BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-09-11 2:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Relay Talk

OK, Manatees, where are we with the shirts? Are we doing them?  Did we select a design?

OK, I'll make three designs and put it to a vote.

Next question, do we want everyday shirts (think cotton blend) or performance type fabric?  In other words, do we plan to run in them or use them more for the team photo?

Question 1 - Performance Fabric or Cotton Blend?

That is a tough question.  If we are running in them, performance fabric gets the nod.  But I am not opposed to cotton blend, especially if it is nice and soft.

Question 2 - Which design do you prefer?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNQNZzMzSjqzgBg-dOjIxKwa7Gb78hONltZBb9DUvYUHp_9g/viewform?usp=sf_link

Edited by jmkizer 2019-09-11 2:55 PM

2019-09-11 7:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Relay Talk

OK, Manatees, where are we with the shirts? Are we doing them?  Did we select a design?

Next question, do we want everyday shirts (think cotton blend) or performance type fabric?  In other words, do we plan to run in them or use them more for the team photo?

That is a tough question.  If we are running in them, performance fabric gets the nod.  But I am not opposed to cotton blend, especially if it is nice and soft.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNQNZzMzSjqzgBg-dOjIxKwa7Gb78hONltZBb9DUvYUHp_9g/viewform?usp=sf_link

Option 4
2019-09-12 9:23 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Relay Talk

Blanket answer: I'm partial to any of the designs that have the mountain graphic, very cool!  More specific answer: I like option 1, the green and blue writing on black look sharp and really caught my attention.  However, I am not opposed to options 3 or 4. 

I'd prefer not to have another orange shirt, I have quite a few in my collection.  I say that, yet I'll probably bring some orange shirts to wear for the race for visibility reasons. I already have 3 SS and 2 LS, in orange, perhaps more if I think about it.  Speaking of apparel, I'll likely follow this up with an email to the group about clothing...

2019-09-12 10:16 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk

Blanket answer: I'm partial to any of the designs that have the mountain graphic, very cool!  More specific answer: I like option 1, the green and blue writing on black look sharp and really caught my attention.  However, I am not opposed to options 3 or 4. 

I'd prefer not to have another orange shirt, I have quite a few in my collection.  I say that, yet I'll probably bring some orange shirts to wear for the race for visibility reasons. I already have 3 SS and 2 LS, in orange, perhaps more if I think about it.  Speaking of apparel, I'll likely follow this up with an email to the group about clothing...

OK, no orange for Melanie, got it.  I like #4 (blue with white lettering) and #1 (black with blue lettering).

Answer to your group question -- yes, a change of clothes for each of the three relay leg.  Possibly two pair of shoes as well.

2019-09-13 11:19 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Friday!
I hope everyone is ready for the weekend.

I have a news to share, along with a need for moral/mental support....
I enrolled into Programming BootCamp. I know nothing about programming (except there is some logic, problem solving, codes and weird languages....), but I have 90% employee discount, and based on the admission interview I should be able to manage it (at least the admission person truly believes in me, so I hope she knows what she's talking about....)

I am scared a bit, because I know this program is extremely intense. It is six months, three times per week. The schedule is great, but not for someone who already has plenty of activities on their plate. I was able to manage and organize the schedule to make sure my family does not starve and that I can handle it, and my partner is very, very supportive, so that's great, but I still worry a bit that the stress can be overwhelming. This is also very exciting, as I will learn new things and who knows - maybe this happens to be my new gig.

I know some of you are in the programming field, so I hope you can share some positive vibes
I will continue my running training, as it's something I can do on my lunch breaks. Not sure about the other things, probably will need to skip the triathlon for that time, but we shall see.
2019-09-13 11:57 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by marysia83

Happy Friday!
I hope everyone is ready for the weekend.

I have a news to share, along with a need for moral/mental support....
I enrolled into Programming BootCamp. I know nothing about programming (except there is some logic, problem solving, codes and weird languages....), but I have 90% employee discount, and based on the admission interview I should be able to manage it (at least the admission person truly believes in me, so I hope she knows what she's talking about....)

I am scared a bit, because I know this program is extremely intense. It is six months, three times per week. The schedule is great, but not for someone who already has plenty of activities on their plate. I was able to manage and organize the schedule to make sure my family does not starve and that I can handle it, and my partner is very, very supportive, so that's great, but I still worry a bit that the stress can be overwhelming. This is also very exciting, as I will learn new things and who knows - maybe this happens to be my new gig.

I know some of you are in the programming field, so I hope you can share some positive vibes
I will continue my running training, as it's something I can do on my lunch breaks. Not sure about the other things, probably will need to skip the triathlon for that time, but we shall see.

You are never going to look back and say, "wow, I'm so glad I continued to train for triathlon during my programming boot camp." Sounds like an exciting program, and if you make it a priority, could open up some big doors! I believe it you. You do amazing things all the time, and this will be yet another thing that you rock at. Will it be stressful? Yes, probably. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
Doooooooooo eeeeeeeeeet!

2019-09-13 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15
Ann-Marie - Harvest half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

2019-09-13 2:21 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by marysia83Happy Friday! I hope everyone is ready for the weekend.I have a news to share, along with a need for moral/mental support....I enrolled into Programming BootCamp. I know nothing about programming (except there is some logic, problem solving, codes and weird languages....), but I have 90% employee discount, and based on the admission interview I should be able to manage it (at least the admission person truly believes in me, so I hope she knows what she's talking about....)I am scared a bit, because I know this program is extremely intense. It is six months, three times per week. The schedule is great, but not for someone who already has plenty of activities on their plate. I was able to manage and organize the schedule to make sure my family does not starve and that I can handle it, and my partner is very, very supportive, so that's great, but I still worry a bit that the stress can be overwhelming. This is also very exciting, as I will learn new things and who knows - maybe this happens to be my new gig. I know some of you are in the programming field, so I hope you can share some positive vibes I will continue my running training, as it's something I can do on my lunch breaks. Not sure about the other things, probably will need to skip the triathlon for that time, but we shall see.
You are never going to look back and say, "wow, I'm so glad I continued to train for triathlon during my programming boot camp." Sounds like an exciting program, and if you make it a priority, could open up some big doors! I believe it you. You do amazing things all the time, and this will be yet another thing that you rock at. Will it be stressful? Yes, probably. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.Doooooooooo eeeeeeeeeet!
how exciting to be learning new things!!!!
2019-09-13 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk

I'll follow up about the shirts on Monday.  Please take a look and add your comments either here or in the form.  Thanks!

2019-09-13 5:17 PM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooooo Hands!

I am 'racing' a half distance aquabike on Sunday.  I have been MIA due to shingles, then a head cold, then starting a distance ed Social Work program.  Training has been less than adequate since Whistler 70.3!  I will be swimming hard and biking for fun.  Have a great weekend!

2019-09-16 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk

I'll follow up about the shirts on Monday.  Please take a look and add your comments either here or in the form.  Thanks!

T Shirt update - the feed back has it down to two designs -- the black and blue one and the blue and white one (I will attach images)

Both of these happen to have writing on the back.  I *think* that this a coincidence but I'm not sure. It seems to add about $10/shirt to the cost.

There does not seem to be a consensus on performance fabric or cotton blend.  This does not seem to affect the cost all that much.

(Manatee blue and white.png)

(Manatee black and blue.png)

Attachments
----------------
Manatee blue and white.png (178KB - 3 downloads)
Manatee black and blue.png (141KB - 3 downloads)

2019-09-16 11:14 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I love the blue and white!
2019-09-16 11:22 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Writing on the back is well worth the extra $10!

I like them both a lot. Even though I'm not racing, I'd buy either of these.

Marysia - congrats! So I'm a self taught web coder/programmer/developer. Some advice from things I've learned along the way.
1. is to pick a project or problem you really want to do and tackle it while you are learning. For me at least, I can't get much from going through other people's exercises. It helps me a lot to have something I really want to do instead of going through the motions.
2. focus on the fundamentals. if you understand loops, if-then, and arrays and how to structure your logic, you can pick up most any language pretty easily.
3. google is your friend. there are things programmers do literally dozens of times and they still google them very single time. being able to formulate a good google search will get you where you want to go most of the time.

2019-09-16 12:12 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by IronOx

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooooo Hands!

I am 'racing' a half distance aquabike on Sunday.  I have been MIA due to shingles, then a head cold, then starting a distance ed Social Work program.  Training has been less than adequate since Whistler 70.3!  I will be swimming hard and biking for fun.  Have a great weekend!

Oh my!!! I hope you are feeling better! That doesn't sound like much fun. My DH once had shingles and he said he felt like he was beaten up.  

2019-09-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 Happy Friday! I hope everyone is ready for the weekend. I have a news to share, along with a need for moral/mental support.... I enrolled into Programming BootCamp. I know nothing about programming (except there is some logic, problem solving, codes and weird languages....), but I have 90% employee discount, and based on the admission interview I should be able to manage it (at least the admission person truly believes in me, so I hope she knows what she's talking about....) I am scared a bit, because I know this program is extremely intense. It is six months, three times per week. The schedule is great, but not for someone who already has plenty of activities on their plate. I was able to manage and organize the schedule to make sure my family does not starve and that I can handle it, and my partner is very, very supportive, so that's great, but I still worry a bit that the stress can be overwhelming. This is also very exciting, as I will learn new things and who knows - maybe this happens to be my new gig. I know some of you are in the programming field, so I hope you can share some positive vibes I will continue my running training, as it's something I can do on my lunch breaks. Not sure about the other things, probably will need to skip the triathlon for that time, but we shall see.

Sounds like a good opportunity to add skills to your resume, cool!  You are right to be concerned with stress and being stretched thin and in many directions, so remember to keep the most important things in line (yourself, your family, your health) and let the others follow (programming class, training).  Good luck!

2019-09-16 1:02 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooooo Hands!

Kirsten, that sounds dreadful.  I hope you are recovered from the illnesses and that the distance learning program is going smoothly.  Take care!

2019-09-16 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Relay Talk

T Shirt update - the feed back has it down to two designs -- the black and blue one and the blue and white one (I will attach images)

Both of these happen to have writing on the back.  I *think* that this a coincidence but I'm not sure. It seems to add about $10/shirt to the cost.

There does not seem to be a consensus on performance fabric or cotton blend.  This does not seem to affect the cost all that much.

I think I prefer the black but would be happy with either.

2019-09-16 1:17 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master

Originally posted by juniperjen

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooooo Hands!

Oh my!!! I hope you are feeling better! That doesn't sound like much fun. My DH once had shingles and he said he felt like he was beaten up.  

I was super lucky in that I didn't have very much pain.  It was unbearably itchy for a time.  I am definitely feeling better, thanks!  

I chose a DNF yesterday.  It was absolutely pouring rain the entire time.  Started as we pushed off on the swim and didn't let up until 7 hours later, just as the last of the 70.3'ers were coming in.  It was coming down so hard it felt like little rocks hitting your face.  I used my de-fogger on my helmet visor as I always do, but kept having to wipe the inside every few minutes.  I couldn't see much, much of the time.  My friend reported the same.  I saw people looking OVER their glasses to be able to see--of course, then the rain is hitting you in the eyes, which isn't helpful for sight either.

The swim was fine.  Transition was a mud pit.  People were carrying their bikes as it was faster than rolling.  I had hummed and hawed about riding even before we started the race due to training and weather but decided to give it a go.  First out and back I was pretty much blind, couldn't even see any defects in the road.  Then we went out into the valley and it was two loops.  I was trying to decide the entire first loop if I would do the second or just head in.  By about 3/4 the way around I decided I would pull.  I think if it had've been sunny I would have been happy to just toodle along as the course is really pretty.  But I didn't need to put myself in danger for a late season 'fun' race.  Of course, despite my asking if it was an issue, crossing the transition mat resulted in me looking like I had won the aquabike and the results were screwy online for awhile .  Anyway, not unhappy with my decision and got to be sherpa/support for my friends .  

2019-09-16 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooooo Hands!

I was super lucky in that I didn't have very much pain.  It was unbearably itchy for a time.  I am definitely feeling better, thanks!  

I chose a DNF yesterday.  It was absolutely pouring rain the entire time.  Started as we pushed off on the swim and didn't let up until 7 hours later, just as the last of the 70.3'ers were coming in.  It was coming down so hard it felt like little rocks hitting your face.  I used my de-fogger on my helmet visor as I always do, but kept having to wipe the inside every few minutes.  I couldn't see much, much of the time.  My friend reported the same.  I saw people looking OVER their glasses to be able to see--of course, then the rain is hitting you in the eyes, which isn't helpful for sight either.

The swim was fine.  Transition was a mud pit.  People were carrying their bikes as it was faster than rolling.  I had hummed and hawed about riding even before we started the race due to training and weather but decided to give it a go.  First out and back I was pretty much blind, couldn't even see any defects in the road.  Then we went out into the valley and it was two loops.  I was trying to decide the entire first loop if I would do the second or just head in.  By about 3/4 the way around I decided I would pull.  I think if it had've been sunny I would have been happy to just toodle along as the course is really pretty.  But I didn't need to put myself in danger for a late season 'fun' race.  Of course, despite my asking if it was an issue, crossing the transition mat resulted in me looking like I had won the aquabike and the results were screwy online for awhile .  Anyway, not unhappy with my decision and got to be sherpa/support for my friends .  

That sounds miserable and dangerous and the right decision to stop. 

2019-09-16 5:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Back in Florida from an absolutely terrific time in western north carolina! I am very pleased with my race as i did much better than i thought i would due to lack of real run training the last 6ish weeks and no hill training. Went so well I managed 1st in my AG

ETA: please ignore the bad grammar and any spelling issues- it's been a long day !

Edited by amd723 2019-09-16 5:12 PM
2019-09-16 5:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Back in Florida from an absolutely terrific time in western north carolina! I am very pleased with my race as i did much better than i thought i would due to lack of real run training the last 6ish weeks and no hill training. Went so well I managed 1st in my AG

ETA: please ignore the bad grammar and any spelling issues- it's been a long day !

Nice!   Congrats.

2019-09-16 10:56 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I feel your pain....Assuming you are still somewhere in Western Canada? We have been having hideous weather here in Oregon as well, ever since the final miles of my half-marathon last Saturday, with only a day or so of break. Rain, violent at times, thunderstorms (usually rare), temps about 15-20 degrees below normal, wind, and fog. Biking conditions didn't sound safe and I think you made the right decision.

I was really bummed about missing probably my last OWS opportunities of the season, and chances for outdoor biking diminishing with each week. I think I can physically do it now, but either work demands or weather continue to put me on the trainer and in the pool. Grrr.
2019-09-17 8:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
What's with all the crazy rain? It's been beautiful in the northeast (not trying to rub it in - just comparison)

Great job AM
Great CALL Kirsten - sounded miserable!

It's only Tuesday but it feels like Friday which is very disappointing.

If I get a vote, I like black
2019-09-17 9:03 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

September 14-15

Is anyone else racing?

Congratulations! You crushed it!

2019-09-17 9:03 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk What's with all the crazy rain? It's been beautiful in the northeast (not trying to rub it in - just comparison) Great job AM Great CALL Kirsten - sounded miserable! It's only Tuesday but it feels like Friday which is very disappointing. If I get a vote, I like black

Everyone gets a vote.  Your vote makes it a tie ;-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107