4th Dimension Racing
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 49s
Overall Rank = 55/1805
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/394
Pre-race routine:

Watched the sun go down and had a fire near the beach with friends while the almost full moon came up. I had a citra pale ale and a Fremont 77 spring session ale.
Event warmup:

Parked at the bar that we were going to meet at for beers after and ran the 2.75 miles to the start as a warm-up. Picked up my packet, used the porta, grabbed some water and lined up. I was running a little later than I had hoped so the whole thing felt a bit rushed. I need to get up a little earlier next time. I also had to sacrifice doing strides because I ran out of time.
Run
  • 1h 27m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

My sole focus has been mountain/trail running but I wanted to get something where race time and pace actually meant something so I could truly check in on my fitness.

I have not done any long quality tempo runs or really anything specific to this distance, so really I was just winging it.

My goals were as follows:
D goal: Pace well so I could finish strong
C goal: Run under 1:30
B goal: Run under 1:29
A goal: Run under 1:28

Because I hadn't had any relevant workouts, I wasn't sure what was reasonable. I've been working hard but workouts oriented with upward (and downward) travel such as trail running, summiting mountains etc. doesn't necessarily translate to fast flat running.

I lined up near the front with a goal of a conservative start and a strong finish.

We took off and I settled into a comfortable pace right away. I felt extremely relaxed. I was in shorts and a tank which is almost never a problem but it was particularly cold at the start and I was wondering if I made a good decision. I probably should have at least had gloves.

My splits were steady through the 5 mile mark. I wasn't forcing anything but they were all landing under 6:50. I put most of my energy focusing on fast turnover on any downhill.

Unfortunately they are paving the trail along the lake and each year the course has to change slightly to accommodate the closed portion of the trail. This year due to the closure we were forced up onto the shoulder of the road for several miles. It was very narrow and quite dangerous. You didn't have much room to pass so some people were cutting outside the cones into traffic. I didn't want to risk it so I hung behind the people in front of my and unfortunately my pace slipped while I waiting for an opportunity to pass.

Finally we dropped down a hill back onto the trail and I used a fast cadence to take advantage of the hill, passing several people.

During miles 6-8 I felt a little lost. I was more or less all alone and my mind wandered a bit. I was struggling to maintain focus. Lucky for me a man came up alongside me for the pass. I tucked right in behind him and let him set a pace.

The thing was, I felt pretty good. My legs weren't shot, my breathing was under control. I was just struggling to push myself to that place you go in a half marathon, where it is more or less right out side of your comfort zone. I was very lucky to have the guy in front of me to do some pacing work.

We got into mile 10 and 11 and I was feeling better, not worse. I traded places with the guy and we worked together to get into mile 12. At 12.5 or so I was fading a touch and let the guy take the lead again. He started putting distance between us. I snapped out of it and focued on closing the gap.

We came into the final stretch and I was able to summon some strength and push the pace a bit. I saw the clock just under 1:28 and pushed hard to as to not lose my A goal. I finished strong with a negative split.

As I said, this course changes every year so it is difficult to compare times. I knew I wasn't in a position to beat last years time for several reasons but finishing 1:27:xx was a HUGE accomplishment for me. As I had mentioned, I hadn't done any kind of long tempos to get ready. If I can run an 87 without that, I think I am in position to hammer a beautiful half marathon time with some specific focus.

But for now, my sights are set on the more masochistic goals like the Pikes Peak Ascent and the Mountain Running Championship, where the times are slow, your heart-rate is through the roof and no one cares. LOL!

What would you do differently?:

Train specifically for this kind of racing, flat and fast.
Post race
Warm down:

Changed out of my sweaty clothes, got on the bus and then ran the 2.75 miles to the bar.
About halfway through my cooldown run I started feeling reaaaaaallly lousy. I was dizzy and my vision got blurry around the edges. I walked for a few minutes and felt a little better. Once I got to the bar I had a beer and felt a lot better. Lifesaver :)

I met up with some BT peeps which is always a pleasure. Then I headed out to the mountains for a hike.

By the end of the day I was really, really spent. I actually think I may have run outside my actual fitness today. Which to me, is a win.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Non-specific training

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:49 | 13.1 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/394
Overall: 55/1805
Performance: Average
Course: Flat point to point primarily on path along Lake Sammamish. Part paved, part crushed gravel. Due to trail construction several miles were run on the shoulder of the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-03-09 12:42 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

2015-03-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5099111

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Wow, nice work!

You didn't say if you passed the guy at the end!  

2015-03-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by axteraa

Wow, nice work!

You didn't say if you passed the guy at the end!  

HA! No, I didn't. I shook his hand at the end and told him thank you for pulling me out of the gutter. He told me I helped him more than I knew.

Then a guy that finished behind me more or less told me the same thing.

It's so interesting how we use eachother in the race and how helpful your competitors are. Usually I communicate more and strategize a bit but I didn't really have it in me to do so. 

2015-03-09 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Nothing like beating all your goals.  Fast race!

2015-03-09 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Awesome race! I love how you know yourself so well and know that working with others will keep you focused. Nice job to you, and him.

The after hike looks awesome too!

2015-03-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Nice to hear the details of your race.  I didn't get to chat with you as much as I wanted afterwards.  I think we had similar experiences with the race other than the fact you were so much faster than me.  I think it would have been tough to beat last years time because of the shortness of the course last year.  I had it pretty darn close to 13.1 this year.

It really was a nice day.  We'll have to hit a trail together one of these days.

2015-03-09 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Stellar job! Really nice to set a few goals and beat them all, to work with others, and to push beyond. And I thought it funny that you mentioned the mind wandering a bit. As you know, I am often challenged with the mental focus aspect, so it's nice to know others are in the same boat on (rare) occasion.

2015-03-09 1:32 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

I think you need a AA goal!  As usual, nicely done!!

2015-03-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations on a nice race with a negative split and A Goal accomplished.  Way to go!

2015-03-09 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Fantastic race!  You are so darn fast!!  Plus your hike after looks really nice, what a day!  It was fun hanging out with you again, hope we can arrange some more events where we are both there at the same time again soon.  I would say we could 'race together" but I know I would just see you at the start.  

-L

2015-03-09 3:08 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

You need to change your nickname to 'torpedo' since you blew your goals out of the water!  You are one speedy chick, congrats on the race!  Your pics are great, too.  Love the trail through the woods shot.

2015-03-09 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Congrats on a terrific race.  It's always fun to read your race reports. 

2015-03-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by msteiner

Nothing like beating all your goals.  Fast race!

Thanks Matt! 

2015-03-10 11:33 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Nice to hear the details of your race.  I didn't get to chat with you as much as I wanted afterwards.  I think we had similar experiences with the race other than the fact you were so much faster than me.  I think it would have been tough to beat last years time because of the shortness of the course last year.  I had it pretty darn close to 13.1 this year.

It really was a nice day.  We'll have to hit a trail together one of these days.

Yeah for sure. On a good day, with the right training, I could totally PR

And yes, please! Let's trail run soon!

2015-03-10 11:43 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

I think you need a AA goal!  As usual, nicely done!!

Haha, well I suppose the AA goal would be to PR. Which I didn't do. 

2015-03-10 12:32 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

You never fail to impress me.  A HM in a great time, WU/CD of over 5 miles on top of that, THEN going for a hike. A.MAZE.ING!  

Is it possible that the trail running is in fact helping your overall fitness?    It's obviously different in terms of pacing and strategy, but it seems like it might be helpful terms of cardio and strength--not that you need any help in that area!!

2015-03-10 2:28 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

You never fail to impress me.  A HM in a great time, WU/CD of over 5 miles on top of that, THEN going for a hike. A.MAZE.ING!  

Is it possible that the trail running is in fact helping your overall fitness?    It's obviously different in terms of pacing and strategy, but it seems like it might be helpful terms of cardio and strength--not that you need any help in that area!!

Aww thanks

Yes, it's  clear the trail running is at least maintaining if not helping build the general run fitness. It's part of why I wanted to do this race, as an experiment of sorts. I was really happy this was the case. 

I believe that my running, in general, meaning trail, track, road and mountain seems to continue to improve so long as I keep working hard and consistent. But I also can see where those specific workouts, tailored to a distance/style of running are critical if you wish to compete closer to your potential. But I imagine that's not a surprise to anyone. 

2015-03-11 10:54 AM

User image

Master

Yes, you should take a bow (first pic ).

Seems you're usually really focused. Is the mind-wandering thing something you find happening recently or in different types of races? No matter, though. You pulled it together and finished with you A goal!

2015-03-11 11:06 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Wow. I thought this was a dude's report, you are so fast!!  If I lived near you I would run and drink beer with you.  Well, I would run behind you but prob have no issue keeping up in the Pale Ales.  Nice effort, it sounds like!  

2015-03-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Yes, you should take a bow (first pic ).

Seems you're usually really focused. Is the mind-wandering thing something you find happening recently or in different types of races? No matter, though. You pulled it together and finished with you A goal!

In this particular case, I think it was the mental part of those long tempo workouts that I was missing. Generally for a race like this I would have done several. Due to a bunch of circumstances out of my control (and focus elsewhere in running) I didn't get them in. 

I hesitate to say that the mental portion is as hard or as important as the physical portion, but it is one area that cannot be neglected in training.

2015-03-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Mimir98

Wow. I thought this was a dude's report, you are so fast!!  If I lived near you I would run and drink beer with you.  Well, I would run behind you but prob have no issue keeping up in the Pale Ales.  Nice effort, it sounds like!  

Hey thank you!!! And it sounds like you have your priorities straight! If I'm in Florida again I'm in!

2015-03-16 12:56 PM

User image

Seattle

I wanted to share this photo. I love it! It's just so awesome how you work together, sometimes silently leaning on each-other for secret motivation. Then at the end you reveal just how important you were to each-other. Just awesome. 

2015-03-16 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Awesome race. Nothing like hitting A goal with little problem.
Those pics looks awesome as well. How I wish I could run in places like that. I need to visit my friend in Ellensburg (not sure if there is as nice a running there, but certain it is better than over on my side of the country.)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Started by Muskrat37
Views: 1704 Posts: 6

2013-03-14 10:25 AM TriAya

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 1618 Posts: 5

2013-03-12 6:53 PM SSMinnow

Started by bluetractor
Views: 1484 Posts: 4

2012-03-18 1:03 PM KateTri1

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by oldntrin
Views: 990 Posts: 1

2011-03-27 8:57 AM oldntrin

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 2323 Posts: 9

2011-03-28 8:57 PM popsracer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.