BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-03-04 11:41 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Originally posted by glfprncs The good news on today's marathon: 1. I finished & 2. The weather was perfect. My performance was not my best & impacted, imo, by the following: Health (been sick the last 2 weeks, & still coughing up loveliness today, 2. Hills (Jesus, Mary & Joseph...I forgot how hilly this race is), & 3. Aid stations 4 miles apart(they were 1-2 miles apart 5 years ago...I planned for this). Note to self: flat marathon next time.

congrats on getting done, especially since you were not at your healthiest !

2018-03-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy birthday, Laura!!!

Happy Birthday !

2018-03-04 11:48 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Raced the Azalea sprint tri yesterday. Its the first event in the NC tri series put on by Setup Events. I did this race as my first tri in 2014, and again in 2016. This was my fastest overall time and fastest bike and run. I was able to get 3rd in AG. Although 421 registered only 360 raced, and overall the times seemed slower than previous years. I haven't done a stand alone 5k for 5 years and set a new 5k PR which was nice.

Race Report
https://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=287916

Nate
2018-03-04 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by nrpoulin Raced the Azalea sprint tri yesterday. Its the first event in the NC tri series put on by Setup Events. I did this race as my first tri in 2014, and again in 2016. This was my fastest overall time and fastest bike and run. I was able to get 3rd in AG. Although 421 registered only 360 raced, and overall the times seemed slower than previous years. I haven't done a stand alone 5k for 5 years and set a new 5k PR which was nice. Race Report https://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=287916Nate

congrats!

2018-03-04 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Raced the Azalea sprint tri yesterday. Its the first event in the NC tri series put on by Setup Events. I did this race as my first tri in 2014, and again in 2016. This was my fastest overall time and fastest bike and run. I was able to get 3rd in AG. Although 421 registered only 360 raced, and overall the times seemed slower than previous years. I haven't done a stand alone 5k for 5 years and set a new 5k PR which was nice.

Race Report

Nate

Congratulations!
2018-03-04 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by glfprncs

The good news on today's marathon: 1. I finished & 2. The weather was perfect.

My performance was not my best & impacted, imo, by the following: Health (been sick the last 2 weeks, & still coughing up loveliness today, 2. Hills (Jesus, Mary & Joseph...I forgot how hilly this race is), & 3. Aid stations 4 miles apart(they were 1-2 miles apart 5 years ago...I planned for this).

Note to self: flat marathon next time.
Well done Nancy.

2018-03-04 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Race Report

Nate
Congratulations Nate
2018-03-05 12:32 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Two weeks matters at 40+! I took three weeks off serious training after my dad died (not even completely off, just maybe 7 or 8 runs of 30 minutes each, three one-hour trainer rides, and no strength or swimming), and I feel like I'm starting from scratch. I HURT when I get up in the morning, before I even do anything. Plus the four months off running in the fall--beginning to realize I may never be able to get back to where I was before that, at least in terms of speed/pace. No so much the original injury, but losing the resilience I had built up from several years of regular running. I just don't seem to be able to build back to that level so far.
2018-03-05 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

My performance was not my best & impacted, imo, by the following: Health (been sick the last 2 weeks, & still coughing up loveliness today, 2. Hills (Jesus, Mary & Joseph...I forgot how hilly this race is), & 3. Aid stations 4 miles apart(they were 1-2 miles apart 5 years ago...I planned for this).

Congratulations, sounds like tough conditions! Aid stations 4 miles apart is a long way to go between water stops.
2018-03-05 7:02 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Two weeks matters at 40+! I took three weeks off serious training after my dad died (not even completely off, just maybe 7 or 8 runs of 30 minutes each, three one-hour trainer rides, and no strength or swimming), and I feel like I'm starting from scratch. I HURT when I get up in the morning, before I even do anything. Plus the four months off running in the fall--beginning to realize I may never be able to get back to where I was before that, at least in terms of speed/pace. No so much the original injury, but losing the resilience I had built up from several years of regular running. I just don't seem to be able to build back to that level so far.

i hear ya! Last year I was on running and biking lock down for over 3 months . It was so hard getting to a point I felt good about my running- biking came back faster. But, a year later and I’m running as well, if not a bit better, than I was pre injury. I am no where near your ability, but don’t give up hope!

2018-03-05 8:41 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Congrats! Sounds like you overcame a lot! I'm in awe of everyone who runs a marathon under ideal conditions. Can't imagine the mental toughness it took to finish a race under those circumstances.

2018-03-05 8:44 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Race Report

Nate
Congrats! Looks like a good start to the season.
2018-03-05 10:56 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs The good news on today's marathon: 1. I finished & 2. The weather was perfect. My performance was not my best & impacted, imo, by the following: Health (been sick the last 2 weeks, & still coughing up loveliness today, 2. Hills (Jesus, Mary & Joseph...I forgot how hilly this race is), & 3. Aid stations 4 miles apart(they were 1-2 miles apart 5 years ago...I planned for this). Note to self: flat marathon next time.

Congrats on finishing despite the hills and health issues.  Good weather is a definite bonus!

2018-03-05 10:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Two weeks matters at 40+! I took three weeks off serious training after my dad died (not even completely off, just maybe 7 or 8 runs of 30 minutes each, three one-hour trainer rides, and no strength or swimming), and I feel like I'm starting from scratch. I HURT when I get up in the morning, before I even do anything. Plus the four months off running in the fall--beginning to realize I may never be able to get back to where I was before that, at least in terms of speed/pace. No so much the original injury, but losing the resilience I had built up from several years of regular running. I just don't seem to be able to build back to that level so far.

I hear ya, it's so strange how NOT doing any workouts hurts more than doing workouts!  Like Ann Marie said, there's no doubt you'll get back to where you were, it may just take a little time.

2018-03-05 10:59 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nrpoulin Raced the Azalea sprint tri yesterday. Its the first event in the NC tri series put on by Setup Events. I did this race as my first tri in 2014, and again in 2016. This was my fastest overall time and fastest bike and run. I was able to get 3rd in AG. Although 421 registered only 360 raced, and overall the times seemed slower than previous years. I haven't done a stand alone 5k for 5 years and set a new 5k PR which was nice. Race Report https://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=287916Nate

It's nice seeing improvements, no?  Congratulations!

2018-03-05 5:29 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

marathons are horrible.

congrats on surviving

2018-03-05 10:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Two weeks matters at 40+! I took three weeks off serious training after my dad died (not even completely off, just maybe 7 or 8 runs of 30 minutes each, three one-hour trainer rides, and no strength or swimming), and I feel like I'm starting from scratch. I HURT when I get up in the morning, before I even do anything. Plus the four months off running in the fall--beginning to realize I may never be able to get back to where I was before that, at least in terms of speed/pace. No so much the original injury, but losing the resilience I had built up from several years of regular running. I just don't seem to be able to build back to that level so far.

Ha! Just wait until you're 50+! I've discovered that if I don't do something everyday, I can barely move the next day because I get so stiff. My hips and my back are horrible if my day is only walking and simple stretches. I have to move more than that or I sound like Rice Krispies when I get up the next morning.
2018-03-06 6:16 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm 48 1/2 and will be 50 in "tri years" next January. Not too far away from that stage! Since about 40, I basically can't function without swimming 3-4X a week. It seems to undo running, biking, and being on my feet a lot at work to a critical extent. That doing that much swimming helps me be fairly FOP in my age group is just an added bonus.
2018-03-07 12:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi everyone

I didn't post a picture of my (almost) complete mega medal from the summer trail series. So here it is.

I love these race organisers they come up with the best event names. The next one is called the "Bloated Goat", the "Little Fat Lamb" or the "Bleating Kid" depending on what distance you do. I'm going with the short "Bleating Kid" because they say this is the most brutal event that they do. The first year that they did the Bloated Goat 30% of the entrants DNFed because of the hills. They haven't changed the course they added the two shorter distances and told everyone to toughen up

Oh and at the last race (called Swissmurdie) they had a Swiss Long Horn group come and play. It was so cool when you came over the top of the last hill you could hear them right through the valley, but you couldn't see them until you got to the finish line. It was a magical way to do the last few kms of the race just listening to the fantastic harmonies ringing through the quiet Sunday morning.

(sorry picture is sideways and I cant change it)

Edited by StaceyK 2018-03-07 12:58 AM

(PTS medal .JPG)

Attachments
----------------
PTS medal .JPG (110KB - 2 downloads)
2018-03-07 2:22 AM
in reply to: #5232372

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Cool. Do they offer the same medal each year so that you can get the piece that you're missing?
2018-03-07 4:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Cool. Do they offer the same medal each year so that you can get the piece that you're missing?
No they do a different one each year. But that's ok cause I was away for the missing race at Disney doing the Dopey challenge so I got plenty of other bling that weekend including this one.

Edited by StaceyK 2018-03-07 7:54 PM

(Dopey medal.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Dopey medal.JPG (117KB - 2 downloads)

2018-03-07 9:52 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Congrats on last weeks races everyone! Marathon's are just miserable and I have serious respect for anyone who finishes. As for the aches and pains for the 45ish + croud....I've got nothing .

Has anyone ever tried to do a race with a SO? My wife and I wanted to run the NYC marathon together this year. We both signed up for the lottery and she got in and I didn't! She can defer 1 year but there's no guarantee I'll get in next year given I'm 0 for 2 now. Any suggestions are appreciated!
2018-03-07 9:59 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi everyone I didn't post a picture of my (almost) complete mega medal from the summer trail series. So here it is. I love these race organisers they come up with the best event names. The next one is called the "Bloated Goat", the "Little Fat Lamb" or the "Bleating Kid" depending on what distance you do. I'm going with the short "Bleating Kid" because they say this is the most brutal event that they do. The first year that they did the Bloated Goat 30% of the entrants DNFed because of the hills. They haven't changed the course they added the two shorter distances and told everyone to toughen up Oh and at the last race (called Swissmurdie) they had a Swiss Long Horn group come and play. It was so cool when you came over the top of the last hill you could hear them right through the valley, but you couldn't see them until you got to the finish line. It was a magical way to do the last few kms of the race just listening to the fantastic harmonies ringing through the quiet Sunday morning. (sorry picture is sideways and I cant change it)

Cool medal! This race company sounds like fun!!

2018-03-07 10:05 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook Has anyone ever tried to do a race with a SO? My wife and I wanted to run the NYC marathon together this year. We both signed up for the lottery and she got in and I didn't! She can defer 1 year but there's no guarantee I'll get in next year given I'm 0 for 2 now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Do you run at the same pace?

I've never ran at the same pace as a significant other, so have always gone to the race site together, but said "see ya at the finish line" before heading to separate start corals. I did run the Chicago Marathon with my sister - she was about my pace, a little faster, and I hung with her until mile 18 I think. But we started in different corals (me ahead of her) so I had to step to the side and wait for hers to move forward to find her.

2018-03-07 10:32 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by TXTriRook Has anyone ever tried to do a race with a SO? My wife and I wanted to run the NYC marathon together this year. We both signed up for the lottery and she got in and I didn't! She can defer 1 year but there's no guarantee I'll get in next year given I'm 0 for 2 now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Do you run at the same pace?

I've never ran at the same pace as a significant other, so have always gone to the race site together, but said "see ya at the finish line" before heading to separate start corals. I did run the Chicago Marathon with my sister - she was about my pace, a little faster, and I hung with her until mile 18 I think. But we started in different corals (me ahead of her) so I had to step to the side and wait for hers to move forward to find her.

No, we wouldn't be at the same pace. It's more about the logistics of such a popular race and having the right people there taking care of our kids. Would just be nice to finish the marathon and be able to celebrate "together."
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13605 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27421 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis