BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-03-07 11:38 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by TXTriRook Has anyone ever tried to do a race with a SO? My wife and I wanted to run the NYC marathon together this year. We both signed up for the lottery and she got in and I didn't! She can defer 1 year but there's no guarantee I'll get in next year given I'm 0 for 2 now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Do you run at the same pace?

I've never ran at the same pace as a significant other, so have always gone to the race site together, but said "see ya at the finish line" before heading to separate start corals. I did run the Chicago Marathon with my sister - she was about my pace, a little faster, and I hung with her until mile 18 I think. But we started in different corals (me ahead of her) so I had to step to the side and wait for hers to move forward to find her.

No, we wouldn't be at the same pace. It's more about the logistics of such a popular race and having the right people there taking care of our kids. Would just be nice to finish the marathon and be able to celebrate "together."

Ah, gotcha. I agree, it would be fun to do it together if you can! If it were me, I would wait to see if you get in next year because it would be SUCH a unique experience to share together. Decisions!

2018-03-07 1:49 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

Hi everyone

I didn't post a picture of my (almost) complete mega medal from the summer trail series. So here it is.

I love these race organisers they come up with the best event names. The next one is called the "Bloated Goat", the "Little Fat Lamb" or the "Bleating Kid" depending on what distance you do. I'm going with the short "Bleating Kid" because they say this is the most brutal event that they do. The first year that they did the Bloated Goat 30% of the entrants DNFed because of the hills. They haven't changed the course they added the two shorter distances and told everyone to toughen up

Oh and at the last race (called Swissmurdie) they had a Swiss Long Horn group come and play. It was so cool when you came over the top of the last hill you could hear them right through the valley, but you couldn't see them until you got to the finish line. It was a magical way to do the last few kms of the race just listening to the fantastic harmonies ringing through the quiet Sunday morning.

(sorry picture is sideways and I cant change it)

Stay Puft!!
2018-03-07 2:35 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Hi all, POL post.  Happy belated birthday Lisa and congrats to racers, especially marathon finishers that aren't totally healthy.  I have never been so sore than after my  one stand alone mary.  I don't think I will ever do one again.  

My friend who lost her partner is doing okay.  She has an amazing support system of friends who have stepped up big time.  One request to all of you: if you do not have a will, please do so.  It has been a headache for her that they didn't.

Happy hump day!

2018-03-07 7:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by TXTriRook Has anyone ever tried to do a race with a SO? My wife and I wanted to run the NYC marathon together this year. We both signed up for the lottery and she got in and I didn't! She can defer 1 year but there's no guarantee I'll get in next year given I'm 0 for 2 now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Do you run at the same pace?

I've never ran at the same pace as a significant other, so have always gone to the race site together, but said "see ya at the finish line" before heading to separate start corals. I did run the Chicago Marathon with my sister - she was about my pace, a little faster, and I hung with her until mile 18 I think. But we started in different corals (me ahead of her) so I had to step to the side and wait for hers to move forward to find her.

No, we wouldn't be at the same pace. It's more about the logistics of such a popular race and having the right people there taking care of our kids. Would just be nice to finish the marathon and be able to celebrate "together."

Ah, gotcha. I agree, it would be fun to do it together if you can! If it were me, I would wait to see if you get in next year because it would be SUCH a unique experience to share together. Decisions!

Doing events with friends and family is great and to be honest is the reason that I have enjoyed running as much as I have in the last 18 months. But given that you are never guaranteed that you will both get entry to this race in the same year could you find a different race to do together?

I know its not the same but with the lottery system there is a possibility that you will never get selected

Edited by StaceyK 2018-03-07 7:58 PM
2018-03-07 10:59 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by nrpoulin Raced the Azalea sprint tri yesterday. Its the first event in the NC tri series put on by Setup Events. I did this race as my first tri in 2014, and again in 2016. This was my fastest overall time and fastest bike and run. I was able to get 3rd in AG. Although 421 registered only 360 raced, and overall the times seemed slower than previous years. I haven't done a stand alone 5k for 5 years and set a new 5k PR which was nice. Race Report https://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=287916Nate

It's nice seeing improvements, no?  Congratulations!

Sure is!
Thank you
2018-03-07 11:10 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Congrats on last weeks races everyone! Marathon's are just miserable and I have serious respect for anyone who finishes. As for the aches and pains for the 45ish + croud....I've got nothing .

Has anyone ever tried to do a race with a SO? My wife and I wanted to run the NYC marathon together this year. We both signed up for the lottery and she got in and I didn't! She can defer 1 year but there's no guarantee I'll get in next year given I'm 0 for 2 now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

My wife and I did our first HM together. We rented a house on the OBX and asked family and friends to come to help with the kids. We did another race about 6 months after that and left kids at home with a nanny. Both of these races we ran our own race. We did the Disney half together and brought her mom and brother to FL with us to watch the kids while we ran. We ran that one together I moved back into her corral. Lots of photo ops. I did the full then next day solo.

From a logistics stand point I would recommend some place close to family or where you can park your kids with friends/family for the race. We have been fortunate that family has been willing to travel.

2018-03-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

Hi all, POL post.  Happy belated birthday Lisa and congrats to racers, especially marathon finishers that aren't totally healthy.  I have never been so sore than after my  one stand alone mary.  I don't think I will ever do one again.  

My friend who lost her partner is doing okay.  She has an amazing support system of friends who have stepped up big time.  One request to all of you: if you do not have a will, please do so.  It has been a headache for her that they didn't.

Happy hump day!

For those of us with parents or relatives of a certain age, this can not be overstated. For those with children, SO's, sisters, brothers, loved ones, this can't be overstated. 

We ended up with ours when Ann bid on a skydiving adventure at a charity event.  She had actually bid on a package that included skydiving and a will. My only stipulation was that we finish the will prior to her skydive. We've only used one of the two products so far.

2018-03-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

Happy hump day!

For those of us with parents or relatives of a certain age, this can not be overstated. For those with children, SO's, sisters, brothers, loved ones, this can't be overstated. 

We ended up with ours when Ann bid on a skydiving adventure at a charity event.  She had actually bid on a package that included skydiving and a will. My only stipulation was that we finish the will prior to her skydive. We've only used one of the two products so far.

That's a weird combination for auction item - kind of creepy!
2018-03-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Happy hump day!

That's a weird combination for auction item - kind of creepy!

yeah, I don't know that i'd have great faith in the sky diving company if they required me to fill out a will first

2018-03-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

The donations came in from two separate sources, lawyer and Skydive company. The charity put them together as a package. I found it to be hilarious. TW was clueless, simply seeing the skydive portion.

The "will first, skydive second" rule was enacted by me, not the skydive company.  The company couldn't have cared less. Heck, the doorless plane left from a cow pasture.

2018-03-08 11:11 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

The donations came in from two separate sources, lawyer and Skydive company. The charity put them together as a package. I found it to be hilarious. TW was clueless, simply seeing the skydive portion.

The "will first, skydive second" rule was enacted by me, not the skydive company.  The company couldn't have cared less. Heck, the doorless plane left from a cow pasture.

Hilarious & brilliant marketing on the attorney's part!

2018-03-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by kbhanson3

Hilarious & brilliant marketing on the attorney's part!

It worked too, because he is now our go to guy.

2018-03-08 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe IM Corp. should offer that combo.
2018-03-08 5:32 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Maybe IM Corp. should offer that combo.

ftw!
2018-03-08 5:39 PM

User image

Master

Happy hump day!

Haha.  Sorry, but I think that is awesome.

2018-03-08 7:48 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Happy hump day!

That's cool.

The church that I work for do free wills with no requirement that you leave them anything - its just a service that they offer to try and make sure that people are covered. They will even function as the executor of the estate at no cost if you want them too. I used to help the guy that did the wills when I first started work here and trust me some families really need to have an independent executor cause things can get very nasty very quickly if there is any kind of valuable assets involved.

2018-03-09 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 10-11
Karl - Gate River Run 15k on Saturday
Jen - Hemlock Overlook Barnyard Burn 5 miler on Sunday

March 15 is Melanie's birthday

Is anyone else racing?

2018-03-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

March 10-11

Is anyone else racing?

No race for me unfortunately. Been sick all week and just today felt up to getting in the pool for a short swim. Off and on tendinitis in my heel never let me get past 5 mile runs in my training so it's not like I was really ready for a 15k in any event. Turning my attention to St. Anthony's at the end of April.
Go Jen!
2018-03-09 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by kbhanson3
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

March 10-11

Is anyone else racing?

No race for me unfortunately. Been sick all week and just today felt up to getting in the pool for a short swim. Off and on tendinitis in my heel never let me get past 5 mile runs in my training so it's not like I was really ready for a 15k in any event. Turning my attention to St. Anthony's at the end of April.Go Jen!
Sorry you can’t race, Gate River is supposed to be a fun one! But, happy you are feeling better.Race well and have fun Jen!
2018-03-12 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK

Happy hump day!

That's cool. The church that I work for do free wills with no requirement that you leave them anything - its just a service that they offer to try and make sure that people are covered. They will even function as the executor of the estate at no cost if you want them too. I used to help the guy that did the wills when I first started work here and trust me some families really need to have an independent executor cause things can get very nasty very quickly if there is any kind of valuable assets involved.

I believe the old saying is "Where there's a will, there's a family fighting" 

Or maybe it is supposed to be a bit different than that, but that is what I have seen.

2018-03-12 9:00 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yesterday was the big day of my great-nephew's first swim lesson and he loved it!  I was so happy and so proud of him, we both had fun.  I think he's looking forward to going again next week.

2018-03-12 9:30 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Yesterday was the big day of my great-nephew's first swim lesson and he loved it!  I was so happy and so proud of him, we both had fun.  I think he's looking forward to going again next week.

Yay! Glad you both had a good time.  He may be the next Phelps!

2018-03-12 9:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by amd723

Yay! Glad you both had a good time.  He may be the next Phelps!

Or Ian Thorpe. Good stuff!
2018-03-12 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Karl - I'm sorry that you were under the weather and that your heel has been bothering you. Take care!

Melanie - I'm glad that your great-nephew enjoyed the pool! Woo hoo!

Chris - How have you been doing? Seeing improvement in your calf or is it still acting up?

2018-03-12 11:03 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi Manatees!

Just a quick POL post. A few things have conspired lately to limit my training: illness (cold, pink eye), vacation, work-life conflict, and probably most importantly just not having any races on the books. I'm thinking of signing up for a late spring sprint to provide some motivation to get back in the pool and on the bike.

For those of you that have taken time away and then come back (e.g., having an off-season period with limited training or perhaps strength training), how have you gotten back into the swing of things?

Hope everyone on here is doing well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13520 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27273 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis