was a really great experience, and one of the reasons why this race is one of my favourites every year.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my ride - I only had one person from my age group catch me, I got to see Tony out on the course, and even with a nasty-azz wind, a STOOPID back and a fairly hilly course... I averaged almost 19mph!!! Yay me!

Not hurt my back the day before a race
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Geez, what the heck even took me this long?? All I had to do was switch shoes, switch hats, rack my bike and gooooooooo.

Nada other than remember I was already wearing my sunglasses and therefore didn't have to look for them... they were already on my face.
Run
  • 36m 22s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy SH!T!!! Do you SEE that?? The fact that I averaged just over 9 minute miles?? Where the heck did THAT come from??

I'm just not going to question it... unless someone comes back and tells me that my chip malfunctioned - this is the time I'm going with! YAY ME!!!

I couldn't feel my left foot for a lot of it, but I figured if I just kept moving forward, I'd be fine... right? Anyways, there are a LOT of speedy runners out there, and I'm NOT one of them. And I'm fine with that! I had a lovely conversation between gasping for breath with a guy that was doing his first tri ever, and then I eventually passed him with some words of encouragement. I had a guy run by me congratulating me on making Team Betty - WOOT!, and I was able to just keep going, which was HUGE for me as I normally kind of mentally shut down and not care about the rest of the race once I get out onto the run. This was a big change, and in a really good way!

I stopped at each of the 3 water stations on the course to have some water, and it kills me to think of how much time I spent doing that as my pace *may* have even started with an EIGHT if I hadn't stopped... SUPER CRAZINESS!!! :)

Not a gosh darned thing... other than not hurt my back the day before. I wonder if a 3 foot tall bottle of wine would have helped??? ;)
Post race
Warm down:

I felt pretty good after the race and stood around with the WhizzzDumps chatting, waiting for Tony... more chatting with them and Ben... and waiting for Tony... more chatting... seriously, where the h3ll is the guy???

FINALLY he crossed the finish line and I find out that he flatted about 2 miles from T2 and it took him about 10 minutes to change out the rear tube. Though apparently he was certain that he had flatted on "a great big cactus leaf". Um... what? "yeah, a cactus leaf! it was big and green and spiny". Of course, a cactus leaf. Because everyone knows about the indigenous Illinois cactus which flourishes in the mid-west.

Or, maybe it was the husk of an unripe chestnut that I saw on the ground about 2 miles from T2? Maybe??

Anyways, I had some grapes, told Tony that he was just being silly, and we eventually packed up and drove off, but not before forgetting our wetsuits, having to drive back to the park, find them, and then drive off again. Ooops!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hurty back and the fact that I'm just not all that speedy.

Event comments:

LOVE this race!!

Last updated: 2014-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:32 | 880 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/26
Overall: 0/339
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Full Sleeve
Course: triangle-ish
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:40 | 15.5 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/26
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Puh-leeze. Like I have any idea of where I am at any given time... I just follow either the people ahead of me and hope they're going in the right direction, or the arrows... Thankfully, there were a lot of riders and volunteers on the course to help with my complete lack of directional ability.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:22 | 04 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/26
Performance: Good
Course: Through a subdivision, then uphill for an out and back, then on a trail through a park to the finish. AKA - I have NO idea where the heck I was going, I was just following people.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-17 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Lake in the Hills Triathlon

2014-06-17 3:17 PM
in reply to: #5013708

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Lake in the Hills Triathlon

Feel somewhat famous being mentioned not once but twice in a race report!

You actually finished 1 spot ahead of the friend I was talking about after the racing, thinking he was somewhat athletic.

2014-06-17 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

With the back issue, this was amazing!  To finish with that run is terrific - you must be stoked about it!

Congrats on a great race (even with all the madness).

Oh, and you'd better get used to cactus leaves…  

Matt

2014-06-17 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Your race reports crack me up!

For someone with a hurty back, that is some great work!  Heck, without a hurty back that is awesome  

I am a little concerned, however, that you gave yourself Aleve poisoning! Pretty sure the commercials say 2 Aleve will last you all day.  Not the 42 you took

I also think I figured out how you can continue to have fast run times, it's a 2 step process:

1.  hurt your back the day before the race; and

2. lose feeling in your left foot.

That should do it!

Seriously good job out there - especially all the encouragement giving and enjoying everything despite your back! 

2014-06-17 3:40 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Dang, woman, you did an amazing job considering that your back was in such awful shape!  I imagine the "wetsuit dance" helped a lot - NOT!!  Love that you chat up everybody on the ride.  Makes it more fun, doesn't it?  Good job, you!!  

2014-06-17 3:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

You actually finished 1 spot ahead of the friend I was talking about after the racing, thinking he was somewhat athletic.

Ha!  Nice for me!  

Wait juuuuuust a second... are you saying that I'm NOT somewhat athletic? 

2014-06-17 3:51 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Slow?  Holy speedy slowness!!  You kicked some booty even with a sore back!

2014-06-17 3:53 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

With the back issue, this was amazing!  To finish with that run is terrific - you must be stoked about it!

Congrats on a great race (even with all the madness).

Oh, and you'd better get used to cactus leaves…  

Matt

Holy cow... I'm SUPER STOKED about that run time!!  I don't think I've EVER had a run time for a race that started with a nine, it's awesome!   

Yeaaahhh... I'm pretty sure they'll actually be cactus leaves in Austin as opposed to the chestnuts.  Silly Tony.  

We now have the race to Austin going on!!  

2014-06-17 3:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Your race reports crack me up!

For someone with a hurty back, that is some great work!  Heck, without a hurty back that is awesome  

I am a little concerned, however, that you gave yourself Aleve poisoning! Pretty sure the commercials say 2 Aleve will last you all day.  Not the 42 you took

I also think I figured out how you can continue to have fast run times, it's a 2 step process:

1.  hurt your back the day before the race; and

2. lose feeling in your left foot.

That should do it!

Seriously good job out there - especially all the encouragement giving and enjoying everything despite your back! 

Yeah, but it was either take the Aleve, or try the 3 foot tall bottle of wine again, and we all know how well that worked last time... 

Hmmm... I *might* agree with you on the run thing except for the fact that it made both my swim and my bike slower than it otherwise would be... and I kind of like being able to feel my extremities.  Weird, I know.  

2014-06-17 3:57 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by laffinrock

Dang, woman, you did an amazing job considering that your back was in such awful shape!  I imagine the "wetsuit dance" helped a lot - NOT!!  Love that you chat up everybody on the ride.  Makes it more fun, doesn't it?  Good job, you!!  

Thanks Mary!!  I had a GREAT time chatting with everyone, it really does make it more fun... well, as long as they want to chat too...  

2014-06-17 3:57 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Slow?  Holy speedy slowness!!  You kicked some booty even with a sore back!

Thanks Judi!!  

2014-06-17 6:19 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Well done I always chat with people in the bike and thank every single volunteer and cop too   Congrats on the super speedy run!!! WOOHOOOOOOOO

2014-06-18 7:20 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by brigby1

Ha!  Nice for me!  

Wait juuuuuust a second... are you saying that I'm NOT somewhat athletic? 

2014-06-18 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

What a wonderful RR. Not that your hurty back is entertaining or anything but... oh nevermind.

Glad you pulled out a great race even with the hurty back. You sure have the mental toughness ready for IMChoo!

2014-06-18 11:14 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Not much fun having back issues and the having to get off the bike and run. Nice run off the bike for you though. Great job!
2014-06-18 11:19 AM
in reply to: rayd

User image

Master
Chicago

Ummm, you forgot to mention hanging out with a certain other BT'er...booooo!

Good Racing Lady!!

2014-06-18 2:36 PM
in reply to: miami9296

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race!  Nice race report.  :-)

I have the distinct impression that if you had it to do over, you would not hurt your back the day before a race. 

2014-06-18 3:44 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Holy crow, Monica!!!  To have the race you did with your back in the condition it was is nothing short of incredible.  Great job on all 3 disciplines.  And yeah, don't you hate the indecision of to wear or not to wear a wetsuit?!  Ugh.  Congrats again, you've surely made your Betty sponsor proud!

2014-06-19 4:55 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Congrats!!  and good job on beating Tony!! 

2014-06-19 11:59 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Master

Nice job!  Wow, painful back and wind and almost 30km/hr.  sheesh.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake In The Hills Triathlon

Started by newattri
Views: 1699 Posts: 1

2008-07-19 4:07 PM newattri

Started by mr2tony
Views: 1806 Posts: 4

2007-07-20 2:04 PM schmize

Started by daviddclough
Views: 1638 Posts: 1

2007-07-17 12:50 PM daviddclough

Lake in the Hills Triathlon

Started by bryans0626
Views: 756 Posts: 1

2007-07-16 9:04 AM bryans0626

Started by Rowdy
Views: 1990 Posts: 7

2007-07-19 5:37 PM marymosc13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.