BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-07-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: bigstevel88fly@yahoo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by bigstevel88fly@yahoo Hi, I'm not sure that I'm doing this correctly. Do I need permission to join this group? I didn't see a place to post my bio.

Just post your bio here so we know who we are talking to (you can read your bios at the beginning of the thread if you like).

Here is the suggested format. Feel free to freestyle it a bit. ;-)

NAME: What you're actually called in the real world.

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava or whatever name/handle you use from any other social media site if you'd like us to follow along.

STORY: Who you are, why you want to do endurance/multisport, any athletic background

FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/partnered/family/pets, especially pets)

CURRENT TRAINING: If/how you have been training so far

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: If any have been chosen or are on the possibilities list.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: What do you hope to get out of this?

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Why do you want to join this group?

2019-07-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Have any of you been following the Frank Meza story?  He was suspected of cheating in the LA Marathon where he apparently set an age group world record, finishing in 2:53:10.  After a whole internet blowup, he was disqualified on June 28.  He was found dead, in an apparent suicide on July 4.  Very sad and disturbing.

Yes, I've followed it loosely as the saga was unfolding, forgot about it and then saw the headline on CNN that he was found dead. I have no problem with a cheater getting identified and disqualified; but i do have problems with the people who think they should bully another on social media, leave reviews on his website etc calling him out, saying nasty bullying things!  Social media has some good points (this thread for example ), but it also creates a lot of problems.  

Rant/

I have followed a bit as well and I think it is important to differentiate the two things in this regard.

1. He cheated.
  2. He was bullied.

Was there some cause and affect? Sure, but the first does not excuse the other. And the second is generally much worse in the end than the first. It is a sad day when someone cheating in a hobby ends up in death. I think it would be interesting for law enforcement or some other governing body, to go back through the whole thing, find those that were involved and start calling those people to the carpet. It is apparent that the way people act within the realm of the Internet is oftentimes different than IRL. And it would be interesting to see folks get educated in regards to their actions and the possible ramifications of those actions.

As someone who has been through something similar, I am consistently sickened by some members of society.

/Rant

I have extremely mixed feelings on this.

2019-07-10 1:01 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/ironman-70.3-musselman.aspx

2019-07-10 1:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by lisac957

Have any of you been following the Frank Meza story?  He was suspected of cheating in the LA Marathon where he apparently set an age group world record, finishing in 2:53:10.  After a whole internet blowup, he was disqualified on June 28.  He was found dead, in an apparent suicide on July 4.  Very sad and disturbing.

Yes, I've followed it loosely as the saga was unfolding, forgot about it and then saw the headline on CNN that he was found dead. I have no problem with a cheater getting identified and disqualified; but i do have problems with the people who think they should bully another on social media, leave reviews on his website etc calling him out, saying nasty bullying things!  Social media has some good points (this thread for example ), but it also creates a lot of problems.  

Rant/

I have followed a bit as well and I think it is important to differentiate the two things in this regard.

1. He cheated.
  2. He was bullied.

Was there some cause and affect? Sure, but the first does not excuse the other. And the second is generally much worse in the end than the first. It is a sad day when someone cheating in a hobby ends up in death. I think it would be interesting for law enforcement or some other governing body, to go back through the whole thing, find those that were involved and start calling those people to the carpet. It is apparent that the way people act within the realm of the Internet is oftentimes different than IRL. And it would be interesting to see folks get educated in regards to their actions and the possible ramifications of those actions.

As someone who has been through something similar, I am consistently sickened by some members of society.

/Rant

I completely understand. Part of the beauty of life is that we can all see things a bit differently.

2019-07-10 1:21 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Rant/

1. He cheated.
  2. He was bullied.

/Rant

I completely understand. Part of the beauty of life is that we can all see things a bit differently.

I really wish that someone -- friend, family, training partner -- intervened during the five or more years that this was going on.  Then this whole conversation wouldn't be happening.

That does not excuse the bullying which was definitely out of control and did not pass the "would you say this to him face-to-face" test at all.

2019-07-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

???

ETA: wait, is that a new race? 

Edited by amd723 2019-07-10 1:43 PM

2019-07-10 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

Interesting! Darren (my DH) did this one a few years ago ... it's a nice local race - maybe less of a destination. Accommodations were pretty limited but they worked really hard at the community feel. 

2019-07-10 1:47 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

???

Yes, Musselman died. WTC resurrected it.  It's the new thing. See also, St. George full, Penticton (?), CdA full (rumored rotation with St. George).

2019-07-10 3:03 PM

User image

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

???

Yes, Musselman died. WTC resurrected it.  It's the new thing. See also, St. George full, Penticton (?), CdA full (rumored rotation with St. George).

Rumor around here is that St George, CdA, and Boulder will rotate every 3 years.

I really wanted to do the Challenge Family Penticton, but they discontinued it. Maybe if WTC brings it back I will think about that.
2019-07-10 4:49 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master

Originally posted by fortissimo

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

???

Rumor around here is that St George, CdA, and Boulder will rotate every 3 years. I really wanted to do the Challenge Family Penticton, but they discontinued it. Maybe if WTC brings it back I will think about that.

Pretty sure IMC is going back to Penticton.... https://twitter.com/IRONMANtri/status/1148747411675897857

That is a picture of a second place winner of a Penticton photography contest....  I am super excited cause it was supposed to be my first IM.  I volunteered in 2013 to be able to sign up for 2014; they told us at a volunteer meeting the day before the race that it was moving to Whistler.  I said I wasn't going to do a full next year because I will be in school and working, but I will find a way to do the first second iteration of this!

2019-07-11 1:42 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

???

the only thing I know about Musselman is that there are actual mussel shells in the water and people cut their feet on it. Other than that I heard it was a well run, well liked race. Let's hope WTC doesn't screw it up

2019-07-12 9:00 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by fortissimo

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

???

Rumor around here is that St George, CdA, and Boulder will rotate every 3 years. I really wanted to do the Challenge Family Penticton, but they discontinued it. Maybe if WTC brings it back I will think about that.

Pretty sure IMC is going back to Penticton.... https://twitter.com/IRONMANtri/status/1148747411675897857

That is a picture of a second place winner of a Penticton photography contest....  I am super excited cause it was supposed to be my first IM.  I volunteered in 2013 to be able to sign up for 2014; they told us at a volunteer meeting the day before the race that it was moving to Whistler.  I said I wasn't going to do a full next year because I will be in school and working, but I will find a way to do the first second iteration of this!

My DH did IMC in Penticton in 2007 - it was a really cool course. I am sure the community misses it because it was a big deal there ... 

2019-07-12 9:02 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Ironman 70.3 Musselman??

???

the only thing I know about Musselman is that there are actual mussel shells in the water and people cut their feet on it. Other than that I heard it was a well run, well liked race. Let's hope WTC doesn't screw it up

Interesting, my DH didn't mention anything about that when he did it in 2016. i guess it makes sense for the name. 

2019-07-12 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 13-14
Ann-Marie - Cool Sommer Mornings Sprint Triathlon on Saturday
Jim - Tawas Kiwanis Run by the Bay 5k on Saturday
Melanie - Ironman 70.3 Muncie on Saturday (664 - track her in the app!!)
Marysia - Dances with Dirt Devil’s Lake Marathon on Saturday
Stacey - Jolly Jumbuck Trail 21k on Sunday
Jen Stewey - Colonial Beach Sprint on Sunday
Laura - Colonial Beach Sprint on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-07-12 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

July 13-14

Is anyone else racing?

So many racers! Wishing everyone calm waters, mechanically uneventful rides, and shady runs!
2019-07-12 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 13-14

Is anyone else racing?

great variety of races! Good luck all!!

2019-07-12 2:35 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racing Manatees!!!

July 13-14

Is anyone else racing?

Great group of racers! Go everyone!
2019-07-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Expert
I had a good race. 2nd (be 7 seconds) in my age group (50-59) and 8th overall. It was a larger than normal group but slower times, some of the super speedy people didn't race this year. I'm happy with my time, especially since I have done zero speed work this year. The winner was a 29 year old priest! He didn't wear his collar.
2019-07-13 5:03 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a good race. 2nd (be 7 seconds) in my age group (50-59) and 8th overall. It was a larger than normal group but slower times, some of the super speedy people didn't race this year. I'm happy with my time, especially since I have done zero speed work this year. The winner was a 29 year old priest! He didn't wear his collar.

Congratulations!  Impressive results given the fatigue of IM training. Lake Placid is just around the corner! Are you getting excited?

2019-07-13 5:26 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a good race. 2nd (be 7 seconds) in my age group (50-59) and 8th overall. It was a larger than normal group but slower times, some of the super speedy people didn't race this year. I'm happy with my time, especially since I have done zero speed work this year. The winner was a 29 year old priest! He didn't wear his collar.

Congratulations! Sprints bring a whole different kind of pain Nice to see the priest racing. Maybe he can join sister Madonna at a race!

2019-07-15 7:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that everyone had a great weekend! I am looking forward to hearing about all of the races that happened!

2019-07-15 10:56 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
The last two weekends, I've had rides of 60 and 70 miles respectively. During both of those rides, the front end of my bike felt 'squirrely' whenever I'd go down into aero. I haven't noticed this feeling prior to the last 2 weekend rides. It's enough to make me feel rather uncomfortable which is NOT fun.

A few things:

I ride on Reynolds AR 58/62 wheels.

I did put on new tires this week, but that wouldn't account for the feeling last weekend.

I also replaced the stock aero bar pads with Cee Gee Cushy's. My first long road ride with them was on June 23rd, which is 3 weeks ago. I don't recall noticing any issues with them on that first ride.

It has not been windy. Truly...4-5 mph 'winds' both weekends.

I haven't had any other changes to my bike set up.

I'm so confused...and frustrated. I just want to park myself in aero and pedal.

I have an e-mail into the bike shop/fitter where I purchased the bike, and am willing to trek to Atlanta to have him check my fit and see if there's something else going on.

Any thoughts?
2019-07-15 11:04 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs The last two weekends, I've had rides of 60 and 70 miles respectively. During both of those rides, the front end of my bike felt 'squirrely' whenever I'd go down into aero. I haven't noticed this feeling prior to the last 2 weekend rides. It's enough to make me feel rather uncomfortable which is NOT fun. A few things: I ride on Reynolds AR 58/62 wheels. I did put on new tires this week, but that wouldn't account for the feeling last weekend. I also replaced the stock aero bar pads with Cee Gee Cushy's. My first long road ride with them was on June 23rd, which is 3 weeks ago. I don't recall noticing any issues with them on that first ride. It has not been windy. Truly...4-5 mph 'winds' both weekends. I haven't had any other changes to my bike set up. I'm so confused...and frustrated. I just want to park myself in aero and pedal. I have an e-mail into the bike shop/fitter where I purchased the bike, and am willing to trek to Atlanta to have him check my fit and see if there's something else going on. Any thoughts?

Could your saddle have shifted?  I had a ride a few months back where I all of a sudden felt like I was really far away from my aero bars.  Turns out my saddle had shifted all the way back on the rails.  Or could your bars have loosened and shifted?  Do you take your front wheel off to transport your bike and was it tightened?  Are you more fatigued and your core not as well engaged?  New glasses?  Just throwing out random thoughts!

2019-07-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs The last two weekends, I've had rides of 60 and 70 miles respectively. During both of those rides, the front end of my bike felt 'squirrely' whenever I'd go down into aero. I haven't noticed this feeling prior to the last 2 weekend rides. It's enough to make me feel rather uncomfortable which is NOT fun. A few things: I ride on Reynolds AR 58/62 wheels. I did put on new tires this week, but that wouldn't account for the feeling last weekend. I also replaced the stock aero bar pads with Cee Gee Cushy's. My first long road ride with them was on June 23rd, which is 3 weeks ago. I don't recall noticing any issues with them on that first ride. It has not been windy. Truly...4-5 mph 'winds' both weekends. I haven't had any other changes to my bike set up. I'm so confused...and frustrated. I just want to park myself in aero and pedal. I have an e-mail into the bike shop/fitter where I purchased the bike, and am willing to trek to Atlanta to have him check my fit and see if there's something else going on. Any thoughts?

Tire pressure?  Wheel came out of true?  Areobars moved somehow (or have you moved our saddle)?

2019-07-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by IronOx

Could your saddle have shifted?  I had a ride a few months back where I all of a sudden felt like I was really far away from my aero bars.  Turns out my saddle had shifted all the way back on the rails.  Or could your bars have loosened and shifted?  Do you take your front wheel off to transport your bike and was it tightened?  Are you more fatigued and your core not as well engaged?  New glasses?  Just throwing out random thoughts!

Saddle is in the same spot.
Bars are tight and in the same place.
Front wheel has a thru axle and it's snug (though it doesn't come off very often)
Running the same tire pressure as normal, but I am considering dropping the pressure in the front tire 10psi to see if that helps (I haven't done so at this time, though).
Tire looks true when I give it a spin.
My Sunday ride is always the last day of my weekly 'training block,' so there's inevitably some fatigue...definitely something to consider.

I DID get new prescription sunglasses 2 or 3 weeks ago. I actually see better with them and it's easier to ride in aero with them because of how they fit up under my helmet, so I don't know that this is the culprit.

Edited by glfprncs 2019-07-15 11:33 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107