BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-03 10:58 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by melbo55

Kirsten and Karen - you definitely have some bossy and controlling co-workers!  I think Shelby takes the cake, though, relegating you to the floor while she watches from atop her throne aka your former office chair.  LOL

I was late to the trainer survey but did it a few minutes ago.

I think we should set up some sort of virtual manatee something, whether it be a virtual 5K or a Zoom ride or the like.  No winners, no losers, just a planned manatee activity 'together'.  Any interest?

Melanie, as is apparent, I am not on a trainer, so, if we were to Zoom ride, I'd have the app on my phone, pointing up at me while I ride my fixie on the road. Which would be interesting indeed! 

We are doing Zoom happy hour tonight with some friends, and a family get together later this evening. We've been trying to video chat more often with friends and family for the past few weeks. It has helped ease the isolation, at least for me it has.

2020-04-03 11:11 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner On the subject of coworkers, this really happened! I have commandeered Shelby's de facto "nap chair" in our study/exercise room for its intended use as a desk chair while on a conference call and preparing online lessons. I moved the cushion and towel we had on it onto the floor for her to hang out on (She always keeps me company at "work" or during workouts in that room.) Shelby dutifully stayed on her floor "nest" till I had to take a quick bathroom break. When I came back, there she was back in "her" chair at the desk. So I sat on the floor to finish up, and had Mom take a picture. This coworker is COMPLETELY out of control. My real-life colleagues already expect her sudden appearance on video calls each day. All three co-workers also do the piteous whining an hour early thing too. They must have gotten a time change memo that the rest of us missed.

Thank you for today's laugh! That is awesome.

One of the challenges I have at the office is the is the number of walkups I get at my desk, simply due to the fact that I have gained a lot of information over the time I have been with the company. Some things are related to my department, some are not.  This came to a halt when I started working remotely and I have gotten a LOT done in the past two weeks. TW and I work for different parts of the same company and she was finally sent home to work this week. And, boom, I got my first walkup this week! I had to laugh, because it was something not in my department, or even close, but I dug through the memory bank, some documentation, and 10 minutes later, the question had been answered. So, my long winded observation is that some co-workers are better than others and I'll gladly take the one that has work questions over one that steals my chair. 

2020-04-03 11:44 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Kirsten and Karen - you definitely have some bossy and controlling co-workers!  I think Shelby takes the cake, though, relegating you to the floor while she watches from atop her throne aka your former office chair.  LOL

I think we should set up some sort of virtual manatee something, whether it be a virtual 5K or a Zoom ride or the like.  No winners, no losers, just a planned manatee activity 'together'.  Any interest?

Melanie, as is apparent, I am not on a trainer, so, if we were to Zoom ride, I'd have the app on my phone, pointing up at me while I ride my fixie on the road. Which would be interesting indeed! 

We are doing Zoom happy hour tonight with some friends, and a family get together later this evening. We've been trying to video chat more often with friends and family for the past few weeks. It has helped ease the isolation, at least for me it has.

I agree, a virtual something could be fun.

We are doing a family Zoom happy hour tonight as well. Should be fun.  My bro's family does happy hour for themselves quite often, but this is our first invite .

I have to be honest, as a bit of a loner, I am not really having a tough time with the isolation. I know it is really difficult for some. I have been riding virtually with my training partner, and we have met for 6ft-apart runs, but otherwise, I haven't seen anyone but my dogs and my partner and I am perfectly okay with it!

Hang it there everyone!

2020-04-03 12:45 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wait! I thought that you were getting a trainer!

2020-04-03 1:08 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

We are doing a family Zoom happy hour tonight as well. Should be fun.  My bro's family does happy hour for themselves quite often, but this is our first invite .

I have to be honest, as a bit of a loner, I am not really having a tough time with the isolation. I know it is really difficult for some. I have been riding virtually with my training partner, and we have met for 6ft-apart runs, but otherwise, I haven't seen anyone but my dogs and my partner and I am perfectly okay with it!

Hang it there everyone!

I've been reading about all those zoom videos people thought were private being viewed by whoever wants to view them and how some are really, really personal; so I hope everyone is paying attention to security when using zoom! Zoom's founder basically said Yikes!

2020-04-03 1:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Hang it there everyone!

I've been reading about all those zoom videos people thought were private being viewed by whoever wants to view them and how some are really, really personal; so I hope everyone is paying attention to security when using zoom! Zoom's founder basically said Yikes!

Yes, don't use a wide open Zoom session. Either set a password or enable the waiting room (when people join, you have to let them in). 

2020-04-03 2:02 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

I signed up to participate in this study. Basically Scripps scientist want to harness data collected from our smart watches to help predict and fight viruses. They are looking for as many users possible. I decided it would be fun to save the world so am doing it!

Disclaimer: My sister and BIL are research scientist at Scripps, though not part of this study.

2020-04-03 2:12 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hang it there everyone!

Same... I am finishing up Week 5 of work-from-home-isolation and still thriving. I love it. I told my boss the other day that I could do this for the rest of my life. I do miss seeing my work friends, but we IM constantly and are on team video calls all the time, so I still get to interact with them. Still talking to my family the same amount of time, even more. I'm getting more sleep, cooking healthy meals and spending the time with my dog that she deserves. The only workout thing that's changed for me is no lap swimming. But other than that, this is my best life!

2020-04-03 3:27 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Perhaps a virtual manatee 5K?  Trying to get everyone coordinated for some sort of live group interface might be akin to herding cats.

Fun April holidays we could turn into event day(s):  maybe do a 5K walk, run, whatever mode of movement that makes you happy

April 6: tartan day - wear some sort of plaid or Scottish garb 
April 7: national beer day (although I know not all manatees are beer drinkers - we'll accept other drinks)
April 11: pet day
April 16: high five day
April 22: earth day
April 24: arbor day
April 26: pretzel day
April 30: international jazz day

2020-04-03 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I signed up to participate in this study. Basically Scripps scientist want to harness data collected from our smart watches to help predict and fight viruses. They are looking for as many users possible. I decided it would be fun to save the world so am doing it!

Disclaimer: My sister and BIL are research scientist at Scripps, though not part of this study.

I'm in!

2020-04-03 4:41 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Perhaps a virtual manatee 5K?  Trying to get everyone coordinated for some sort of live group interface might be akin to herding cats.

Fun April holidays we could turn into event day(s):  maybe do a 5K walk, run, whatever mode of movement that makes you happy

April 7: national beer day (although I know not all manatees are beer drinkers - we'll accept other drinks)

Whatever the people want. I'd be happy to have a weekly Zoom meetup -- even just 30 minutes of chitchat is fine -- or a Zwift meetup. 

I'll see about setting up a Manatee Discord server.  We could use that to talk as we "workout together:"

2020-04-03 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm in!

Welcome to the superhero club

2020-04-03 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Whatever the people want. I'd be happy to have a weekly Zoom meetup -- even just 30 minutes of chitchat is fine -- or a Zwift meetup. 

I'll see about setting up a Manatee Discord server.  We could use that to talk as we "workout together:"

I don't own any of the bolded items! I probably can work a beer into my routine. But really I'm pretty open to anything. Janyne I don't know what a discord server is, but it sounds like it fits with this group!

2020-04-03 5:21 PM

User image

Expert

I don't own any of the bolded items! I probably can work a beer into my routine. But really I'm pretty open to anything. Janyne I don't know what a discord server is, but it sounds like it fits with this group!

What about April 21st? Jim's virtual birthday party! Key Lime pie or any kind of pie with a candle,

The only plaid I own is flannel. I definitely don't have a kilt.
2020-04-03 6:06 PM

User image

Master

Hang it there everyone!

Yes, don't use a wide open Zoom session. Either set a password or enable the waiting room (when people join, you have to let them in). 

Mine have all been private sessions (I don't pretend to understand, but the people setting them up seem to!). Scary what hackers can get up to.

2020-04-03 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Every day is pet day in our household!

2020-04-04 7:18 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by lisac957

Hang it there everyone!

Same... I am finishing up Week 5 of work-from-home-isolation and still thriving. I love it. I told my boss the other day that I could do this for the rest of my life. I do miss seeing my work friends, but we IM constantly and are on team video calls all the time, so I still get to interact with them. Still talking to my family the same amount of time, even more. I'm getting more sleep, cooking healthy meals and spending the time with my dog that she deserves. The only workout thing that's changed for me is no lap swimming. But other than that, this is my best life!

My boss told me today that I might be getting contacted by co-workers with questions, since I am thriving and others are struggling. "What are you doing that makes it this way?", she asked. Simply mindset was my answer. You pay me to work, I sit here and work. No distractions, no chattering in the next cubicle, no walkup stories about kids, grandkids, etc. We do a 15 minute morning team video meeting, I get my fill of stories and chatter and I am good for the day. I check in via chat near the end of the day with a few people that need it, I have a video chat for 15 minutes in the afternoon with a lady I am training, and we have an ongoing chat for work stuff every day. I actually think it is a bit much on the "contact others" side of things, but I do understand how challenging the adjustment can be for some people. I did warn her that she may be getting a written request for 4 days of remote work a week from me when this is all over.

2020-04-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Preliminary survey results (12 responses)

90% wheel on trainers

Hardware specifics

• 5 Cyclops trainers (1 Magneto, 1 Magnus, 2 fluid, 1 unnamed)
  • 3 Wahoo (2 Kickr Snap, 1 Kickr)
  • 2 Elite trainers (1 Suito, 1 fluid)
  • 1 Kurt Kinetic lime green trainer
  • 1 Tacx

Regarding software, people could select more than one:

• 5 The Sufferfest
  • 4 Zwift
  • 3 TrainerRoad
  • 2 None
  • 1 Rouvy
  • 1 uses Garmin head unit to drive the trainer (Training Peaks > Garmin)
  • 1 I have tried Zwift but my plan is HR and time based ...

This is now outdated! I just reactivated my old ROUVY account. They have really added some great features since I last used it and it is the cheapest of the platforms.  They have things like zwift, eg, races, group rides, build your own workouts. And, like Sufferfest have real routes on the video - not zwift game stuff, but unlike Sufferfest your avatar is on screen as are others.

I figured they must have upped their game since IM is using that platform for its VR . One thing I really liked about Rouvy and missed when i left, is they have a lot of the IM racecourses, so you can ride those courses to prepare for your race or just check out other venues. 

There is a 14-day trial going on now - no cc needed, so if you have time on your hands, check it out! If enough of us like it we could create a Manatee group ride (i think).

If all goes well I will drop Zwift and keepRouvy and Sufferfest (bc for me it is the best workout and has yoga ).

ETA: fixed autocorrect.

Edited by amd723 2020-04-04 8:46 AM
2020-04-04 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

90% wheel on trainers

Hardware specifics

• 1 Tacx

• 5 The Sufferfest
  • 4 Zwift
  • 3 TrainerRoad
  • 2 None
  • 1 Rouvy

This is now outdated! I just reactivated my old ROUVY account. They have really added some great features since I last used it and it is the cheapest of the platforms.  They have things like zwift, eg, races, group rides, build your own workouts. And, like Sufferfest have real routes on the video - not zwift game stuff, but unlike Sufferfest your avatar is on screen as are others.

I figured they must have upped their game since IM is using that platform for its VR . One thing I really liked about Rouvy and missed when i left, is they have a lot of the IM racecourses, so you can ride those courses to prepare for your race or just check out other venues. 

There is a 14-day trial going on now - no cc needed, so if you have time on your hands, check it out! If enough of us like it we could create a Manatee group ride (i think).

If all goes well I will drop Zwift and keepRouvy and Sufferfest (bc for me it is the best workout and has yoga ).

rouvy and sufferfest are my apps of choice. I am currently riding (when i ride) the NYC triathlon route. It is fun to remember the route in real life as i am riding it..
2020-04-04 11:29 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarella

What about April 21st? Jim's virtual birthday party! Key Lime pie or any kind of pie with a candle,The only plaid I own is flannel. I definitely don't have a kilt.
i am up for any or all. And I do have a kilt. A running kilt, too.
2020-04-04 11:50 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

90% wheel on trainers

Hardware specifics

• 1 Tacx

• 5 The Sufferfest
  • 4 Zwift
  • 3 TrainerRoad
  • 2 None
  • 1 Rouvy

rouvy and sufferfest are my apps of choice. I am currently riding (when i ride) the NYC triathlon route. It is fun to remember the route in real life as i am riding it..

i just did the Boulder 70.3 course with the IM VR peeps. I really like it!

2020-04-04 3:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OK, I set up a Discord server.  Discord has both chat and voice channels.  It can be used from the web or from an app.  A lot of Zwift group rides have voice chat on Discord. I see no reason that we need to be on Zwift to Discord though. 

Team ODZ has a nice page on how to set up the Discord app, of you are interested (if not, my feelings are totally not hurt!)

https://www.teamodz.com/discord

This is the link to the Manatee Clubhouse chat.  That's probably the easiest way for people to join -- https://discord.gg/gku5QaS 

From there, I think that I can add you to voice chat (fingers crossed!)

(edited to add links to web (https://discordapp.com/)and app (https://discordapp.com/download)

Edited by jmkizer 2020-04-04 3:41 PM
2020-04-04 4:32 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

90% wheel on trainers

Hardware specifics

• 1 Tacx

• 5 The Sufferfest
  • 4 Zwift
  • 3 TrainerRoad
  • 2 None
  • 1 Rouvy

ooh thanks for the recommendation! gonna try it out this week. Would love it if it has the Tremblant Course on it 

2020-04-04 5:48 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

90% wheel on trainers

Hardware specifics

• 1 Tacx

• 5 The Sufferfest
  • 4 Zwift
  • 3 TrainerRoad
  • 2 None
  • 1 Rouvy

ooh thanks for the recommendation! gonna try it out this week. Would love it if it has the Tremblant Course on it 

they have the full

2020-04-04 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

OK, I set up a Discord server.  Discord has both chat and voice channels.  It can be used from the web or from an app.  A lot of Zwift group rides have voice chat on Discord. I see no reason that we need to be on Zwift to Discord though. 

Team ODZ has a nice page on how to set up the Discord app, of you are interested (if not, my feelings are totally not hurt!)

https://www.teamodz.com/discord

This is the link to the Manatee Clubhouse chat.  That's probably the easiest way for people to join -- https://discord.gg/gku5QaS 

From there, I think that I can add you to voice chat (fingers crossed!)

(edited to add links to web (https://discordapp.com/)and app (https://discordapp.com/download)

I've done something wrong! Will spend time figuring it out before I call uncle!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127